So was Bart supposed to be this super popular badass kid that everyone loved...

So was Bart supposed to be this super popular badass kid that everyone loved, or a dorky dweeb who got beat up and hung out with the likes of Milhouse and Martin? This seemed to change every other episode.

Also why the fuck didn't those other nerdy girls who worked on the yearbooks with Lisa sign hers? That's fucking cold.

I remember in a DVD commentary the writers specifically mention that, and basically do a combination of laughing it off and admitting its a good tool to set up whatever plot they need for that particular episode.

With so many seasons with so many episodes written by so many people, its easy for the characters to be twisted and interpreted in different ways for the convenience of the episode.

No clue for the yearbook question though.

Class clown, you dolt.

He's the class clown. The other kids like him when he's amusing them with his shenanigans, but otherwise think he's a loser and don't care about him.
I speak from experience.

>GIRLS, Lisa. Boys kiss GIRLS

ITT: lines that didn't age well

Nelson was originally a generic class bully.
He got some level of character development in season one, in the episode "Bart The General".

As for Bart, I stopped watching around season 22 or so but he was never popular or friendless. He was an odd mixture. He's shown with Milhouse a lot since they are (were? Not so sure) best friends.
Lisa/Janey had the same thing going on but they dropped Janey for some reason.

Lisa & Bart are only really unpopular when the plot calls for it. Generally for Lisa it's when her intelligence comes into question to the point she gets a superiority complex and doesn't actively realize it and keep it under control.

For Bart it's when his pranks or actions get the other kids into trouble or annoy them to the point it's not worth the risk/reward. IE, a lesson he learned fucking early on with the removal of Jebbediah Springfield's head and that should have been a turning point.
Same with him shoplifting and getting caught.

But the lessons are never learned for the main charactesr because it would ruin the entire plot for the future.

In otherwords: Bart/Lisa are as popular or unpopular as the jokes & plots demand.

He and Milhouse are on the level where they get beaten up, but get an explanation.

Was it Marge who said that? That seems reasonably in-character, considering Marge is supposed to be the one who's most concerned about social norms.

I was watching an early season ep the other day where Lisa's having a slumber party with Janey and some other girls (Sherri & Terri maybe?) and they chase Bart around the house for a kiss. Seeing Lisa casually hanging with friends really took me out of the episode

If Lisa shoots up the school, it's all their fault.

Yes, she says it to Lisa when Lisa complains that Gore Vidal has kissed more boys than she ever will.

The thing is, Lisa wasn't actually a bitch in the early seasons. She was pretty normal, albeit gifted. She wasn't autistic, asocial, anything. Just a smart little girl.
Later on it was changed she was mainly only "tolerated" by her "friends" and they dropped it to the point she's now a fucking outcast because smart people = autistic loners apparently

Class clown who tries too hard.

>Later on it was changed she was mainly only "tolerated" by her "friends" and they dropped it to the point she's now a fucking outcast because smart people = autistic loners apparently
I feel like the bitch change came later though, like in OP episode I still feel for her and she doesn't really do anything to deserve the treatment she gets. I guess Lisa the Vegetarian is the turning point for a lot of people, but even that ends on a good moral of tolerating other people's beliefs and not forcing yours on them.

Lisa Vs. Malibu Stacey was the turning point - she wouldn't accpet the doll wasn't sexist and was just based on a woman who was naturally fucking submissive to men and wanted to be a trophy wife.

I'd say her fall from grace was Lisa's Rival & Lisa On Ice - both episodes showed she's very fucking vicious when she thinks she's being threatened at being number one.
Yes, she eventually relented but only out of guilt based on embarrassing someone in public (in the case of Allison) and the fact she genuinely loves Bart (in the case of Lisa On Ice).
She's happy enough to be devious so long as public humliation isn't the result.

I don't know the exact point, but she had turned by the time Lost Verizons happened. In that one she lets the entire family pay for a trip to Machu Pichu just because "I've always wanted to see that", knowing full well they can't afford it.

He was formerly badass but then turned into a punching bag for the self-loathing writers.

Misfit

The lesson of the Malibu Stacey episode wasn't that the doll wasn't sexist and Lisa couldn't see it, though. Like she even got the original creator on her side. The positive moral is "even if you can reach just one person you've made a difference" and the negative one is "corporations win".

I'm not talking about the plot point overall, I'm talking about Lisa's personality.
The original creator didn't care the doll was teaching girls to be trophy wives, she was a trophy wife (at one point) and was happy being rich. The doll was based on her and the doll was damn near accurate to her.

But Lisa decided that they need to force education, something she herself thinks is good and the be all and end all of life, on little girls instead.

She's was selfish and opinionated.

Class clowns are like that, especially poor/white trash ones. I was one as a kid and I was too weird to hang out with the Chads/Stacies/uber-normies even though I managed to get laughs from them in class and therefore ended up hanging around a lot of nerdy kids despite being dumb as shit and usually ended up in a ringleader-esque position among them but not around others. Bart's too eccentric, lazy and un-normieish to be a straight up super popular kid, like most class clowns.

>But Lisa decided that they need to force education
Lisa didn't decide anything needed to be forced, she wanted to show girls had more options than being a trophy housewife. And like I said, since she got the creator backing her, the woman obviously agreed. In the end Lisa accepts her defeat pretty gracefully and on her own.

Like yeah she was mildly annoying but that definitely was not the turning point for her character. The vegetarian episode was WAY worse, and even then she learns and accepts what she did wrong.

The SJW stuff isn't what ruined Lisa, it was always there. What really ruined her was the way they subtly aged her. At the start she acted like an 8 year old - a super-intelligent 8 year old, but a preteen child nonetheless. Gradually she morphed into a moody, cynical teenager. It's kind of disturbing when characters age mentally without aging physically

trips of truth

>It's kind of disturbing when characters age mentally without aging physically
south park has actually done this pretty well

at the beginning they're unaware of almost everything and gradually learn

but every now and then something comes up like not knowing Slash is a fictional character to remind us they're actually kids

All of these guys are right. But also, Bart explains that he's at a "3" in terms of popularity: he gets beat up, but at least he gets an explanation for it. He's shown to be influential (Cone of Ignorance, anyone?) and often draws a crowd to him. While he hangs out with Martin sometimes, he's also clearly above him in social standing - even fucking Milhouse is more popular than Martin.

So I believe that he's kind of a loser, but is charismatic enough to draw attention to himself. As the class clown, he's liked but not not respected.

This. Plus she later struggled to accept her sister when she turned out to be gay, so her having some misgivings makes sense.

I like to think that her friends got sick of Lisa because she got so preachy and judgmental.

Bart is currently a super popular badass kid
(Formerly a dorky dweeb who got beat up)

>I speak from experience.
Same. Class Clowns are popular in brief spurts. They do something funny, people like them, then people forget about the funny thing they did and stop caring.

..Wait, are you implied Bart turned to shoplifting/theft in later seasons? I recall the fake wedding registry deal he made that got him in Juuvie but he went on to do the thing that broke his mother's heart AGAIN?

Al Jean said that it was based on some traumatic childhood memory of his sister's sleepovers.

That was the joke idiot

>class clown
>liked but not respected

/thread

Woah that was pretty interesting.

>she wouldn't accpet the doll wasn't sexist and was just based on a woman who was naturally fucking submissive to men and wanted to be a trophy wife.

But user, the point is "why are you teaching this to the little girls?" if this is a bad behaviour then why would you (or corporation) expose the children to this and present it as something positive?

That's the lesson that the episode tries to present with the creator of the doll. "I shared her point of view but... years living in her style brought me bad moments".