What is your opinion on Saga of the Swamp Thing?

What is your opinion on Saga of the Swamp Thing?

He should probably dump his copy in the trash, BKV sucks.

It's the book that got me into comics and still definitely in my top 5 of all time.

Basically flawless.

Great stuff, still some of Moore's best. I personally think it stands up better today than Watchmen does.

The Pinnacle of Horror Fantasy comics.

The most important run in the history of comics. Without it there would not have been serious fantasy-influenced literary comics in the West. Moore created it here. With every issue of the run you're seeing the medium expand as various storytelling methods and tones are invented.

Without Lee/Kirby FF there still would have been a Marvel Universe and a Silver Age superhero comic. Without Swamp Thing by Alan Moore there would be no Sandman, Vertigo, Preacher, Hellboy, Saga, Walking Dead...

Basically this. My favorite Moore thing and together with Morrison's Doom patrol, the reason why I got into comics(I struggled a lot early on because I was reading a lot of mediocre or crappy comics simply because they were recommended and "important" and "necessary")

Without Lee/Kirby there'd be no cosmic exploration comics to the level there are now.

Mind blowing up until the space stuff. I feel it gets a bit disjointed and less thought out there. Still good though

I still hate how Moore treated the previous writer's minor characters,
But that's a single drop of piss in an ocean of fantastic.

Cape kino and got me into the idea of collecting runs and loving Vertigo.

I own books 1 and 2, really liked them. Is it worth getting the rest or does it dip it quality?

I read Alan Moores run, because John Constantine.
Didn't make an impression. I don't remember anything about it.

Pretty much perfect. I wish the hardcovers weren't out of print. All I need is book 6 but its so damn expensive

It peaks with book 4 but 5 and 6 are worth reading as well.

Don't feel so bad. They're shit quality. I got them back in 2012 and they're already falling apart.

only read the first book, I thought it was pretty standard fare, desu, not Moore's best by a longshot

ironically, BKV's swampy run is pretty good

underrated too

>is it worth getting the rest
>is there a dip in quality

Yes and yes. Book 3 is amazing, but it ultimately serves as a set-up for book 4, which personally was a huge dissapointment; what happened is swamp thing made some major development on 3, which was ignored in 4 just so constantine could steal the show.

I think it would be better received it if had a different name, like Sprout Thing or something.

On general principle, it *kinda* feels a bit wrong that Moore had to tear down and destroy Len Wein's original narrative, especially seeing what he did to the supporting cast. and the huge origin retcon of course.

That being said, however, Saga was an astonishingly good run of comics with twists turns and some creative as hell shit going down in the story telling and the visuals. I don't know (honestly, I don't) know if Wein gave his blessings on what Moore did, but it is seriously one of the few examples of pulling -massive- changes to a character that destroyed their status quo with a retcon and things came out for the better.

Except for anatomy lesson, 1 and 2 are the weakest books, and just text book horror stories.

You must be baiting; but if not, len wrote the intro to book one: he called moore and introduced himself. Moore hung up, len called again and after convincing alan it was really him, he offered him to write swamp thing. Moore said he'd think about it and return the call. He actually told len what he had planned and asked if he was ok with it.

No, I legitimately wasn't baiting; my original copy of Saga vol. one was an older copy that starts with The Anatomy Lesson instead of the issue before that so I must have missed Len's intro.

Third party, I'll post the intro