Is it just me, or have a lot of jokes in this comic strip not aged well?

Is it just me, or have a lot of jokes in this comic strip not aged well?

Well for starters, the comic was made for Newspaper. Newspaper being a dying media has made newspaper comic obsolete today. Back in it's prime around the 1990s when this comic was made, it contains a lot of pop-culture reference so obviously most of the jokes are rather dated.

The Loud House somewhat resembles this comic.

That doesn't stop them from still being funny, like when Jeremy tried to make a CG movie. Amend usually tries to work the pop culture stuff into the strips characters and stories instead of having it be just Family Guy-tier callouts.

I stopped reading it regularly once he switched to Sundays only. I used to buy all the book collections and read everything to that point, probably haven't read it in a couple years now.

Here's another shocker you won't age well either

Do you have an example?

I don't know, a lot of the references are dated, but I think that's part of the comic's charm. In a way, it's like a time capsule for pop culture and the American household from those decades.

>Jeremy
Jason

Still funny. Jason saw $$$$$ in making a CG movie, until he found out it took 60 hours to render each frame.
On modern computers a frame only takes 6 hours but that doesn't ruin the joke.

And some things never change.

This family drinks too much soda

It's just you.

Jokes can't get old when there is none.

The comic was made for the early-mid 2000s kids and parents to laugh and read about it. Hell even I actually laughed at Jason's shit and Peter's girlfriend (who actually makes me remember her name. Wow!)

So the jokes aren't gonna age well, but it's great to use it as a good ol' reference guide to put into popculture shit and make it really good.

>make the whitest comic strip of all time
>characters have porch monkey faces
what did he mean by this

It was the longest time before I realized Peter's girlfriend was blind and not always wearing sunglasses as a cartoony character design thing.

When are newspaper comics going to finally accept their fate and wither away with at least some grace? The medium isn't even current past 2005, print in general is moving to an online format. Most people are getting their comics from the web or television, and the last culturally relevant recent newspaper strip was the Boondocks (who got most of their recognition from television).

I loved newspaper comics, but it's time for them to retire.

Uniform

Ehhhh.

Foxtrot *tried.* It really tried to pick up the slack in the floundering/zombified medium. As Watterson and Larson were calling it quits and Peanuts was past its prime, and Garfield's best moments were now animation syndication instead of print, Amend was trying. But after nearly a decade even he stopped trying to do story arcs and just did gag-a-day shit that gets stale.

Also, give Amend props for Denise, the blind girl Peter was dating. I thought it was cute and even relateable when they first met and without thinking he asked if she wanted to go see a movie. That was fun amid a family strip where the mom is a raging hypocritical bitch (and that's the joke, sometimes) or a nerdy arc involving Jason playing video games or Roger the dad being a loser to rival Jerry Smith from Rick and Morty.

>decades old newspaper strip doesn't age well
No shit, fuckstain

Pearls before swine isn't terrible, though it repeats it's gags once in a while
Mutts is intended to be more cute than funny

and I can't comment much on anything else as I'm basing this on the page a month I see when I visit my mother
I myself haven't read a real newspaper in 16 years

>the dad being a loser to rival Jerry Smith from Rick and Morty
That's overstating it. Roger's just a doof who hasn't quite realized he isn't young anymore. He holds down a job and his wife doesn't hate him.

Charlie

I may have gone too far, but... The comic still hated Roger.

The two biggest plot lines I can recall that featured him entailed Andy (implied to have) beaten him with a fucking chair because the kids let him take the rap for breaking the computer, and the time he tried and ultimately failed to confront his boss over said boss wanting to give himself a raise as the company was laying off employees. Other times he had a sycophant employee backstab him, and his wife locked him out of the house for smoking a cigar or getting mad he tried growing a beard.

He once called Andy out on her bullshit about violent video games and she tells him to shut up because she's busy playing one. Otherwise, yeah, the joke is that he's a dopey sad sack, but everyone else in the comic at least one or two moments of success, and unless Roger was being oblivious in a short moment, he never got his.

Didn't one of the newer strips namedrop Homestuck?

hard for kids to understand windows 3.1 or 95 jokes in 2017

Kino