Worm

So what does Sup Forums think about worm?
does anyone here give a shit. its a cape thing so I figured this would be the place to ask even though its not really a cartoon.

Other urls found in this thread:

sys.Sup
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This isn't a cape board, fuck off.

/lit/ sure ain't the place for it.

-Yeah, I love it. Taylor accomplishes way, way too much for someone not even 18 years old but I overlook it.

I think it isn't Sup Forums related and you should fuck off to /lit/

Allegedly wildbow "rolled the die" to determine who would survive Leviathan's attack. Seems kinda stupid that he considered Taylor could die. There's literally no one else who could have stood up to the final villain.

I get the impression he played fast and loose with the series as a challenge to his writing ability and to make every situation seem desperate. but thats about all i know.

Everything about the Slaughterhouse 9 was such a fucking slog.

Well I mean
Ward is now ongoing, it's been fun.

Honestly, Worm comes across as one of those settings that needs a whole team of people to maintain and build. It's a very detailed world with a interesting power system that somewhat makes sense. However, Wildbow is a bit lacking on fleshing out some of his characters, leaving them to either leave the story prematurely or wallow around forever without direction.

Nursery's power is disturbing

I admit that turns me more towards fanfiction that is willing to do that sort of thing.

You mean all those cool new horrifying powers weren't enough for you you fucking degenerate?

pic related, what you don't have if you seriously think the S9 arc was a slog

>Thread still up.
Good job mods

It deserves to be up, you cunt

No it fucking doesn't. This isn't a comic or a cartoon.

Yes it does and yes it is you fucking subhuman illiterate knobgobbler

>You mean all those cool new horrifying powers weren't enough for you
No, because I'm not 12.

Dang, must be hard reading all those big words from a big boy web serial you precocious 11 year old.

it is now

No it doesn't and no it isn't. This thread belongs on /lit/.

sys.Sup Forums.org/co/imgboard.php?mode=report&no=97366742&altc=1

Don't you mean her baby's power

Whoops

Yes it is and yes it does. This thread blongs exactly where it's at.
See

It's likely she's just a loon as is suggested in-universe, though she does have an Abaddon shard

>could I argue for the merits of what he doesn't like?
>no need, insults will prove I'm right
fag

She seems pretty coherent for a loon

There are many ways it could have turned out. Worm didn't need a happy ending for one.
Taylor put everyone together yeah, but ultimately, everyone else had the tools, and they actually put together the final nemesis' weakness FIRST, she just followed them afterwards and was basically just doing 10 to 25% of the work by the time everyone picked on it.

Who here thinks Victoria (Ward spoilers) is being biased against Amy? Also, Wildbow's doing well with the flying brick powerset.

high-functioning loons usually are lucid for large stretches of time. She didn't seem very sane when she was activating her shaker power, what with the squelching meat sounds and all.

>is being biased against Amy?
I mean, from what we saw in Worm, Amy's pretty fucking crazy. She fixed her mistake but she's not wrong that she could be a ticking time bomb. Maybe she should try to forgive her, but turning her gay and then turning her into a blob is pretty heinous. Plus she made Khepri

Play stupid games get stupid prizes

Everyone of the three arcs they were in managed with some major teams, they were built up and delivered slowly as they should, because they are a big overarching threat. What? You wanted the lingering S-Class with the world-ender in it to be developed and over with in one arc?
Really want your opinion about why you think its a slog, since we see so much delivery on character interactions in this arc in a way that before it was wholly focused on taylor and the Undersiders.
I mean, if you think the story was about action, like some people do, saying the book was better when it was street-level, instead of characters, which is what books are for, then yes, it could be seen as a slog.
It kinda baffles my mind however, how much Sup Forums hates on some comics for being boring or generic or trying to appeal to something in a different way, and then decide to analyse a book on their favorite topic, they are turned away by "urgh, my actual character depth"

Tinker 15 here you go
>You can build anything, and you can manifest advanced materials with which to build more, secreting it from your body. Further, your produced gear upgrades itself over time.

>However, this comes at a cost. Your volition is gone, the shard is in full control, and in the course of its building frenzies, you're a mind trapped in a body that has been altered to a cyborg state, every limb and joint bending painfully in the wrong directions as you scurry and lurch this way and that, vomiting out materials that tear up your throat and mouth, and knock teeth loose, or feeling red hot agony as ceramics and hyperspecialized alloys thrust their way out of your body in spears and slabs.

>Because the shard doesn't know how to take care of a human body, you fester, maggots eat dying flesh, you starve, and the solutions the shard devises and tinkers to sustain its host only barely keep you sustained, hauling you back into existence when your body or mind start to give. It needs you sane, for the occasional reference, so it drugs you to do just that.

>Your waking existence is forever dying and slowly going mad, but never quite getting that release, filled with dread for those moments that are absolute torture, where the shard produces materials. Your sleeping existence is worse, because you get a sense of how the shard thinks, and of why things are the way they are. You were a threat to Scion, his path to victory figured that out, so he took you out of play in the most efficient way possible. By destroying you, and making you a tool against humanity.

iunno. Amy fucked up in doing that yeah but her home environment and her sisters aura where not helping her remain emotionally stable.

Lonsheep is a beast and all, but you forgot some dude is making an upcomming 60 second animation. We do it bois

I was on that reddit thread too user

>freakish eternal cyberpunk city building eldritch monster
That makes a nice class s thread

I mean, it was stable up until the mind-rape

and rape-rape...

this^

>it was stable
in the same way gunpowder in a non grounded place known for storms is stable. theyre fucking kids.

Well yeah. As stable as it could have been, given the circumstances.

Reminder that Defiant made his waifu real

Literally living the dream we all have.

Why even fucking live now.

How robot get pregnant

>Please remember to redirect your complaints over to
>We appreciate your opinion very much

And that is not even linking ALL of the Sup Forums threads that I should have. This has been a cape board since always. It doesn't hurt anyone for being there and it is as much tangentially relateable as other, worst, stuff that is constantly in this board is.
Its here as a deserving recommendation for other people into capeshit, because I will forever thank discovering this book through threads like these, because god knows comics I enjoyed have went to shit and I'm tired of them and I know people who are too.
Why are you even wasting your time policing the board if that is what the mods are paid (lol) to do. Leaving it here and letting it die is the better thing to do, we get few posters everytime, some retard OP always post some terrible fan art instead of a good one, you are basically just bumping it every time it does, since it also adds the fuss of a discussion that will cover further posts that will bump it further still. It boggles the mind, with all due sincerity.

Same way she made her drones pilotable, with a bio-core.

>Actually wanting children in one of the worst timelines our Earth could have

yes
this ^^^^^^

Pretty sure she and Armsmaster would probably dredge up Andrew Richter's DNA and grow one. She implied that they could literally engineer a baby

Wow, whole lotta projection in that post.
My problem with the S9 is that they have nothing to offer aside from being crazed villains. A much stronger way to deliver on street-level intrigue and have satisfying character interaction would have been to have the remaining teams in the city actually have to get tangled in each other's messes instead of having these bunch of nothing villains wiping the slate clean.

seems pretty shit yeah. but it might be worth trolling e88 by posting this picture everywhere on their hide out.

It really doesn't belong here. If you care so much about it, make some content that fits Sup Forums. If you can get a group of people together who care about this, you might have something that deserves posting here within six weeks. You won't though.

The only reason you might post here is because Sup Forums is a creative graveyard, and you're already dead.

Hey, gotta repopulate and build a brighter tomorrow somehow. Who doesn't want a robot GF that wants to get pregnant

>Wow, whole lotta projection in that post.
>Posts a critique in one line, with no depth, sounds like shitposting
Sorry, I did respond to that kinda generically. The latter part as you can see is more targeted towards the generic Sup Forums user however. Don't expect good answers with any type of insight on your true opinion if you didn't mind to share that at first, its literally asking to be shat on.

Now to actually talk about what you think, since you minded to attach that this time around.
Two things. One that you have to be honest. Character depth is all fine and dandy, but did you REALLY want yet another NINE character arcs of sad-murderish backstory? The story is edgy enough for some as is. The world however has to breach the subject of "crazed villains". We had explored people who GOT fucked up by their power, we had people who became lunatics because of their power, so what happens when a lunatic gets powers? It would be dumb to say that such a thing never happened in the world. Most psycopaths, after all, are either born one or become one through some major trauma early in their lives. But that does make you think, "exactly, so why do they even need to be there?"

We had already seen everything surrounding the pre-established villains and heroes in town. More of it would just be more of the same plus some action that we wouldn't even see off screen because it would have been dealt by the heroes instead. Everyone who needed or deserved it already had gotten expanded on. Something new had to come along or else we would get "Undersiders vs Wards/PRT (3rd time?)" "Undersiders VS E88 but weaker and in 2 different fights" "Undersiders VS. Merchants, the weakest cape group in town" "Undersiders vs Faultline WHY?" who else even is there at this point as proper enemies? No. We needed something new that didn't need more than the interludes as build up and background, that posed as the next wall for our character to overcome to show us new facets of them

Don't forget to help the mods!

I think Amy never's "rape-rape" was never confirmed. It doesn't seem likely, based on what Victoria has said in Ward.

How many years in the future is Worm 2 meant to be?

yes this ^^^^^

Three years, I believe its in the Glow-Worm prologue, if Ward doesn't turn out to happen before Glow-Worm. Haven't read the former yet.

Just two

Do you only post that phrase? Also there is absolutely no need to be extra cringeworthy with those pointers. You are responding to a post. We get it

Amy is just fucked up, but she never rape-raped. There IS a borderline fetishistic fanfic where she does rape I believe pretty much everyone though

Yeah she just turns Victoria gay

it's heavily implied when jack tells her she has to (roughly, IIRC) do everything she desired to do to her, otherwise they'd kill their dad.

And the last chapter only confirmed that she decided to keep her memory of the asylum, not what led to her being put there or the specific things that led to her being put there, like the crawler acid and coccoon or rape.

source? do want

So what did you win?

rule 34 of a web serial

bretty gud doe

>but did you REALLY want yet another NINE character arcs of sad-murderish backstory?
Hell no, we got way too much of them as is and for all we got they weren't a particularly intriguing bunch. If anything less would have been more.

>The world however has to breach the subject of "crazed villains".
I absolutely agree but that's really the only level that makes their existence in the story worthwhile. Everything they accomplished in their arcs could have been done in a much tighter and satisfying story.
They were also annoying in that they weren't really clever or powerful or scary enough in a way that made it feel reasonable for them seem like such dire threats. Jack Slash's whole manipulation schtick was so unconvincing everyone just looked incompetetent.
And when all was said and done for all the horrible edgy shit they did when they were gone they were just gone. Grue's trauma took a complete backseat and it was business as usual. So all the edgelord shit was just for style points.
They weren't impressive in a way that justified all of the time spent on them and yet they became this huge plot point.

shitposting has no discrimination ^^^^^^^^

Pretty sure Ward is afterwards. We have the villains planning to do a thing and then they do the thing

>If anything less would have been more.
You must really like DC

The hell is that supposed to mean?

>they weren't really clever or powerful or scary enough in a way that made it feel reasonable for them seem like such dire threats.
Compared to all human threats before them? Yes they were. Mostly all the worst powers we'd seen at that point, with the fact that every single one of them had no reason whatsoever to hold back in any fight or to hurt civilians. If Taylor's entire chapter of just running to save her father while saving entire neighborhoods just as a backstage in her head wasn't kino for you, that is just, like, your opinion, man.
How can you say Grue's trauma becomes backstage when that gets an entire interlude? He was then gets the rest of the story where he is relevant constant background noise of him just that little more hesitant, just that little more unsure and unprepared, scared of the next conflict to come. His thing with taylor is as short as it needed to be, it wasn't functional, and every beat we get from it fulfills his role in the story for me. A guy that grew up with the "macho" lifestyle in mind that got shows just how weak he was, and he never came back from it.
Its entirely because of mannequin that Taylor gets recognized after the arcs are done. It is entirely because of, again, him and Burnscar, that we get the orphans and more on "Skitter's people" for the rest of the story. They would have been a smaller group if her presence wasn't the cause and the need for them to get together. This discussion is specifically brought up by journalists and Danny after her unmasking.
Cherish becomes a keystone to a very satisfying and mysterious built up around one minor, albeit cool and seemingly all-powerful villain later on, since if you kill her, she just becomes you afterwards.
And yes, Jack not being all that is the entire point. I always thought you are supposed to know that and hate him for it. He is just a jackass with a distorted illusion of grandeur with too much power in his hands.

Where did you get that she has an Abaddon shard, user?. I'm honestly curious.

To really expand on it, their attack on Parian's territory becomes a central point for that character and the character mostly connected to her later on, Flechette.
Its thanks to them that we even see the need to explore more of the Travelers, because the two groups got kinda expelled together from the bighats reunion. More build-up to the Noelle thing and their entire arc overall.
Bonesaw is the most disgusting thing, the most "okay I'm not supposed to have any love for this character, I'm sure" which gets turned on tis head when you do start maybe not liking her, but pitying her.
Siberian, the most "unstopable", higher the Triumvirate from the get-go and a nice door left open for the reader to get more of Cauldron later on.
I could go on

You mentioned I think twice that it could have been less. What exactly would you have cut down?

>scary
To be fair, cape villains can't be scary at all no matter the writing.
>B-BUH POWERS
Only manchildren think like that, don't go that road.

Probably from Word of God, Wonderbread talks a lot about different stuff.
But weren't Abaddon shards technically Eden shards, or on her body, and don't all Eden shards come from Cauldron?

>scary
>B-BUH POWERS
I never said the two were linked.

>But weren't Abaddon shards technically Eden shards, or on her body, and don't all Eden shards come from Cauldron?
The only abaddon shard that we get in the entire book is Contessa's. Which was the one shard we see of that Eden physically makes and says she makes because Abaddon showed her how. Any other shard is either Eden or pure speculation that it belongs to abaddon.

All Cauldron shards come from Eden or Abaddon.
Contessa is likely Abaddon
But the rest of the core Cauldrons are likely Eden proper.
Remember Abaddon have Eden a lot of shards which never got toned down or messed with.

I'm just saying. I get that argument ALOT when I argue that a particular villain is not scary, so I'd rather get it out of the bag now and spare myself the bullshit. Just in case.

Huh, I always thought Eden shards were not balanced because she didn't get to that part before she collapsed, not because they were Abaddon's

When do we see that? I thought they always had the victory shard, since Scion has it as well.

I've been listening to the audiobook. You guys are right. it's pretty good.

In Eden's interlude, she clashes with abaddon, takes in the new information, sees how his precognition works, how he modified it to fit the purpose that PoV has, tests it out, we see the "could-be-entity-utopia", and she crash-lands. I always assumed Scion paid attention to Contessa's shard and just did much the same, tried to emulate a PoV, just to get fucking fucked into one of my favorite moments when we see firsthand him breaking down. How we wasn't even angry, but a more "how dare you" when Sveta started flinging body parts at him.

Where you at now? Also, major spoilers in basically every single comment here

she confirms she remembers the entities, a trait that only abaddon shards have, like miss militia

>Taylor's entire chapter of just running to save her father
This made me realize why all the mover capes were killed off, all these moments of tension would have been pretty trivial if they had a Flash around
Oh I see, thanks

It's odd that mover powers are kind of rare to begin with

>audiobook

link plz?

Contessa is confirmed eden dude, did you not read her interlude?

Its 2017, c'mon now
bfy DOT tw/FTVS

Being fast doesn't solve the problem user, if people don't have time to wake up and hear what you are trying to freaking warn them of.
Unless you are talking about the main character being a mover. Movers aren't that rare, its just that like every power, when they are present, they are mostly reduced. For example, technically every flier is a mover and flies faster than someone walks, but no, we don't get faster-than-sound fast except for people like Velocity, who died saving people in a very creative way against the fastest speedster, a teleporter that worked in New York, one of the biggest cities we see in the story, Strider IIRC. But that is just like saying "huh, we don't see that many bus-flinging/building-lifting capes in this story". Or that we don't see enough city-scale-mind-controllers. No power is too high a scale, because that doesn't maximize conflict, it just wins out. Except you are Cauldron.

Did you?
>This entity knows right away that there is a wealth of information here. But there must be cooperation, information given for information. Even as they grind together, destroying one another in a brutal exchange of shards, the entity works to salvage key shards, to put ones it can afford to lose on the exterior body. This is the optimal path, the best way to achieve their end goal. The shards here are rich with memories, experience and unexplored possibilities. It is worth sacrificing as much as she is.
>This entity sees new possibilities, now. Not simply conflict, but philosophy and psychology. Imagination. It is in these new patterns of thought that it can see a possibility for the future.
Unless you mean no shards are Abaddon because he wasn`t physically on Earth. In that case, yes, there are no abaddon shards. We are talking about the shards that came from Eden, but that Eden herself got from Abaddon in the exchange.

You're right, but she only didn't restrict Contessa's

WOG has confirmed abaddon shards are in out in the wild. he sent some ahead and also the eden mixed ones

Nope, from Scion`s this time, we see him shooting down dead and broken shards, two different things from the looks of it. Dead are ones that aren`t even connected to the entity anymore. I believe scion either fixes the dead or the broken ones, which is what he does with Vikare in the boat, also curing him of his cancer just because it would allow him to live long enough to feed info to his shard.
Some of the most broken shards are from Eden. Jack got the broadcaster from Eden, which is the only reason why Scion stays and listens to begin with. Sleeper, Ash Beast, and others are all non-tuned eden shards.
Other kind of non-tunedness are people like Leet and String-Theory, who get powers that are actively working against the user, Leet`s shards constantly undermining him, and actively leaving wide open space for him to kill himself if he makes dangerous enough a creation, while String-Theory has world shattering capacities made more dangerous by all of them having a time limit, as in, it WILL blow up 3 days, and 13 hours it is finished building, a misplaced limitation of sorts.

Sorry, I used a bad example I wanted to say somebody with more mobility, like a teleporter or something similar to Oni Lee.

You said no, but you didn't refute anything I said. Contessa is an unrestricted abaddon shard

>Compared to all human threats before them? Yes they were.
Eh. Sure they had strong guys but I wasn't so convinced by their methodology to believe the amount of success they had especially in the grand scheme of things.

>How can you say Grue's trauma becomes backstage
Cause it does. An interlude isn't much.
That aside the point is that there is a lot of horrific shit going on in-universe and when mentioned in passing the characters and the writing, reasonably, treat it with a certain amount of distance. But then when confronted with actual over-the-top shit it gets treated with the same distance.
I might chalk that up to Taylor's character but even when the Wards go out to investigate the first bunch of S9 victims they're just kind of "well here we have a bunch of mangled bodies. Hmmm." It's just really weird when things go unacknowledged like that.
For Wildbow who draws a lot of his strength in his character writing the S9 somehow brought out the worst in them treating shit like collateral damage.
Really for all their presence and build up the S9 did about three things that might have been of particular import that no one and nothing else could have done: Jack Slash's talk with Theo, Bonesaw torturing Grue, and Cherish being around, for Regent. The consequences of two of these three things were never hugely expanded on and the one that was was about a fucking side character.
Honestly all that would be fine but not after three goddamn arcs.

>but you didn't refute anything I said
>she only didn't restrict Contessa's
>Sleeper, Ash Beast, and others are all non-tuned eden shards.
Don`t actually make me type something again