Needing reference to draw the characters you created/helped development

>needing reference to draw the characters you created/helped development

The absolute state of western animation

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LfKeQkXwGWk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Shouldn't they be using a predetermined and thoughtfully drawn out model sheet to reference from?

Yep, CalArts does this.

>successful person does something that helps make them successful
Are you upset that you did it the hard way and calarts STILL didn't accept your submission portfolio?

>needing ref to draw fucking SU to begin with
He's a special minority slot hire obviously.

That does seem odd.

its ian

>>needing reference to draw the characters
Only moron's WOULDN'T do this as it's how you stay ON MODEL. Jesus, the state of current Sup Forumscksuckers!

>OP doesnt understand how animation works. The Post

The alternative is to not use a reference and still need it.

Even if you absolutely believe you think you can draw a character from memory, its best to still go back to your references from time to time.
There's always something you're forgetting. Always.

Its how you stay consistent.

so?

I wish they'd use references while working on the actual show :^)

looks like the white knights are there already. With no arguments as always.

That is literally the point of reference sheets. I don't know why he's using google images.

>I can't pass a sally anne test so everybody is me, a non artist who can't memorize the design of a SU character

That's clearly OK KO you mongoloid. I've never watched the show and even I know that.

>step 1: say something pants on head retarded
>step 2: find someone who can't be bothered to argue with your stupid bullshit because you'll worm out of anything and continue to spout uninformed stupid shit
>step 3: declare victory

Oh joy yet another bait thread.

>artist doesn't use reference
>makes proportion or detail mistake
>angry neckbeards whine endlessly

>get "caught" using reference while doing quick doodles at a con
>angry neckbeards whine endlessly

There is no pleasing you pedantic cunts.

dude i like Ian but he is drawing Ruby

I know I shouldn't expect much from CalArts but after watching the Murata stream this looks downright sad.

I'm just giving my take on the issue based on my own experiences with my own characters. Human memory is inherently flawed

Dumb CalArts poster

Flip it and add some jeans and belts and you have a Digimon evolution chart.

kek.

That's normal. What I take issue with is googling pictures instead of using an actual chart. What the hell.

At a convention

>using google images instead of saved image containing a proper reference sheet.
This should be the real triggering part ladies and gentle men

ive heard flash animators claim that cartoon style is the hardest style to draw of all

i've heard that some people are fucking retarded

No, there isn't. It's all sound and irritation signifying nothing. Just ignore it.

Still drawing on paper... WTF is wrong with these people ?

>There is no pleasing you pedantic cunts.

Sure there is, learn basic anatomy and proportions, it's a skill you learn through practice.

When you are a professional you should know these things by heart, of course with the sad state of US comics and animation today everything is traced from a fucking Google image search...

i hope this post is self-aware

>picking references on google and not his own reference chart

The absolute state of western animation

>traced with my eyes
Post the art you do without references. Please. The only issue here is that he's using Google instead of a model sheet, and you'll do anything to shit on SU.

He's at a convention you donuts

For literal flash animation it can be because it's an outdated web programming engine with a trash animation pipeline that can't effectively do the smooth motion required for noodle-arm

It's a minor character who only appears like two or three times a season. I'm honestly not surprised he can't draw it from memory.

>donuts

user there's no need for such language.

Virgin SU CalArts Animator v. Chad Mangaka

youtube.com/watch?v=LfKeQkXwGWk

Honest talk for a bit. Murata is hardly your average mangaka. The guy's nuts even by the standards of the workaholic manga industry.

Give it back tyrone

yeah its not really fair to compare mere mortal artists to a god

Using references is one thing, character sheets exist for that, but using google images? What level of incompetence are they in?

>CalArts Animator
When was CalArts called SVA?

He’s at a con.

True, but that doesn't defeat the fact that SU artists need to get good and

I believe he should have prepared reference material beforehand, instead of just googling the character when necessary.

Outside of PPG and Gumball, when have cartoons ever traced from Google?

Hehehe

It was a request that was sprung on him during the con.
How do you prepare for that?

Im trying to get into making comics and keeping my characters on model as possible is hard, sometimes i can remember the whole design but stuff like the distances between eyes and other metric details are a problem, in all this kind of jobs the point is to work smarter and not harder.

If you're known for drawing and go to a con you should expect people to ask you to draw shit, no?

Japs win

Wouldn’t you expect people to ask you to draw something from your show, instead of asking for a character that’s had like 5 appearances.

>Japs win
You know what the ironic part is? Even though we constantly shit on western animators and shill the fuck out of Japanese artist, Japs actually love our shit. AT, SU, WBB, Gumball, OK KO, all have strong Japanese fanbases.

Bitch do you know just how many characters I've already created?

>cheeks react to mouth
Thought they were talking about his saggy buttcheeks for a second.

I thought the entire point of such a simplified character design was so that the artist could be capable of reproducing it from memory.

but then again you're comparing a Disney character from a +50 year old classic to a modern cartoon character. I don't know if you realize that's quite the gap and people realize this.

>so that the artist could be capable of reproducing it from memory.
Not even close. It's to speed up production and minimize costs. This isn't a feature fucking film, it's television.

Your Pokémon adventure begins now!

Are we calling using references tracing now? Is that where we're at, Sup Forums?

You're expecting competence in the modern animation industry? Too busy trying to get all of your friends hired as storyboarders and voice actors than do things the right way.

Are you complaining about him following the model sheet with his phone? Seriously? And then you’re going to complain about Steven Universe being off model?

No, retard, he’s drawing Ruby from Steven Universe. She is next to KO, who is covered by Ian’s arm.

It's actually a very good idea to draw a character several times without reference when you're in the designing process. That way you subconsciously boil down the design to the most relevant and important elements and cut the chaff from it, so to speak. It's also not bad to look up reference later, good artists draw a lot and it's completely understandable that they'd forget some of the details from another project if they've been focusing on something else. Heck, this is basically the crux of those pictures of artist evolutions over the years where you see a pretty straightforward character design ever so subtly change over the course of many years.

You physically change every couple of years into an entirely new person, its not out of the question that the way you handle art would change as well.

every time

>people that can't draw and have never worked on anything artistic in their lives criticizing the use of references
How cute. SU and OK KO are shit, but anybody knows how vital references are.
The only people that I've ever seen bashing the use of references are non-artists, since they think it's "cheating". It's just how their childish minds frame it for some reason.

Sup Forums is a wonderful board with such fulfilling discussion.

The issue I have is why are they using Google? Shouldn't they have model shots to use?

Why would he be carrying model sheets in his phone? It's still faster to just google them, they come up super fast.

Underrated post

>Referencing your past work to ensure a consistent product is bad

Even Murata uses references, but other posters seem to think that since he works so confidently and quickly it all comes instantly.

>Saving model sheets of every character on everything you've ever worked on and having to sort through them

Vs

>Google a picture

??????

Using references is just art 101.
People who complain about just dont work on anything art related. Your skill level is irrelevant you'll always use references when needed.

Akira Toriyama forgets who Piccolo is sometimes.

underrated would suggest this is a lesser known joke, and not one that gets used every single time that picture is posted.

Murata is a fucking god, it's really not fair to compare anyone to him. They'd all look like shit.

Murata uses references too.
You non-artists make me cringe.

He's a just a professional with the basic skills you'd be expecting from a professional. The West has hired way too much amateurs to remember how good someone who just actually go to art school and learn there can get without being a genius that ace his class.

>mfw Murata drawing that 135 page chapter in 4 weeks
I know it should inspire me but it honestly just makes me want to quit since I'll never be that good.

>Using references in a commission is bad

>135 page chapter in 4 weeks
>art that good

nani

Wouldn't they just have them saved on the office computers or something? Or even printed out? Why would you use something that isn't an official model sheet for reference?

Murata is either a god, insane or both.

He's a co-developer you retard, how do you minority hire someone who's been with the show since the pilot.

I dunno the context. If this was just off-the-cuff work for some commission I don't see why he would care enough to pull up official references. God knows they don't on their own show.

>He's just a professional with the basic skills you'd be expecting from a professional.
Murata's weeklies on Eyeshield 21, back when he was still a newbie, were putting fucking monthly artists to shame. His sequences for One Punch, which were basically storyboards, were too complex for one of Japan's best studios to actually match. He makes Iamishi and Tezuka look like fucking chumps, and the guy doesn't even work in animation.

He's not the best comics artist in the country, but he is freakishly adept. He is not "basic" by any stretch.

He's at a con.
Drawing a character he didn't design himself.
For a show he doesn't work on anymore.

Read the fucking thread.

Confidence.
He draws and commits.
The number one timesink for artists is second guessing yourself.

>Read the fucking thread
No thanks, I'm good. I see something on the front page and throw in my input, and reply when I get alerted of a response, that's all.

era's a (you) for the road, attention seeker.

>Drawing a character he didn't design himself.
ho we are rewtitting history now. This is getting rich, especially because ti's the fucking present.

You get one early on so you don't have to get one later on. The more control you have over diversity hires the better, you don't want to be on the team that gets given a really bad one.

>literally had a hand in making the show
>still pushing diversity hire narrative

I don't know why I expected any sort of rational thought from someone like you

I thought it was for faster animating and had nothing to do with memory