What was the point of Byrne ignoring the previous runs? Even the creator of Doom Patrol like Morrison’s run

What was the point of Byrne ignoring the previous runs? Even the creator of Doom Patrol like Morrison’s run.

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/273325-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Byrne hates a lot of stuff and 12 year old girls aren't one of them

Byrne literally has autism and thinks the Doom Patrol should be DC's X-Men. Also, Rita was dead and Larry was an hermaphroditic creature, so you bet your ass he was going to bring back the originals.

>and thinks the Doom Patrol should be DC's X-Men
that's because the X-Men are Marvel's Doom Patrol. Fucking look it up.

I am aware, and no, that doesn't excuse it. Both Byrne and Kupperberg tried to do the X-Men thing with DP, and both sucked. Doesn't help that they were based on the worst X-Men too, the originals.

The Doom Patrol should always be the world's strangest heroes.

Morrison's run is a good Morrison comic but it has nothing to do with Doom Patrol. A recurring theme with the British invasion writers.

Has Doom Patrol ever had an encounter with The Extremists versions of X-Men?

Bryne is an autistic narcissist who thinks his versions of characters and comics are literally the best that ever happened.

>Basically erased most of Superman's lore with his Man of Steel run solely because he didn't like it and wanted to make the comic more like the Christopher Reeves movie
>Erased nearly all of Wonder Woman's supporting cast, Donna Troy most infamously, to populate it with his OCs instead

>The original creator, Arnold Drake, said Morrison's was the only subsequent run to reflect the intent of the original series.

Source: cbr.com/273325-2/

Says the guy that posts a fucking Tom King comic.

>gets told to reboot and re-imagine stuff by publisher
>does so
>"WHOA BRYNE IS OUT OF CONTROL"
Stop being retarded any time.

it's almost funny how much all of my favorite characters (Viz, Legion) being currently fucked goes back to Byrne

I remember when DC told him to ignore every past Etrigan and Wondy comic.

So during the last big Doom Patrol thread we had I went and read Giffen's run.

While not the best thing ever, I felt it did a good job reconstructing the characters. Showing how Rita was revived, what kind of weird crap Larry's psyche is dealing with from having swapped bodies so often, but also did some odd stuff like what became of Mento.

Makes me think if there was ever a Doom Patrol cartoon that adapted each run as a season, there'd always be some kaleidoscopic clusterfuck at the start of them showing how the DC universe shits itself on a regular basis and how the Doom Patrol manage to shrug it off every time, even if it leaves them confused.

>Legion
please tell me they've left David alone, Legacy was perfect and a perfect conclusion for him.

At least he brought back Rita.

But did so in a manner that was insulting, bullshit fashion of just having her show up out of the blue with no one knowing who she was. And Geoff's "Chief regrew her from her skull/Superboy Prime hit reality and she blinked back into existence" shit was no better either.

At the very least, they could have just ran full tilt with the "I was brought back to life by Superboy Prime hitting reality" card of her being brought back literally as a fluke and go hard with Chief hating her because she was always the one person who kept him from running Doom Patrol as his own private freak farm experiment ala the Morrison run. Rita dealing with the implications of being blinked back into existence/life and them wholesale running with the plot point that the Chief is pure evil and has ways to force Larry and Cliff to do his bidding and searching/mutilating more people to add to his army but being constantly foiled by Rita, would have at least let them bridge the Morrison DP to the return of the origina DP

I prefer the New 52 "Rita is a spoiled asshole starlet with multiple husbands and has to stay super duper happy and cheerful all the time or she'll melt into a puddle" take on the character personally. At least it made her a legit freak and not Arnold Drake sticking in a normie fetish fuel giantess into the book

Byrne hates Morrison.

"I get no sense from Morrison’s work that he has any 'love for the genre.' I get the same vibe I get from Moore—a cold and calculated mixing of ingredients the writer knows the fans like, but to which the writer himself has no eviceral [sic] connection. Nostalgia without being nostalgic, as I have dubbed it." -John Byrne

I always knew Byrne had no taste but damn.

I don't, that was as subtle as a bag of bricks. Classic Johns.

>that's because the X-Men are Marvel's Doom Patrol. Fucking look it up.

So? His argument is that Doom Patrol shouldn't be copying the copy.

>and has to stay super duper happy and cheerful all the time

Wasn't this in Waid's Brave and the Bold?

>a cold and calculated mixing of ingredients the writer knows the fans like, but to which the writer himself has no eviceral [sic] connection.
Did this fucker even read a single page of Supergods? Or literally any of Morrison's other works? Because his love for the genre fucking oozes from every pore. Especially in supergods.

Knowing how Byrne is on his board, I'm pretty sure he didn't. He has the same views toward Moore even on Moore's other stuff like 1963.

I remembered there was a huge argument on the Byrne board a decade ago where Byrne and his defenders tried to argue Moore's 1963 was not a good tribute because Moore was mocking Stan Lee (in the Bullpen Bulletins) and Marvel and that satire can't be tribute.

lol the "Affable Al" shit was the best part of 1963. How could anyone hate it?

Well it is a really savage take down of Lee. It was still funny but maybe a bit more brutal then it needed to be....or not. That's no surprise to anyone who knows anything about Moore though. He loves Kirby and Ditko but has never had much respect for Stan.

lol what does byrne think of funky flashman and houseroy

No he did used to have respect for Stan; he was even a fan of Stan back in the early 80's. In between him going into the US industry and writing 1963 he changed his mind (likely because the Kirby vs Marvel thing was going on during the 80's, too)

Different user, but Waid wrote it a bit differently. No melting from what I remember.
Not to defend Johns in his New52 stuff, but Giffen had her having some identity troubles having been regrown as a plastic thing. Johns just continued that thread and made it edgier (like he usually does)

Byrne actually did use Nessie and Julia a fair amount in his Wonder Woman, though obviously they were secondary to Cassie and whatever her mom's name was who banged Jason Blood

IIRC he liked Stan until he met with Jack Kirby and saw some of his Marvel scripts and saw how little Stan actually contributed to the stuff they did together. Until that point Moore had taken the "written by Stan Lee" credit at face value.

He's John FUCKING Byrne, that's who.

A Tom King comic about a character Byrne basically killed and brought back to life with no soul, because he can't understand the idea of a robot with feelings.