Am I the only one that was more offended by Watchmen's atrocious color grading than the changes to the source material?

Am I the only one that was more offended by Watchmen's atrocious color grading than the changes to the source material?

You have one of the most colorful comics of all time and Zach Snyder decides the story wasn't mature enough without an ugly-ass blue monochrome filter slapped over it.

You can hardly make out all the the colors they actually put in the movie sets and costumes.
I mean, how juvenile do you have to be to think a movie can't be dark without literally looking DARK.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2ZE5sEgqruU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

> watchmen
> colourful

My decision to not watch this movie continues to feel like the right one. Bet they do the same shit or near the same for the TV series.

There is something exceptionally weird about it when Watchmen is such a vibrant comic (to the point of garishness at times).

I'll never understand why actual Sup Forumsfags defend Synder. At least Sup Forums has the excuse that they don't read comics

I mean, in the most literal sense it is. The bold yellows are especially important thematically.

Why did they have to pick such a fuckboy looking actor to play Ozymandias

Ozy is bright purple and bright gold, the Comedian is garish in his first incarnation and so are both Silk Spectres. The giant squid alien is Barney colored. The comic was incredibly vivid.

Others feel you, it's just one of those things where despite claims of "panels-as-storyboard" faithfulness, the movie is so clearly smeared from Snyder's revisions to suit his preferences that details like color theory and costume design end up symptoms you can lump under the one disease.

Take Nite Owl II's costume change to look faultless at both periods he wears it, and how it removes visual cues about Dan's arc.
The old costume he wore not fitting so well should highlight the obvious clash between his dreams and reality. I use that phrasing with purpose, in the comic Dan is visibly his younger, fitter self naked and costumed after discarding his old skin and returning as Nite Owl II in his dream.
That's gone from the movie, it's "smart" enough for more "grown up" cape stories, but ideas grown ups deal with aren't cool enough. So what you're left with is just juvenile.
Snyder never want flaws that actually make anyone look human instead of just facilitating cinematic brooding. So under the rug Dan's insecurities go, he's just an unironic reborn action hero now.

So often people talk about how Snyder adds depth and humanity to comic book movies but upon examination there's consistent evidence how he actively discards complexity. The heroes don't have to be losers, but displays like Rorschach going into a choreographed fight with the cops instead of the sporadic and overwhelming incident it was goes to show a preference for shallow spectacle over any substance.

Due to careful conditioning droves of popcorn disposals eat his method up, so there's little you can say in bullet point format that will find its way. Sticking to the header
>Zack Snyder is a hack idiot
Is the simplest summary, and least waste of time going over individual proofs, because as we now know in time he'll just prove it all for you and his sycophants will either accept the inevitable or double down on blind ignorance.

the comic has like 6 colours tops overall.

It's palette it's closer to Disney's Four Color Comics than to anything that i would call "full of colour" i. e. -- colourful.

But the atrocious color grading WAS a change to the source material.

I must have watched a different version of this movie. than you as the version i saw had colors that matched the look of the comic. Also probably the only movie where Snyder built sets rather than went green screen crazy for the whole movie. Watchmen is fucking gorgeous on Blu Ray, i still need to get the UHD ultimate cut.

>*glomf* Oh god Mr. Snyder Sir please let me keep sucking your cock

>I don't have any sort of counter argument of any kind so i'll just shit post like a faggot

>one of the most colorful comics of all time

fassbender should have been cast

>I must have watched a different version of this movie. than you as the version i saw had colors that matched the look of the comic. Also probably the only movie where Snyder built sets rather than went green screen crazy for the whole movie. Watchmen is fucking gorgeous on Blu Ray, i still need to get the UHD ultimate cut.

complete bullshit, why would you lie about this?

oh yes, the secret watchmen: uncolor-graded edition. please.

I know, I know.
I just don't see the complaint come up too much. If nothing else, give us something to look at that's pretty, right? What pisses me off is that THE SETS AND COSTUMES ARE COLORFUL. But they're buried under the post-production filter.
Like imagine Zach saying,
>"you know what guys? how can we tell you Ozymandias is the bad guy and slap you in the face with it! I know, make his lair the most gloomy blue place possible!"

it's not fucking blue/green monochrome, that's for sure

>I mean, how juvenile do you have to be to think a movie can't be dark without literally looking DARK.
Because the silliness created by the colors destroys our ability to immerse ourselves in the environment & situation.

I dunno, people got invested in Avatar and that was bright blue cat people fighting mecha. Have a bit more faith in humanity's ability to suspend disbelief.

I thought it suited the film. What works for comics doesn't necessarily work for film. I think if they stuck to the original colours, the film would have been hard to watch and all over the place tonally.

Ozy's actor bothered me more. Why didn't he roid?

Tthat was in a bright exotic jungle environment were wondrous colors are expected, this is a tale that takes place mainly in run down, hazy, gritty, rustic New York.

Also the blue cat people felt natural because the CGI was so well done at the time, colorful superhero suits will just come off as cheap cosplay instead of realistic like that.

It's a dumb decision. Snyder fid a fine job with Watchmen and the Director's cut is excellent. Don't let the Snyder haters ruin it for you. Whatever you think of him, this is a good film with a great cast.

>this is a good film with a great cast.
Except Malin.

Wish Lynn Collins was Silk instead of Silver Fox in Wolverine Origins the same year.
No matter how much you hate Snyder's Watchmen, Wolverine Origins is factually HUNDREDS of times worse.

you are literally proving my point by posting four colour page

you're right user, real life is never sad because it's just too colorful

when my cat died, I wasn't sad because the whole room wasn't suspended in an ugly monochrome blue fillter

good logic m8

as opposed to 1 color: blue?

And all of those colors are pretty bright and vibrant.

I think there must be something wrong with Snyder's eyes. That's the only explanation.

David Fincher is one of the worst things to ever happen to film.

The man is an incredible filmmaker, but he's produced so many ripoff hacks that just steal from him liberally and never actually use his tricks well, and unlike the Tarantino knockoffs we've never purged all of them. Every faggot who abuses color grading and grimdark tones poorly can be traced directly to him.

>My decision to not watch this movie continues to feel like the right one
youtube.com/watch?v=2ZE5sEgqruU
THE MOST MEMORABLE DEATH SCENE FOR ALL CAPE MOVIES.

This shitty marvel and DC movies have yet to compare to this one scene and I fucking doubt marvel or DC will

Watch the directors cut

I remember watching Watchmen expecting it to be a total dumpster fire, but it was honestly pretty decent? There was some relatively minor things I would've changed but it wasn't nearly enough to make me hate the movie...especially compared to Snyder's other films.

The movie is legit good and the most accurate movie based on a comic you'll ever find. Yes they changed the end but that's nothing compared the radical differences you'll find in other cape movies.

Not even Snyderkino posting here, Watchmen is simply a good movie.

>The movie is legit good and the most accurate movie based on a comic you'll ever find. Yes they changed the end but that's nothing compared the radical differences you'll find in other cape movies.

Accuracy has nothing to do with quality.

he never said it did

The brown'n'bloom has been talked to death. You're not the only one, OP.

That doesn't negate the use of color.

>that reading comprehension

Just watch the movie and stop being a faggot. Or at least just watch the movie.

It's an autistic manchild that doesn't understand that the watchmen comics were limited by the printing technology of its time. The movie is extremely colorful, thing is for the Sup Forums manchild at least the movie looks like a cartoon it doesn't look good. Complaints about the color grading in watchmen it's like crying over the movie having sound while the comic didn't had it.

It's shit. Forget the ending they fucked up ozymadias. Made him come across as way to sinister before the reveal.

Have you guys not figured out Watchmen sucks yet?

Please, tell us more about how Gibbons would have made everything fucking blue and yellow if he'd only had the technological capabilities.

He wouldn't. He would had used similar colors of he were in charge of making a movie. Because the cinematic language is different than the one in comics.

Compare the colors in a 1985 Spider-Man comic to watchmen. And then compare raimis Spider-Man to watchmen. Choosing different color palets for your movie is not different than what artists do. The watchmen movie didn't need to look like the comic, all it needs it's too find an equivalent in the medium it is, and that's what you get. Same for the suits, the archetypes in comics are not the same archetypes you get in the movies.

Pic related got a huge shitstorm and that should tell you how different watchmen could look. The physical limitations of the day produced creative content but that doesn't mean it's always the way artists wanted it to be.

Snyder fags think putting a dark tint over the movie makes it mature and deep. Colors are for children apparently.

Imagine a Watchmen movie that goes out of its way to look just like the comic, like Sin City did

that hat will never not bother me

It would look like shit.

reading between the lines he is pretty sinister in the original book, it just isn't as obvious as the movie

What's with the Snyder shills out in full force today? The movie is ok, Snyder's best for sure. That being said, every change from the comic was for the worse, and the only good parts of the movie are the parts lifted straight from the comic. Certain parts of the story come seemingly out of nowhere if you look at the movie on its own and don't apply context from the comic (like where did Bubastis come from).

Also one thing I never see mentioned in these threads, the whole conversation between Manhattan and Laurie on Mars was fucking butchered compared to the comic version. I don't know hat the fuck they were thinking there.

You look like shit.

He still had that torn quality to him, like he knew what he wanted to accomplish was pretty fucked up but he was willing to bear the responsibility.

the thing I love about Ozymandias in the book the most is how he views himself as above all these people, while Dr. Manhattan is in the room

>the TV series.
WHAT