He ruined the movie by phoning in his performance. prove me wrong

he ruined the movie by phoning in his performance. prove me wrong

The WHOLE movie was garbage, it's never exclusively the fault of one actor and he was just a drop in the bucket.

You can't blame the actor for shit the script didn't allow.

The entire conciet of the film is that Odin apparently did shady shit then covered it up. But nobody actually adresses that besides the villain. He basically shows up to be Obi-Wan Kenobi and nobody ever stops his ghost ass and says "bitch what the fuck you killed like fifty billion people".

All the depth the character and role could have had simply wasn't there for him to work with at a basic level.

>The movies was still good without him
That was easy. You shouldn't have phoned in your post

He was barely in it, so there wasn't enough of a supposedly phoned-in performance to affect the quality of the movie.

Come on, his Norway scenes were great, the terrible Asgard ones weren't even him.

This
It was retarded how the whole thing was basically partially his fault, yet nobody seemed to give a single fuck about it. I mean, why would you include a plot point like that and not build upon it at all?

I think it's the best of the Thor movies, but overall reminded me of how much Thor has been wasted in the MCU, to the point he can't carry the conclusion to his own trilogy.

Am I the only one who actually liked the first Thor movie? I mean, the Earth segments were a bit crappy, but other than that it was good

Everybody makes mistakes. Why do you have to harp on it like a liberal

The only Thor movie I think is flat out bad is the 2nd one. The first was okay. It was pretty forgettable.

>It was retarded how the whole thing was basically partially his fault, yet nobody seemed to give a single fuck about it.
He is dead. What are they suppose to do about it? He doesn't even have a grave to piss on. Most empires are built on blood, what matters is how you are moving forward once you know about it.

And in the case of Asgard, the price they pay is the loss of their empire. Which is fair.

norway was what I meant. he just didn't seem to give a fuck. it's the whole backbone of the movie and they keep cutting back to it

The movie dropped a lot of threads including Banner saying he probably couldn't go Hulk again without losing himself completely then after he goes Hulk to fight Fenrir, it's never brought up again. Nor is there any follow up to Valkyrie and Hulk after finds out what he is.

>Am I the only one who actually liked the first Thor movie?

No. The 1st Thor flick is the best of the bunch.

Thor 2's only faults were the drastic redesign of Asgard and not letting Foster die.

Sans Hela, Ragnarok went to shit after Loki was exposed on Asgard. Everything up to that point felt like it was straight out of a Norse myth. Ragnarok could've been the most emotionally significant of the trilogy, but it tossed away all that great dramatic potential for excessive comic relief.

I mean, I would expect at least some kind of "buhu, our father was actually kind of an ashhole and tricked us and his ideals were bullshit, why should we support them?" kind of a dialogue at some point. Not necessarily anything big, but it just feels strange to include a plot point like that and nobody even acknowledging it. Like, if they put a "MC's father figure didn't exactly have clean conscience" trope in there, something that could potentially be an important character development arc, but then not use it at all, then why even put it in there? Why make Hel a relic of Odin's shady past instead of just not delving into her origins too much if nobody's going to care about said past?

Fucking this. They reaaaaly overdone it with the jokes. Some moments might have been actually great scenes with lots of gravity, but even then they just had to put a fucking joke in there and ruin it

Nice trips I blame Thor 2 for Thor 3's overcorrection. Imagine if Thor 2 was actually good, darkened visuals and all. It's a success, and the creative team is free to take the next film a step further down the path, making it the darkest, most complex film of the trilogy.

Instead, Thor 2 was the worst received Marvel film and that sent Feige into a panic to where he basically redid the third Thor movie as a GotG comedy, to get as far away from Thor 2 as possible. And it worked, if the commercial and critical reception is anything to go by, but I mourn for what could have been had Thor 2 been less shit (For which I'm more than happy to blame Ike).

Your BIRTH RIGHTAH... WAS TO DIYEE

Thor 2 had trash comedy. Darcy just isn't fucking funny and the dialogue was ass all over. The fact that their brilliant plan was to drop all pretense of being anything but a comedy is a testament to easily impressed MCUfags are now.

I just hate how suddenly everyone wants to pretend that Thor was at it's worse when it was trying to be "Shakespearean" and epic fantasy. Fucking hell, lets just make everything Guardians of the Galaxy, why not?

>They cut Beta Ray Bill/10

Its not shady that there was chaos before there was order. Odin did what he had to do and repented in the end.

That Shakespearean Stuff is exactly why Thor 1 is one of my favorite MCU films. The fact that Patty Jenkins seemed to tap into that (calling her idea "Romeo And Juliet In Space") makes me doubly mad for her leaving, and twice as ready to blame Ike.

As I said, though, I understand why Feige backpedalled into comedy. It was a way to "salvage" Thor's name using the same tricks they'd used in GotG, and people really seemed to love it, so he knew what he was doing. I doubt people would look at a third Thor film, see a bunch of dark magic and stuff, and suddenly want to see more of "The Dark World." That film, in Feige's mind, "poisoned" the brand and everything associated with it, including Asgard, Sif, etc. (though not, oddly, the humor, as you pointed out -- I guess bad humor is such a staple of All Marvel films that it's harder to separate that aspect out) Making it flashy and shiny was the only way to draw up hype for the film, and it worked. But again, I don't blame Thor 3. Thor 2 is an easier target.

What ruined the movie is realizing that even phoning it he's still the best actor in the film apart from Hiddleston

I think this explains the general sadness I had after seeing Thor Ragnarok. Even if I was entertained by it, I was also very disappointed overall with what they did with Thor.

It's not Anthony Hopkins fault that he isn't BRIAN BLESSED.

>the Earth segments were a bit crappy,
It's the whole movie!
The only parts that don't take place on earth are the intro with the frost giants and Thor's banishment and the final fight.

Because it was the end of the movie.
Do you want the characters to talk at lenght about Hulk not de-hulking and his relationship with Valkyrie after the final battle has happened and Asgard has been destroyed?

I honestly don't think that a few short talk scenes on board of the ship at the very end would hurt

Yes, especially the whole "I might not be able to become Banner again" deal that they spent a good part of the movie on. They don't have to spend 10 fucking minutes on it. Just address it. Sure, we know he can be Banner again because we've seen the trailer shit for Infinity War. That doesn't change the fact that that's a plothole.

The Valkyrie thing could have been handled in a very brief passing. But they didn't do it because the pacing of this movie was all over the place.

>But nobody actually adresses that besides the villain.
M8, you just said yourself that's the conceit.
Hela herself constantly registers that no one knows, to them they think she's just another psycho or liar like Loki.
She never invites anyone into the halls to bear witness, she provides no proof for her claims she just harasses and kills people who oppose or flee from her.

When Thor arrives he observes she's right and even takes a moment to empathize, but she's already made it impossible to sympathize because she's killed people and destroyed his home for no other reason than she was sent to her room without dinner for a bit. He has no cause to put her over Odin who has at least attempted to make amends for his mistakes even if he's hidden from people the total sum of them.

Also Hopkins pretending to be Loki at the beginning was very spirited, showing he didn't phone anything in as an actor.
Odin's character was just portrayed as someone incapable of processing how much was left unresolved with how little time he had left. So he just appreciates his last few minutes before shouldering it all off to his sons. Thor even receives his distant behavior as a sign of Loki's magic, so even if you didn't enjoy it compared to sobbing and howling it's likely meant to come off as off for him even for his kids.