What did you think of MCU Spiderman?

Is it faithful to the comics? Was it as good as Raimi's?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rqb_DTYNpE4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Is it faithful to the comics?
Fuck no. They go out of their way to separate themselves from it as humanly possible

Not in the slightest.

>Was it as good as Raimi's?
Fuck no.

pros:
>Keaton as Vulture
>not ASM or ASM2
>web shooters instead of organic spider wrist jizz

cons
>no uncle Ben
>Aunt May a 90's millf
>quips
>no MJ
>no Gwen
>nig love interest
>manlet Poo Flash
>Donald Glover just for a Miles Morales connection, despite this universe not being Ultimates so Young Peter won't be dying
>greasy hobo "Call me MJ"
>Shocker killed off for a gag scene
>somehow still an Iron Man-centric
>quips from anyone other than Parker
>not!Friday AI
>Spider Sense apparently exists but is not shown in any way
>Le Tech Suit
>worst costume design

it was shit user, and all those shit deviations from the comics will be canon now since MCU hasn't done a "soft reboot" since Ruffalo took over as Banner/Hulk

>Aunt May a 90's millf
that's a con?

>I know nothing about Spider-man except what people on Sup Forums tell me

>this thread
>again

I'd say it's faithful to the spirit of Spider-Man being a kid in over his head who has to learn the meaning of responsibility, though I'm sure I'll get yelled at for that opinion. Fags can't accept that the MCU does it's own thing as an alternate universe rather than adapting 616 or even Ultimate wholesale. You'd think after 20 fucking movies they'd be over it but here we are.

>clearly didn't watch the movie
>pissed about character race
or Sup Forums, take your pick

I know for a fact I've read more Spider-Man comics than you have. Especially if you think this dumpster fire is comic accurate

It's very much Ultimate Spider-Man in the same way that The Avengers is The Ultimates.

>it's faithful to the spirit of Spider-Man being a kid in over his head who has to learn the meaning of responsibility
This was not shown in the movie and I don't get this meme. Homecoming was about Peter proving to Tony and himself that he had what it takes to be a hero. Comic teen Spider-Man is what you described, a kid who was thrusted in a shitty situation and is struggling to make sense of life and what being a man means.

>brags about amount of Spider-man comics he's read
>hasn't read Ultimate Spider-man

>Homecoming was about Peter proving to Tony and himself that he had what it takes to be a hero
Being a hero means being responsible.

This movie wasn't like Ultimate Spider-Man either. Which was overrated trash by the way and relies WAY too heavily on conveniences.

>>Spider-Man two ends
>>Peter Parker comes home
>>"Aunt May? You home?"
>>Turns the corner
>>Aunt May is strung up and covered in blood on the wall.
>>Peter screams
>>Deadpool appears behind him
>>"Ya know, I was never a fan of What Women Want"
>>Shoots Spider-Man in the gut.
>>Peter falls to the ground
>>Deadpool stabs his katanas through his hands
>>"Now for the part fangirls want to see!"
>>Deadpool starts to anally rape Spider-Man
>>Camera zooms into Peter's screaming mouth
>>Bad Reputation by Joan Jet plays over the credits
>>Mid credits scene is Michelle saying "You know, it's cool that a white boy gets pegged for once"
>>Audience erupts into cheers.

>relies WAY too heavily on conveniences
What the fuck does this even mean?

Not at all. A hero can be an irresponsible piece of shit. The difference between someone lashing out at the world through vigilantism and a responsible hero is their motives. And what are Peter's motives in this? "I want to prove myself to Stark so he'll stop treating me like a kid". That's a selfish motive, which isn't responsible. Compare the comic If This Be My Destiny to the movie version and this difference becomes even more clear.

Yes, but he turns Stark down in the end.

Doesn't change the fact that he didn't learn how to be responsible and it was entirely out of selfish reasons.

It was my favorite Spider-man movie but that might change after I watch all of them again.
Thing is there aren't many options, Asm was shit on several levels and I never liked Raimi's Spider-man, for several obscure reasons.

Just as an example.
>Oscorp being the epicenter of EVERYTHING in Peter's life
>His parents just so happened to work with a rival company
>Who just so happened to work with Brock's parents
>Who just so happened to be working on a bio enhancing suit
>That Eddie just so happened to stumble upon and tells Peter
>Eddie just so happens to be working in a lab, so he can study this shit
>The suit just so happens to spill onto Peter and can only react to him as it just so happens that the suit can only react to someone with his father's DNA.
Everything was way to tightly knit together for my liking

Well, this rl peter is gay while Raimi's rl peter is fat.

You know, you're right actually. It's implied that he's already learned the responsibility lesson, presumably from Ben's death. The movie isn't about him learning to be responsible, but learning to be a hero while struggling with that responsibility and the conflicts it creates with his social life. I'd say that's still pretty classic Spider-Man.

Where I disagree with you is that Peter's motivation is inherently selfish or that said makes him irresponsible. As shitty as being a hero can be it's still something that Peter ultimately loves in the comics. There's nothing wrong with him being enthusiastic about it or wanting the respect of his elders.

>watch Homecoming
>Spider-Man acts like some annoying faggot millennial that gigglesquees any time another hero shows up or when he does just about anything
>fumbling around and acting like some overexcited 8 year old faggot half the movie
It was trash. This isn't how Peter should act, even as a kid.

I seriously hope you're not implying that Raimi's Peter was any better

>complains about quips in a Spider-Man movie
Are you legitimately retarded?

>no uncle ben
who's uncle ben?

Homecoming wasn’t really faithful to the comics all that much, but it does take basic elements and elements from different sources. Like how Ned (the guy in the chair) was pretty much Genke from Miles’s Ultimate run. There were some things about it though that make it better than Raimi (more depth with Peter’s high school life, better world building and characterization)

The Raimi films weren’t even that accurate with how Peter’s web came out of his wrist and how they pretty much nerfed his intelligence.

They got a lot of things right, and a lot of things should've been handled better.

There was a lot of great shit like Peter going out of state just to track down badguys, and personal sacrifice like leaving his homecoming date to go stop a villain. His shittalking was pretty good, he embarrassed the shit out of regular goons, but he was a little too under powered against Vulture.

You could argue him trying to impress Tony was like how he initially tried to get into the FF and Avengers but ended up disgusted with both of them for a while, but I think people were too pissed (like me) that Tony made his classic suit and gave him all sorts of gadgets.

If Peter had made his original costume, and the suit Tony made for him in Civil War was the Iron Spider, I think a lot of complaints about "Uncle Tony" would have been erased. That's what they should have done really.

They shouldn't have had a corny ass Iron Man voice over play over him lifting the rubble off him. They should've saved that for a later movie. It was too early, and wasted on a low tier villain like Vulture.

Like all comic adaptations, it was fun, but they got some things right and some wrong.

>You could argue him trying to impress Tony was like how he initially tried to get into the FF and Avengers but ended up disgusted with both of them for a while
Spotted the guy who has no idea what he's talking about

I should fix that and say "like most" adaptations

Blow me

I liked Spider-Twink and the bond he had with his friend. I hated Tony played daddy.

>His shittalking was pretty good
His shit talking fucking sucked. He didn't talk any shit because they were afraid to be accused of "bullying"

Calling Vulture "Big Bird" was the best line he's had in any of these movies.

Andrew Garfield was a master of bants regardless of what you think of the movies.

Quality non-withstanding, Homecoming is way, way, way more faithful than Raimi or Webb's, and that's not up for discussion.

Garfield and Stone were both absolutely perfect. They were perfect together.

>how he initially tried to get into the FF and Avengers but ended up disgusted with both of them for a while
>disgusted at them
What the fuck? How the fuck was he disgusted by Tony? Watch the movie.
youtube.com/watch?v=Rqb_DTYNpE4

I liked TASM1 a ton, I just don't think his jokes were amazing. He was a lot better than Tobey in that regard though.

>ended up
He hated them from day one. The only reason he tried to join any of them was to take care of his dying aunt. You know, one of the main driving forces of the teenage Spider-Man stories? The thing they took out of this movie? The thing they took out of ALL the movies.

I wasn't talking about the movie. I was saying how it was kinda similar to ideas they had in the comics. Like following Vulture being similar to him going to Florida to see what was up with the Lizard.

>implying superhero movies will EVER be close to the comics

>this is considered shit talking.
He should have been throwing insults.

>no uncle Ben
Why would you want to see a third version of that? We would literally have three eSpider-Man movies with three different actors that tell the exact same story.
>Aunt May a 90's milf
What are you, gay?
>quips
You're complaining about quips in a fucking Spider-Man movie. Neck yourself
>No MJ or Gwen
We already saw one MJ and two Gwens, it's redundant to tread that ground again, at least in film.
>nig love interest
Not a legitimate complaint, plus she was not in the movie that much and left at the end, so she won't be back.
>Manlet Poo Flash
At least he wasn't that aggressively fucking cheesy flash from the Raimi movie.
>Donald Glover cameo
He wasn't there only for a Miles connection retard, he was there to give Peter information in that one scene
>greasy hobo call me MJ
She wasn't that bad of a character but yeah the call me MJ part was bad
>Shocker killed off for a gag scene
Who fucking cares, they pretty much established anyone with that tech can be the Shocker so they'll bring it back if they want to
>somehow still Iron Man-centric
Oh so you didn't watch the movie.
>quips from anyone other than Parker
The literal point of this movie was to be a John Huges-type high school comedy with Spider-Man in it
>not!FridayAI
Karen was cute and you're a homo
>Spider sense
He probably just hadnt developed it enough yet to use it effectively.
>Le tech suit
Didn't have it for the final fight which made it all the more satisfying when he won
>worst costume design
He looked fresh as fuck please reconsider your criticisms

Didn't say it was better than anything he's said in the comics, said it was the best he's had in the movies.

The big bird comment wasn't shit talking. It was just running commentary. shit talking is about insults and trying to get under someone's skin.

>he literal point of this movie was to be a John Huges-type high school comedy with Spider-Man in it

To be honest I went into Homecoming wanting to hate it, but ended up pleasantly surprised and had fun.

But what the fuck is up with these weird ideas for movies like that? I get what they were trying to say, but fuck trying to make a "John Hughes" movie with Spider-Man, just fucking make a Spider-Man movie.

Like Snyder saying "Like Seven Samurai, but with the Justice League."

Calling him Big Bird is making fun of his outfit thus shittalking. Stop splitting hairs.

I wish Spider-Man fans had directed this kind of anger and nerd rage toward the Raimi films.

Finally bought the blu-ray and watch it. It's probably my favorite cape movie this year (haven't seen Ragnarok yet), don't really care if it wasn't extremely accurate, I thoroughly enjoyed it enough to watch it again and again.

>Movie full of immature humor
>Pete never says "I fucked your daughter" to Vulture

Missed opportunity

>quips
It's a fucking Spider-Man flick you mong

>Calling him Big Bird is making fun of his outfit thus shittalking. Stop splitting hairs.
Except Keaton Vulture doesn't look anything like big bird, so it rolls right off him. Spider-Man should have been insulting him and cutting him where it hurts.

>Except Keaton Vulture doesn't look anything like big bird,

He's in a fucking bird costume, he doesn't have to. He's being compared to something else that's silly.

Again, stop splitting hairs. It wasn't the greatest adaptation but you're nitpicking on that one.

>the character is all quips and sunshine all day
I get you enjoy "precious smol cinnamon roll" Peter, but come on now. A little bit of gravity wouldn't kill the guy.

keep being a salty bitch user

No, seriously, go play in traffic. The world will not miss you.

He's wearing jeans and a bomber jacket with a flight helmet. He's not wearing a silly bird suit.

Because it's an easy way to build up hype for your shit while illustrating your product even if it's bullshit.
>It's like "critically acclaimed beloved classic" but with superheroes

He called him Big Bird when he was flying around in his robot bird suit.

He doesn't look all that bird like. Making it less effective.

>REEEEEE SOMEONE DOESN'T LIKE MY SHITTY ADAPTATION!

Really? He's comparing him to a child's puppet character. That's the insult.

user, this is not the hill you want to die on

>Big wings
>Flies around
>Talon feet that he grabs stuff with

I don't know if you're legitimately retarded or just pretending to be for (you)'s.

Hold ON here.

Are you trying to say Big Bird DOES look like a traditional bird?

>He hated them from day one.
Read the comic where the Avengers invite him to join again, he's ecstatic and he really wants to prove himself. When he finds out Bruce is the Hulk, and that the Avengers basically sent him to beat up a poor tortured scientist as his test, that's when he turns them down, which is played as an "I can't believe I'm doing this," sort of thing.

Of course not. Big Bird is not a traditional bird. There's very little comparison between Big Bird and Vulture
He looks more like a fighter pilot with robot wings than a bird.
He should have done more than that. One insult, and not even a good one doesn't make him a master shit talker.

No, he was excited he was going to have a way to provide his aunt's much needed medication. Then when he got there he started shit talking everyone like a prick.

>Was it as good as Raimi's
Fuck no. As competently made and non-cheesy as it was, MCU's Spider-Man genuinely kind of lacked the heart of Raimi's.

>I don't get itttt.
>He doesn't look like a biiird!

No fucking way in hell and no
oh boi the disney shills are killing it today

All of those, except for maybe the first bullet, are just you saying the same thing in different ways, and overall that represents a pretty small part of the comic's run.

This is the worst Spider-Man movie to date.
>inb4 the TASM series
TASM was great and comic-accurate as fuck (except for a few things), the normies hated it because >muh mcu

>pictured: Peter being ecstatic to meet his idols

I didn't care for how Peter was a wuss even in the suit.
To me Peter Parker is the awkward nerdy dork, but once he puts on the mask he becomes Spider-Man, the confident, quipping hero. It's a clear distinct difference between the two, but the movie makes Spidey as awkward and dorky while in the suit.

Okay. On rewatches Raimi's is awkward but holy shit is it so much fucking better than this version.

It never had that moment you should always have in a Spider-Man. Hell the shoutout to the moment from the previous moment from Spider-Man had it capped off by no Peter fucked up and Iron Man had to swoop in to fix it.

I feel like it was...the safest MCU movie ever made. Like there were not really any risks, story was generic as hell, the characters were incredibly boring aside from Tom Holland and Micheal Keaton. Honestly just very boring and forgettable, which showed when it was pretty much dropped from people's memories a few weeks after it was released.

>Peter, you shouldn't be taking on these criminals by yourself, I'm taking away your suit
>Peter, thank you for taking care of those criminals by yourself, here's your suit back and an invitation to join the Avengers

Some character arc.

I don't know what it is about Thor's face, but I always find it hilarious in this panel

Personally, I'd have liked if Peter was a little more bitter and cynical out of the suit. You'd still get the duality, but have Peter be sick of all the shit he's dealing with and not peppy and Spider-Man is out and he finally gets to enjoy himself. He's already been dweeby, they could have used this as a chance to do something new.

It's weird how Peter seems totally okay with not being Spider-Man once Tony takes away the suit.

I mean, he gets back into gear once he finds out about the Vulture, but it feels really unlike Peter for him to stop giving a shit about helping people because Tony grounded him - especially when he still has his powers and his webshooters.

>pilot with robot wings
>different than a bird
Jesus Christ, you're kidding right?

It's okay this time because he saved Tony's stuff.

If they were going to go with some young kid and a young aunt why not just make it Miles? I mean I'd rather they fuck with his character than make Peter even worse than the movies already have.

No, Peter in the comics isn’t some spazzing autistic hyper Stark fanboy. With that said, I welcome this characterization because I’m fucking sick of whiny angsty Peter Parker.

You can bitch all you want about how I’m missing “the point” of Spider Man by not liking how Peter feels he’s “cursed” with powers but I don’t care. I want a Spider Man who enjoys being Spider Man and WANTS to help people instead of doing it out of guilt over his dead Uncle who would never approve of him being so self destructive

No, that's the point.

>Was it as good as Raimi's?
Yes

cringe

>Faggot with no agency
Yes.

>No, Peter in the comics isn’t some spazzing autistic hyper Stark fanboy
Another person who hasn't read Ultimate Spider-man.

He wasn't that in Ultimate either you faggot. He admired Stark for the technological advances he made, but that's as far as it went.

They took some liberties, but it was enjoyable. Raimi-man is still my favorite, but it was 1000x better than the garbage "everything is Oscorp" ASM universe we almost had to endure.

>still posting about things you haven't read

I'm not a fan. It was just OK, I'll probably give the sequel a miss.
But then I am not all that crazy about Spiderman anyway.

>Still pretending you read it instead of looking at some shitty Tumblr blog

Because nobody cares about Miles or wants to see a film about him.
And now that Bendis is gone, I hope Miles follows.

Ok and? Tony took Peter on a tour. I read all of Ultimate Spider Man and the only fanboyish thing about him is he wants to join the Ultimates one day. Meanwhile MCU Peter makes the Avengers his first priority and nearly dropped out of high school over it.

Ok, maybe I should've posted the version with text. Sorry that I have to spoonfeed you.