Arnold's Grandpa is a combat veteran of WWII who served during the Battle of the Bulge...

Arnold's Grandpa is a combat veteran of WWII who served during the Battle of the Bulge, as depicted in the episode "Veteran's Day". The Battle of the Bulge ran from December, 1944 to January, 1945. The minimum age of military enlistment at the time was 17. Assuming The Jungle Movie takes place in 2017, this means Grandpa is 91, as an absolute minimum. How can he possibly be so active and lucid at that age?

Other urls found in this thread:

heyarnold.wikia.com/wiki/Grandpa's_Birthday
youtube.com/watch?v=DRGogGbYaLU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He eats raspberries.

Why would The Jungle Movie take place in 2017? Everyone was the same age.

This. Fucking pay attention when you watch the show.

/thread

Some people just live longer than others, without any kind medical condition

They don't call him 'Steely' Phil for nothing.

The show doesn't take place in the current year

Also, Steely Phil turned 81 back in an episode in 1998 anyway: heyarnold.wikia.com/wiki/Grandpa's_Birthday

It happens.
My Grandpa is 80 and he still does carpentry and yard work under the hot sun despite family members telling him to not to.

Doesn't have dementia or memory loss or nothing like that either.

Sliding timeline.

He's now a veteran of Afghanistan, just a really old-looking 30-year old.

Same way that Sherlock's Watson was originally injured in a random British war from the 1890's, yet in the newest reboot Watson was injured in Afghanistan.

It would've been funnier if his name was Dan

Doesn't the movie take place two years or so after the series?

He lied about his age, idiot. He's only 89.

>Battle of the Bulge
OwO

My friends great grandmother lived to be 110. And she was walking around doing things and being basically independent until about 107.

Though apparently the last three years were pretty rough.

Watson was originally injured in the 2nd Anglo Afghan war.

I recognize that bulge!

The random British conflict which the original Watson was injured in also took place in Afghanistan, in the 1890's.

>Stark invented transistors
da fuck?

>OwO
>I'm general patton, and what is this?

Apparently in the late 60s too. So about 15 years after they were actually invented

Everyone in the Jungle Movie uses smart phones, yet everyone also still uses VHS tapes to store visual media. What kind of fucked up world is this?

Is this a JimJim's Insane Escapade reference?

Exactly my point. Originally Watson was hurt fighting Afghan dogs in the 1890's, now he fought in Afghanistan!

My grandad was lucid up until the day he died at 92. He lived alone, walked his dog, played bridge, and everything. Only reason he didn't make it to a hundred is that he used to smoke (even though he hadn't touched his pipe in 50 years).

It's interesting how healthy you stay when you get off your ass once in awhile and eat more than just garbage.

Pretty sure that's "type of transistors"

where's the gif of him punching hilter in the face?

You'd be surprised what you can invent in cave with a box of scraps.

Well they were just between 5th and 6th grade in the Jungle Movie, so everyone was actually almost 2 years older.

Why the fuck would you assume it takes place in 2017? The movie is new but the show is old as hell and the kids aren't much older.

Assuming Arnold and Gerald are approximately 80 years old as depicted in the dream sequence during the episode "Part Time Friends", and assuming the boys are 10 years old as of the episode's airing (1998), that would make Arnold's decrepit grandpa a disturbing 142 years old.

youtube.com/watch?v=DRGogGbYaLU

>Frowny face armband
That's hysterical

Wasn't Rhonda the only one that really had a smartphone?

Given that she's a richbitch she probably had access to the earliest models, but that's kind of a stretch.

Yeah I think their reasoning was something to the effect of "she's rich, of course she'd have something like that."

It wasn't everyone, I don't recall where I heard it, but I think one of the people behind the movie said that the setting was basically "the 90s, but rich people have smartphones".

Jim Gordon would be proud.

I don't get it
You can not only show Hitler but also address him by name, yet you can't show a swastika? Seems like Hitler is above a swastika in the hierarchy of what can be shown in a children's show

She was the only kid with one, but pedestrians in the park also had them.

Maybe they censored it because they had plans to air it on German television. They have funny laws about that sort of thing.

Pretty sure they don't address him by name, but, moreover, Hitler isn't really above the Swastika with any historical context. The symbol obviously didn't do any evil, but it serves as a brand logo, like Pepsi's little swoop or Nike's... also swoop. The advertisement was for genocide. If there's any proof that the power of the Swastika outweighs Hitler's, it's that Hitler is dead and people still wear Swastikas.

Unless you're just some redpiller who wants to start on about how we should give fascism a chance.

No, when telling his story Phil says something to the effect of "There he was, the Fuhrer himself, Adolf Hitler!"

I don't think the Jungle Movie takes place in 2017. Cell phones were treated as a new thing and Bob was making a living selling beepers just a year before.

Heh, that's ridiculous.

Still, a lot of networks recognize that the Swastika serves as a global symbol of hate.

My gramps was pretty active at 91 the 3 months before he passed. He was taking the bus alone to DTLA, skinning/cooking game meat, messing around with his brothers' old trinkets and weapons, and even when he was bed ridden he put up a fight because he wanted to die at home instead of the hospital.

Symbolically, the swastika has the capabilities of overcoming Solomon's seal because it follows the Left Hand Path of solar asceticism and was used to create a powerhouse of a spiritual revolution to overcome the sex-fueled Kabbalist rites that were attempting to destroy Europe by crawling up the Rhine.

every civ has been at war in Afghanistan since the beginning of time its a pretty solid choice if you want somewhere everyone would recognize we went to war against them

He's about as active as my 97-year-old grandmother. Some people are more awesome than others. Do you want to be awesome, user?

But People enlisted underage.

Wait, wasn't there an episode about how all the men in his family die at a certain age? At the end it was revealed he did the math wrong, but... How close are we now?

OP you are a dumbass, for real. For many reasons many people have stated since the movie came out, TJM takes place early or mid 2000s (Rhondas phone notwithstanding). That being said, you gotta allow for *some* sliding timescale. Technically Phil would have been born in 1915 if the show started in 1996. This episode was around 98/99 IIRC. So it fits fine if you are in the late 90s era.

As for his activeness, well, maybe he got lucky. There can be people in their 90s who still walk and talk like they are 60.

Only Rhonda you twit. VHS was used to keep the feel of the show's tech back when people still used VHS. And fuck sakes, even Regular Show used VHS and that came out in 2010. You are hardcore autistic, and this is coming from an user who is also picky about "years".

He was off by ten years. If we kept things going based on real time, he should be dead.

In-show however, he's got another 8 years or so. So that would mean he'll kick the bucket shortly after Arnold would start college.

If Phil was born in 1915 and died 91, he would have died in 2006.

This would never air today.

Shouldn't have had the raspberries.

Smartphones, as we know them, could have easily come into existence during the 90s if anyone in Japan had thought of it. They had the technology over there, but kept trying to cram it into standard clamshell phones.

>Hey Shortman, did I ever tell you 'bout how I killed fid'dy men?

Shit. The movie's out. Is it any good?

The Shortman family curse is 91. Assuming the Jungle Movie only takes place two years at most after the series, Phil still has a good eight or nine years left in-universe.

It's pretty good for what it's worth. They haven't lost their touch, the movie provides a ton of closure, and overall it's just nice. Now granted it's not a triumph in movemaking and it has plenty of flaws, but if you go in just wanting to watch Hey Arnold and see stuff answered like what happened to his parents, you're in for a good time.

>that episode where Arnold goes off to college and returns to an empty boarding house where both his grandparents have died in each others' arms and the episode ends with him silently embracing Helga on his granddad's old stoop in the rain as a sad yet perky trumpet song plays

Many joined even at 15 and 16.

>OwO
You better be a girl, or fuck off, fag.

Helga was 9 when her father had a succesful beeper store, considering that pagers pretty much died in 2000 Helga should be at least 27 years old

November it is probably a refrence to the band Steely Dan that named them selves after a strap on dildo from William s Burroughs ' story Naked Lunch

My gramps stood on the other side and he is doing fine.

Yep. You cannot have swastikas outside of art or educational material.
But film is recognised as an art form alright, so in context this would be awright with Germany.
Only people really running into problems are game devs because games aren't legally recognised as an art form because they have terribly fluid borders that could invite abuse.
But for some reason game publishers seem to think there was some kind of anti-history law and keep cutting out Hitler.
And then they whine over censorship after cutting up their own game pre-emptively.

fpbp

...nuoh my god.

I really enjoyed it. The best part is all the fan service before they get to South America. The South American stuff is good too, but tonally its really strange for a show that's mostly pretty down to earth and realistic to suddenly have magic / ancient alien technology and casual life-threatening violence.

Why didnt John Jacob Astor just fly off the Titanic in a helicopter?

>twenty years has passed since pic related
I'll burn nickelodeon studios and kill Craig if he dare to make a season 6 and ruin the movie's ending.
I'd be fine with The Patakis spin off

My grandpa is 90 and he's still a pretty active, lucid guy. Can't hear shit, but he still walks his dog 3 miles every day.

granpa passed away 2 years ago at 93, but holy shit, the mad man could still jogg and was lucid enough to buy himself a smartphone and learn how to fucking use it just to download and listen classical music.
We found him dead one morning and the doctors said it was caused by a pulmonary embolism and even if we were present, there ws nothing we could do to avoid his death.

A great man, a good husband, a simple guy from the old school who left us a legacy of hard work and honesty.

I think Grandpa looks like he's in his early 90s, especially since he's always looked like the specter of death.

is he planning another season? what for?
Nick is still doing it fine with spongebob reruns and I don't see they are in some kind of crisis like cartoon network.

What it originally was is irrelevant, it's what is known for and is still used for to this very day that matters.

What for? Because people want it.

But what else could they add to the show?
Look at what happened to Samurai Jack, people wanted more and got that shitty ending.

My great grandma was 100 years old 1904-2004 and never had any issues with her mind. But yeah there were physical limitations. Arnold's Gramps doesn't even use a cane.

And yet, oddly enough, flip-phones (and other old tech) are still used in Japan today.

kek.

Damnit, Freehaven!

he hit the lottery when it came to good genes

>Implying The Patakis doesn't shit on the Jungle Movie's ending either.
I want Craig and the fans to stop asking for S6 and move on. Hopefully Nick doesn't give a shit what they say

It was also Afghanistan dingus

I don't know, I feel like there is a lot of potential going forward, especially in a Patakis spinoff. You have a whole breadth of situations that can come out of the cast being in the middle of their adolescence first off. And then while it would be an emotional slap in the face, having Helga and Arnold separate for a time would allow for some great character development for her so she can grow out of the toxic environment she's lived in.

Prolly because of that smartphone Olga took a selfie with

>rewatch Sally's Comet
>near the end
>Gandpa says "I won't be, because I'll be... you know"
sadface.png

I'm watching the movie now. Half the voices sound weird.

No he didnt, user. It was Gobbels

Jack shouldnt have gotten the new season, it was a huge letdown and realistically Jack should never beat Aku if Aku's power could stay consistent when he fights Jack it'd be instant death

Yeah takes a little getting used to. Most of the boys in the cast had to obviously change, and then a lot of the others are just older now so their voices are going to be a bit different than when they were kids.

I want to do inappropriate things to Olga.

Unless you're a dark skinned hunk, I don't think there's much chance of that.

It's actually pretty easy to realize when you pay attention than a lot of the Hey Arnold crew was from early Simpsons

Also fun fact Rich Moore animated this I&S cartoon by himself

Half of them are the originals, the other half are replacements. For instance, here's your new Gerald, Benjamin "Lil P-Nut" Flores.

I don't like everyone being mad at Arnold.

My Tivo cut off at the every end! What happens after Arnold says goodbye to his parents at the school?

>The minimum age of military enlistment at the time was 17
Nah that's just the age that the army had to tell people to put on their forms.