Avengers - No Surrender preview

Who's hyped for weekly Avengers event? Brought to you by superstar team Waid-Ewing-Zub.

I'm unironically hype, yes. First time I've been even mildly excited for an Avengers arc since ANAD started.

Mind you, not hype enough to actually pay $4 a week for it, but I'll read it and maybe get the complete HC if I end up liking it.

Had to resize this one.

>actually recognizing Living Lightning
>in his civilian guise as that
wew

Doubt sales will be great for this one, I doubt it will be terrible though.

>being hyped for sjw marvel
dude lay down on that soy. you testosterone must be dangerously low

Eh, either way, they're billing it as a 16 part weekly and have already solicited most of it so regardless of sales, it's not like they're going to cancel it early or anything. I generally don't buy floppies for books that don't need the support.

So in Waid's head, people can't recognize Captain America but do recognize Living Lightning

I imagine the use of Living Lightning is more of a Ewing-move, considering his love for C-listers and below. He recognized him because he was part of the Rangers, and they're operating in Texas. It's like recognizing the members of your local sports team even if they never make the play-offs versus knowing the members of, say, the Steelers or the Lakers.

JARVIS NO

What happens after sixteen weeks? That seems a little early to be the next line wide relaunch isn’t it?

well at leas you are smart enough to read it for free and not promote marvel's sleezy efforts to release a 4$ weeklhy

F

If you were buying Avengers, Uncanny Avengers and USAvengers, then getting the weekly isn't really much different than just pulling those three books since this is a combination of them. But the only one I was buying was USAvengers, so that's not the case for me.

Jarvis got Captain Stacy'd

Not necessarily linewide, but it all kinda lines up. No Surrender would be around the same month that:
>Bendis' runs on Spider-man, Defenders, Jessica Jones, and Iron Man
>Tony returns and Iron Man gets its "landmark milestone issue with major shake-ups"
>Cap hits its "landmark milestone issue with major shake-ups"
>Aaron's "Death of the Mighty Thor" arc finished with, presumably, Jane dieing
>Duggan's Countdown to Infinity starts (which is replacing his GotG)
Likewise, No Surrender is the end of the current era of Avengers books, hence why Uncanny, USA and adjectiveless all folded into this.

And most importantly:
>Alonso's tenure as EiC comes to an end and he's fully replaced by Cebulski

So while it may not necessarily be a full line-wide relaunch, it'd at least be when relaunching for all the Avengers-family books would have to happen. It's also right around the time that Infinity War will be set to come out in theaters. Beyond that, it would be odd if they DIDN'T do a big relaunch for the sake of putting an end to the Alonso era and starting the Cebulski era.

my boy Herc

>>Bendis' runs on Spider-man, Defenders, Jessica Jones, and Iron Man end
Fixed.

According to Brevoort, this is like the "Disassembled" of the current Avengers era and will make way for the next chapter of the Avengers.

are you me?
I'm in for the Black Order and the Lethal Legion

>Lethal Legion
Aside from the Blood Brothers, they're all OCs that have seemingly nothing to do with the past versions of the Lethal Legion. But I'm also unironically excited for the Black Order's return. Ebony Maw, Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight really grew on me. Don't much care about Black Dwarf or Supergiant. Black Swan is a top-tier QT though and I like Black Dwarf's design if nothing else. Marvel Future Fight likely has a lot to do with me coming around on those characters though.

>Restocking the Mansion's pantry
So the Avengers moved back in to the Mansion?

Will this be 52 of our times?

I'm gonna guess he'll live, I highly doubt Marvel would spoil his death like this.

No, 52 was a fluke. Every other weekly has been fucking garbage, the closest thing to a decent weekly was Trinity, and even that wasn't good.

To be fair, that story where some people didn't recognize Captain America was set not not long after he was unfrozen, and in a rural town in the middle of nowhere at that. You'd still think they'd recognize him from the history books though.

Well, for one, this is only 16 issues as opposed to 52, making it less a big epic weekly series and more just an excuse to have a lot of decompression. But that aside, 52 was an anomaly. Every other attempt DC has made at doing a huge weekly series like it has been genuinely terrible. The best they managed was fucking Future's End. Think about that.

Meanwhile, Marvel has very few weekly series under their belt and the ones they do have, like Wolverines, haven't been any good either.

There's no way this'll be as good as 52 because by all accounts, 52 being as good as it was was some kinda fucking cosmic anomaly, but all this has to do to be one of the best weekly series is just be, well, competently told. Having multiple writers involved along with extremely tight deadlines and a big balancing act between artists is extremely hard to pull off well even for the most talented people in the industry.

Pretty excited, actually. I was already pulling Avengers, USAvengers, and Occupy back before it was cancelled. I spend close to $200 a month on floppies already and add new titles all the time, so another eight bucks isn't really a big deal.

Another Superhero faggot??

In Uncanny Avengers, they were using its ruins as a temporary base, then they started rebuilding it, then Juggernaut attacked (bit of a long story). I think they live there now, but I'm not sure

Not buying any of those comics and never will till marvel gets better writers

Living Lightning has been gay since 2005. It's just that he hasn't shown up in any comics for years so people forgot about that.

Well, if "The Living Lightning" is any indication of the villains I'll pass.

>16-part epic
>another status quo change
>Waid
Jesus Christ, do not want

Didn't Slott turn him gay by mistake in a GLA joke, forgetting (or not caring) that he was straight before?

>Living Lightning
>villain
I think you're confusing him with Living Laser.

>another status quo change
Are you saying that you actually give a shit about the current Avengers status quo?

Yes, we know. You're boycotting the industry cause tweets has been upsetting you for a while.

It happened again in this week's Cap, people could only tell after he introduced himself by name

No, and that's exactly my point. All they do is lurch from one "never be the same again" story to another, so who gives a fuck about any of it?

who wrote this?
this is just garbage tier writing

Which is funny because Lightning actually jokes about how he changed his name because people kept confusing him with Living Laser.

Brother!
You're a patron of the arts, don't let anyone tell you otherwise

Either Waid, Ewing or Zub. Reads like Zub if I'd have to guess, but since it's using characters from Waid's Avengers, it might be Waid.

Calling that book Occupy Avengers was such a huge disservice. I guarantee that it would have done better if it was called something like, I dunno, "Hawkeye and the Hard-Traveling Avengers."

You can recognize the chunks written by Zub by how clunky the dialogue becomes.

What is wrong with it user?

Zub said on his tumblr that Living Lightning being in this was all on Ewing.

>Redwing! Clear the area!
what the fuck is redwing gonna do?

But he was out of costume. Hell, he had a secret identity until the early 00s, so people didn't even know what he looked like out of costume until like 4 years ago in-universe. If someone that looked like George Clooney walked into my local Denny's, I wouldn't think that person was actually George Clooney, just someone that looked like him. If they then said their name was George then yeah, I'd go "oh shit, that's actually George Clooney."

You could tell towards the end that Walker just quit trying when he knew the book was DOA. It's a real shame, those first arcs were building up something pretty good. I guess it's partly on him too though. He should know that you can't put a team together that slowly in this market.

Based on the art, dive at a crowd while squawking, thus causing them to duck out of the way in fear of being attacked by a crazy bird. How he was able to do this faster than it would have taken for the car to hit them though is beyond me.

Yeah, that Secret Empire arc was trash, but the stuff that came before it was great.

The art does a pretty explanatory job at showing what he does

Redwing is now a vampire
Human vampires are much faster than baseline humans so I'm going to assume that a vampire falcon is insanely fast

I think the saddest thing is that Secret Empire actually fit with the motif the book had of things not being what they appeared, starting from the fake water crisis, to the LMDs, to the town of skrulls. On a different scale it could have worked really well, but they had to ship Hawkeye out to the main title and have the characters do nothing that could risk being relevant to the actual story.

What's worse is that the way they marketed it and the actual content had nothing to do with each other
>Super heroes – they’re a privileged class. Doing what they want, when they want and suffering no consequences. They have no regard for the ordinary people who are left behind to suffer in their wake. Who will stand up for the little guy? There is a man. If you can find him, and if he believes in your story, he and his friends will put things right. Some call them outlaws, rebels, Robin Hoods. To others, they are heroes. No powers to speak of – just skills, smarts and a burning drive to do the right thing. His name is Hawkeye. Occupy Avengers: It’s time to “Take Back Justice”!

They also made it sound like they were gonna deal with "real world" problems, but they ended up fighting Hydro-Man, rogue LMDs, Skrulls and Hydra.

well if Larraz is drawing this I guess I'm on board for some of the issues.

There aren't actually that many male ones.

That whole sequence is Ewing to a T. Ewing is also the only guy who might save this event.

So from what we've been shown, it seems that the Grandmaster has something to do with all this.

52 basically almost murdered everyone working on it.

>Referencing Initiative teams

That feels weird. Like they kinda just decided to ignore the Initiative most of the time.

Anyone think Waid'll give him a boyfriend?

Ah, spoke too soon.

>I know how you are
Marvel """""editors"""""

check out Uncanny Avengers, Rogue has been written well for a while now

>You know how it is
>Oh, I know how *you* are
Are you mentally deficient?

I've been meaning to catch up on it. I bought the Remender Omnibus in July, but haven't gotten around to reading it. I have about a dozen omnis I haven't even touched yet.

Remender's run is kinda crap but Duggan and now Zub are writing a fun book

Exactly. All they had to do was market it as "team of street level heroes go on a road trip across the US and stop the super-villains that the regular Avengers overlook." God forbid we get some comics that don't take place in New York or one of the half-dozen fictional locales they usually use.

>referencing forgotten/ignored marvel continuity while trying to prop up a c/d-lister in the process
Yeah, this scene was written by Ewing alright. Seems like the "potential boyfriend" is that detective he's talking to later in the scene.

I think Remender's run is good, but his Rogue is terrible.

Well Rogue is an edgelord that thinks everyone is against her.

Ewing is on it so I'll give it a chance.

He's alive but in a coma... that was mentioned in the synopsis.

just like he saved shithumans, right?

Save in terms of writing, not in terms of sales. Royals was ruined by his instance on doing yet another Cuckbolt arc and, at this point, I'm pretty sure that's just someone in editorial with an NTR fetish making cuck bolt mandatory.

>soy
Get out Sup Forums, you don't fucking belong here

What's the point of all that jazz Nadia is saying? It's so awful.

I guess the last taboo is 'Not good looking'.
If you got the gay you got to be cute, as well!

A red sky? That could be a good sign.

Red skies at night, Crisis delight.

Atlas (and Hercules) lifted the sky, not the Earth.

...otherwise I am loving this.

Batman Eternal was better than Future's End.

>Royals was ruined by his instance on doing yet another Cuckbolt arc

And by introducing Celestial Variant #1,609. Fuck that shit.

It devalues the Celestials if you're constantly using them. Plus, having the inhumans be able to actually beat a celestial without black bolt's help is some straight bullshit.

Although now that I think about it, Earth-X set the inhumans up as some kinda anti-Celestial race and considering Marvel's obsession with ripping stuff from Earth-X and making it canon, it actually is kind of weird that they went with not-Celestials.

Yeah, that last panel really didn't need any dialogue at all. The whole page reads a lot better if there is no dialogue in the last panel since it reinforces the fact that this is such an intense situation that she doesn't have time to talk or quip.

The big Infinty event will be a thing with Thanos.

Then a more streamlined going back to basics relaunch will happen. With classic heroes returning and classic team and status quos.

I disagree.

>The big Infinty event will be a thing with Thanos.
Looks like, as of now, the infinity gemstone distribution is:
>Star-Lord = Power
>Wolverine = Space
>Yaas Queen = Reality
>Thanos = Time
>Adam Warlock = Soul
Mind is still unaccounted for.

And Aaron's Thor teased that Loki will be the one that gets the gauntlet though that could always be a fake-out.

So while Thanos will definitely be in it, he may not necessarily be the main antagonist. At least, hopefully he isn't. It just being a straight retread of Infinity Gauntlet would be pretty creatively bankrupt, even more current Marvel. If they tie it back into Legacy #1, then the antagonists will actually be the Celestials so it might be more of a case of "heroes need to gather the gauntlet to stop the celestials from destroying earth but x, y and z people are getting in the way."

>16 parts

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D