For the NYfags and the Broadwayfags, have you seen the Spongebob musical and what’s your thoughts?

For the NYfags and the Broadwayfags, have you seen the Spongebob musical and what’s your thoughts?

the only musicals I’ve seen live are The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, Avenue Q and Matilda The Musical

youtu.be/9HObbvrlYEA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L056Jxew_hc
youtube.com/watch?v=K2p02DfyzCE
youtube.com/watch?v=eNXbdLDZLKM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's amazing.

What Sup Forums work should get a musical adaption next?

Not Sup Forums but yeah...

A musical version of “Your Name” could kill on and off broadway if the people making it play their cards just right and let the Radwimps work their magic.

> not Sup Forums but here's my opinion anyway

You watched the bootleg, didn’t you?

>there's a reality where this somehow became a Broadway musical
>there's another reality where the musical was good

It legitimately turned me into a musicalfag, I think. I've been getting into a shit ton of them. They happen to have really tumblr-y fanbases, but I can't stop.

Watched it on broadway last saturday and it was amazing. Some references to the show (is mayonnaise an instrument for example) were a bit clumsy others, (dolphin swearing is in, the narrator is very prominent, they play live versions of the background music in the preshow) fit in perfectly. Soundtrack is 10/10 too

which ones?

Heathers, Be More Chill, and Dear Evan Hansen. The trifecta of terrible tumblr fanbases, from what I can tell. I assume the same will be for Hamilton, once I get around to listening to it. Heathers is definitely my favorite.

its a shame you cant just download a recording of em

Going to see it in June but I did watch the bootleg and it's pretty darn good. It has a lot of heart and creativity to it. If you're not into musicals it likely wouldn't interest you but it's one of my favorite new musicals since Book of Mormon.

Aside from the obvious "I'm not a loser" what were your favorite songs from it?

Burgeoning musicalfag here. What are some must-watches?

where did you find it?

Depends what you're looking for. The classics like Les miserable and Phantom are classics for a reason but they're aren't comedic for the most part. Personally my favorites are Little Shop of Horrors, Book of Mormon, and Urinetown because I enjoy the less serious ones. Rent has good music but the characters are so insufferable in it that it's hard for me to enjoy fully. I could give you more recommendations if you tell me what you're interested in.

>Hamilton
>tfw this show is still sold out

Someone stuck it on YouTube under the name "seafood city gets obliterated the musical" but I think it got taken down.

Here's a post of mine from earlier in the thread about what I've seen so far. I've been recommended Book of Mormon and Urinetown by a friend, so they're already on my list.

>Broadwayfags
Why should you care about them? Cancer in the most part.

Unironically the best thing to come from Spongebob since season 3.

I will recommend Tanz der Vampire until I die, but the english version is trash and for the german runs well, you need to know german.

Something Rotten was hilarious but you need to be a musical fan prior to seeing it or a lot of it will fly over your head.

Try Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, it's pretty top tier, Jesus Christ Superstar (the original movie from the 70's, not the 2000's version) is pretty good too.

And of course, Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds

Thanks, dudes.

>inb4 why is Sandy black faggots

A friend shown me a few animatics of Heathers. I also got Dead Girl Walking stuck in my head for the last three days.

I'd rather ask why are the musical versions of Spongebob, Patrick and Squidward so hugable, loveable and fucking fuckable cute.

>watching a musical based on the show that started the whole ADHD kids hype

not going to lie, even though I have seen plenty of episodes, spongebob will always be one of those shows which use retard-level humour to appeal to dumb low-life audiences

Is Mr. Krabs wearing Boxing Gloves?

Literally just last night went and listened through the songs for the first time, my god the people they got to write songs.

They might be giants, Plain White T, Panic at the disco, used a bowie song so hes officially credited before he died its so weiiiird dude. just. god.

I remember listing to the soundtrack thinking it was a school house rock kind of gimmick rap you'd make to sell direct to dvd movies for schools.

It was a giiiulty pleasure once I admitted how much was good

Then everybody unironically liked it to extreme sense.

Find the cancer bace and then I just gave up on ever watching it on stage.

The current cast is nowhere near the original anyways so I wouldn't bother watching it anyways

yup

The whole shows costuming is pretty creative in how they represent the characters in subtle ways without being too overt. Something that all the Disney musicals fail at.

You should go back to watching Rick and Memey user of superior intellect.

Avenue Q is fantastic

Heather's isn't even Broadway.

Good Dark Comedy though

As someone who has been going to Broadway for the past 15 years, Hamilton was 'good' but it wasn't ever really great. But it has a rabid fanbase that is incredibly cancerous. It mostly got recognition because the main lead was fantastic but also because of being so progressive, not only in actors choice but also in that it is significantly different than any other musical genre.

At the moment,
Dear Evan Hansen is the best. Book of Mormon/Wicked/Bronx Tale are always good. Cats is back, Miss Saigon is empty due to 'racism' but is very good. Anastasia is better than it should be.

Spongebob isn't bad but good god, Ethan Slater is insane and creepy as fuck.
If you like Spongebob, you'll like Lion King and Aladdin.

Classics.

Funny Girl/Hairspray - Comedy, West Side Story - Romance/Drama, Sound of Music - Family, Rocky Horror/Little Shop of Horrors - Rock, Chicago - Crime'Jazz', Grease - Romance-Happy, Cabaret/Les Mis - Depression, Phantom of the Opera - Romance-Dark

That should introduce you to different genres. Then you can decide which you like best and go from there.

The only ones I’ve seen are

>Ethan Slater is insane and creepy as fuck

I found him charming and he nailed the voice so I guess it varies from person to person.

Sadly most of the fanart for the musical is in the worst of tumblr artstyles but there are a few good images out there like pic related.

>In another dimension this musical got a song made by bowie.

>tfw you relate way too much with "I'm not a Loser"

I know it kind of defeats the purpose but I want fanart with show-accurate character designs that recreates scenes from the musical. Is there any?

Not yet. I've only found musical design art recreating scenes from the show so far.

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds is fucking topppp.

Where can I find a bootleg.

I bought the vinyl from a pre-owned bin at my local record shop for 6 bucks. Great decision.

Post the rest faggot

If someone ended up doing one of those animatics with the show designs that would be great. Bikini Bottom Day would probably be the best fit for something like that.

youtube.com/watch?v=L056Jxew_hc
>Tfw ywn see holy musical batman lie

Thanks friend.

I FUCKING HATE THIS MUSICAL.

Musical Theater major here, get ready for a big one. Spoilering to hide my autistic rant from those who may want to skip it.

Spongebob the musical has 17 different groups composing music for it-- this leaves any sort of musical cohesion out of the show. Characters don't have themes, songs don't interlink, and outside of Squidward's song, none of them are clever or well representative of the show. I fucking hate to see the dumbed down state of Broadway musicals today. Dear Evan Hansen, Spongebob, Mean Girls, etc-- People are flocking to these 'teen'y musicals that are lacking in musical intricacy and word painting. I'm not looking for a new Sondheim, but at least give us something as clever as Book of Mormon. Side note, liked Hamilton a lot, it was very smart but I don't think it's worth the hype

I do agree with you that the music isn't cohesive but I still enjoyed more than I did an adaption of any other animated material like Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast. The story was jumbled and it would have been better to have one composer but I still feel like there was a lot of love put into it and I thought the actors captured the characters well for the most part.

Did you see it on stage?

Yes. I wasn't very happy with it. There were a few clever lines but if the music stinks that's all I'm going to remember.

I really enjoyed it but then again I'm not a musical theater major. Thought it was cute and catchy which is good enough to satisfy me.

>rent
>insufferable characters
How?

They're a bunch of faggots who refuse to get real jobs and are assholes to their friend just because he actually decided to get his life together. The worst is Maureen for being a cheating self absorbed slut. In contrast Roxie from Chicago is also a cheating self absorbed slut but the musical recognizes this and she gets her comeuppance in the end. Rent treats Maureen as any of the other charactrs despite her being an awful person.

I mean, I'm not trying to say my opinion is more valid as someone who DOES this kind of art-- If you enjoyed it, you enjoyed it, and that's good, and it's good that it was made. I just hated it.

I like musicals you can really sink your teeth into, y'know? Sondheim shit like Company, Merrily, and Sunday in the Park with George. I even like goofier stuff like Avenue Q-- so long as it takes full advantage of the musical elements. I also think Wicked is very smartly written if not overexposed.

Some of the Starkid musicals are very fun, like the Harry Potter stuff and more importantly Twisted.

I think characters doing bad things and still either getting redemption or being accepted is good. Their actions should have gravitas but I don't like the idea of every character being given these visceral ends.

I'm an odd one because I look to the entertainment value of a musical first and the music second which is why Urinetown is one of my favorite musicals despite its score not being up there with some other classics. I'm also a sucker for set design and costuming and I thought their use of everyday objects to represent the set was really clever. I'm not disagreeing with you that it had a lot of problems. I think it would have helped with they had one main composer who was working with the contributing artists to help tie it all together. Also the plot was really just an excuse to tie all the songs together. Nevertheless I had a great time watching it and thought the actors brought the charactrs to life well.

I'll dump what little I could find.

i'd rather he didn't
i've seen enough sonic and su r34

You're starting to sound a lot like Squidward.

yeah I played in Jekyll last year and I can attest to it being pretty good. Also, book of mormon has a really impressive soundtrack

>when the chorus disappears and Squidward has to finish the last line alone

I can only imagine what sort of world we'd have if Sup Forums had theater generals as autistic and taste-maker driven as the rest of the site.

>Not bald

These are all based off the musical designs I believe.

that's probably why his song was my favorite! It was such an insightful little song about petty hipster assholes like myself, and it was written by They Might Be Giants; always clever.

Anybody been in any shows lately? Recently starred in Avenue Q for a few weeks and I love that show

I would fucking love a /the/ board for stage plays and musicals. It'd move slow but the musical bants would be so fun

I would fuck that version of spongebob.

youtube.com/watch?v=K2p02DfyzCE

>Heathers

>the main lead was fantastic
LMM is a mediocre performer, though. Literally everyone else in the cast outshines him.

Let's be real, the board would be flooded with Who's Your Broadwaifu type threads.

those threads would hard to have since everyone would just post Sutton Foster

Super has already had a musical.
youtube.com/watch?v=eNXbdLDZLKM

>I want to smell Stephanie D'Abruzzo's stinky puppet using hands!

they'd have their own thread and we could just talk about which shows are the best

I would fuck regular spongebob as well at this point. I've been on this website too damn long that my libido is beyond fucked.

you'd think they're be more husbando threads than waifu threads though? i mean,yeah, there'd be discussion threads, but really, theater is gay.

as a straight guy in the industry, I'd like to think that we're trending away from musical theater being a gay club. Of course there's something about song and dance that's naturally attractive to gay men for some reason, and gays have made huge contributions to the artform that straights could never have imagined, but I don't think it needs to be a gay club.

I feel like reporters are latching on to calling anything anti-Trump even if it has literally nothing to do with Trump these days.

I fuckin' hate Trump but articles are so annoying. There's so much LEGIT shit you can say about Trump, why diminish your viewpoint by fabricating a message in a children's musical that clearly isn't there? This musical has been in the works since before Trump's election.

> and anti-trump
somehow they managed to fuck up spongebob
jesus

the title is completely unrepresentative of the actual article. The only mention of Trump is a sentence about the mayor resembling "a certain president" in demeanor.

Ok, good. I dont mind a joke but putting an agenda on any artform just for the purpose of having an agenda degrades the work if it wasnt political to begin with

God I wish I could draw