This movie is fucking amazing, holy shit

This movie is fucking amazing, holy shit.

This movie fucking bombed, no shit

i liked. the 2 sisters 2spooky4me.

It was DreamWorks wasn't it? It was really dark for an animated movie.

It was Laika.
DreamWorks don't do stop-motion.

the sisters were hot, the twist was ok, the songs were good

It needed a less androgynous protagonist to be more marketable. People don't like the androgynous.

The beetle made the movie better to be honest

Patrician taste.

I started tearing up at the first scene when the mother gets brain damage...glad it had the lighter parts cause it was a heavy movie.

It's one of my top 5 movies

what the fuck are you talking about

he wasnt androgynous in the least and i dont think being androgynous makes a character less marketable

even if it does Laika doesnt give a fuck about marketability and thats why its the best film studio out there right now

cant wait to see what they do next

the animation is amazing, but the story was too fast and simple for me to be engaged, it didn't feel like a big adventure, it felt really short and a bit cliche, but the scene where the dad dies did get me surprised, i was expecting them to get revived or something, but nope, dead

Why is Laika the only truly competent animation studio today?

>I'll never be like him. Never.

Fuck this shit gave me goosebumps

The only thing they're competent in is visuals

Says you. I found their movies more engaging then stuff like Frozen or Big Hero 6.

yes, but to be commercially successful the level of engagement has to be Disney-level, which basically means having an embellished but shallow story

The Sisters were the best part of the movie
I remember not liking the monkey and beetle that much though. They just seemed like generic tagalongs to me, but I appreciate they had the balls to flat out kill them both.

When I first watched it with my wife, I felt the most empathy for Kubo and basically watched the story through his eyes, which makes sense because he's the main protagonist. Pretty standard stuff. But when my wife and I watched it again on Netflix a few months back now that she's pregnant, and knowing the twists, without even realizing it I found myself watching the movie from the viewpoint of Monkey and Beetle instead. Just weird how being in a different place in life can totally change how a story hits you.

i thought he was a girl at first.

Good taste

The plot twist about the monkey and the beetle being the character's parents was stupid. Having the monkey and the beetle be surrogates for Kubo's parents is fine, having them literally be his parents was just plain dumb. Killing them off after the reveal made the reveal lose its impact. Moon-god grandpa suddenly turning good for no reason was also stupid. The plot importance about the weapons of Kubo's father being unimportant and him resorting to his two strings without explanation looses the impact of the entire adventure.

Basically the plot undermines the visuals and the character revelations undermine the character interactions. A movie with so much flaire as Kubo should make you feel excited. But because so much of the impact of the good parts were undermined, after watching the film, I just felt tired.

Stop motion doesn't equal good. All the movie has going for it is the visuals. Everything else is just bland and medicore

It's definitely a treat. Some scenes work so unbelievably well that I can safely say I've never experienced anything similar with other form of media.
It's definitely flawed but nevertheless a wonderful experience.

Not gonna lie; even after all the trailers it wasn't until the first twenty minutes that I realized that Kubo was a boy.

>I felt the most empathy for Kubo and basically watched the story through his eyes
>eyes
I find that hard to believe

yeah, it's nice that the ending wasn't generic. otherwise, i wouldn't have appreciated the movie as much.

>The Sisters were the best part of the movie
Roonroon a best

Ah, good old death flags

FUCKKK OFFFF