JLA Thread

Ok, so question, what is Sup Forums's problem with Cyborg? I don't get it, iv'e seen over 300 threads of people calling Cyborg a "Diversity quota" when he's one of me and my towns favorite characters as a child, what gives?!

Are "we" all just being contrarian, or is there truly something wrong with CYBORG??

Muh Martian Manhunter
Muh Titans
Also Johns didn’t do shit with him, he didn’t get a solo at the start of the New 52 like every other JL member, and it was blatantly obvious he was there to be a token.

The character is boring and as always been boring. Yes, he was boring when he was on Teen Titans. Putting him back there will not fix him.
A solo is a good place to start but they keep giving him writers who aren't good. I know people hate Bendis but I think he could do okay on the character. He's young, barely has any continuity besides his origin, is a street level character, and black.

He's the biggest pile of wasted potential in the world right now.

In fact the fact DC hasn't gotten a writer who is good with tech culture to write a Cyborg: Year One that jumps on the Mr Robot train is unbelievable to me

his Rebirth ongoing was actually really good but no one read it

He was a supporting character just blatantly uplifted to founding League status while simultaneously erasing all of his Titan history. Furthermore, he's a walking dues ex machina thanks to his Mother Box upgrade.

Although I will say this, there is good potential in Cyborg becoming a hero trainer/coach, and acting as a mentor for young heroes who can enter the League

Also Bendis can be pretty creative when he wants to be. which quite frankly, Cyborg needs creativity just as much as he needs a good writer. He pretty much just has "am I more man or machine".

Bendis would honestly be perfect if he knew anything about technology. But I’d still be interested in seeing what he’d do.
No one even bothered storytiming it after a while which sucks. Nobody storytimed the last Green Arrow issue either.

he's perfect on teen titans
WB/DC fucked up by pushing him to the status of founding member of the league

i might get around to it. the first like 18 issues are all one mega story which probably hurt storytiming

>Nobody storytimed the last Green Arrow issue either
Huh.
I'll correct that

>Although I will say this, there is good potential in Cyborg becoming a hero trainer/coach, and acting as a mentor for young heroes
Cyborg wasn't good in Johns' Teen Titans.

Visually ugly costume while also managing to be bland.

Generically boring powerset.

Nobody in comics have ever done a damn thing with the character. He was a placeholder in NTT, he was a token in JL.

I think the worst thing about his handling in recent time was his being used as Batman's portable batcomputer in JL, and/or the team's moe of transport. Just an awful, awful use of the already forgettable character.

He sucks dick.

If they wanted a black JL member they should have chose Mr. Terrific (yes I know "muh JSA" "b-but he's a legacy hero", fuck off) or Vixen if Black Lightning wasn't going to happen because of rights bullshit.

>The character is boring and as always been boring. Yes, he was boring when he was on Teen Titans.

What? WHAT?! HOW IS HE BORING???
He's childish but, the right type childish, has a pretty self inserty origin story, the best supporting character in DC, literally, even as a solo character he could be interesting as long as they go off his comic relief side most of the time. AND, has by god the most Badass designs for a character iv'e seen.
Please tell me how this character is boring?

>erasing all of his Titan history

So you're telling me DC burned all of his Teen Titans books from the 70's? What do people mean by this? i don't understand!

>this whole post
dear god i hate this place, its like good characters aren't actually good.

>Visually ugly costume while also managing to be bland.
Who is your favorite character user?
>Generically boring powerset
What the hell is he supposed to have? if you gave him any more might as well call him "Black Tony Stark".
>Nobody in comics have ever done a damn thing with the character.
Geoff Johns, George Perez ect.
>he was a token in JL
A token character is a character that could literally be replaced and or have not been in the movie/show/comic.
Cyborg has been apart of JL since the late 90's and find him to be crucial part of the team.
how is he token?

He is redundant in the JLA. Batman was tech support and still took up that role a lot of the time. It doesn't help that all the talking Vic does about being connected to the internet just shows how the writers don't know technology and are pulling shit out of their asses. At least with MMH, you had someone who can do psychic adventures even if it was mostly just him going "YAAAARGH!" Meanwhile, the Titans are deprived of their tech guy.

Dunno about favorite character, never really felt the need to make lists. I have been a big Iron Man fan since the late-70s. Really like Spidey's black costume, design-wise.

I did like that the JL relaunch tied Cyborg in to Mother Box tech. Too bad they never did much with that, or even worse reduced him into the JL taxi service. His NTT days were, powerset-wise, as spicy as a glass of 2% milk.

Glad you liked some of his experiences but nothing ever struck me as memorable.

Personally I wished Jon Stewart GL, Vixen, Firestorm, and/or Steel (it doesn't need to be limited to one, thats the very definition of tokenism) would have been retconned into core JLers. They're all more interesting characters and would feel like they belong IMO, when Cyborg is shoehorned into the team it feels like forced diversity.

Vic in current canon wasn't part of the Titans

>I have been a big Iron Man fan since the late-70s

Wait wait wait, hold up, you're telling me you liked trap Iron man better than cyborg. I agree Iron man was awesome but, his suit designs and like a few of his issues didn't catch me. you good man

>Jon Stewart GL, Vixen, Firestorm, and/or Steel

Sup Forums always rants about how these guys should be the new """""""Token diversity Quota""""""" character but, none of them have caught me as more respecting character than Cyborg. none of them. and including, none of them have the popularity like Cyborg.

>when Cyborg is shoehorned into the team it feels like forced diversity

If you feel he's shoehorned there really nothing i can say except you should read his New 52 run. its pretty grand man

>>>>>Vic in current canon wasn't part of the Titans

What??! Source?

Why the dishonesty?

There is just nothing notable or amazing about the guy at all. Plus there are plenty of other much more interesting black guys to add to the team

I don't know jack shit about Cyborg and I've known about him for ages.

Does he have an interesting rogues Gallery? Does he even have a rogues gallery?

Hey there Sup Forumsfag, you might not know this since you clearly do not read comics but ranging back to the 70's, Cyborg was never childish. He was the melancholic brooding "I'm not a human anymore" weirdo who tends to be a knowitall dick at times. He was the smart guy of the team that only gets into trouble when they need to show off how scary a villain is by ripping his legs off or something weird.

Johns introduced Grid and his Rebirth solo had a couple interesting villains

His origin is tied to the Justice League's now. Where would he have had the time?

New 52. He went from college football star, to Cyborg/founding JL member during a Darkseid invasion. His accident is no longer a car crash, he was fixed with a Mother Box, and never joined the Titans

No, it just wasn’t “bad”. It was mediocre at best and inoffensive

Could be wrong but it seems like Metal might be leading to a retcon with Cyborg saying they work well as a team

>Finally do something good with Vic giving him a friendship with Billy
>Rebirth Billy out of existance

I just don't get why they don't split the difference and have Cyborg help found the League, promptly shuffle to the Titans when they're founded in-universe, then head back to the League when the Titans disband the first time and he happens to stay in the League.