Punisher Max

What does Sup Forums think about Punisher MAX? I finished a couple of days ago because I figured I should gain some type of Punisher background before I watch the show and thought it was pretty good.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9g0bmCPFsi8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Its pretty well liked, Punisher is popular on all kind of boards. He's even go memes.

MAX imho, is the quintessential Punisher run, not that its the ONLY good interpretation (Grant, Baron, Dixon, MK, Remender, Rucka), but stripping the fat and putting Frank in his own world is for the best.

I wasn't really too sure of how much he was liked. I figured he was just shoot man. He's not the deepest character ever, but there's charm in his simplicity.
>putting Frank in his own world is for the best.
Agreed. He's one of those heroes that works better if you don't have a whole universe of street level heroes running around. It also fits his loner personality better. Its like the X-Men mutants/super heroes problem.

It's fuckin' great! My favorite Punisher comic.

Ennis' Punisher and Fury: My War Gone By are some of his best work. His Marvel Knights Punisher comic is pretty good also, but I prefer the closer to real world setting of MAX.

MAX is probably the best "serious" Punisher there has ever been

but it will probably sour you on the show

I usually point people to Marvel Knights Punisher before pointing them to MAX. MAX under Ennis was great but it may be too dark and grounded for people used to average capeshit. That said, It works as a stand alone though I don't know how it was after Ennis left.

>I don't know how it was after Ennis left.
terrible

Welcome Back, Frank is essentially a prototype of the Punisher MAX universe.
It has almost everything that made those stories great, and the only thing that actually connects it to the greater Marvel universe is a single scene with Daredevil for Ennis's obligatory "I hate superheroes" spiel.

Welcome Back Frank is a lot sillier than MAX

It's fucking great, as are all the spinoffs (Fury, Barracuda, Ennis' one-shots, and now Punisher: Platoon). Great, great stuff.

MAX knew when to have a little fun.

it did

but WBF and the following run was largely Silly Ennis while MAX was largely Depressing Ennis

Ohhhh man you're gonna hate the show. Going from Ennis to Netflix Punisher is like going from living in your dream home to a 1843 NYC tenement

ive read only the first half but its pretty good

If you want to start getting primed on the Punisher, I'd suggest listening to the Punisher: Body Count podcast. They've covered a lot of the MAX run and the current day stuff.

God I fucking love Barracuda

In lesser hands he'd be a ridiculous offensive stereotype, but Ennis/Parlov together give him such joie de vivre and style and detail in characterization that he just bursts off the page

Hail Frank Castle, our lord and savior

It's good shit but it's not the only time the character has been written well, like some people claim. I'm fine with people calling it the definitive version of the Punisher, even if I don't necessarily agree, but people acting like it's the ONLY interpretation worth anything is pretty lame and is probably my biggest actual problem with it.

Strange. I loved both in equal measures. Eh, different strokes.

Terry Crews playing Cuda on Netflix WHEN?

>implying Netflix could afford him
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is the only real choice here user

He doesn't strike me as very jovial.

what is the Punisher MAX reading order again? fury and barricuda and all

Punisher: The Tyger
Punisher: The Platoon
Fury MAX: My War Gone By
Punisher Born
Punisher MAX #1-36
Barracuda mini before issue #50
Punisher MAX #37-60
Punisher: The End

That's the "chronological" order.
Punisher: The Cell whenever, don't remember at what stage it's supposed happen. But you can read the one-shots and minis whenever - My War Gone By was made before The Platoon. You could basically read the main series first and then the rest.

Oh and the Furys.
Fury: Peacemaker
Fury MAX: My War Gone By
Fury

And their creation order was Fury -> Peacemaker -> My War Gone By

>MCD died before he could play Cuda
F
Nigger what they hire big names all the time

Absolute best Punisher run. Until Ennis left.

But it did kind of ruin the Netflix show for me, because I was expecting the writers to draw from the MAX series, and that was never their idea.

>Rucka
Overrated garbage

No. That's standalone. It's also not very good. It's basically a teen slasher movie plot starring Frank Castle, and that sounds so much better than it actually was.

in what volume is that story where some criminal defiles frank's corpses and films it??

frank's family corpses
my bad

Up is Down and Black is White
Arguably one of his finest stories

Yea, I know the name, but I don't know in which volume is.

Thanks, I saw the image with him saying "not even with a rented dick" and so I took interest in the story
I deleted my comment because I decided to just read it anyway
I started watching the Netflix series

I just finished "Welcome to the Bayou"
Why'd he kill the Blonde hayseed, that was wrong she was so cute

She's still a murderer.

>It's basically a teen slasher movie plot starring Frank Castle, and that sounds so much better than it actually was.

The Annual did that a lot better, if only because Frank was the slasher killer.

We never see her kill anyone though, at worst she's complacent with murder.
It's not her fault she was born into a messed up family

It is her fault she tried to kill Frank. That always earns you a Franking.

She was just upset at his betrayal, she told them not kill him as she wanted to spend time with him and he repays her kindness by killing her family
She was truly an Angel.
Jokes aside are there any other good stand alone stories in The Punisher series?

Platoon is running right now. The 4th should come out soon. It's damn good.

How fucked do you guys think Franks gonna be by the end of this we know that by Born he’s gone completely off the fucking deep end with the Voice that may or may not be death himself reaching out to him because he’s so good at killing people

This is a strong casting IMO. Crews is too, well liked honestly, and you need someone who can just make you love to hate him.

But he's a big ass dude in the books... so idk if Adewale is large enough.

Think Netflix's Punisher will do a Baracuda season?

>silly punisher is best punisher
youtube.com/watch?v=9g0bmCPFsi8

Its funny that Remender's run was hated when it was coming out but is well liked now, and Rucka's was well liked but is now hated.

What does it mean that I enjoy both?

Volume 4

Wasn't Born his 4th and last tour of duty? Fury Max was his 3rd, when he was a recon sniper. I don't think Frank will be fucked by the end of Platoon, but he will have an up close and personal taste of blood that ends up defining everything.

it got bad

rather than follow Ennis' example of making good original villains, they just found ways to hamfist in Jigsaw, Bullseye, Kingpin, and fucking Electra
they even retconned Frank's relationship with his family, they said he was going to divorce his wife and leave but they all got shot before it could come to fruition

you made the right choice by stopping when Ennis finished

Post-Ennis, Pre-Aaron stuff is okay, but just run-of-the-mill.

Aaron's run acknowledges the Ennis run but makes glaring errors, and also puts a retcon on Castle's relationship with his wife.

The Jigsaw thing always bugged me, at the very least Aaron set up his versions of Fisk, Bullseye and Elektra. But when it came to the Jigsaw story it was strange, because as far as MAX is concerned we're never even led to believe he exists there, and yet there he is.

Not to mention solicits ruined the reveal.

Well, you could take Ennis' point of view that Frank was always the Punisher and his family's death was just the excuse he needed to embrace it.

the family relationship stuff really bothered me.

I wasn't, however, bugged by the Netflix version of "we weren't perfect, but we were family". That felt a lot more in character, than Castle divorcing his wife.

This is how I almost always felt about Frank. War made him who he is, returning home pushed that person way down inside him (and he sturggled with that often). His family getting murdered, when he's back in his "safe zone" is what made him reach deep down and let the real Frank drive.

Banner / Hulk in some ways.....

That's not Enni's view, his view is that the war did it, thats the whole point of Born. Plus the Platoon shows us Frank when he was still starry eyed and good intentioned.

they probably could now that they've cut Spacey loose

I really appreciated how the final flashback cut the happy dream BS and showed us how they and Frank really were. Home was a really good ep.

Speaking of Platoon, when is 4 coming out?

I think it's a fourth week book

Shit. Does that mean it'll be next month because of Christmas?

it's solicited for the 27th

What about Mark Henry from the WWE? Huge intimidating bald black guy, the only sticking point is can he pull off 'Cuda's sense of humor.

I love me some Sexual Chocolate, but his body type is all wrong.

Is Platoon done?

Which one was he talking about?

Welcome to the Bayou.

>Hey guys if I wanted to read the full "Welcome to the bayou" part of the punisher series are there any other stories I need to read prior to fully understand it?

3 more issues

Thanks.
His posted was deleted.

>His posted was deleted.
I know. That's why I copied what he wrote. That's what the greentext is.