Why did they go full '80s aesthetic with Thor: Ragnarok?

Why did they go full '80s aesthetic with Thor: Ragnarok?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qqNn14l7hhA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Heavy Metal aesthetic

That was amazing

Most hyped super hero movie fight in a while

Guardians of Galaxy colorfulness, music and humor resonated with audience

because they saw it would make them monies. they were right

I'd like to have seen what Branagh would have made out of a whole Thor trilogy.

Because what is the point in exploring Marvel Space Universe when everything is black and in leather?

I'd bet it would've made The Dark World more compelling

Semi-related
youtube.com/watch?v=qqNn14l7hhA

>Because what is the point in exploring Marvel Space Universe when everything is black and in leather?
>when everything is black and in leather?
>black and in leather?
I'd explore her spaces if you know what I mean

Nothing short of a large blunt object colliding at high velocity with Jane's face five minutes in could do that.

Because when you are making a fantasy superhero movie where your primary marketing is a song by Led Zepplin, you better go full 80s aesthetic

It worked with GoTG, and anything was worth a try since the previous two Thor movies were a disaster.

And since it worked here as well, from now on Thor and anything cosmic/fantastic will be comedies.

Beautiful

Because neo-80s is in right now. Sadly, TRON missed the train and Moonbeam City failed to catch on.

they didnt, thats why the middle act when they actually went with that style is the best part

It's a bit odd how pop culture went from '80s nostalgia, briefly toyed with '90s nostalgia, and then went right back to '80s again.

>Led Zeppelin
>80s

that feel when you realize that post Ragnarok Malekith and Dark Elves would be full on comics level of campy and insane looking instead of dark leather everywhere. And that Eccleston could have hammed it up significantly.

Nostalgia.

90s is just 80s but more colourful.

I just realized this is the second time Hulk's fought a giant dog, less complaints this time around.

They thought it might save it.

Because the 00s didn't really have anything worth notalgiaing for. Only the nostalgia parts of it.

This! a reminder that Marvel is willing to totally change the personality of a character and the tone of a franchise just to make them popular.

Thor 1 wasn't a disaster, if it was it wouldn't have become a trilogy

>Marvel is willing to totally change the personality of a character and the tone of a franchise just to make them popular.
>it's bad to change things to make it a better story

Because Thor 1 and 2 were drab and boring.

The 80s are a fad right now. I enjoyed this movie but I felt the 80s stuff was intrusive.

90s is sad because Cort Kubain and other grudge guys and rappers like Biggie Smalls died (2pac is still alive in serbia)

No it isn't

That's because 80's guy is president

Except it's not a "better" story, just one mass audiences will enjoy more

the only purpose of a story is to engage an audience though, so by definition, the story that better engages an audience is doing its job better

>Because the 00s didn't really have anything worth notalgiaing for. Only the nostalgia parts of it.
That didn't stop people from nostalging about the 80s nostalging about the 50s.

So Transformers is a better story than the Hurt Locker because more people went and saw Transformers

Appeals to the most people =/= better story

Fair enough. What did the 00s get right besides LotR? Even medieval fantasy wasn't done too well at that point.

I like to judge media based on what it's trying to do. Twilight is not a "good" story, but it was trying to modernize the melodramatic bodice-ripper novel for teenage girls. And it succeeded greatly at that and made a hojillion dollars.

The MCU is not trying to be high art. By this same metric, the DCEU DOES try to be high art and fails spectacularly.

What is that style of artistic I don’t know... posing? Where there three or so characters one over another sometimes touching the one below?

>Firefly
>Some cartoons, but they died halfway through
>Spider-Man
>Some music?
>Video games

>Firefly
The 00s were worse off than I thought if that's what you're leading with.

Cause I think people are finally about done with the gritty darkness of movies like batman v superman and it's this + the nostalgia factor that made the 80s aesthetic popular rn

I want this now...

Not at all. 90s is grey plastic and styrofoam.

Because of Jack Kirby and the aesthetic of his era of cosmic marvel you dumbass

>Video games
agreed. I remember when McDonalds had those game rooms (was it n64 or gamecube?)

>Because the 00s didn't really have anything worth notalgiaing for.
People used to say this about the 80s, with the 70s being the idealised 'decade'. Now the 90s gets shit on and the 80s is all the rage.

Give it a few decades and people will have hard nostalgia boners for the 00s

>last decade with saturday morning cartoons
>non shitty internet culture
>advent of online gaming
>cellphones with a battery life of 7+ days
>nobody giving shit about political correctness
>all the edge you wanted in comics, music, games and movies
early 2000s were the shit if your were a male teenager

Because the filmmakers are in their 30's and 40's and were influenced by 80's stuff, as are a large chunk of the audience.

It's like how there's so much 50's nostalgia in 80's movies.

He's probably the worst director in the MCU in all honesty. Yes, he's done a ton of shakespear and actors like to work with him because he's an actor himself.

But if you look at his directorial work, especially lately, its crap. Cinderella was especially bad, which was his first work post Thor and he managed to make the worst Jack Ryan film yet.

>Video games
Fair enough, I have to agree, mostly for the PS2.

>non shitty internet culture
Hm, flash animation/games. Forgot about those.

>nobody giving shit about political correctness
I dunno, culture from the u.s. seemed to get all sensitive because muh 9/11. Just look at the music.

>all the edge you wanted in comics, music, games and movies
That... wasn't too great. I was already a comic book fan, and the edge really sent comics to shit at that point, it would be better to stay at 90s status quo. And don't get me started on NuMetal.

>advent of online gaming
It became more popular, but I remember my cousin playing Diablo online before that, for one. It's kinda amazing how it already worked on dial-up.