With the Fox version of the X-Men film franchise possibly coming to an end...

With the Fox version of the X-Men film franchise possibly coming to an end, what would you say about the series as a whole?

Does it average out to be better than the MCU?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3m6FSkcZSIo
rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man_3/
rottentomatoes.com/m/avengers_age_of_ultron
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's was a perfect masterpiece. It had a few bumps here and there but overall was great. Never once got bored or tired watching them.

Infact the XMen movies like early SpiderMan have rewatch ability.

>Does it average out to be better than the MCU?

No.

Even the most generic MCU film isn't as bad as Last Stand or Origins or Apocalypse. And the first one really doesn't hold up now.

X2, Logan, DOFP are the holy trinity and First Class and The Wolverine are decent enough.

It's lows are lower but the highs are higher, which is perfectly indicative of the safe, middle of the road approach of the MCU.
The MCU will never yield an X3 or Wolverine Origins but it will never make a Logan or Days of Future Past either.

I can remember most everything about the X-Men films. I, however, can not say the same for most of the MCU.

It had more weak films than the great ones. So the average quality is lower than the MCU. Also for me these movies never felt like true Marvel comic adaptations. It was always some crasy alternate universe events. Like a Dark Knight trilogy.
Though I liked it on it's own.

It'll be sad if the X-Films just become "more Marvel movies" instead of having a unique identity

That being said

They weren't THAT good. Logan and Deadpool are pretty unquestionably the best movies to come out of the franchise.

And the way that they treated all the characters who weren't Wolverine/Xavier/Magneto/Mystique was pretty damn bad. If you only saw the movies, and then met someone who said their favorite X-Men character was say, Cyclops or Storm, you'd probably think they were fucking crazy.

Comparing them to the Nolan Batman is perfect.
Like the Nolan movies, the x-Men stuff always felt off in a way. Like, as an actual X-Men fan I could pick out teh easter eggs but the movies themselves were, from day fucking one, too far outside of what X-Men looked and felt like.
Even if the individual movie was good on it's own right, they were X-Men in name only.

Plus the fucked continuity just made the series feel cheap and sloppier than it really was.

As a whole, the FOX-Men ratio more bad than good. For most of them, they feel like the same exact movie with different details
>Bad shit happens
>Charles and Erik fight but still respect each other as friends
>Team is formed by the end
>Public opinion on mutants is neither better nor worse by the end
Etc. There comes a point where you're just sick of Logan hogging the spotlight, Charles and Erik arguing the same shit over and over, Mystique pandering, and the wave of characters that get overlooked.

This.

MCU movies are so forgettable, you see one you've seen them all.

I feel the exact opposite of X Men, oddly enough.

You do realize you wrote about the MCU and not the XMEN movies.

It's a pretty safe bet to say that Phase 4 big movie is going to be Avengers vs. X-Men right?

Listen namefag, Captain America never became Captain America in every goddamn film. Practically nothing progressed in FOX's X Men. MCU might have a tired out formula, but at least shit moved along

If Iron Man dies in Infinity War, who's going to be big enough of an asshole to lead the fight against the X-Men?

Movie Cap is such a softie he beat up a ton of cops just to keep Bucky out of jail

It's all over the fucking place. Some of the best superhero movies, some really average ones, some of the worst, some of the most forgettable, and at least one of my favorite so bad it's good movies in the form of X-men Origins. I don't know if averaged out it would be better than the MCU but I've always found them to be more interesting personally and the highs of the series, like Logan, X2, Legion, and even Deadpool were far better and more interesting than almost anything in the MCU. The lows were far, far lower though, and the series has never been accurate to comics aside from Deadpool, which I think goes to show how that can be both a good thing and a bad thing. I think right now I am a little disappointed it's gong back since they finally started making spinoffs and actually taking advantage of the huge universe they owned and they've so far all been good to great and I was really interested in some of those upcoming ones like X-23 and X-Force. Hopeful Marvel takes advantage of this quicker than Fox did.

>X-Men 1 - Great
>X-Men 2 - Superb
>X-Men 3 - Complete shit.
>X-Men Origins Wolverine - Complete shit.
>X-Men FC - Good
>The Wolverine - Good
>X-Men DOFP - Superb
>X-Men Apoc - Meh
>Deadpool - Great
>Logan - Superb

Actually Well Made Tier
>X2
>Logan

Good Tier
>DoFP
>Deadpool

>Eh Tier
>First Class (the Magneto stuff is great, the rest is bad to forgettable)
>The Wolverine
>X-men 1

Bad Tier
>Apocalypse
>Last Stand

Dogshit Tier
>Wolverine Origins

Threads like these are pointless because we all know retards will meme that these movies were masterpieces now that disney is likely getting the rights back. Frankly, i'm gonna be really happy to see the X-men finally move away from Singer's aesthetically hideous leather fetish and likely get characters other than Logan, Magneto and Xavier right.

Foxshilling is at an all time high. I take it the deal has been done.

X-men 1 is definitely not great. It was fine for its time, but that shit aged like milk. It's like a fanmade X-men movie nowadays.

It seems like people bump these films by 2 extra points, and act like they have this amazing depth. They're just shallow cape movies, with bad action and character usage.

mte.

probably just you since I can remember all their movies that I've seen pretty well. even... X3. *shudders*

the good films are great, the bad ones are really shitty

MCU on the other hand is all safe and mediocre, so in average I would say they're equal

I liked the first 3 (yes including 3), The Wolverine at the time at least, and Logan. The rest I don't care for.
If we count Deadpool yeah I liked it, but it scarcely feels associated.

X1-Decent but hasnt aged well, good start to the series
X2- great movie, great wrap up to Logans arc and perfect set up for the real X-men movie
X3- total piece of shit
Wolverine origins- didnt even bother seeing it in Theathers, ive seen enough in the leaks
First Class- aside from the good costumes it was a average movie
The Wolverine- mediocre at best, should have been the first R movie
DoFP- best in the series
Apocalypse- almost as shit as X3
Logan- good closure for Wolverine but nothing special really, ive seen him too much in the movies
all in all, the average sets it at ''okay''

>Phase 4
isnt it obvious?

Xmen 1 and The Wolverine are both not great or good at all. Both are pretty meh

I don't remember much about X-1 ,2 ,3.

I will never understand why Sup Forums thinks DofP was a good movie when it's barely average.
The beginning is strong with the fight in the futur and Wolverine back in the past but after that it's just so meh apart from Quicksilver's scene.

The end is so anticlimatic.

>The end is so anticlimatic.

The ending is perfect. It's a culmination of character choices, not a CGI laser beam or ogre to fight. The entire movie is focused around character and theme, the plot is intentionally irrelevant in order to let the more important stories take focus.

That's also why Logan worked, too.

You really need to watch more movie if you think any of those movies were great.

X-men 1, great? DofP, superb? Seriously?

It felt empty. What culmination?
When I say anticlimatic, I'm not talking about action. The whole movie goes haphazardly toward this scene and despite the whole stadium thing, the confrontation and the characters feel small.

>The whole movie goes haphazardly toward this scene and despite the whole stadium thing, the confrontation and the characters feel small.

It being small was the good part of it though, It came down to a set of very simple, small choices that had gigantic consequences. It reminded me of TDK's finale in the building with Two-Face.

I will grant you that Magneto's "later faggots" floating exit from that scene is pretty bad.

X3 isn't even as bad as I remember. It's not great, and it's got some glaringly horrible issues, BUT it's got some genuinely good parts.
Plus knowing how the series was able to continue on despite Charles being vaporized and Cyclops vanishing off screen dulls the impact of those shitty parts.

Apocalypse gets too much shit. It wasnt as to close to bad as Thor 2

This.

As a gambit fan.....I guess it could have been worse?

>as good as the best of the MCU, like avengers, civil war, homecoming, iron man
X2, days of future past, logan

>as good as B-roll movies like ant-man, dr strange
X1, first class

>as good as "lesser" MCU films, like incredible hulk and age of ultron
the wolverine

>as good as bad MCU films like thor 2, iron man 2
X3

>worse than any movie in the MCU
origins

Wolverine Origins is the best "so bad it's good" superhero movie ever made. 10% genius and 90% enjoyably retarded. I rate it above most MCU movies

Laura fan here, same.

I liked X-2 and parts of X-1. X-3 can die though.

Logan >>>>>> The Wolverine >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Origins

on average? yes. fuck mcu
I hate that the x-men will have to share the universe with shitvengers

Wolverine Origins still have saving graces, like Liev Schreiber and Reynolds.

>homecoming
>good
OH COME ON! you must be shitting me, it was as bad as origins

Kelsey grammer is Beast.

call me a casual, call me a normie, call me a shill but i do feel like homecoming was really good, and easily as good or better than X2

also, x-men apocalypse should be X3 tier

I will not call you that, I still have some shred of decency. However user, you leave me baffled, and will have a lot to think today.

I liked X3 The Last Stand just for the action, Wolverine Origins also had good action set pieces

Hit and miss, I really like X2 First Class and DoFP, and Logan and Deadpool are great too but all the other are bad movies, ofc you can save always something from that movies too, look at the opening of X-Men Origins: Wolverine
and even the kid scene that goes before that is great
youtube.com/watch?v=3m6FSkcZSIo

I feel like most of the movies don't have the same view of what the x-men are and should be, so I don't particularly enjoy them. They don't respect the A- and B tier characters and only give a shit for the S rank megastars, which is frustrating because the X-men have some of the deepest rosters of quality characters in comics.
Most of movies are fine, I just don't enjoy watching them because they keep missing the mark of what I expect from them. I'm kind of burned out on superhero movies, though. Haven't been to the theater in years, and only occasionally watch one if it's on TV.

Part of the fun of the first few movies was seeing name drops or characters in the background and getting excited about what they might do with them.
We had Jubilee teased for the ENTIRE series and nothing has really come of it.
Multiple Man in X3 was a waste. Cyclops hardly did fuck-all. THREE different beasts that never got fully utilized.
Two Storms. TWO fucking Storms.
the team never felt as much as a team as in the first movie and it was downhill each new installment.
First Class at least tried to broaden the horizons of the group and get away from the Logan wank the whole franchise was/is but it again bungled a lot of characters and made an absolute mess of the timeline.

All told, the Fox version ran its course. It gave us as good as it could give and an interesting but ultimately mismanaged version of the Mutants.
I'm ready for the X-Men to feel like X-Men. If that means letting Disney smooth them out from the chaotic highs and lows of Fox's run, then I'm game.

They're really the Wolverine movies... the X-men are mostly just there to help get Wolverine from fight to fight. Don't get me wrong, Hugh Jackman is a fine actor, but they could have occasionally shined the spotlight on someone other than him.

Honestly, First Class is probably my favorite X-Men movie, simply because you got a sense that the X-Men were a team who all had a contribution to make rather than a bunch of people who were incidentally there while Wolvie did all the heavy lifting.

>3 random images from the movies
>3 words that are meant so sound deep but mean nothing
>the first and third word are effectively synonyms
>amatic sc font
Didn't you mean to post that on Facebook?

>you see one you've seen them all
>2017
>the "mcu formula" meme is still in full swing
Shouldn't you have moved on to a new talking point by now?

Its weird. The highs are much higher, but the lows are WAY lower.

>X-Men 1 - Good for its time, aged like milk
>X-Men 2 - Good, Still holds up
>X-Men 3 - So bad even FOX decided to ignore it
>X-Men Origins Wolverine - Shit
>X-Men FC - Good
>The Wolverine - Shit
>X-Men DOFP - Great
>X-Men Apoc - Pretty bad
>Deadpool - Good
>Logan - Great

We'll probably never see something as heartfelt as DOFP or Logan from MCU, and Disney doesn't dare to do something R-rated but X.men's lows are much worse than the worst of MCU. The first is looked fondly back on by a lot of people, but it hasn't aged well at all.

Lets pitch MCU X Men teams
>Cyclops
Pretty much an obligation. Hasn't really done all that much in the other movies, so now would be a good time to make him a true leader.
>Storm
Another standard choice. Considering Halle Berry and literally who (who did very little in Apocalypse) are all we had, they can still get some mileage out of her.
>Wolverine
This one seems unavoidable so might as well add him. Best thing we can hope for is his importance toned down a litte, and getting a manlet actor in a real costume.
>Gambit
Here's where it gets interesting. Totally wasted in Origins: Wolverine, has an interesting power set, and his personality would blend well in the MCU
>Rogue
Original did jack shit. Lets get a flirty southern belle who steals Captain Marvel's powers. Also can explore romance with Gambit if need be

Sticking with these five should suffice. Anything larger than that might be too much too soon. After all, FOX X Men had a few issue juggling characters.

If theres anyone we can lose, it should be Jean and Magneto. Beast is debatable because we're never getting anyone as good as Kelsey Grammer again

Objectively correct opinion.

The best viewing order is X-Men, X-Men 2, Wolverine, First Class, DofP then Logan.

The plot holes in the prequel movies bother me a lot, especially making Mystique Xavier's "sister", when Emma Frost would've made much more sense, but they're ok films.

Maybe they'll do something fucking crazy and have the first MCU lineup be something random like, let's see...

>Xavier
>Cyclops
>Jean
>Beast
>Iceman
>Angel

Can you imagine how insane that would be?

Also I'd love for them to go without Wolverine for a movie. It's going to be pretty fucking hard to replace Hugh Jackman for the average moviegoer. I say make him a post-credits reveal like at the end of Ultimate X-Men #1. If the new X-Men movie is good enough, that could build sufficient hype I think.

I'll never understand why Sup Forums likes First Class and DoFP so much. Nazi Hunter Mags is fine and all, but it's not enough to redeem the whole film. The roster was retarded, and looked like they were just picking random names out of a bag.
The ONLY good scene in DoFP was seeing Halle Barry Storm getting killed by the Sentinels, and that is only due to spite and not execution.

I'm interested in seeing if they'll succeed in making people accept a new Wolverine.

Jackman was to that character what RDJ is to Tony Stark in the eyes of the audience. And he has been the face of that character for 17 years.

While I commend you for wanting the O5, Jean is done to death, and Angel is only good for Archangel shit. Maybe they can add Emma in later?
Well I can't speak for everyone, but for me it was how dire things were with the Sentinels and the ending felt right. Both Xaviers were good too, and I think Logan was utilized well to the point of not being a big damn deal. However Mystique was still annoying, and Quicksilver sucks

>Quicksilver sucks?
You were fine until you said that shit.

I almost wish that they had just made JLaw be Emma instead of Mystique. Have her play the same role in the movie, and not have to see her in blue make up. She's not nearly sexy enough for Emma, but at least her character would kind of make sense.

Quicksilver is fine, he's just kind of a bad gimmick. I also guess nobody is going to bother trying to explain that he's supposed to have aged 20 years in the time from when he first met Xavier and crew to Dark Phoenix.

He was a plot device, not a character. The fact that he's Magneto's son means nothing in that universe, and all he's good for is to fix nearly everything, suck out the tension, and be part of a now played out gimmick of slo mo-ing to a hit song

Agree for the most part with this, though I'd say First Class was good when we didn't knew half the cast was gonna be dead for DoFP

I want this merger to be stopped. The X-Men and MCU work better separate.

it's a bait from another thread user

The only great scenes I can remember out of all the movies the made were from Days of Future Past.

The beginning scene when the X-Men get wiped out was interesting because you never get to see them lose and die and they didn't hold back on showing it that time.

The other is when Charles meets future Charles. That scene was pretty kino.

Quicksilver fucking up the room was great too. Good choice of music for it as well.

The rest of the series was entertaining enough to watch but not interesting enough to remember.

>The only great scenes I can remember out of all the movies the made were from Days of Future Past.
White House teleportation fight is one of the best superhero scenes period, you retard.

Days of Future past is one of my favorite films of all time

Shouldn't the mcu have moved on to a new formula by now?

Please explain the formula that allegedly applies to all their movies without just summarizing the hero's journey.

When did people start liking DoFP?

5/23/14

>The MCU will never yield an X3 or Wolverine Origins
What do you call iron man 3 and age of ultron then?

I call them 80% fresh and 75% fresh.
rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man_3/
rottentomatoes.com/m/avengers_age_of_ultron

>"MUH HEWO'S JINNY! MUH HEWO'S JINNY!"
Fuck off, Marvel films are derivative, unoriginal, and formulaic. Playing damage control for them and claiming "EVERY STORY EVER" is a ripoff because they all follow a vague-ass story structure is cringey, user-kins.

modern "critics"

Not an argument, marthafucker.

>please provide evidence
>REEEEEEE YOU MUST BE TRIGGERED
I'm still waiting to find out what this formula is that makes Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man 3 the same movie.

Really fucking boring, but not actively painful to watch.

It's a good movie.

Accept it.

Fact. We all do.

Pray for Comcast/Universal.

This.

What makes it good?
I laughed through most of it.

The Story, the visuals, the character interactions & Tone. It's perfect.

It doesn't have a 91% Rotten Score for nothing.

Agreed.

Also it's not just that the X-men films are bad, it's that they don't care about the fans or any of the characters. How the fuck is it possible that characters like the Falcon and Rocket Racoon have more character development and more things to do than Storm and Wolverine.

>you must be shitting me, it was as bad as origins
Only a total contrarian cunt would say that. Origins fails basic storytelling structure. Even the first two Thor movies can do that.

Of all characters, why would you mention Wolverine? He's probably had more character development than any character in all of live action capeshit

I'd love an OG lineup. My dad read the early Xmen, and that was always his favorite.

I think if Marvel just did an Xmen Evolution live action they'd make bank.

Marvel will make bank regardless.

Yeah, but like, Guardians bank as opposed to Thor 2 bank.

I really fuckin hope Marvel gets the rights back for them.

>if you dont like the mcu youre a dc boy
the absolute state of user

F4 yes, Xmen fuck no.

The MCU is all average serviceable popcorn flickery (6/10s) with a couple shitty ones and a couple other that are legit good.
The X-Men franchise is all over the place, with most of them being either bad (X3, Origins Wolverine, Apocalypse) or good (X2, First Class, Logan), with X1 and DOFP being alright.
Overall, I think the franchise was alright/mediocre, but I prefer it to the MCU because it's not as formulaic.

>X-Men: 6/10
>X2: 7/10
>Last Stand: 4-5/10
>Origins: 3/10
>First Class: 7/10
>The Wolverine: 6/10
>DoFP: 6-7/10
>Apocalypse: 5/10
>Logan: 8/10

Imagine being this pretentious. You know movies can be great for different reasons right?