Is Apu getting the boot or what?

Is Apu getting the boot or what?

Pic related: It's Apu

Please respond.

Apu will become Apustaja.

Nope. Not until actual Hindi/Indians give a fuck. When its just white people tying themselves in knots, nobody gives a damnn

I wish Simpsons get the boot too.

They can always turn him into Gary Coleman.

No and that's not what most people who even think there's a "problem with Apu" even want.

Indians give a fuck. It's not just white people. The film that criticized him had Indians.

Doubt it.
He's one of the few decent human beings in Springfield who isn't an idiot.

Actually it's just some pajeet from the US, raised in a privileged society that wants to get famous because he can't deal with the fact that college wasn't giving him an easy track.
He picked American raised pajeets as opposed to actual fucking Indians from India. So yes, pajeets raised in the shithole of SJW land have issue because they see "le brown person being le shopkeeper" because that's what they're shown.

>you must be THIS Indian to be offended
That sounds like some no true indian bullshit on top of assuming no Indian from India could possibly take offense. Besides, isn't Apu raised in America?

I never stated that.
Apu is from India. He went to the University of Calcutta where he graduated first. He moved to America later on. In fact, it was an entire storyline that his VISA ran out and he was there illegally but didn't want to leave due to owing student loans and felt it was wrong not to pay them back.
Please, don't post again. You are lying to create a SJW argument.

Torille!!11

The only ones that whine about Apu being a harmful stereotype are lardmericans larping as pajeets just because they are 1/4 indian.

>asks question
>must be lying for SJW reasons
It's called being mistaken you autist. It still doesn't change the fact that you're trying to define who gets to be offended by the depiction of an Indian in America.
I'm fine with him, by the way, I just think he's funny for multiple reasons, one of them being that he's an insensitive depiction. You can call it what it is and still enjoy it.

This is the same as white SJWs throwing a bitch fit over Mario walking around with a poncho and mariachi hat in a Dia de los muertos themed level, and Mexicans going
>nah fuck you thats awesome

does it mean that all mexicans liked the stereotype? no not really, but more people enjoyed it than not.

>asks question
Not that user, but I think we both know you weren't simply "asking a question". It seems like he blew you the fuck out and now you're deflecting in a desperate attempt at damage control.

>insensitive depiction
Depicting other races according to the mean isn't insensitive. It has nothing to do with emotion and everything to do with reality. It also doesn't hurt that stereotypes can be amusing. On a related note, I wish this meme that "racial stereotypes" are inherently bad and that they have no basis in reality would fuck off already.

*1/4 native american

>This is the same as white SJWs throwing a bitch fit over Mario walking around with a poncho and mariachi hat in a Dia de los muertos themed level
I think the bitching about Apu is stupid but that's not even remotely similar.

No

I don't think you know what deflecting is. I'm not blown the fuck out because Indians in America can be offended at a racist character who is an Indian in India and trying to rationalize why American born Indians don't get to be offended is pretty dumb.

I agree stereotypes can be amusing. But where we disagree is that it is insensitive. A white guy talking like a Indian stereotype running convenience store isn't tasteful and it's going to offend. Doing it anyways is insensitive and that's okay. Simply saying "hell" and "damn" in public is insensitive, so please don't get the wrong idea about what that means.

So your new argument is: He's not actually Indian enough.
So we revert to what you claimed I was doing: No True Indian

I asked you not to post again if you're going to be retarded. Please do not post again if you are going to be retarded.

You know that's not how it works. Indians have little power. It's always upperclass white saviors whining that gets good things ruined. Think Speedy Gonzales.

Didn't the "comedian" who stirred shit say Apu should become a CEO, and Mr. Burns' greatest rival? That's five-year-old's fanfic level.

Personally, as a White, I think all non-White characters should be perfect heroes and Whites should all be villains - that would be cool.

>This is the same as white SJWs throwing a bitch fit over Mario walking around with a poncho and mariachi hat in a Dia de los muertos themed level,
No it's really not.

This is a bunch of Indians who grew up in America bitching about a character that people used to bully them when they were kids and how they never saw Indians on television that weren't Apu.

The fact that they still care, as adults with a shitload of cash is kind of sad but seeing as the guy who made the documentary seems to have built his entire stand up career around bitching about this he's seems to be milking this for all it's worth.

You don't understand, I'm saying it doesn't matter where and Indian character, or a character of Indian descent is or goes, you can still be offended if you're an Indian in America or an Indian in India. You're the one trying to define rules of offense.

at least Apu knows how to use a loo.

Is that why Indians are offended?

We can only hope that one day Hollywood is as diverse as Bollywood.

I do understand.
You're bitching that a white man can perform an accent.
I understand the idea of a white person possibly imitating an accent is offensive to you.

But please, stop posting retarded things.

But Bollywood isn’t diverse it’s full of Indians

I’m retarded I just got the joke

I'm saying that's okay. It's offensive, but it's okay. Plenty of funny things are offensive and plenty of things are funny because they're offensive. And that's okay.

Arguing with the guy you're arguing with will yield the same results as arguing with a super Tumblr social-justice type who won't consider alternative views.

This guy isn't arguing in good faith. You stated a fairly nuanced opinion in a civil way, and he's freaking out and attributing things you did not say to you because be categorizes anything that he doesn't agree with as th evil rhetoric of the enemy.

For the record, my opinion is similar to yours. Yes, Apu is tied to many stereotypes, so it is perfectly valid for any Indian-Americans to feel offended. Especially when, as one of the few south-asian characters in media, he comes to represent all of them in the minds of the viewer.

That said, I also don't think the fact that he is a stereotype is all that bad, as, beneath his stereotypical surface qualities, he has a host of other qualities that make him a compelling character, and not just some cardboard cutout they bring out when they want to make an Indian joke. He's definitely more of a worthwhile character than, say, that foreign cleaning lady from Family Guy, whose entire personality is "HAHA SHE DOESN'T SPEAK ENGLISH AND SHES HISPANIC SO SHE CLEAND HOUSES."

I don't think stereotypes are always bad, so long as there is some love in the character. I mean, it's no different from Groundskeeper Willy, or that Italian Chef. Singling out Apu, ironically, actually kinda "others" his culture as something distinct from cultures that happen to be predominantly white. I mean, it's almost like saying that Irish and Italian heritage are "normal" to American culture enough that there's no problem with satirizing it, but Indian culture is of another category.

But though I have no problem with Apu for the aforementioned reasons, I think it's a matter upon which reasonable people may disagree, so I'm not gonna tell some Indian guy that his feelings are illegal if he doesn't like how The Simpsons depicts people of his heritage.

He should start talking with a British accent now.

Get the fuck out if you think Apu was raised in America. Fucking casual faggot.

Also, I think that rather than the issue being "WE SHOULD GET RID OF APU!", maybe it could be "let's have more diverse South-Asian characters in media who aren't pigeonholed into these stereotypes." How many of these guys are even in movies in prominent roles in our media? I wonder how it compares to East-Asian Americans, who we only ever see as martial artists, wise sages, or maybe computer guys.

What is racist about Apu? How is owning a convinience store racial prejudice?

So your arguement has now changed to "you lied about what I said" after specifically quoting things I did not say and claiming I did?
Idiot.

I think people argue like that because they don't want to even validate the premise, because then they'd have to apply that to a larger conversation which they fear will remove Apu. Then there's the whole culture war, where someone saying "bikini armor is ridiculous" translates to "women shouldn't dress sexy in comics". Other topics aren't treated like this; you can say you hate beer without someone getting in your face about prohibition, you can say you like hot dogs without someone asking you why are you such a vegan, but conversations like this come loaded to some people.

It's a stereotypical trade and the accent isn't exactly spot on.

>"bikini armor is ridiculous" translates to "I'm offended about THINGS!"
Fixed.

Oh shit and I should throw in that "offensive" doesn't have to mean "racist" in this situation. Again, just saying things like "crap" is offensive.

And why is it being stereotypical a bad thing? Having an asian character be good at math is offensive? I could see it if the asian guy would go around eating neighborhood pets, but being good at math is a good trait. Owning a convinience store is also a good trait, it's a honest job

I think the accent is good btw

Oh so it's a non-issue, got it

I bet if it was a Pajeet from the US that the accent would magically be fucking acceptable.

Here's the thing: you're arguing that pajeets should be offended because... they're Americanized.

How retarded are you that in a show set in yankee-doodle average America city, that a fucking Indian guy, gets his fucking PHD, becomes a damn business owner and it's "offensive" because he... succeeded?

Perhaps you would like Apu to become a doctor? No, that would be offensive. Erm... a nuclear safety inspe- no that requires intelligence and it's a stereotype that Asians aren't stupid.
Oh, I know! How about we put him in a low level bluecollar job. Wait no, he's an immigrant, that's offensive too.
An office job? Like get him to wear a su- no wait, that's offensive because Indians taking jobs in America is offensive

Gosh, how about we just have him on welfare? Surely that's not offe- Oh fuck he's an immigrant, right? Geez, I give up user.

What ISN'T fucking offensive to your fat ass pajeet privileged SJW self?

Not my Apu

>Didn't the "comedian" who stirred shit say Apu should become a CEO, and Mr. Burns' greatest rival? That's five-year-old's fanfic level.
Honestly, you could get a few good gags out of that.

i think we should fix the character by having apu seduce marge into an affair haha
that would make it clear that he is appreciated in the community, not just for his convenience store

I bet user's hands started to shake when he typed this shit out.

I mean, it ain't practical, and you would definitely die in battle really fucking fast, but it's fucking awesome anyway

Critique often is. You like what you like.

I'm not saying they should be offended, I'm just stating some reasons why they would be. You're not understanding: I'm fine with him, but I'm not about to tell any sort of Indian who is offended by Apu that there isn't anything offensive about Apu.

> SJWing a zombie show
> Implying Social
> Implying Justice
> Implying Warrior
But why? This is literally a college brat's game to see how much he can destroy while still being called a hero.

>he can't possibly believe that he's providing meaningful commentary and/or be misguided
Why does your mind go directly to him trying to destroy something?

an adult should't be offended by anything, being offended is a teenagehood behavior, you must outgrow it.

>pic related: it's apu
I don't know why that made me laugh

A child got uncomfortable and decided out of all possible options the solution was to eliminate the discomfort. It's a classic fanatical purger response.

>thinking video games are real
???

But he's not asking to destroy or ban anything. We talk about the problems we have with a lot of things we like.

Adults should get offended by plenty. If you don't fight someone who calls you a faggot you're a cuck.

I'm glad they didn't. It would have been the biggest cop out.

You know someone can be perfectly aware of that fact and still state that that armor is impractical but awesome, right?

You are fucking retarded to believe being "offended" is a reason to fight. It's the opposite, you act like a teenager on feefee mode instead of having hte experience and knowledge to fight the good things.

>fight the good things.
What are the good things?

The whole show is full of stereotype characters. Wiggum, Cletus, Willy, and so on.

Singling out Apu, who actually has good episodes where he's the main, is silly.

For some reason, I'd fap more to smut of Erza Scarlet than That just looks like a whore rping as... a rp character I guess.

No. Jesus.

An Indian-American made a documentary about how it feels to him and some other Indian-Americans that one of the most visible Indians in American culture is a stereotype voiced by a white guy. That's his prerogative. Everyone has a right to an opinion. And the dude's dad probably talks like Apu. And he probably got some "thank you come agains" thrown at him on the playground. So he made a movie about his experiences and about his opinion and the opinions of other people like him.

FOX does not care. The Simpsons is a cultural juggernaut. You may as well ask if Star Wars is going to get rid of Darth Vader because Darth Vader wears black and some black comedian made a documentary about how he and some other black comedians felt watching a black-costumed guy be the scariest villain in the world. They won't get rid of Apu. Hell, they already did an episode where Aziz Ansari, voicing a young Indian-American, mocks Apu for being a stereotype, so it's not like they haven't addressed the issue already.

Not every thinkpiece or video series or documentary is an existential threat. Especially not when they're about the most profitable franchises in the history of the world. Untwist your panties and let the bees out of your bonnet, for fuck's sake.

>Pic related: It's Apu
Thanks man, got confused for a second there.

Stereotypes aren't automatically bad or wrong to include in any piece of media, it's just that judging someone before you meet them is bad and people's impressions are largely formed by what they see on TV. It wouldn't be so "bad" if there was more Indian representation, but he's it. I don't think he's a bad dipicition and he is actually used to make jokes about the general population's ignorance about him and his culture.

>An Indian-American made a documentary about how it feels to him and some other Indian-Americans that one of the most visible Indians in American culture is a stereotype voiced by a white guy.
Has voice actor worship always been a thing or is it just something that cropped up in recent years? Why do people care who voices a character? It's not like the voice actor is physically in the show wearing blackface.

This isn't about worship, what are you talking about? And people doing racial impressions for comedy reasons is offensive and that's part of what makes it funny to me.

Apu has to be one of the most lovable Simpsons characters ever, and now a bunch of assholes want to fuck it up, even if we are already past the point of no return.

>Why do people care who voices a character?

Let me put on my empathy hat/blog like a faggot and try to figure out why people care about this specific issue.

It's not just that Hank Azaria is voicing an Indian guy (although plenty of Indian actors will rightly or wrongly complain they lose out on Indian-accented voice work to more established white guys). It's that he's a white guy voicing a stereotypical Indian guy using a stereotypical "generic Indian guy voice", and that makes the stereotype "hurt" more for Indian-American viewers than if an Indian dude was voicing the stereotype. From what I've read in interviews with Aziz Ansari, it matters more that Hank Azaria voices Apu because he's a white guy using the voice white kids/adults would use to mock Ansari's parents. Kind of like a more palatable version of Mickey Rooney doing a ching chong chang accent in Breakfast at Tiffany's when the studio could've at least hired a Japanese actor to play the same stereotype: "you're not worth enough to voice/play a character that's your own ethnicity so we got a white guy to do it instead."

>Apu
>posts picture of Moe

Sneed's Kwik-E-Mart
(Formerly Apu's)

You know what’s funny nobody ever complains that Hibbert or Carl are not voiced by black guys.

looks like we found the next characters to complain about

I've heard that plenty of latinos loved Speedy Gonzales, is that tru?

Hibbert and Carl aren't stereotypical black accents. People would definitely be complaining if the actors did shitty gangsta accents.

why would they boot a character

why not just involve him in the show more often and establish a stronger character for him that isn't just indian clerk?

why not put some hindu shit in there or introduce apu's extended family or something?

i love apu. why is he leave?

>that's not what most people who even think there's a "problem with Apu" even want.

What DO they want? Haven't seen the film and not trying to start shit, I'm genuinely curious.

Like said, you ignored the substance of my post: Hibbert and Carl aren't really defined black stereotypes, they're just guys who happen to be black. Dollars to doughnuts if one of the most popular characters on the show was a shady character named LaShawn (think of him as a gangsta version of Snake) and voiced by Harry Shearer you'd see a similar documentary, although to be honest he probably wouldn't have lasted as long as Apu because black people have a bit more cultural clout than Indians (even if Indians tend to do better on average economically, it's way more acceptable to do a stereotypical Indian voice than it is to do a traditional minstrel show black voice).

Groundskeeper Willie is a racist stereotype too. Why is a white guy doing a stereotypical Scot accent? HMMMMMMMMMM??

No they just have to downplay him for awhile till everyone forgets about the controversy

It’s not Indians it’s one emotionally stunted man child who lashes out at bullies by bitching about apu

Scots are generally white.

There's an argument to be made that someone like, say, Cletus perpetuates an offensive and harmful stereotype about low-income white southerners (especially during the heroin and meth epidemics). But it's hard to claim Scottish-Americans are just as saddled with stereotypes as Indian-Americans.

Sort of like how going "you know, the Irish were indentured servants, and No Irish Need Apply signs were common during the late 1800s-early 1900s, so why isn't anyone talking about the great tragedy of Irish slavery" kind of glosses over the difference between black people's issues and white people's issues in favor of something vaguely similar but not really all that relevant to the conversation.

>Scots are generally white.
wow

WOW

wow.

>believing everything you read on wikipedia

scottish erasure conspiracy

I think the issue is that The Simpsons has gone on for so long and hasn't adjusted. The show is a walking relic. The core of The Simpsons is rooted in the time it was created (late 80s/plus the 90s) and the childhood of the writers, who grew up in the 60s and 70s. A lot of the character archetypes used in the show either don't have a place anymore or have an entirely new one in modern culture.

The Simpsons being a dysfunctional family isn't subversive anymore. No one talks about President Kennedy, Cliff Huxtable and Arnold Schwarzenegger these days. Smithers being gay doesn't mean the same thing today that it did 20 years ago.

This happens with most shows, but the difference is that they end. We can look back at them and say "Yeah, that was a different time, but at least we're past that" whenever we realize that something wasn't exactly culturally sensitive. But with The Simpsons, it's still going on. What makes this even worse is that The Simpsons isn't just any show. It's a super important one that heavily influenced our culture at one point.

So what we have now is a show that exists in this really awkward limbo. The Simpsons exists simultaneously in the 90s and 2017. It's simultaneously really culturally significant and irrelevant. No one really knows how to handle it so of course we're going to get stuff like this documentary, whether or not you agree with it.

Does anyone really care?
Do any of you even recall watching an episode of the Simpsons from the past decade that wasn't a Halloween episode?
The Simpsons are dead.
We buried them.
We Buried Them.

Why? Apu is great.

It's very true. They were very happy to see a funny, heroic, victorious Mexican character.