Paranatural

Nicholas Russell
Nicholas Russell

hey man listen i was just gonna wiggle the sunglasses up and down to emphasize my surprise

Everybody, freaky shadow spirit. Freaky shadow spirit, everybody.

IT'S HAPPENING

Jace Butler
Jace Butler

neato. I feel like the face could be a little more detailed, but maybe it works because it's a shadow creature. Is this some kind of greco-roman reference? going by the pillars.

Henry Phillips
Henry Phillips

I was expecting something monstrous, but that's one handsome shadow thing.

Cameron Mitchell
Cameron Mitchell

feels like it should be darker, the grays seem too light to make it imposing
that said, it's pretty neat

Nathan Moore
Nathan Moore

It works because it's an abstract kind of face. The kind you see on sculptures of the sun.

It is odd that a shadow spirit has yellow spectral energy, but if it's the Black Sun/a fallen sun god/etc. then that explains its surprisingly sunny color.

Camden Cooper
Camden Cooper

In a comic as colorful as Paranatural is these days, I find gray to be pretty imposing all on its own.

Carter Powell
Carter Powell

What should be sun rays -> dark tentacles.

Jackson Lopez
Jackson Lopez

Yeah, it's not really scaring me if that's the intent. Seeing the monster in broad daylight always makes it significantly less scary, but Zack's been doing this bright pastel thing for a while so it sadly fits with the current style. It'd be much spookier if you could still see its features but they were more obscured.

Caleb Diaz
Caleb Diaz

I get it's a sun god and obviously that hole in its face represents an eclipse, but is that hole naturally a part of the spirit or was it put there?

Jace Ross
Jace Ross

Nice, so the spirit was an emoji all this time!

Ayden Green
Ayden Green

There's something unnerving about a completely empty, expressionless face that's more like a statue, despite the hints to its intelligence and malevolence.

Like coming across the crumbling giant face statues in the game Aquaria, and the mocking laughter that comes from nowhere. It's supposed to be slightly freaky, there's obviously more to it than what we're seeing but we have no idea what it is.

Jeremiah Barnes
Jeremiah Barnes

I think he looks nice!

Carson Taylor
Carson Taylor

still reading “yes I can use flat colour as a background” paranatural
Wew

Camden Powell
Camden Powell

When are we getting Spender flashback

Wyatt Jackson
Wyatt Jackson

tfw you disappoint Papa Lucifer

Adam Morgan
Adam Morgan

Lucifer doesn't casually scold Spender saying "I know you're gay but you have to focus".
Shit comic.

Justin Anderson
Justin Anderson

tfw Evangelicals' Jerusalem Rapture keikaku will come sooner then this chapter will end, let alone an origins chapter

All for the "Promised Boys", user...all for the Promised Boys.

Brandon Cooper
Brandon Cooper

First interesting page in years.

Connor Adams
Connor Adams

The only things I've seen consistently being praised about Zack are his spirit designs.

David Miller
David Miller

just a face with tentacles
Not your best work here, Zack. Hope there is more to it. You could at least detailled it more, the lazy shading doesn't do any justice to the sense of dread we're supposed to feel.

Hunter Wilson
Hunter Wilson

Shit, just compare between this and OP's pic. The quality keeps declining again and again.

Parker Evans
Parker Evans

Clearly it’s an argentinian sun.

Jaxson Jackson
Jaxson Jackson

Goddamn Lucifer is so based.

Aiden Mitchell
Aiden Mitchell

But Argentina is white!

Zachary Mitchell
Zachary Mitchell

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

Josiah Butler
Josiah Butler

Kinda weird thing to focus on but have we seen a spirit use spectral energy constructs like Hijack is doing right now? I just remember Forge scoffing at Spender for using them.

Jonathan Scott
Jonathan Scott

He's done it before but he used Spender's body to do it so I dunno if it's different.

Nathaniel Clark
Nathaniel Clark

I miss Suzy.

Levi Allen
Levi Allen

I'm really digging the hole in the left side of the face/mask. It references and contrasts the inspiration from sun sculptures both by appearing to be something like an eclipse, and (I'm assuming this was the intent) it forms a crescent moon from the negative space. Another interesting thing is that rather than simply being a damaged portion of the face/mask, the two dripping black "tears" under it can give the impression that the hole is there by design as one gigantic, hungry eye, contrasting the smaller, somewhat disinterested eye.
Say what you want about the shitty pastels, the terrible pacing, characters being mishandled, the social justice pandering, the stark refusal to draw backgrounds...I still love all of Zack's designs for the various spirits.

Kevin Adams
Kevin Adams

In five pages

Liam Powell
Liam Powell

I'm still not sure if Lucifer wants Hijack to bring this info back to Zarei, but I'm starting to lean towards "no".

Kayden Rogers
Kayden Rogers

nuclear bomb
Judy?

Dylan Jones
Dylan Jones

Can spirits change shape over time? It occurs to me that if Lucifer is over six hundred years old, then he is vastly older than the concept of light bulbs, despite having that be one of his motifs.

Jack Sanders
Jack Sanders

you've been stalling for

Why does he need to stall remove the shades from Spender? Lucifer really should have told him right from the offset that trying to get rid of him would be a really bad idea.

Thing is Hijack already knows that Spender is a medium for "some freaky shadow spirit" (Lucifer is quoting what Isabel unintentionally told Hjack in case anyone has forgotten) so this is only really confirming what Hijack already knows (and may have already told Zarei in the phone message, Lucifer really should have stopped him before sending that message, not sure I have enough faith in Zack that they'll be a reason why he didn't).

Nicholas Nguyen
Nicholas Nguyen

The big bad is Argentina?

Eli Parker
Eli Parker

Probably
thus why he's currently a messy amalgamation of motifs

Benjamin Phillips
Benjamin Phillips

I think Hijack wasn't certain if Lucifer could laser him to death before removing the sunglasses.

Brayden Nguyen
Brayden Nguyen

Argentina is WHITE!

Brandon Ortiz
Brandon Ortiz

I guess because up to that point, Hijack was doing what Lucifer wanted to do, since he didn't have much faith in Spender contacting Zarei on his own? I'm not really sure what made him lose his patience with Hijack now though.

Oliver Morris
Oliver Morris

tfw remember absolutely none of this and dont feell like rereading the comic

Jaxon Nelson
Jaxon Nelson

God damn what happened to this comic

Kevin Butler
Kevin Butler

AAAAHHHHH

William Ward
William Ward

I love the design of this thing. It just looks and seems so utterly alien compared to nearly all the other Spirits seen thus far, including the Pixel Hounds. I wonder how many Cursed Words it knows?

Xavier Wood
Xavier Wood

So that looks like it definitely qualifies as a Broken God.

Austin Green
Austin Green

Based wristposter

Jonathan Smith
Jonathan Smith

Jet fuel can't-

Melt steel beams.

Brayden Allen
Brayden Allen

Zack's lost a lot of enthusiasm for it.

Jaxon Hill
Jaxon Hill

I suspect that it would be closer to a piece of it. Do remember that Max got possessed during his talk with Doorman by a Spirit that Doorman called a "broken god". So it's likely that the God ended up shattered, and it's pieces are just spread out and wreaking havoc.

Christian Brown
Christian Brown

So Max has a piece of the broken god Not Scrapdragon
Argentina is probably a piece of the broken god
How many do you think there are

David Perez
David Perez

I can't be the only one who thought of this, right?

Lincoln Myers
Lincoln Myers

Do you remember the days of saturation? Before Zack forgot what colour was?

Charles Foster
Charles Foster

Lefty used them, but he's a ghost. Isobel's grandpa might also be a ghost.

David Hill
David Hill

Also, the gaping eye opens into the darkness of the background, so it's possible that black background is actually part of this spirit.

Caleb Nguyen
Caleb Nguyen

Jowday.

Connor Perez
Connor Perez

Just caught up and read this.

So Spender's gay?
And did a teacher just admit to having causal sex with a co-worker to a student?

Cameron Smith
Cameron Smith

It's the wrong color if the other piece is black.

Mason Baker
Mason Baker

Could be just 'casually dating' but we can't be sure.

Carter Sanchez
Carter Sanchez

The technical name is the Incan sun god, Inti.

But funny thing, unlike on the Argentina flag, this guy has a much tinier nose.

So he really IS a white Argentina.

Mason Richardson
Mason Richardson

Did the nation that spent a century wiping out native populations and boasting about how "they came from European ships" really use a native symbol in their flag?
Might as well have the descendants of Andrew Jackson using Cherokee symbols as the family emblem.

Tyler Rivera
Tyler Rivera

filename
kek

Carter Barnes
Carter Barnes

God that's boring. This is what we've been waiting for, for years.
I expecting something more unsettling.

Henry Martin
Henry Martin

Wasn't this before Hijack's possession?

Oliver Morgan
Oliver Morgan

Nope, go back and see. That's why he's apologizing to Max, and why he knows Zarei's techniques.

Kayden James
Kayden James

maybe they do together something embarrasing like playing dungeons and dragons

Julian Richardson
Julian Richardson

coworkers dating
Im gonna vomit

Ryan Hall
Ryan Hall

That's why he's apologizing to Max
Oh, so what I thought as character development was just body snatching alien's doing?

Isaac Stewart
Isaac Stewart

Well duh. Spender remains worst teacher. He could never actually compliment Isaac.

Joshua Lopez
Joshua Lopez

Holy shit, that's why the octopus was leaving Max. it was after Spender's chest.

Blake Campbell
Blake Campbell

It's also why he spent so long trying to apologize to Isabel.

Hunter Cruz
Hunter Cruz

Nice try America, but I'm on to you. The sun with face, also called the sun in splendour or Sun in his glory, was commonly used in Europe since the 1200s.

Samuel Collins
Samuel Collins

That feel when you have to rise every day

Anthony Adams
Anthony Adams

Zack should quit webcomics and go into concept art.

Lincoln Williams
Lincoln Williams

It would certainly raise the average quality of webcomics by a non-negligible percent.

Matthew Brooks
Matthew Brooks

man, imagine how much cooler this page would look if he got to it before his art went to shit.

Zachary Turner
Zachary Turner

I find it plenty unsettling. The impassive face, the countless tentacles that are somehwere between shadow and solid, the giant hole in its face with a seemingly endless void behind it, the understanding that it's based off the sun (hence the sunlight-yellow spectral energy) and yet has become a shadow-monster?

Much spookier than some kind of squid/Cthulhu.

Christian Diaz
Christian Diaz

le generic creepypasta monster

Yeah, that's not boring.

Nathan Moore
Nathan Moore

That's form Bloodborne.

David Morris
David Morris

All of this. Just imagine what this reveal would have looked like before everything got soft and pastel and bland as fuck.

Justin Brooks
Justin Brooks

It's unsettling specifically *BECAUSE* it looks so decidedly "Other" compared to everything else. It isn't doing any of the things you'd expect some nightmarish monstrosity to do, nor does it resemble what you'd normally expect. It's utterly impassive gaze, it's countless tentacles that blur the line between reality and unreality, the gaping hole in the side of its face from which the *true* totality of its being is expressed as a vast expanse of nothingness, and the whole Sun motif. All of these things come together to make this Spirit into something even more terrifying than it would be if it was just the normal many-mouthed, multi-tentacled beasty that so many writers and artists nowadays think qualify as "Good " cosmic horrors.

Aaron Foster
Aaron Foster

Doesnt look like the sun at all. "Sun motif", what a fucking stretch

Easton Gonzalez
Easton Gonzalez

The Sun of May symbol being based on the Incan sun god is just some anarchist's hypothesis. Probably just convergent symbolism.

Dominic Thompson
Dominic Thompson

Reminding myself just what shadow powers Spender manages to duplicate from this thing.

Lincoln Phillips
Lincoln Phillips

Making shadows solid.

Nathaniel Sullivan
Nathaniel Sullivan

And the opposite. Opening up the abyss.

Austin Scott
Austin Scott

Spender and Lucifer don't even know what this fucking thing is
That's even more terrifying desu, all this time I had assumed they knew what they were dealing with and had things under control. Turns out they're trapped with something they don't understand at all, fuck, for all they know it could just be pretending to be imprisoned

Luis Jackson
Luis Jackson

Unless Lucifer is lying to Hijack. He pointedly doesn't explain when and how Spender became possessed by the thing.

Colton Ramirez
Colton Ramirez

Lucifer really has no reason to outright *Lie* to Hijack, especially if this thing is as dangerous as it is implied to be. Lucifer could just simply be showing the poor fool what he risks freeing should he continue with his delusional "plan". Obviously not the whole truth, but enough to make Hijack take a step-back to re-evaluate his life choices.

Brayden Cook
Brayden Cook

Man, I always wished there was a large poster version of that image. I'd so buy it.

Going on missions, then stopping at Max's convenience store house for victory snacks at night. Maximum adventure comfy.

Leo Rogers
Leo Rogers

Which will happen first?
The end of this arc
or
Half Life 3

My money's on Half Life

Austin Bell
Austin Bell

Stop posting old art, you're making me sad there's no going back.

Christopher Torres
Christopher Torres

I apologize user. It hurts me too to know that we'll never have the old art again because of pandering BS, but at least we still got somewhat cool characters and Spirits.

Nathan Bennett
Nathan Bennett

So he's been possessed by two spirits at all times and is actually 3 now?!

Owen Miller
Owen Miller

The border around panel 5 is really unnecessary, what was Zack thinking?

Caleb Martinez
Caleb Martinez

It's been foreshadowed since chapter 4.

Camden Wood
Camden Wood

IT'S HAPPENING
In how many years?

Lincoln Nelson
Lincoln Nelson

Isn't Lucifer bound to the glasses?

Lucas Long
Lucas Long

mmm, I dunno if I'd consider this foreshadowing, but it's a little funny in retrospect

Charles Anderson
Charles Anderson

That seems disappointing. I feel like maybe it'd be better if it's explained that Hijack was still letting Spender be himself, just controlling him as needed without his awareness.

Ryan Edwards
Ryan Edwards

The Quechua are from Peru, not Argentina. It's more questionable when meeting Mexicans with names like Xochitl but the paleness of their skin makes it clear they're predominantly European, especially since native peoples in Mexico are still mostly getting shafted with attempts to erase/trivialize their existence only fully ending in 2015.

Jacob Baker
Jacob Baker

In a way, people called it.

Dominic Russell
Dominic Russell

Exposure to ghosts causes people to be aware of the fleeting nature of life, and thus that ideas like heterosexuality inherently trap the mind into an established social paradigm when one has but a short time as a mortal

Jackson Price
Jackson Price

beanmouth
she works at CN now
really makes you go hmm

Jason White
Jason White

I'm just going to assume every character is gay unless otherwise stated.

Thomas Ward
Thomas Ward

I love Lord Frieza

Easton Hernandez
Easton Hernandez

This got me thinking
if Ed did the spirit fusion thing, it'd literally just be Super Saiyan wouldn't it

Cooper Williams
Cooper Williams

I really doubt that the spirit is as evil as Spender's spirit makes it out to be.

After all, you need light to cast to a shadow. Something Spender and his spirit literally manipulate

Asher Butler
Asher Butler

Lucifer has shown himself to be pretty benevolent all around, and whilst he's a distant mentor to Spender at best, he definitely seems to care for Spender and the kids. If he didn't know for absolute certain as to the extent of the danger that this thing posed to the world at large, then he wouldn't be so utterly averse to Spender utilizing it's power, or recklessly acting and risking the kids becoming exposed to it. Lucifer, for all his mysteriousness and somewhat suspicious demeanor, is one of the few characters I think that we can trust when he says something is Capital E Evil beyond any shadow of doubt.

Lincoln Wright
Lincoln Wright

I don't give a damn about pandering user, it's desaturation and blobification that pains me.
Anime-sque hitball arc was funny but not worth it.

Jordan Sanchez
Jordan Sanchez

I'd actually appreciate that. It would add a nice parallel between Spender and Isaac as they'd be both nerds trying and failing to hide their power levels.

Eli Hall
Eli Hall

What a good dialogue. I remember re-reading it few times when my Emglish was worse.

Justin Brooks
Justin Brooks

His English is okay, he is overly verbose and his grammar is pompous on purpose.

Benjamin Moore
Benjamin Moore

I meant that MY English was worse. I liked that speech and still like it now.

Nolan Johnson
Nolan Johnson

yeah, Montezuma is pretty great

Kayden King
Kayden King

So the recent page with Isaac confirms this right?

Lucas Young
Lucas Young

creepypasta monster
Shit taste faggot detected.

Jace Hill
Jace Hill

Garcia being a werecar has been known for ages though

Brody Jackson
Brody Jackson

Lucifer is designed after a specific concept.

In theatre, there's always a light left onstage when the theatre is empty, otherwise it would be completely dark. This light can often be surrounded by a cage. He's the last light on a dark stage. A ghost light.

Jeremiah Carter
Jeremiah Carter

I agree
that outfit is unf

Jeremiah Ross
Jeremiah Ross

Cool, but ghost lights havent been around for 600 years

James Carter
James Carter

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Bentley Rodriguez
Bentley Rodriguez

Honestly, that's a pretty safe bet all things considered.

Ryan Harris
Ryan Harris

my high school kept one on

Aaron Bennett
Aaron Bennett

Bird in a cage on table
Lightbulb
Ghost light
Man with moustache
Angel with wings covering feet
Shadows of wires form bars on the walls, caging the shadow beast
Lucifer means lightbringer
Lucifer means Satan
It's so dense. Every frame has so much going on.

Parker Lee
Parker Lee

Lucifer means Satan
KJV
Into the trash it goes

Brody Jackson
Brody Jackson

Shadows of wires form bars on the walls, caging the shadow beast
And I just noticed there are no shadow bars in today's page. Great work Zach. Real art progression there!

David Rogers
David Rogers

I dun know bout none of that fancy acronym speaking, but I know what preacher man tells me and he tells me Lucy-fer is bad.

Alexander Morales
Alexander Morales

Lucifer has to be the best designed character in pnat by far. His whole “jailer and jailed” thing combined with all those little character details is awesome.

James Barnes
James Barnes

I don't remember if the first time I read this through I noticed the implication that Stormo is unveiling his monster storm-dong in the top right.

Robert Rodriguez
Robert Rodriguez

Ok, so if this was Highjack in Spender's body, would Spender have known who the eye belonged to?

With the newest page, could this eye be more significant now that we know the "Freaky shadow spirit" is missing an eye?

Jose Robinson
Jose Robinson

Beings described in the Bible as "Lucifer", "Satan", "Serpent" and "Beast" aren't the same. It's later tradition that made them mean the Devil.

Brandon Long
Brandon Long

He's a literal Chad Thundercock.

Jason Murphy
Jason Murphy

This page is good character establishment on Spender's behalf (am pretty intrigued with all the discussion on the possible cultural inspiration for ol' Shadowrays here)...but it's just too good for this bloated chapter. Heck, most of Chapters 4 and 5's ideas are too good for what we're presented with - Zack's just too impatient of waiting or too stubborn to plan out safely within a digestible reading size (re: repeating the early chapters' structure, which made Paranatural popular in the first place) that he throttles these ideas, and subsequently the plot, at the expense of its interesting and likeable characters plus its self-standing minimalist approach to a comic genre otherwise considered so bog-standard and parody-baiting.

Somehow, I imagine that a rebooting / restructuring into a more heavier format - in a graphic novel form, for example - or adaptation (both a la One Punch Man) would be the miracle cure that this work needs.

Jose Lopez
Jose Lopez

It was Garcia, you dolt.

Jonathan Phillips
Jonathan Phillips

This

Jayden Garcia
Jayden Garcia

ghost lights havent been around for 600 years

Then why have there been electric ghost lights.

Ryder Jones
Ryder Jones

Somehow, I imagine that a rebooting / restructuring into a more heavier format - in a graphic novel form, for example - or adaptation (both a la One Punch Man) would be the miracle cure that this work needs.
I'm fairly certain most here REALLY don't want to slog back through all of the previous Chapters of this comic, just in a more appealing format, just to get back to where we are now. Zack just needs to find a way to manage his fucking plot threads better.

Liam Gray
Liam Gray

amazing

Brody Davis
Brody Davis

ghost lights didnt exist 600 years ago, theyre recent. Zack fucked up by making him older than that his design is obviously inspired by

Samuel Parker
Samuel Parker

Implying Lucifer didn't inspire Edison

Jordan Myers
Jordan Myers

I'm fairly certain most here REALLY don't want to slog back through all of the previous Chapters of this comic,
Yeah, the last paragraph came out pretty wrong in retrospect. Let me set the record straight: the first three chapters were really straigthforward, self contained and flowed nicely - absolutely no need to tamper with. It's just that the climax of Chapter 4 and beyond gave too much of a tonal shift towards drama for the sake of rushing plot without considering development for the other characters.

Take your pic related guy Johnny - we're suppose to get that he and his gang are "Mayview's Most Notorious™" yet we never see them in action towards people with NO CONNECTION to Max. Even the bullying that was suppose to be going on (Max vs Johnny at Ch1, Ollie vs Isaac at Ch3) was completely offscreen! And I'm supposed to believe that recent events like Forge's possession of him and Hitball changed his screws around in just a couple of days? No!

[ See more at for what I mean - wanted to get some relevant reaction pics, got this thorough chara analysis instead...]

I'm proposing that adaptation for a more appealing medium may give some incentive to fill in those gaps between 3 & 4 and make the characters a little more rounded and have solid reasons for us to care about them, only then we let drop those mythological bombs. Right?

Bentley Evans
Bentley Evans

I forgot some words...I meant to say:
And I'm supposed to believe that HE DESERVES all the recent events like Forge's possession of him and Hitball ehich changed his screws around in just a couple of days? No!

...I don't want the conversation detached.

James Lee
James Lee

On the one hand, the fact he's being almost as silly in mannerisms as Johnny and the boys seems a bit lazy, like the writer knew how a character should react to drag the story in the direction they wanted and quickly. On the other hand, it also could be read as Max getting accustomed to the town and the townspeople, letting his above-it-all attitude down gradually.

Jose Turner
Jose Turner

Zack predicted Undertale.

Mason Rogers
Mason Rogers

All of the previous chapters
Four chapters user. Three of which are pretty short and to the point.

Kayden Jenkins
Kayden Jenkins

.the fact he's being almost as silly in mannerisms as Johnny and the boys
I'm not reading this clearly, user...not even from that pic. Clarify? [I was just using pic related to kinda illustrate what I see as Johnny's almost psychopathic tendencies which gave me my permanent impression of him - as in "He knows getting to Isaac will weaken Max's defence of their secrets, and he'll get to the thing that he wants in the most brutal things imaginable"]

Dylan Morales
Dylan Morales

For now I'm just going to assume Hijack can inhabit a body and still allow the user to maintain his own autonomy as Hijack wishes, choosing to fully take over as needed.

Nathan Jones
Nathan Jones

No, that would be awful writing. The entire idea behind the Spender twist was the revelation that everything that Spender had been doing up until this point was actually Hijack working off of the intel he got from Zarei so that he could convincingly pretend to be Spender. If it turned out that Hijack could just let Spender take control without knowing he's been possessed it would mean that Hijack could have been anyone.

As has been said, the eye was Garcia eyeing Hijack suspiciously, Hijack's reaction was genuine, we know enough about him now to know he probably gets nervous about being found out.

Gabriel Rogers
Gabriel Rogers

Chapter 1 Max's first 'encounter' with the boys he is oblivious to their perceived threat level and fucks about with them. Chapter 2 he's still very smart-aleck about their banter but acknowledges (and runs away from) their ass-kicking abilities. The Max of Chapter 2 would be very unlikely to respond to Chapter 4 Johnny with the line about 'dragged/drug' or "you're evil!" with a straight face, it seems like a drastic break in attitude - which can be chalked up to character development or "I just want a crazy wacky page this time with zany banter".

Leo Ward
Leo Ward

I'm not saying all criticism of the comic isn't justified but it's really hard to take it seriously coming from people who come up with like five retarded theories per thread because they can't understand a simple basic page.

Christopher Watson
Christopher Watson

I mean, he's wearing goku colors right there

Daniel Cruz
Daniel Cruz

And Muse *does* resemble the average Saiyan, looking closely at him.

Xavier Baker
Xavier Baker

search your hearts, you know it to be true

Eli Perry
Eli Perry

That actually makes sense.