Why couldn't Sonic look like the Japanese version in Sonic CD?

Why couldn't Sonic look like the Japanese version in Sonic CD?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ66cmdpgrM
youtube.com/watch?v=zA9zwpMj_8A
info.sonicretro.org/Original_Story
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Instead he looks like he was shitted out by Ren and Stimpy in America

Because Sonic CD is a bad game that nobody played.

Look how gorgeous the cartoon is

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ66cmdpgrM

Because, until Adventure created a (somewhat) unified look across all media in 1999, there were essentially three different Sonics, one for each major region. Japan got a Sonic who had a cool laid-back attitude, while the US had a Sonic with more of a rad attitude (and the UK got a Sonic who was, quite frankly, an asshole). The designs reflected this.

Because Sega didn't die fast enough and Sonic team had time to improve him.

That animation is created by Toei...
Yeah, i wish a full anime with Toei

I did. Its the only reason I had a Sega CD. You think I bought that overpriced plastic for Sewer Sharks?

nice bait motherfucker

>I bought
... my mom bought*

Yeah, your mom bought it for me in exchange for a free ride.

It's not bait. The CD add-on was a commercial failure and Sonic CD has abysmal, incoherent level design.

Because for some reason they felt that they needed to make Sonic's design appeal more to Westerners, despite the fact that Sonic was specifically created with Western sensibilities in mind in the first place. Hell, the Japanese almost went overboard and gave Sonic fangs and had him be part of a rock band with a hot human girlfriend, but Sega of America told them to dial it back.

> Incoherent level design
Well, it's a game about traveler 3 phases of time with 2 possible endings...
Anyway, i'm defending this shit for the OST, Jap version.
A fucking cosmic travel style.

>abysmal, incoherent level design.
nice buzzwords

No the fuck you don't

>Well, it's a game about traveler 3 phases of time with 2 possible endings...
The time travel mechanic is why the level design is so bad tho.

Time travelling is impossible in 99.99% of any given level, you have to not only find the appropriate posts, but find the exact spots where they want you to build up momentum.

It made a lot of sense that the time travel was a leftover idea from Sonic 2's development, cuz that game actually has level design that lets you build momentum reliably and consistently. Sonic CD is just mediocre gameplay wise, but it has the slickest presentation with FMV and CD audio and all, plus it had the allure of being a game that most 90s Sonic fans never played, but it really doesn't deserve to be a sacred cow.

The funny thing is that all of those ended up happening eventually anyways.
>fangs
Sonic Unleashed
>rock band
Sonic Underground
>human girlfriend
Sonic 06

This is fact. Sega wanted Sonic to succeed in each individual region so each regional branch of the country was just given a copy of the original Sonic game and old "hey come up with a storyline and marketing that will sell in your country."

No one foresaw that eventually the Internet would connect all those places and that games would become more cinematic requiring it all to be unified later.

I have mixed feelings about removing Madonna/the rock band aspect. On the one hand, it may have made Sonic feel more derivative if he had to rescue a Jessica Rabbit/Princess Toadstool/Marian from Double Dragon-type groupie from Robotnik. On the other hand... the Sega of America woman who demanded these changes, Madeline Schroeder, gives me a vibe like she was #triggered by these, which is ironic cuz Sega tried hard to market Sonic as the "edgy" mascot, and anyway it just led to Sonic artists, both officially and young budding fan artists, drawing big busty HEDGEHOG girlfriends for Sonic, so if they had used Madonna maybe there wouldn't be so damn many furry fans...

So... none of you here have seen the movie then?

I was going to recommend it.

I have.
Too bad it never became an actual show. Imagine this and a Sonic show with "Man of the Year"'s setting running at the same time.

It would have just made him look more derivative. Other mascots did shit like that all the time when they wanted to look cool.

It was never going to be an actual show, that's some weird rumor that got started because kids in the early 2000s didn't know what an OVA was and thought it was analogous to a TV pilot.

delet your post and never come back.

I used to get it at my blockbuster as a kid. Makes me nostalgic as fuck.

Literally the #1 selling Sega CD game in US and UK, and #2 in Japan.

>Madeline Schroeder, gives me a vibe like she was #triggered by these
Oh shut the fuck up and stop looking for bullshit to draw ire over. Her suggestions (the slightly cuddlier aesthetic and lack of hard romantic ties) made him a much stronger mascot, especially with girls (there wouldn't be as much romantic speculation [shipping] if he was tied down with a hot human).

>On the other hand... the Sega of America woman who demanded these changes, Madeline Schroeder, gives me a vibe like she was #triggered by these
fuckin dumbass

Just what the fuck was 'Man of the Year' anyway? It's awesome and all, but why does it exist? Was it a pilot for a show or something?

I like the clasic look but how about Sonic Mania style?
youtube.com/watch?v=zA9zwpMj_8A

>the Sega of America woman who demanded these changes, Madeline Schroeder, gives me a vibe like she was #triggered by these

Have things really gotten so bad that people are trying to read inbetween lines that don't exist about events that happened over 25 years ago?

Why are you even surprised about this

The original story for Sonic, created by Naoto Oshima and a few others, was that in 1947, a test pilot nicknamed "Hedgehog" broke the sound barrier before Chuck Yeager, but died in the process. The flight jacket he wore had an emblem on the back featuring a blue hedgehog and the name "SONIC", drawn by his wife, Mary Garnet, who was a fairy tale writer and gave her husband the Hedgehog nickname because of his spiky hair. Mary would tell stories about Sonic to her daughter and other kids.

40 years later, a reporter or something bought that flight jacket after noticing Sonic on it and remembering hearing stories of him as a child, and she went to an airshow. But one of the WWII-era planes went haywire and caused a big fire. She nearly died, if it wasn't for a blue figure in white gloves and red shoes speeding her away to safety.

She wakes up in the hospital, and finds that the "SONIC" image on the Flight Jacket is gone.

Too bad the different continuities that the other countries made up caused this story to be practically unknown.

It was included with Sonic Jam on the Saturn. Chances are Sega had it produced specifically for the game to show off the Saturn's video ability.

Such an awesome movie. If it was only a little bit longer, maybe Sega would have tried to get it played in theaters. That would've been an awesome experience.

Why was there a catgirl?

Same reason Knuckles had a hat.

rate them

He looks better with blue arms.

I heard on Sup Forums that the Japs wanted the OVA to become a cartoon but by the time it came out, SoA already had a cartoon for the west, AoSTH and SatAM being one of there earliest. By the time a OVA show was brought up, SoA already had another show they pushed instead... that being Sonic Underground... so yeah.

>>fangs
>Sonic Unleashed
They have Sonic have fangs since Adventure mate.

Why is Rosy Rascal vastly superior to Amy in almost every way?

Why would you post this here instead of Sup Forums? Just why.

1 and 3 are Tyson Hesse, right? I feel like I'm betraying my inner weeb by saying this, but it's a tie between those two.

1-mania
2-cd
3-ova

3 is Hesse emulating 1.
You can tell because he doesn't bother to try and get Sonic's muzzle right.

That idea got scrapped even for Japan, but they ended up revisiting the fantasy idea with NiGHTS anyway.

It's better than every other story for Sonic, but it's not conducive to a long-running franchise so much as a few short stories.

And with good reason. This story is garbage.

Better than SatAM.

first one is CD

>tfw this is fucking real

Japan had two Sega CD games?

sounds like bullshit to me. don't believe everything you read on Sup Forums.

Metal Sonic is the best Sonic character of all time.

Write a better one, faggot.

l-lewd

MEET ME IN THE GAMESTOP PARKING LOT

Jesus fucking christ what am I even reading.

desu Toei Sonic is overrated.
Boils my blood that Tyson Hessei revived him and now people can't stop jerking off about him.

Give me a Sonic that looks like the airbrushed artwork from the official artwork with six curved spines instead of fucking Goku hair any day.

It was the 90's, video game characters weren't allowed to look on-model in animated adaptations. Personally I like their take on Robotnik in both cartoons more than the way he looks in game, classic or otherwise.

One doesn't talk.

Guess I'll be the one person to not fly into autistic rage mode with regards to this post and say I absolutely agree. In every interview, every documentary I've seen with the woman she comes across as a very uptight woman who was committed to Sonic being every bit as family friendly as Mario, even though the development team clearly saw him as something a little more adult.

The mentality of the average Breeziefag.
Shun them all.

OVA Sonic looks bad tho, he shouldn't be in this list. I don't get the love for the OVA desu. The story isn't good, the character designs look off, it has the human x animal sub plot that people hate from 06, the ending is so nonsensical it might as well be an episode of the super Mario Bros Super Show.

Is it because it's like a quick and easy shonen anime? I just don't get the love.

Just go watch literally any sonic show.

>On the other hand... the Sega of America woman who demanded these changes, Madeline Schroeder, gives me a vibe like she was #triggered by these

real or not. sonic 06 kinda show that sonic having a girlfriend (let alone a human one) was a pretty dumb idea

>it has the human x animal sub plot that people hate from 06
Except for some reason people didn't autistically rage about Sara the way they did Elise.

>Anyone who disagrees with my viewpoint is FLYING INTO AN AUTISTIC RAGE! THEY ARE SILLY!

Not helping your case, man.
The other side of the coin is that she was very protective of this new IP and wanted it to be inviting and sustainable. Saying she was "triggered" is pretty silly, and it's a dumb thing to criticize when everyone seems to the calls she made were good ones. Sonic's original design was kind of forgettable and hard for kids to draw.

But American Sonic is superior to Japanese Sonic in every regard.
Also, this.

Sonic Mania is basically just a slightly tweaked Sega CD animation intro Sonic though. And honestly, either of those designs are STILL the fucking best. They look great. They're simple but expressive. It's a testament to SEGA's unending ineptitude that this isn't the core Sonic design.

see
Add Underground and X to the list of cartoons with worse plots, while you're at it.

>literally any
>implying AoStH had a better story than the one Sonic Team made which combines real world history and fiction and makes something altogether more magical and mysterious
It's time for you to go back.

which, again, I don't understand why it gets a pass. Is it because there was no actual kiss? Because it's anime? Because it's classic Sonic? I just don't get it.

>But American Sonic is superior to Japanese Sonic in every regard.

I think the american canon is more interesting than the internationalized canon up to the Adventure games, but Sonic himself was an obnoxious cunt in the american canon.

>saying she was triggered is pretty silly
Good thing I never said that!

>the calls she made were good ones
Yeah, for the audience she wanted to reach. That doesn't mean that cutting out the rock band and hot girlfriend were necessarily good ideas. The fact that things worked out in their absence does not mean they wouldn't have worked out just as well or better had they left them in.

Remember that the average gamer would have been in middle school around that point in time and would have been playing NES for a few years. SEGA wanted Nintendo's market, and from the beginning they advertised it as an edgier, more mature console. Why then would Sonic having fangs and a hot girlfriend have been a bad idea?

>Sonic's original design was kind forgettable and hard for kids to draw
Sonic's official design hardly changed. From Sonic 1 through 3K there are only minor tweaks in his appearance. Guess which design I thought was cooler as a kid? The official one. And he's not that hard to draw.

She's slightly more abstract, being an anime cat girl instead of a weird alien faced realistic human.

why couldn't sonic just be good ever?

She does kiss Knuckles on the cheek at one point. Maybe Tails. I don't know, it's been a while since I watched it.

Probably because Sara was a very silly and exaggerated character, so she could get away with having a thing for a cartoon hedgehog. Elise was realistic to the point where it was weird to even see her interacting with Sonic, much less the romance.

Chris chan? Is that you?

That shit was designed and approved well before Sonic CD came out.

Either way Sonic CD is his best look with the Hesse artwork (which clearly takes a lot of cues from the CD design) a close second.

i haven't seen the OVA yet but i'm assuming it's probably all in the execution (which is probably why nobody raised eyebrows about maria)

keep in mind in addition to being a shitty game sonic 06's story was basically the twilight of video games.

also as i said earlier sonic having a girlfriend is dumb.

Regional adaptation. There is a short documentary on the history of Sonic. Sega of Japan reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllly did not like what America did to him but it was the only way Sonic would get accepted.

>silly and exaggerated character
So it's creepy when it's with a serious, realistic human, huh?

You were saying you wouldn't be the only one not "flying into autistic rage mode" over their comment. Considering people were calling user stupid for the "#triggered" comment, it's a pretty logical assumption you didn't find that statement questionable. Hence why I pointed back to that original poster's quote.

>Sonic's official design hardly changed
The original hedgehog design was pic related, you dope. That's the biggest part that Madeline went to Japan to talk to Sega about. To ignore how incredibly important the redesign to his iconic Genesis look was is a massive oversight. Regardless of your opinions on the rock band and the gigantic-tittied-huge-assed-blonde-human-girlfriend, she did far more good than anything.

>Why would band/girlfriend/original design be bad?
Longevity.
The concepts they scrapped were ones that would have kept Sonic from being able to work as a long-running franchise. The band thing was already considered a trite-as-fuck cliche by the 90's, no thanks to shit like The Archies and Jabberjaw. The human love interest would have drawn ire and age terribly over time. And, as we should all know by now, Sonic's finalized design is far more iconic than the first draft.

These things weren't inherently bad, but the changes absolutely benefited the brand in the long run. Try to imagine how they would update Madonna for Sonic Adventure, for instance, or how the few cutscenes we got in the classics would change with her addition. Please remember what the fuck the human models looked like in A1 and 2 for a second.

It's from a real Sega document, you autist: info.sonicretro.org/Original_Story

Fuck man I don't think I've ever been as happy for a game to exist as I was when I first saw this intro video. Maybe when the trailer before that with the sketchy designs came out.

Yes.

Jessica is a weird, exaggerated human whose sexuality is played up for laughs.
Elise is a normal teenager who acts like an awkward girl harboring emotional feelings for a 3 foot rat.

>These things weren't inherently bad, but the changes absolutely benefited the brand in the long run. Try to imagine how they would update Madonna for Sonic Adventure, for instance, or how the few cutscenes we got in the classics would change with her addition. Please remember what the fuck the human models looked like in A1 and 2 for a second.
Alright, you got me there. That's... a pretty horrifying thought.

That sounds fucking retarded, which is why I believe it.

It sounds retarded because user tried to condense it into a few paragraphs. Read the whole thing: info.sonicretro.org/Original_Story

>I think the american canon is more interesting than the internationalized canon up to the Adventure games

i think sonic should've taken cues from mario and stayed story light.

the insistence of a plot & the oversaturation of redundant & unnecessary side characters are probably two of the things holding sonic back

So you ARE chris chan? Only Chris chan would be this autistic about sonic

>Please remember what the fuck the human models looked like in A1 and 2 for a second.

Now I'm imagining Maria's model, except twice as tall, in a tight red dress, with huge low poly Tifa-tier tits and gross blocky hips.
I wish I wasn't.

There are no viable citations for anything there.

>I think the american canon is more interesting than the internationalized canon up to the Adventure games, but Sonic himself was an obnoxious cunt in the american canon.
Which is part of why it's better. Sonic is allowed to be wrong, act like a jerk and generally have flaws rather than being the sterling infallible quipster memelord he is in the Jap games.

Hell, American Sonic even BTFO's Japan's beloved DBZ powerlevel moments, something Japan is usually on point with.