Scary Go Round

Dare we dream that Des finally dies?

So bets on how future scout will fuck this up.
My money is on Tim diving onto the bullet to save Shelly

Well obviously my money is on Des obnoxiously interrupting the proposal and getting shot, dying and leaving the world a better place than it was.

The only good thing he ever did was run away and introduce us to Shauna

Do you reckon this band idea is gonna go forward or is it gonna split up after witnessing a murder

I think it’s good that the band right now is garbage, gives them room to develop in future stories.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a plot line about the band tying into a mystery

You can really tell Lottie's focused more on looking cool/sexy while playing instead of playing well.

She causes a ruckus and Tim ends up proposing to Des.

Who might she be trying to look sexy for? She’s the only Mystery Teen to have not had a romantic thread

Are they gonna become an item?

Bands made up of 16yr olds are always garbage but the enthusiasm is rather sweet.

I was initially kinda bothered that Jack who is established as the most musical of the bunch wasn’t involved. But that may come later, it’d be nice to see the band improve with his involvement

Is Linton even interested in Lottie? He had almost had a shot, and Claire says she likes him back

Does this look like a girl interested in men?

I was irritated that either Mildred or Jack weren’t also part of the band but this just means they have another chance to dance together

But only Shelley is low tier enough to deserve Desmond.

I mean, awful personality aside she is also a millionaire children’s author.

Lets be fair. Nobody deserves Des. He tried to kill Claire for offering him a job

God I hate this stupid fishman constantly interrupting the story with his dumb adventures

Who’s your best girl?
Best boy?
Who do you prefer, mystery boys or mystery girls?

i liked the mystery girls before they grew up to become standard Bobbins/Scary Go Round jerks.The boys are all rad.

I’m not sure I follow? Shauna grew up and got a little punk, Lottie is still Lottie and Mildred grew into a seductive minx.

The boys are all definitely rad

Lottie’s mom really got hot later on

Des is eternal, OP. When aliens discover the charred, burned out remains of planet Earth with all life long since dead, there will still, somehow be a new Des comic every 6 months.

He even managed to turn up in Giant Days with no context

>Who might she be trying to look sexy for?
Herself? Lottie don't need no-one else to validate her

Wait what no you can’t just say these things without context

Shit, you right
Also Jack and Mildred best girl and boy and I hope they end up together

She lost a lot of weight after dumping that sewer hero

I think she got MILFyer with the grey streak

>dat impish demeanor

She's going to rip peoples' hearts out at uni.

Except maybe Linton and Sonny the whole mystery crew is portrayed as immensely attractive

He started the mod movement and can charm Miss Tacklefords

Shauna is pretty cool, poor, intelligent, diligent, creative.

Does she have a shot at going to uni? Can she even afford it because the others definitely can

Student loans are a thing. There are also certain grants available to exceptional students in her position.

The rising tide of estate prices improved her wardrobe, methinks.

She's a dedicated student with a huss tory of extra curriculars, presumably has been saving some of her pay from Amy, and her mom'said finances have improved fairly steadily since herror youth.

There's probably a decent chance.

Nah that was her brother smashing all her shit

She’s supposed to be a super fit swimmer right? Mmmm swimmer bod

She got all her clothes from Amy which is why she looks and acts punk these days. She’s Amy 2.0 the same way Lottie is Shelley 2.0

Nope

Attractiveness is a necessary part of mystery solving. It gets people to follow your deranged plans with fewer objections.

You’re probably 100% correct, and thus the girls can usually coerce the boys into a scheme

cheeky teen bands solving mysteries has been at thing for decades!

This is in fact a natural evolution of a mystery kid. Put more then 4 of them together during puberty and you are going to get a mystery solving band.

What other teen mystery bands are you thinking of because all I’ve got is like, Josie and the Pussycats maybe? Did the Scooby gang ever form a band?

I don’t wanna miss out on a juicy trope or tradition

Now that you mention it, a lot of cases only got solved because of them being hot or being hot was an integral part

This bit with Tim
Mildred and the case is the fire inside
Mildred and the Forked Road
Shauna and the lonely one
Jack and the team spirit
Jack and Modern Men
And maybe space is the place

I was talking about Lottie's mom.

desmond fishman will never fucking die.

Wasn't Jabberjaw part of a band?

>What other teen mystery bands are you thinking of because all I’ve got is like, Josie and the Pussycats maybe?

Jabberjaw.
The Archies, I think, sometimes had Mystery Solving and Band and coincidental keywords.

Timebusting Grote Curves, they all thicc af

Did we ever see a proper Blossom/Shauna resolution or did it happen off screen?

We did, Blossom got into a scrap and Shauna went to help her even though Blossom sorta ruined her life, that caused a fallout between Shauna and Lottie though.

Shauna and Blossom are good.

Lottie is still wary but giving her a chance

Also Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids and A big percentage of The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan,

Scooby Doo kids got together after puberty, so they didn't form a band. You have to lock it in before a certain point or they'll evolve into different mysterymons.

No man could ever be prosecuted for being tempted into sin by such THICC.

Now I’m interested in the mystery child life cycle

Ryan made the right choice in the end.

Yeah, watching war documentaries with Esther's dad seems pretty choice.

Ryan is a good boy who at best needs a little structure, he’s a decent sort, much better than Tim.

He almost went to Uni on a scholarship for his poetry until Tim wrecked it

Expecting to Fly was probably one of my very favorite stories that John has done. Shelley and Ryan are more human in this than in probably any other story.

Alison is kinda writing the book on that, the only other time we've been able to follow the entire life cycle was with the Chan clan, and they are exclusively chinese so they've always been an iffy baseline.

Sorry Op, Des is in fact saving the day.

I forget, did she get to go back to swimming after the big Blossom brawl?

>all dem redheads

Man, that's a fine swatch of firecrotch.

Shauna does, she gets her swim club privileges back eventually, can’t remember when

Dang it. Now my new hope has gotta be Scout shooting herself because she’s a bumbling idiot and THAT trauma nips the Tim/Shelley marriage in the bud

here, lets try:

Mystery Solving children occur randomly in the human genepool. Their base evolutionary state (baby form) is "Meddler." which is also their type.

The life cycle is cruel to early meddlers, barring being born from an adult Mystery Child (see Chan Clan), they often face discouragement from their parents (or are orphans) and must begin without resources. Mystery Children naturally seek out others of their kind, though may not always be successful in this en devour, as there may simply be no other surviving mystery children. The mystery child will instinctively attempt to form a symbiotic relationship with local law enforcement, but unproven meddlers are often rejected by the cynical Coppers, who will not be willing to share their prey without proof of mutual benefit. Mystery Children must present Coopers with their shared prey of criminals in order to prove to the Coopers they are worthy of the larger beasts protection. However Criminals are more then capable of defeating smaller mystery childen during their vulnerable years, and will instinctively attack them if discovered. A mystery kid's survival depends on their ability to either identify criminal locations and convince Coopers to be led to these locations, or if they cannot avoid detection and discovery, be clever enough to evade their prey turned predators or endearing enough to captured instead of simply eliminated, and have sufficent escape skills or already forged connections with other children/law enforcement/loyal animals to free them. Unpaired meddlers evolve into the Kid Detective Type. They have a high propensity to attract normal human and/or animal sidekicks who may or may not become mates in post-pubescent development.

Sometimes a mystery child will have siblings, there is a higher than normal chance of them being twins in these instances. Siblings are more likely to bond exclusively with each other, though again there are exceptions do these rules.

and they’re also a family right? so that definitely muddles the romantic aspect

I'm too lazy to find it right now, but I remember a Bad Machinery Strips that referenced some other mystery kids that had met some unfortunate ends.

More fortunate mystery children will find larger groups to increase their chances of survival. Any group of mystery children larger then 4 children or 3 children and one sidekick will evolve into "Meddling Kids". Unlike kid detectives, Meddling kids tend to attract a different breed of sidekick: They will commonly be anthropomorphized animals or technology capable of sentient thought and at least basic communication. In other instances they will be supernatural creatures of some sort: Ghosts, cryptids and the like. The final and rarest category is super-powered individuals (this last usually occurs when at least one of the Mystery Kids has para-human powers of their own). In the abscene of a viable sidekick, events may occur that transform one of the mystery kids into a viable sidekick.

While Meddling Kids now have a larger network with which to coordinate and compensate for each others strengths and weaknesses, they will also become attracted to or naturally drift towards larger and more dangerous mysteries. Again, natural will enact a brutal culling period for those not up to the task, Meddling kids can devolve into normal humans if sufficient trauma happens within the group.

Towards the end of Case of the Severed Alliance

heh, Look at my last post
Successful mystery children's will continue to evolve, which becomes dependent on their the time they have met. Mature Meddling Kids (also known as Meddling Teens, there is debate that they should encompass their own slot) who make their connections with others after puberty may find a mundane profession to tie their group around, often to provide funding as their primary prey of criminals will usually have their funds taken by the Coopers they inevitably call after capturing said criminals.

However, mystery children who sucessfully made a functioning group before puberty are likely to evolve instead into a "Mystery Band". While their musical talent can be dubious (many groups have incredibly repetitive choreography and vocalizations that don't seem to be tied to their mouths), they nonetheless will continue finding "Gigs" to play.

Both forms of Mystery Teens have a high propensity to experience wanderlust, and will leave their home enviornment. This does not compromise their ability to find prey and mysteries, it actually increases it as the group will instinctively drift towards mysteries, often arriving before the mystery begins through a process we have not been able to explain. Attempts to take a break, go on vacation, or even directly avoid mysteries paradoxically increase their success rate of precognitive drifting toward an imminent event.

Well, about time someone develops a mystery kids rpg...

is all this from tv tropes or something because its really painful to read

Another trait that we don't fully understand that emerges during this time is the "Chase Scene." Mystery Teens have reached the point where they often persue very dangerous prey, and cannot survive direct confrontations. While they will have developed effective trapping techniques to defeat their would-be-pursuit predators, prey will need to be baited and/or escaped from, and during these moments music will follow the mystery children out of nowhere. If the mystery children are the Mystery Band type, the music will be from their own collection. If they are not, music will often be poppy in nature, reflecting conventional music styles of the times. During these periods, even Mundane Mystery teens seem to develop preternatural powers of disguise and contortion, and outright physics violating teleportation abilities. Criminal predators and mundane humans that have become involved in a current mystery will also develop this ability, though less then .5 %of criminals who acquire this power will be able to catch any of the Mystery Teens in a way that is not immediately thwarted.

The final state of a mature mystery solver, the Meddling Adult/Detective , is mostly hypothetical, as the final and most boggling facet of mystery children is their propensity for pseudo-immortality. The more successful a mystery child group, the less chance they will experience maturation beyond teens, maintaining a fixed age for decades. Dissolution with the group will almost always resume conventional aging and maturation, but as this tends to result in a devolution back to normal human they are not considered true examples of a fully evolved mystery child. The few Meddling Adults we have observed seem to have a significantly increased chance of giving birth to Meddling Children. This appears to be a case of Nature Trumping Nurture, as even when Orphaned or given direct attempts to keep them baseline human 2nd generation Meddling Children are some of the most prominent examples.

This is bullshit I came up with for this thread while drunk on moonshine cause made that post and why the fuck not.

I will acknowledge my faggotry for doing this.

It’s good mate I like it, the Mystery Teens here have gone through most of these, except the mascot unless you count Archie the Wendigo or Little Claire

Does that mean Des was the mascot for Shelley and crew?

Someone posted in a recent thread the story of a Changeling RPG where everyone was a Mystery Kid

It’s not too late for Scout to have shot Des still she coulda turned and shot him

I don't blame Shauna's bro for smashing her shit. A prison sentence is no joke and I found Shauna very hard to sympathize with after she stitched up her brother.

My money is on Des barging in causing Scout's shot to miss it's mark. Someone still ends up dead. Maybe Tim? Shelley decides she needs to leave the weirdness of Tackleford behind forever to raise her daughter.

Yeah, getting sent to jail and coming out like 10 years later, with a criminal record, everyone you know has passed you by, and you now owe 40k to a sniveling shit you could have dealt with earlier and your family is different and happier without you.

All because of your little sister.

Yeah yknow now that you say it I don’t blame him for bring that upset.

Blossom is a fucking maniac just because she wasn’t gonna get the dick

Des slams the door spinning scout around as she panics and pulls the trigger shooting Des.

Shelley leaves
Tim is alone
Scout wins
Des dies

Everyone’s happy

Lottie Shauna Claire and Blossom as Band.

Jack as songwriter/male back vocals
Sonny as audio guy
Mildred as manager
Linton as ???

Shauna was 10 at the time, hardly old enough to really understand the consequences. Maybe Darren should have not lived such a shitty life.

I mean, as Shauna and his Mom described it, the council houses were just shit and everybodies brothers got pulled in. It’s not like he had many opportunities to live a good life

Shaunas mom is a good mom right?

She's kind of a moron, or Allison is. Even with the upgrade to a house, the living expense of an extra child is pretty fucking substantial.

Realistically it doesn't work out that well, or guarantee you'll get a house either iirc.

She didn't plant those drugs in his room.

She's a grass. She's a cunt.

Ya don’t snitch out your family, especially if it was relatively benign shit like that. Unless he was dealing bc that’s bad road I suppose

yep

Band Manager

I always forget this webcomic can go super dark

Linton is just after a warm hole. Lottie had a crush on him in like 4th grade that’s probably over since she’s seen him be pretty pathetic

Lottie x Mysteries is the only good Lottie ship

That comic from like a month ago. And she still wanted him after he got his ass kicked by Colm.

Mildred has always been a little... shameless.

This was the comic posted here back in 2012 that got me into it. Well, the one right after this one.