Is adding "-man" or "-woman" after your superpower or theme lazy?

Is adding "-man" or "-woman" after your superpower or theme lazy?

It's honestly less lazy than picking a pre-existing word and using that, like calling yourself "Claw" or "Laser" or whatever, that shit the X-Men like to do.

Absolutely.

Didn't know Shadowcats existed. Where can I get one?

yes

Wait. Does this take place before or after the Spider-Man crossover?

Whats a creative superhero name then?

Going by the Invincible issue that panel appeared in, it's supposed to take place after the Spider-Man crossover.

Also, there's a Tick/Invincible crossover that takes place long, long after this, too.

I'd say no, considering how many of those names were made like 70 years ago and these characters were the first few super heroes ever made.

Invincible, apparently.

There's always exceptions, but she was called Sprite at one point.

Predates the capes.

Doesn't have a stupid name like "Jungleman".

Because he's not a superhero?

Of course he is. He just doesn't have powers.

He’s a pulp hero. That’s different.

Says you.

In 2017.

yeah

duh

i mean, now its kinda hard to make that a compelling character because all the slots have pretty much been filled and anything else would just be lame and seen as copying.

isn't this comic dead yet?
like 2 issues left?
when is mark going to die?

God Tier
>Clever play on words fitting the character
High Tier
>Uncommon but Thematically fitting word
Okay Tier
>Rank & Theme
>Color & Theme
>Theme-man
Low Tier
>Predictable thematically fitting word
You Literally didn't try tier
>Just a name
Somehow worse than if you literally didn't try tier
>Thematically unfitting word meant to sound edgy

I would like to see some examples of God, High and Didn't Try tier

>God Tier
Nigga-Watt

He was on a team with a guy who's name was fucking Robot. He's in no place to argue naming conventions.

Ignoring JLA/Avengers this is the only character that has, in canon, crossed over into the marvel universe from another company.

Evil dead? I doubt invincible actually went to 616 if we really got down to it.

And he paid dearly for that.

He was in Kirkmans Marvel Team Up issues nothing in them shows that they did not take place in the marvel universe; Crusader and the freedom ring show up in attack of the skrulls.

That’s legitimately funny but what about a serious example? Are there any real heroes with as much thought and creativity put into them?

>I am super strong and cant be beaten, I shall call myself Invinsible
WOOOOOOWW

Venture Bros is full of God Tier
Phantom Limb, Intangible Fancy, Wide Wale
Also Atom Eve and Shrinking Violet
I'll admit I'm just really cheap and puns and word play always get me

Not a hero (or from a comic) but the Underminer from The Incredibles is a pretty good example.

Phantom Limb

Pretty much any random side character from Venture Bros.

Justice League had an obvious Apache Chief expy named "Long Shadow". He was a Native American with the ability to grow.

>Didn't Try tier
Danny Phantom.

>making fun of names that have been around for several decades
>one of the main antagonists is named robot

It's like throwing rocks out of a glass house at low hanging fruit.

so is that kirkman being a faggot, or doing a brilliant characterization of a typical young adult criticizing something without having a leg to stand on
i have no idea wtf is the point here, batman names himself after his dress, invincible dresses himself after his name

also:
PUNISHER is up there as a good one i think
maybe it's just a job description but pretty catchy
it dodges the typical naming conventions
not an object/animal (with or without an adjective)
not a noun/adjective-man
not a military rank-noun

on a side note, i seem to recall some character criticizing wildstorm characters for their names, with grifter being one of the mentioned i think
must have been some crossover but which?
hmm was it captain atom- armageddon?

It's pretty lazy, but most examples are decades old so they're not changing now. Almost no one tries to get away with new heroes today.

Its played out today. "The Bat-Man" didn't sound overdone in 1939.

Names are just another form of fashion, the trends change over time. They're likely somewhat cyclical too, so what was once hip will become lame back to hip again.

Sprite and Ariel as counter-examples. The point this guy was making is, is Super-Man really so much worse than:

controls weather - storm
yells loud - banshee
has wings - angel

Its also worth pointing out that the X-Men used a "-man" name in the 1960s with "Iceman".

Personally, I'll vote with a third option for lazy naming, the -o names:

Amazo
Magneto
Krypto
Electro
Bizarro
Mysterio
Sinestro
Mentallo

I don't really see what's so bad about it and Mark just came off as kind of a joyless dick ragging on everything to me when i read some of those crossovers. The tick crossover mostly made up for that.

Conan is part of marvel canon.
Godzilla is part of marvel canon and beat galactus.
MJ is a descendant of Red Sonja.
The list could probably go on for days.

Superhero names seem a bit different in Kirkmanland than marvel/DC as well
With Kirkman they're brand names.
In Marvel/DC they're codenames for easy reference or descriptors.
Superman is a literal ubermensch
Batman is the crazy dude dressed like a bat and any other codename would be too long.
If you're a new hero that has to deal with these group or a sudden teamup you can always figure out which one is which very easily in a hectic siuation.
There are exceptions to this but they are job titles/descriptions (Wonder woman, Captain America, green Lantern, Martian Manhunter), Brand names (Booster gold) , their actual names, or people that showed up after all the good names were gone.

So, instead of Batman, what could it be? Night glider? The brooder?

Shogun Warriors - after their series ended, a Marvel U citizen found the three robots and cannibalized them to make a fourth robot, fought the fantastic four.

Also, one of the shogun warrior pilots was on the Avengers support staff payroll back during Gruenwald's Cap run.

Doctor Demonicus is a weird one, a villain who appeared in both Godzilla and Shogun Warriors who went on to continue pestering the Marvel proper (mostly, Iron Man and the Avengers).

There were some leftovers from the Transformers series into the Marvel U too, wasn't there? I seem to recall a character named Circuit Breaker that showed up in the old Secret Wars 2 book that came from the Transformers series. Probably more refugees than I recall.

except like many older superheroes
he didn't come up with the name
newspapers and the criminals he caught did.

so yeah it's kinda lazy because it was regular people who started calling him that. in all honesty Bruce probably didn't care what he was called

So the point of these scenes is that Invincible is being kind of a hypocrite, right? Since he's just called "invincible" and that's one of his powers, which is what he's lampshading

Yes, unless it's Womanman, then it's beautiful and brave.