Has a story ever mentioned Harley being an actual doctor? Sure ah might have blown her way to an A here or there...

Has a story ever mentioned Harley being an actual doctor? Sure ah might have blown her way to an A here or there, but she was still smart enough to make it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoxetine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylphenidate
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diazepam
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

She was able to preform surgery on dick-chimp so I guess that makes her a real doctor. Apparently

two examples i might be mis-remembering
>batman TAS: she tries to go straight and fails
>injustice: she captures lobo and gives him a psychiatry session of sorts

Writers today don't care about what made Harley interesting in the first place. They'd rather have the meme clown whore

>Has a story ever mentioned Harley being an actual doctor?
Many of them, yes.

Though depending on the source she either is a genius, slept her way through her degree, or blackmailed her way in.

>writers think Harley is crazy instead of just being a dissolusioned white girl looking for a cause bigger than making money

I want to see her snap at someone talking down to her and make them call her Doctor Harley. Just once put Ivy in her place.

>but she was still smart enough to make it.
she slept her way there

>Dr Quinn
Its Quinnzel, not that medicine woman shit
She is crazy, except these days its watered down LOLRANDOM shit. She used to be delusional about a "love" that she fabricated in her head which in turn made her justify her horrible actions

You can’t fuck your way through an entire PhD program.

>psychologist
>actual doctor

Their entire field of study is based on the ramblings of an old pervert who wanted to fuck his mom. It's not actual science or medicine.

What made her "interesting" in the first place WAS that she was a meme clown whore you hipster dumbass

What was her character in TAS? She was an airhead who made jokes, she loved Joker, and she made sexy poses from time to time.

She had absolutely no character other than that until Mad Love was written.

You do realize Mad Love was an episode before an actual comic, right?

My point still stands.

Wrong. It was a comic first.

According to Dini's original Mad Love story, she managed to pull it off and then some.

Harley's original plan was to be the kind of psychologist who feeds bullshit to her patients just to make them feel good, puts it all into books and TV shows, and reaps the royalties. She picked Arkham Asylum for her internship because she knew making a tell-all book about a high-profile patient like one of theirs would give her a lot of reputation. She just didn't think Joker would be so charming, and the rest is history.

She uses her psychology credentials pretty effectively in the climax of Gotham City Sirens, managing to distract Poison Ivy by playing off of her obvious unrequited crush for her long enough to incapacitate her.

My mistake, it was written first in 1994 and the episode was 1999. Thank you for correcting me

Doesn't Ivy have a doctorate herself?

So Earth-3 Harley Quinn is a Clown College graduate that moonlights as a psychiatrist?

Yes, all the time. She's run a practice in her latest series.
This has happened as well.

There’s actual science to psychology, but a lot of it is conjecture. Take ever study with a mountain of salt unless it can be repeated or had over 10,000 sample size of diverse individuals in both belief and genetics unless it’s something about black women or white guys specifically.

Carl Jung did a lot of interesting things and Freud’s psychoanalytic approach did a lot for therapy. Behaviorist’s did cool stuff that actually is seeable. The field has a heavy political bend to it because it has some power without a lot of work.

Depending on the origin story, maybe. Gaiman wrote her "secret origin" issue and tied her to the rest of the DC botanists (Holland, whoever made Black Orchid, and Woodrue), but sometimes she gets poisoned before actually finishing her university. I assume at some point she might have finished her education.

I think that's the first time I've ever seen someone grateful to be corrected on this godforsaken website.

oddly enough, the three don't necesarily contradict eachother,

>Psychologist
>Doctor
Kek

Study case by Paul Dini in Batman Black and White, there she was a genius that understood the real nature of Joker thought everything finished as a tragedy.

>>psychologist
She's a psychiatrist. They have to study both psychology (more or less a soft science) and psychiatry, which includes a lot of chemical sciences and neurosciences.

Psychologists can't prescribe drugs.
Psychiatrists can. (there is a movement among the APA to let the psychologists do it but that would be a bad move).

In the BTAS episode that went into her origin, I expected her to start using her nonsqueaky normal voice again when Batman told her the Joker told her a bunch of bullshit, and to date that's not happened, even when she's rehabilitated she keeps using that squeaky voice.

Contrary to popular belief, Harleen Quinzel is actually has a higher than average intelligence. There are stories out there that put her in scenarios that reflect her intellect coupled with her acrobatic skills makes her a powerful ally.

According to Dini, she gets that from her home. They're basically white trash, and her dad is a non-evil Joker. He's still a criminal and conman and shitbird of a dad but he's not poisoning entire towns.

He called her puddin.

The stars truly aligned when Harley and Joker met.

So what you're saying is her "normal voice" from before the Joker was in fact not her real voice?

Eh...

I prefer the initial Nu52 Harley origin regarding her dad/family. Harley was a poor working class girl in Gotham who's father was murdered by a speeding car driven by a rich asshole who had enough money and power to avoid being arrested for murdering Harley's dad. And that te thing that hooked Harley to Joker wasn't him lying about his past for sympathy, but him killing the man who murdered her father and presenting Harley with his severed hand (complete with gawdy trademark ring) as proof that he killed her.

Her normal voice is weird.
But as a professional, she tones things down and acts professionally.

It's part of Joker's sell. Why not be yourself?

She probably just put it on as a doctor to seem more professional

In Rebirth but usually it isn't like that though Morrison technically made it canon in one issue in preN52

Well now it is canon so we don't have to worry about it anymore. Besides Harley as a character just works when she is smart.

Actually liked this issue a lot for this scene

actually he doesn't call her puddin but little girl and things like that. Dini made her accent real, her real way of speaking that was fake in Mad Love like the tone of her voice.

Her real voice is the more formal sound she was using in "the man who killed Batman". Really nice sound, Sorkin had a great voice, clear and soft.

same fag here, I forgot to explain originally her voice was a fake like her accent but in Sirens that is canon for comics preN52 Harley doesn't have 2 voices and Dini made her accent something is natural.

>that one page of harley banging the professor to get an A on a test
>in noncanon story based on the animated series
>time and time again harley has used her psychiatric skills to figure people out
>flashbacks of her studying people at arkham
>NAHHHH SHE SLEPT HER WAY THROUGH COLLEGE

It was a good story but it needed more development and better writing, I don't know why DC didn't use the chance.

What issue is this?

The superior Batman cartoon had her be a talk show psychologist.

Much more fitting, not to mention interesting.

Suicide Squad #7

What if she actually knows Psychology but only in the capacity of how to seduce and manipulate people, rather than actual how to heal people.

It can be difficult to be taken seriously if you've got a non-U accent. I found myself becoming much more hireable after I made an effort to drop my native Ozark twang.

That was '66 Harley. She was actually Holly Quinn. She had a whole different reason for going insane and everything.

Isn't the canon story of how she got her degree about her blackmailing her professor?

FUCK YOU

Now that's more like it, shithead.

med student here, it's incredibly difficult to sleep your way through med school

even if you do somehow manage to sleep your way through the first 2 years, you have the standardized national exam which basically determines 90% of what specialties are going to be available to you. Can't sleep with a computer

If you somehow manage to miraculously do well on that, you then have 2 years of clinical rotations where you're working with real doctors, many of whom will be female

it's impossible. If you graduate a med school in the US, you've deserved it

also, psychiatrists are real doctors. They need to learn about neuroscience and brain chemistry along with all the basic medicine every med student needs to learn. Psychologists are those "you want to bang your mother" people, but even then psychologists have strayed away from Freud into more researched territory

>also, psychiatrists are real doctors

I understand they study chemistry but the meds they prescribe are strange nowadays, they have proved some of them turn you into a psychopath attacking proteins needed by the brain still they prescribe it cause the manufacturer recommends it. I don't know if they can cure something at this point or are just playing around with people. Sincerely I don't know anymore if somebody understand enough of the brain and its chemistry to cure something or they have just discovered how to disturb it several ways.

>they have proved some of them turn you into a psychopath attacking proteins
gonna need a source on that, and not some shitty news outlet article that condenses years of medical research into an attention-grabbing headline

psych meds do work, that's why people take it. But everybody reacts differently to medicine - what works for one person may not work for someone else. The good thing is, if it's not working, or if you feel adverse effects, you can simply stop taking it

I don't have the articles just now but I think there have been several scandals with meds like

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoxetine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylphenidate
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diazepam

Samefag here when my friend's dad died they gave him Valium, in just 10 days he had a really big depression cause he tried to stop taking it.

no medication is without adverse effects. This isn't restricted to psych meds - even OTC like aspirin can cause life-threatening adverse effects. The ultimate question every doctor and patient needs to ask himself is: Are the benefits of this drug worth the side effects? The doctor should be well-versed in the drug to prescribe it, but there are always going to be things that fall through the cracks - it's even got a name, the swiss cheese model of drug interaction.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoxetine

This one really have a system to attack a chemicals needed by the brain, one was recently discovered, in fact they found this chemical when they made Prosac. Prosac had a little trick hidden.

Since you're in a best position to reseach about it you should do so, I'm really curious about what you find but the fact is that the chemical in the brain exists and Prosac inhibits its production, people go crazy at some degree.

Besides some meds inhibits the production of dopamine or in other words joy is inhibited by them.

I don't want to attack you or something but you really should research about it. I'm just a normal person doesn't know the right terms but many, many meds have a reputation now.

*has

why the fuck would I do research? Thousands of people have already poured hundreds of thousands of hours into Prozac research.

You seem oddly insistent about this one vague point you are making. What chemical is inhibited by Prozac? Saying "chemical" is meaningless.

>What chemical is inhibited by Prozac? Saying "chemical" is meaningless

I told you I'm not a doctor but you can get the right answer if you look for it since you're a doctor, I'd like to be one too but honestly Prosac is practically poison.

so you're admitting to basically blowing smoke out of your ass. What is your basis for Prozac's terrible "chemical" inhibition? If you can't even name the chemical it's supposedly destroying - an essential chemical for brain function, from your own words - how the fuck do you even know?

>so you're admitting to basically blowing smoke out of your ass

You're really an idiot. I listened the explanations almost 3 hrs but I couldn't catch all of it. Still let's be practical you can observe it in people who took Prosac or Valium or several other stuff. I don't know how you can be a doctor if you hate to look for information so much and accept everything just like that. I'm an engineer but I could say you're a student, just a student who doesn't know enough about medicine or life. Defending what you think is the most uninterested profession cause meds are free for everybody

my headcanon is that Harley is a genuis.
she did the work and knows the knowledge, but slept with professors/staff to accelerate the process; spending less time in school

You know what they call the girl who graduates at the bottom of her med school class?

It just ocurred in Mad Love and was never used again, Dini even changed for the canon preN52. Not even the animation of Mad Love kept it for obvious reasons

I don't know how you can be an engineer if you hate science so much

The human mind is an organ and a mechanism that can be studied and understood like any other.

>They'd rather have the meme whore
ftfy

People forget that in order to go to med school in the US you need a bachelors degree first. Harley could have slept her way through the bachelors then put the work in at med school

Maybe you can't

Anyone with a doctorate is a doctor.

>Besides some meds inhibits the production of dopamine or in other words joy is inhibited by them.
That's antipsychotics which are used to treat positive symptoms of scizophrenia and some weird behaviour patterns like being proun to suicide. Dopamine, in general, makes your brain do shit and motivates it to do it again next time and you don't always want that.

*just passing by*

I don't know what the science is doing there, they might cure some diseases but the profession seems obscure today. We don't know exactly if they can do something aside from sedating people and prescribing doubtful meds.

Just saying but they give antipsychotics to people with depression

God that was so dumb

Her own series acknowledges that she is medical health professional of pretty hefty esteem, enough that her "2nd job" is worth overlooking to get her on the job.

Sure they do, it's to stop people from doing dumb shit like taking their lives.

>honestly Prosac is practically poison
>inhibits serotonin reuptake
>kinda affects GABA and some other stuff
>poison
I wonder what you'll say when you''ll learn what acetaminophen does to a person's liver.

>Their entire field of study is based on the ramblings of an old pervert who wanted to fuck his mom. It's not actual science or medicine.

>I have absolutely no clue wtf I'm talking about

Most people don't understand psychology at all, and don't apreciate how much shit they consider common knowledge were found out by Freud.

what do you prefer? madness or death? hard choice though the antipsychotics could get you madness and death since a suicide is already depressed for starters.

....why would a psychiatric be able to perform surgery?

It doesn't even make sense. Sleeping your way into a nice position or something sure but you don't sleep your way into and then through several years of medical school

>It doesn't even make sense.
Well, no. But you're underestimating the amount of autism and misogyny contained in your average Sup Forumsntrarian. "Normies" like Harley and therefor they are required by law to hate her. GIRLS like Harley and therefor ... well, it gets turned up to 11 or 12 and the knob broken off.

A few stories have.
Her recent ongoing comic had her be a job as a therapist. I don't recall her still being one since she also took a job in a gladiator roller derby.