Who was in the wrong here?

Who was in the wrong here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rM5EzAHI6NE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not sure how a concept of divinity figures into the demonstration of a modicum of morality and loyalty among the civilised people of the galaxy.
Pretty sure they would not have a common religion.

You for posting

I don't even get what he's saying
He's pissed because he doesn't believe in a god? What?

Surprisingly enough, Gunn is.

>It's edgy atheist tryhards fail to understand a simple phrase and have to go full REEEEEEEEEEEEEE GOD DOESN'T EXIST, missing the entire point of the sentence

Gunn is saying that Rocket trying to cope with the existence of God is proof of how experimental the MCU is.

why are religious slaves so obsessed with virtue signalling? ....

It's not Rocket literally becoming a Christian you retards.

He's saying that Rocket is being forced to face with the fact that the Universe might not be an empty uncaring void. The metaphor he's using is the idea of becoming aware that God is Real you fucking peanut brains.

No God = Nothing you ever did mattered because it's all gonna return to nothing
God = Everything you ever did mattered and the weight of Rocket's various lashing outs and misdeeds are processing in his mind.

It's not a question of Rocket suddenly going to Sunday mass, it's a question of Rocket realizing his selfish self centered behavior was self destructive and that even someone like Yondu who he related to on a emotional level still did enough to merit people mourning him, leaving him to face the idea that when he passes will he have done enough to have mattered?

"There is a God" is a common phrase expressing appreciation when actions lead to appropriate consequences. I hope this helps (You).

>God = Everything you ever did mattered and the weight of Rocket's various lashing outs and misdeeds are processing in his mind.

The fuck? This is a very Christian concept of God. Plenty of religions don't involve a judgement and afterlife. You should read a book.

Killing off Rocket would not be "safe"
Letting Groot die would not be "safe"
Letting Ego win would not be "safe"

Give me 2 popular examples, the afterlife is pretty much the selling point of most main relgions.

The MCU is the definition of safe. They churn out good yet overall predictable and unambitious movies. They're just big dumb action movies involving superheroes. But that's ultimately the philosophy of Disney anyway, look at the Force Awakens aka "Hey Remember the Original Trilogy?"

Holy shit, you fucking people.

Rocket sees something beautiful happen to honour the memory of a man he identified with, proving his friends cared about him, no matter what came between them.

Rocket sees this as evidence that good things can, and do happen, and that his relationship with The Guardians isn't doomed to eventually fail (which was the source of his self sabotage throughout the film).

The "God" in question is just the idea of a Universe where fate doesn't always conspire to ruin everything.

>Plenty of Gods don't involve a judgement and the Afterlife

GotG is only 'safe' because it was a success.

People were like "This is going to be a huge disaster" right until it came out

But its a phrase on Earth, why would the rest of the galaxy adapt our customs?

That's true
It's also the only example
It's also probably a result of Gunn and marvel studios compromising on their respective visions
It's also sad that this is considered a risky experiment

Now Thor is aping guardians to keep things safe

Jews for one. We don't believe in a heaven (at least not in the same way christians do) or really a final judgement. If you break the contract with god then you go to hell but thats about it. If you are a really fucking rad dude like Elijah or Moses you get called up to heaven to be a servant of god, but even thats no guarantee. God has banished angels before and shit.

Also Buddhism. You should read Sidhartha.

There's a big difference between faith and religion.

>If you break the contract with god then you go to hell but thats about it. If you are a really fucking rad dude like Elijah or Moses you get called up to heaven to be a servant of god

user. Jews don't believe in any sort of heaven whatsoever. They believe in Sheol, which is just a big empty grey afterlife full of colorless shades who have forgotten who they were. At best, there's a special segment of Sheol where the righteous end up congregating and an equivalent other area for the worst, but it's still all the same grey boring eternity with no pleasure or suffering.

You can introduce any concept or imagery in a movie and keep it safe by making the movie into a nonsense comedy. Thor Ragnarok proved this by destrying Asgard, killing Odin, and losing Thor’s eye, yet everyone considers the movie to be the funniest of the entire MCU.

As long as you make it funny, Rocket could shout “nigger” in every scene, and people would be fine with it. Comedy is safe.

Not the other Jew but Sheol is not the end all be all.

It is an intermediate state since for us heaven is peace on earth after the Messianic Era.

Gunn's playing into their ironically safe argument formula. It doesn't matter what he says or does, if it the movie is successful it will just get added as an element of "the MCU formula" to dismiss it, if it fails it will just be used as part of the reason why the MCU is bad.

>Not the other Jew but Sheol is not the end all be all.
Yes it is. It's an eternal afterlife. You don't get to leave Sheol. I mean shit, even Muslims get to escape Jahannam

Sometime it amazes me how terrible the average user's reading comprehension is.
I never can tell if you people are being facetious or really are this dense.

Why are liberal atheists trying hard to say that reality has meaning when their foundations believe there is none.

Many say Cap will die so Evans can finally leave but I hope they kill Natasha so we can finally get rid of ScarJo.

>You can introduce any concept or imagery in a movie and keep it safe by making the movie into a nonsense comedy
Came here to say this exact same thing.
Gunn did better with Super, which is certainly not safe because it's a DARK comedy.

GotG vol.2 did play it safe though.

Thor is aping guardians because nobody liked the first two Thor movies. At least they try something else when a previous iteration doesn't work.

For the same reason they all speak fluent American English as opposed to a some sort of alien creole or similar?

Then how are we supposed to return to the physical world once the dead are reanimated?

Sheol is an intermediate state in which all people go when they die. To remain there once the Messianic Era begins.

>Then how are we supposed to return to the physical world once the dead are reanimated?
Oh, so you're like a Jewish version of those fucks who buy into the Rapture and the Second Coming.

Gotcha.

>asshole character realizes he's being an asshole the whole movie
>this is edgy and thought-provoking

The earth would be destroyed if Ego won.

Sounds like shit

whats your point, its in line with what i said
they know that they need to change their take on thor, but instead of looking for his own voice they just copy something that proved to be successful

You've never heard of The Resurrection have you?
Old idea, Renaissance artists depicted it best - as a zombie apocalypse.

i dont understand what youre saying

super is one of the better movies i know in how it plays on viewers emotions

people trash it because they felt so uncomfortable by it, which was done by design
they also trash it because its a disturbing film with disturbing themes and it was sold as a silly comedy, to people who like kickass

i love it and i was ecstatic when they hired gunn for gotg

and i loved both gotg for the emotional scenes, despite many misses they serve

shut up crime!

>>people trash it because they felt so uncomfortable by it,

How were they uncomfortable?

I couldn't even make it 25 minutes into GotG 2 because it was such a generic, unfunny, loud eyesore.

This is the generation raised by brown n' bloom

The MCU IS a safe bet because it doesn't take risks. It follows a formula and it works.

On the other hand, DCEU takes risks and so far it only worked once with WW. Maybe they should follow a formula.

But he never had contact with the Christian idea that the existence of an eternal patriarch was necessary for existence and morality to have meaning.
Therefore he can only have the neutral revelation of the value to a subjective morality that has meaning for those who share in the cultural conventions of in this case the Ravagers.
There is no God in this equation. Yahwe or otherwise.

GotG is safe because ultimately it's all meaningless, everything is okay without any real sacrifice. All Marvel movies follow the exact same formula. Any sort of tension is destroyed by comedy.

Super is also comedy but it actually works because most things do have consequences, and even when there are none it serves as further dark purpose.
People die and it means something even if the movie purposefully makes light of it.

The idea of something greater is present, however.

>GotG is safe because ultimately it's all meaningless, everything is okay without any real sacrifice. All Marvel movies follow the exact same formula. Any sort of tension is destroyed by comedy.

They made me care about Yondu and then they killed him off in the same movie.

>having a character express religious belief is now considered edgy or controversial
Truly, this is the worst timeline

that's what happens when people get to post whatever they're thinking without immediate feedback/repercussion from real people.

i agree and its sad
but the only risk ww took was a female lead
its a bland and boring by the numbers retread
guardians actually was a risk
but at the output marvel has, 1 risk is no risk at all

Fuck off. Any movie that starts with a poop joke isn't worth my fucking time, especially since the rest of the movie was shaping up to be more fucking Reddit garbage. I refuse to watch the rest of the movie because as far as I'm concerned it has zero entertainment value (and yes, I do know at some point Ego turns into fucking Pacman thanks to screenshots on Sup Forums, which proves my point that anyone who likes the movie unironically thought the LE EPIC DANCE OFF BRO scene from the first movie was cinematic gold)

>he realizes there might be a god
What a bunch of absolute horseshit, this was in no way implied by the ending.
Rocket had just been forgiven by his friends and was at the space funeral for a man who was just like him, there was no implication of belief in any way.
>youtu.be/rM5EzAHI6NE
Judge for yourself. Gunn is pulling shit out of his ass.

wow, someone takes themselves way too seriously
lighten up bro, nothing matters

>sentimentalism isn't safe

>projecting
>this hard

how did you even see the movie with your head so far up your ass?

Yes, but it is not including a supernatural element, but purely a social construct.
That being the value system and bond of the scattered Ravager captains who unite once more to honor one of their own.
It is a demonstration to him that even one who is convinced to be a terrible person, as he himself is, may have people who care for him. Attributing such a familial bond to a divine being is a Christian thing, if anything.
This is not the moment he accepts the existence of a creator god, but the beginning of accepting that he might have actually found himself a family and not just random individuals who may abandon him at any point.

Religious people need the presence of God to be civilised human beings.

wrong

you were not?
when the main character goes mental about butting in line?
they were supposed to be uncomfortable but they didnt like the feeling
they wanted a different movie
because it was a grim drama about mentally disturbed people in dark humor sauce
with trailers going for the kickass crowd
it was a flop with a 2,5 mil budget and not even 400k gross (mind no wide release, not surprisingly), yet the few who saw it were bitching about it with no end on imdb dorums
not a critics darling
wonder how it did on dvd

Nice one.

Also, what the fuck is up with the new captchas? I quite literally just went through a dozen and a half before it let me post.

>you were not?

With Gunn I was expecting things to get dark. The ending threw me for a loop some, but only because I was waiting for some "it was all just a dream/hallucination" copout. Glad that didn't happen.

>Disney movie includes a cute furry animal who believes in God
STOP PRESSES

>good yet overall predictable and unambitious
Oxymoron.

>everyone considers the movie to be the funniest of the entire MCU.
I thought that was IM3?

>c-come on, it's just a movie! Movies are stupid like me!

>guardians actually was a risk
lol

what?
im talking safe in terms of getting people to buy the damn tickets for the movie
that is all that counts for studios when greenlighting a movie, if they can market it
so wonder woman was making them nervous by the sole fact it was about a woman
guardians of the galaxy was about weirdo nobodies somewhere in space
with high concepts like knowhere
silly designs
and dance off (i like it!)
but the movie has a lot of heart first and foremost, and hit or miss humor and it worked
now its ok to be silly so thor 3

>its ok to be silly
For you, silly user. And learn to write, will you?

I...don't recall this part.

As far as GotG2 goes, it's safe because it's a sequel. For producers.
But from an artistic standpoint it's weird, wild and far out there.
It's a family movie. With alien warriors and lots of violence.
Every character has a their own arc here, all learn something, grow as a person or whatever. But it's all very much behind a wall of jokes, gunfire and dozens of locations.
So it is at once very tried and true, and completely barking mad.
Two sisters learn their lesson about listening to each other, after they try to murder each other on a homocidal dad-planet.

>from an artistic standpoint it's weird, wild and far out there

Then that's a stupid way to put it. He ought to forego the fucking obtuse idiom next time and say what he means. Really that is just the most retarded way to try and make that point about basic morality by equating it solely to religious faith

I don't think the first GotG was necessarily safe. It was a single movie bringing five characters who the public didn't know well and intended to give them all sufficient focus and development. How many times have we seen a cape movie introduce so many characters at once and actually pull it off? Additionally, one of them was a talking a racoon and another was a character who only repeated a single line of dialogue.

GotG2 was a very safe movie that mostly retreaded the things that made its predecessor a massive hit with the added bonus of turning Groot into an even more marketable mascot character. Gunn's raccoon defense doesn't hold a lot of weight when the public already accepted and embraced Rocket after the last movie.

>How many times have we seen a cape movie introduce so many characters at once and actually pull it off?
Mysterymen.

Then could we not say he found hope? For being such a bland platitude it is actually more specific to the context of what you're saying than "Rocket found God"

Yet if Snyder said it people would be tonguing his asshole around here.

Sup Forums would, sure.

By some of the logic espoused in this thread they kind of do tho

No God: I can shit my pants and stab a baby everything is meaningless anyway there is no grand design atheism lol
A God: I see the light and the path clearly laid before me. I will not stab this baby for God has taught me to value this world for it is a gift amen.

>implying safe is bad

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."

Semantics aside, bottom line I do agree with this.

>Jews talk about their shitty and bunk talmudic judaism and take it seriously
>Atheists harp on le no God but I am still le moral meme

Amazing fucking thread.

I bet you hated Galaxy Quest and Ghostbusters.

I'd expect absolutely nothing less from a Superman poster. Snyder at that.

It's just a reaction meme you autist.

ghostbusters is the most reddit movie of all time

And it was so fitting for what you posted. Good job.

atheism doesn't remove meaning from reality that's nihilism. Having one doesn't mean you have the other.

but i agree!
i thought 2 was even better than 1
unfortunately i missed the opportunity to watch it in cinema

>No God: I can shit my pants and stab a baby everything is meaningless anyway there is no grand design atheism lol
Yeah, that would be atheists without normal people around to keep them in line. See: Tens of millions of dead innocents under atheist rule in the twentieth century. And don't give us any of that "it was all gommunism's fault" bullshit. The Cristero war and War in the Vendee had nothing to do with Communists.

Remember those Christian greek pagans that believed in Tartarus, Asphodel, and Elysium centuries before Christianity existed?

Why does the "Found God" trope trigger people? How can they say Christians are thin skinned yet get triggered this easily?

That doesn't make any sense. If there is a God, then I can shit my pants and stab a baby. Just gotta make sure I pray for forgiveness right before death and I avoid Hell. I go to the same fucking Heaven as everyone else.

And nihilism isn’t nothing matters, it’s nothing matters beyond your own life to yourself so live to your fullest and try not to be bogged down living through the systems of others.

Basically if there’s no objective meaning then the subjective becomes objective.

Oh fucking fuck off. God do I miss when ebaums was our stupid "rival."

>Baby is there at the gates to greet you

You know that is the most false statement yet? Read Matthew 7:21

I bet you just fucking love Rick and Morty, too.

Did you not read, you fucking mongoloid? I didn't watch the fucking movie because I don't feel like killing brain cells with Family Guy-tier """""humor""""". The first 25 minutes were enough.

Galaxy Quest is fucking Reddit Trek, pointing out stupid shit on sci-fi shows doesn't make using said stupid shit in your plot any more excusable.

Ghostbusters is fine but overrated.