Was she a good villian?

Was she a good villian?

unironically did nothing wrong

Out of the four antagonists she was the weakest one, and I don't mean power-wise.

Mostly silent and expressionless

Her backstory had to be revealed through other characters and she only ever opens up until after she's defeated. Ozai is more 2-dimensional but he's much more entertaining to watch.

She's no Azula or Zaoh, that's for sure

She's not a villain. She's a "Korra" that the people fear and respect, with a loyal base who doesn't question her until she directly tries to kill them. Kuvira is just another piece of bad writing.

Good concept and great visual designed ruined by terrible writing. Like everything else in that show.

That's a girl?

Yes, they could've remained laser focused on her goals to reunify the Earth Kingdom and rule it with an iron fist, but instead chose to make Kuriva evil because she opposes the protagonists on installing an inept Earth King.

She did multiple things wrong in the fourth season that would've made her a villain in other series, but Raiko and Su Yin as heroes were so unlikable that you automatically root for Kurivia because she's more competent.

I dunno, second season bad guys were pretty terrible on all fronts.

No, she's a woman

She's a woman?

She's a woman.

Oh my God. I thought it was a Chinese man.

4. Kuvira
3. Unalaq
2. Amon
1. Zaheer

Amon would have been top of the list if the twist hadn't happened.

To be fair Chinese men look like women too

I can't remember.. Did the animation frame rate look this low in ATLA as well?

I liked her right up until her "you don't know what it's like to be an orphan!" speech. She's still a decent villain overall though, much better than Unalaq.

She was decent but they didn't dedicate enough screentime to set up her doubts and insecurities.

I still don't understand why they didn't keep the Red Lotus for Book 4. That had to be Nick demanding a new villain for each season right? I don't see why they would have Zuko talk about how the Red Lotus was still a threat and then drop it.

>villian
She was the fucking hero.

They should have made her powerful enough to stand up to Korra.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

The Red Lotus was never meant to last beyond one season and since all their most significant members were either dead or imprisoned or experience severe Villain Decay, they would've been worthless anyway. And who the fuck found their "muh anarchy" and "kill ze Avatar" shit interesting? I only found them moderately entertaining at the start because they were OP as fuck and they were building up to their motives being some kind of mega mind-blowing reveal. After episode 10/11, they basically lost any charm they had.

Also, this was the overarching theme of Korra:

Book 1: Amon takes away Korra's bending, stripping away one part of her identity. Also, he represents Aang's bending-stripping powers turned to evil.
Book 2: Unalaq/Vaatu take away Korra's Avatar spirit, stripping away another part of her identity. Also, they represent Aang's Avatar State powers turned to evil.
Book 3: The Red Lotus tries to take away Korra's life, further stripping away her identity. Also, Zaheer represents Aang's airbending turned to evil.
Book 4: Kuvira is supposed to represent Korra's negative traits and is supposed to be Korra fighting herself.

This was all planned out from the beginning like this. It was fucking retarded and if they had someone like Ehasz around, he would've been able to smack some sense into them about it but it was never Nickelodeon's fault, so stop blaming them for Bryke's fuck-ups.

>or imprisoned
Man, yknow where we should keep flying regicidal anarchist murderers? In a prison within flying distance of the fucking White House.

>overwhelming theme
Was there such a thing? I doubt it.

Like so much else on the show, wasted potential.

Korra/Kuvira makes more sense than Korsami.

Not really. There are two main kind of villains the way I see it:
The kind you don't see much of and are supposed to be intimidated by.
And the kind you see a lot of (and more importantly HEAR a lot from) and are supposed to find what they represent threatening.

You saw a lot of her, but what she represented wasn't really threatening or intimidating. And in the end it was downright petty.

Metal Fuhrer only screwed up when she put foreigners in concentration camps and then invaded the Republic.

yeah,she stole my heart day 1.

No

Hard to be the villain when you're actually the hero after all.

Unalaq could have been much better if they took time and didn't rush it.

Season 2 destroyed previously established lore.

Show would have been infinitely better if they guaranteed 2-3 seasons from the start, kept the setting in Republic City, developed Asami into an actual character, and had Amon as the main villain the whole time. Season 1 is actually pretty good, minus the twist ending, but it struggles with pacing because they had so many ideas that they couldn't fit in due to budget constraints and episodes ordered.

The best scene was when she mating pressed Korra with a strap-on

>imprisoning foreigners
>gaining back rightful Earth clay
Not seeing the problem.

>villian
>wanted to unify shit

Nah. Anti-Hero.

How did Nick get away with it?

I'll never get over how interesting season 1 could have been without that damn twist.

One additional season for them to lay things out and suddenly Korra is an infinitely better show.

I never watched past season 1. Did they drop the whole "non-benders having problems in a bending world" issue entirely?

Pretty much, yeah.

One of the best things about season 1 is the fish-out-of-water style. Republic City is a crazy place for someone like Korra. I have no doubt that the writers and executives demanded that Korra be more like Airbender with its world-spanning journeys come season 2, and it ruined the show a bit for me.

Started out good, turned trash, quick.
What a coincedence; just like every other villain in the show.

>Not seeing the problem.
So you would be okay with your country returning to those who originally owned it and you being ejected out or put to work off-screen?

Also completely change Korra's character development dynamic from rude bratty cunt who blames everyone but herself and yells at her friends to solve problems, and instead change it to where she learns to trust her friends and master and becomes open to new ideas, similar to the concept of learning how to air bending instead of just getting it.

Jap-Jigen looks cool as fucking ice.
Should def keeps the ponytail.

>I'll never get over how interesting season 1 could have been without that damn twist.
>Avatar is found at very young age.
>Previous Avatar's wife is around and a master Waterbender.
>Previous Avatar was friends with a wealthy and affluent family (Beifong.)
>Fire Nation is made good due to efforts of the previous Avatar and Fire Lord.
>"Aang entrusted us with keeping you safe," says the White Lotus stationed at the South Pole to the girl kept there for 17 years instead of being trained and learning in the Fire Nation palace, Beifong properties in the Earth Kingdom, and seeing as how Tenzin trusts his family to be safe on Air Temple Island (that's putting a big red target on yourself living there if it is apparently so unsafe outside the compound) she is not allowed to experience the world.
The show didn't make sense right from episode 1, no amount of seasons would have helped.

It's all basically Nickelodeon's fault. When Korra was in its infancy the writing staff were really excited and wanted to do a lot of things. They thought they could make a really refreshing and cool spin on the Avatar world. But Nick didn't give them a long enough leash, so the writing of Korra was kind of a mess. The plot works fine, the Twist is shit but whatever, but the worst part is that as a self-contained single-season show, Korra season 1 doesn't feel complete. They weren't allowed to fully develop the characters. Amon doesn't feel like he's a huge threat because we don't know him long enough. Problems are resolved much too quickly. Korra, Mako, and Bolin don't get satisfying character arcs because there wasn't enough time to fit that in. Asami might as well have been an attractive piece of cardboard.

Henry Rollins was best antagonist.

Meh, like most everything in LoK, she started out with some potential, but turned out mostly boring. The worst thing about her run, aside from that retarded giant robot, was that Korra's Season 4 arc hinged entirely on discovering how she and Kuvira were so alike, but Kuvira was never developed in a sufficient degree for that to work.

The reasoning given by Korra herself as to why they are alike is so flimsy, it could be employed on almost any two characters. Toph and Mai are alike because they both have grumpy attitudes and controlling parents. Katara and Azula are alike because they're both willful and take pride in their bending skills. Why, they both have mommy issues as well! They're practically the same!

Oh well, her metalbending moves were pretty sweet, at least.

>but herself
She constantly blamed herself though. The writing never had her succeed through her own merit changing her tactics since the ideas of her friends and masters also always came down to fighting. Tenzin was ineffectual in politics and spirituality which doesn't make sense considering how Aang taught him. Tenzin can't even get into the Spirit World, the hell did Aang teach him? Mako's against getting the URN involved but then fights in battles as a URN citizen? Then he's okay with entertaining Raiko's idea of installing Wu as a puppet since he doesn't just back out and quit the force, what happened to meddling? Tonraq, Varrick, and Korra's people wanted her on the South's side against Unalaq, not becoming opened to new ideas and staying neutral.
Just make the writing good or if you absolutely have to make your "good guys" have more flaws than the antagonists, then make the blame evident among everyone since too many just push the blame squarely on Korra.

Yes. People don't say it looks like anime for nothing.

Nickelodeon gave them too short a leash, sure, but they're not entirely blameless. If nothing else they should've been more realistic about what they wanted to accomplish.

I forgot what her intentions were exactly so she's not memorable at the least.

Red Lotus almost made watching Legend of Korra worth it
Almost...

I loved the Exbendables, but I wish the Red Lotus was more like James Bond's SPECTRE, as in a huge secret organization with a global reach. Ideally, the whole series would have been spent uncovering branches in each of the different Element Nations (thereby showing how they were all affected by the advances of technology during the time skip), and the main branch would be defeated in Season 4.

I really liked how season 4 followed from season 3, Kuvira felt like a logical extension from Zaheer. It's a shame they never interacted. Kuvira was a decent villain with a lackluster resolution. Though it wasn't as bad as Amon's.

I agree, if I were to rework Korra's plot I would make the Red Lotus the main "villain faction" and turn Amon and Kuvira into extended subplots. Book 3 could be changed into a first season so easily with some tweaks.

I always thought Amon would've dovetailed nicely into the Red Lotus plot. Unalaq would've made for a end boss too, if that season was properly written.

Amon could have been a leader of a rogue faction. He drinks his own kool-aid after a while, cuts ties and makes a bid for power in RC with his band of fanatics before everything is ready.

Kuvira could be a pawn of the main branch of the Red Lotus, who present themselves to her as Earth Kingdom loyalists led by a Pai Mei-looking guy. The RL does the dirty stuff behind Kuvira's back and feeds her biased intel and destructive advice, all the while setting her up to be martyred while fighting the Avatar or Allied forces, so the whole EK would unite to go to war.

I like Kuvira doing her own thing. She needs another book so she can team up with Korra and turn into an anti-hero.

Her motives weren't evil, just her tactics.

Kuvira needed to appear in more than 2 seconds in Book 3.

However, more development of Kuvira just makes it clearer that the climax of the Legend of Korra series was merely a Beifong family drama.

Kuvira had the potential to be one of the greatest villains in cartoon history, then Bryke remembered we have to make her do bad stuff and turned her into Metalbending Hitler.

I always thought it was a huge wasted opportunity that it wasn't Kuvira that helped teach Korra metalbending, and not Wing...

I wish Kuvira at least pulled a Cao Cao and used Wu to lend legitimacy to all her actions. That would have been a smart play and believable for a loyalist who wanted to preserve the Earth Kingdom as much as possible.

Remember that time when the Avatar Korra actively supported a Civil War and separatist movement in a nation and then helped her later lover profit from said war.

What happened to the Avatar suppose to be stopping revolts and wars all while being neutral.

At this point, I'd really like to see the whole Metalbending Hitler analogy come full circle and have her become the democratically elected President once Wu abolishes the monarchy in favor of governed states.

LoK Hitler would come from the Fire Nation.

I hope a warlord rises up and fucks up the Earth Republics. Just because you make something democratic doesn't mean it isn't going to become good or easy.

It takes a lot of time to build a nation with a functioning form of government and a willing populace (10 years minimum to 20 years top) if you even have the capabilities to do it. The most important part is you have to destroy the old culture or modify it to be co-operative with a democratic government. The Earth Kingdom has never had such a thing before in its long existence and has many autonomous states ran by oligarchs/dictators.

They didn't turn her into metalbending Hitler, they told us she was metalbending Hitler and expected us to just go along with it.

Going by her onscreen actions she was; at worst, metalbending Napoleon.

Wu was an annoying moron. Besides, him abdicating all responsibility like that was completely at odds with his character arc.

They more or less wrote themselves into a corner and pulled the ending out of their ass.

Well they were pretty badly fucked by Nickelodeon too, who slashed their budget down pretty hard. Their budget was literally so low that they had to do a clip show episode because the only other alternative they had was to fire some of the staff.

And Napoleon was awesome, so I don't know how they expect us to hate her for it.

Why did Korra shill for the Earth King? Why does she have say in the Earth civil war?

unironically this
she was the logical leader after the fall of the Earth Queen
the show has always been anti-united earth kingdom

I think that the Kuvira plot was a waste, this reunite EK setup and post war/humiliation should have been saved for the Earth Avatar book1 series ;_;

>doesn't like Kuvira
feel free to fugg off

>Best villain in the show
>Has the worst motivation
>Ended up being defeated by a shitty trope when he should have won

Wait she was not supposed to be a tragic anti-heroine ? Republic City was a bit much but she was completely justified in attacking Zhao Fu, Suyin can not just get away with carving out her own city state as a war lord, undermining the Earth Kingdom and sheltering criminals. If only she had not failed to kill Whorra the world would have been a better place.

>Muh Nazis
>Muh moral ambiguity
>Muh character doesn't speak until the end of the ark so you don't realize she is a bad character
I understand how she could have worked if anyone in the show was good at their job

Republic City is Earth Kingdom clay.

I think is because those two actuall shared more line that korra and assami ever did.

Looks like an attractive man when her hair is tied up, but looks like a beautiful woman with her hair down.

That I agree as well. Maybe it would've been better even to have them develop a relationship rather than the random Korrasami at the end.

Yes.

>Unalaq above anyone
Opinion discarded.

She only seemed like the hero because the Earth Queen was a monster and Prince Wu looked like he'd be a fuck up too. Then the show outright explains to you that after she liberates a region she leaves and takes all that region's resources with her, and she has a suspicious amount of gulags for a hero.

>The show didn't make sense right from episode 1, no amount of seasons would have helped.
/thread and checked

CUTE

>aang almost gets genocided as a kid
>korra almost gets kidnapped as a kid
>Protecting the Avatar until they grow up? FUCK THAT
the state of this thread

Unalaq gets a lot of unwarranted hate desu

>What happened to the Avatar suppose to be stopping revolts and wars all while being neutral.
It stopped with Yangchen.
Also Asami didn't profit from the Water Tribe civil war. She profited because Varrick is an idiot and revealed his identity to his mooks instead of hiring someone else to tell them what to do. Also Korra didn't support the civil war, she tried to remain neutral and that upset her Southern Water Tribe relations as they wanted her on their side right from the start.

>>aang almost gets genocided as a kid
>>korra almost gets kidnapped as a kid
Protecting the Avatar until they grow up? FUCK THAT
>The White Lotus sentries are only stationed on Air Temple Island.
>None of them follow her around in the city in season 1 and none of them go with her in seasons 2 or 3.
>Protect.
Nope, LoK didn't work unless we accept that everyone in the show is an idiot and has no idea of how to plan anything.

But he's so damn boring. He's Water Ozai but without any of the dramatic flare, or the sleaziness or anything really.

I always thought Kuvira was eerily similar to Satsuki.

I liked Kuvira, and could see why people were legitimately rooting for her over Prince Wu being a shit. But I kind of hated how things with Suyin were resolved.

I wanted someone to call Suyin out for her neglect of the situation. Not to mention that Kuvira's basically her adopted daughter, but she was treated like a hired hand that Suyin wanted assassinated, and yet she acted liked she was willing to let her war criminal son back into the fold with no strings attached.

>Anyone critiques Kuvira
>B-BUT SU YIN!!!

Every fucking time. Every thread since season 4 came out. Su Yin was a selfish bitch, we know, but that doesn't mean that Kuvira wasn't a deeply disturbed warmonger who threatened the world with a giant gundam that shot kamehameha waves

>then Bryke remembered we have to make her do bad stuff and turned her into Metalbending Hitler.

Are you saying he somehow woke up one day after half the season had aired and went "Wait she's supposed to be Hitler!" and then called the entire production team, ordered new episodes be written, ordered new designs be made, ordered new storyboards be created, ordered new lines to be recorded, ordered new key frames be animated ordered new animatics be assembled, ordered new in-betweens be drawn, ordered all the new frames to be colored and composed, all to create a new half of the show?

Or maybe they always wanted her to be metal Hitler and you were just too dumb to see it.

They protected Korra until she proved she was adult enough to leave the compound. A few came along to Airbender Island because Tenzin was anal in the beginning. She didn't need a personal detail following her around like some child by then.

I think it's less of an issue of people thinking Kuvira wasn't wrong about things in the end, and more of a complain about Suyin getting away with all her mistakes scot-free.

Kuvira needed to be brought down when she started going full dictator, but that doesn't mean Su yin wasn't responsible for some things as well.

>Kuvira wants to unify the EK
>"disturbed warmonger"
yeah lets have some beta cuck run the kingdom that'll give away all the EK land to Republican jews