How come Disney never built a brand around their male film characters like they did with Disney Princesses for female...

How come Disney never built a brand around their male film characters like they did with Disney Princesses for female characters?

Other urls found in this thread:

disney.wikia.com/wiki/Disney_Adventurers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Name as many Disney princesses as possible. Now name as many male leads from Disney as you can.

There's just not a lot of strong ones. They could do it eventually since they're making the male love interests more than just a nameless prince.

The ones I can think of
>Peter pan (obv)
>Flynn from Tangled
>The guy from Frozen (the good guy)
> Mowgli from The Jungle Book (Good luck with that one, a lot of people view him as racist now)
>Aladdin

These are the ones I can think of most easily compared to say
>Aurora
>Snow White
>Ariel
>Mulan
>Belle
>Tiana
>Rapunzel
>Anna
>Elsa
>Alice
>Megara (if Hercules had done better)

and a bunch of others, you get the point.

There's more Disney films with successful marketable female leads than male leads

They probably COULD make a really good connection with their brand and Peter Pan if they tried, though, but I'm afraid that'd lead to yet another Peter Pan movie (Not even just with Disney. There's a ton since it's a popular stage play).

But Tinkerbell is more marketable.

Basically this. Most of their male leads are pretty blank Prince Charmings.

That said I'd add Naveen to your list of men user.

Boys are more rebellious, they get into things that are violent, "cool", and in some cases even scary, and vulgar at an early age. "family friendly" is not marketable to most adolescent boys after a certain age

Disney tried to compete with the liikes of Batman and X-Men with Gargoyles in the 90s, but none of their classic stuff works that way. They had stuff like Aladdin and Hercules get more branching out and probably did fine, but you can't make that stuff cool in the same sense as say Batman

They tried. It didn't work.

Males don't make sales.

They tried that in the early 00s with Atlantis and Treasure Planet, and those turned to be failures. Basically, the boys demographic was Disney's blindspot for the longest time and which they tried to patch up however possible. That's why they bought Tron, but when THAT failed, they just settled with buying Marvel and Star Wars. And now with Fox, Disney has all bases covered.

>Hercules
>Tarzan
>Jack Skellington
>Wreck It Ralph
>Woody and Buzz
You're not thinking hard enough, senpai.

little girls are stupidly easy to market to. Princess shit will always sell.

I thought Disney settled on the princesses being the girls line after they got Marvel and was going to use that as the boys brand

>Jack Skellington hits the mallgoth demographic not males
>Tarzan isn't as marketable
>Hercules didn't do as well as they hoped at box office, same marketing problem (Villain is better character than the hero)
>Ralph is another one of the newer ones that could change
>Woody and Buzz are viable but they aren't human so they aren't as identifiable as, well, a princess

Add the problem in that unlike the princesses, who have a standard look, there isn't a standard between the stronger male characters. Can you imagine Ralph standing next to Tarzan? I

They were doing that LOOOOONG before marvel.

If little girls are easy to market to explain young justice.

>(Good luck with that one, a lot of people view him as racist now)
I fucking hate PC america

There was even a weird as fuck Disney Heroes action figure line where they tried to "badassify" them.

Their old live action action shows like Davey Crockett used to be popular with boys.

That's why they bought Marvel and Pixar and part of why they bought LucasFilm. So now girls can have lots of princess movies and sitcom shows and boys can see lots of cool superh...

Girls want to be the princess. Boys want to get the princess.
And some boys want to be the princess, but let's not get into that.

Because Snow White jumpstarted their success and Cinderella saved them from bankruptcy while Peter Pan, Bambi, and Pinocchio did not.

Those toys were the closes thing Disney did to what OP is asking about
Too bad they were only sold at disney's parks souvenir stores

fun face anna and elsa are not officially considered as disney princess

fun face star and marco officially considered as disney princesses

nope

Gargoyles was THE SHIT! Why Disney fucking buried it is beyond me. It could have been something big, and deserves a LOT more recognition than it gets.

you forgot kuzko

There was, it was called Disney adventurers

disney.wikia.com/wiki/Disney_Adventurers

Apparently the line had decent sales, but the figures looked like shit compared to the princesses.

the Peter Pan figure is creepy

They actually already tried in the very early 2000s. It was called Disney Adventures line. They released 12" and 6" figures of Peter Pan, Hook, Tarzan, Aladdin, and Hercules. The Disney Store had notebooks, shirts and other merch to promote the line but it went nowhere.
>>Tiana
>Knows the name of the black Disney princess

>The guy from Frozen (the good guy)
>Calls Kristoff "guy from Frozen (the good guy)"

I fucking hate living in 2018

>WALT DISNEY HEROES

That image screams of early 2000s made for tv crap animation. They would be forced to rename the line in these Politically correct times since Disney is now pushing the idea that female characters can be brave heros as well. If the line was still around today they eventually would have had to start including female character to make feminists happy, but that would kinda defeat the idea of an all Disney male line.

apparently ol' Petey Pan there has seen some shit.

So... how come this didn't caught on?

Pan and Hook aren’t exactly the epitome of manly so they must’ve been a very hard sell to young boys that weren’t already fans of Peter Pan.

Honestly, replace them with a combo of Shang, Flynn Rider, or the male cast of BH6 and a reboot of this franchise could work.

Couldn't them redesign them like in ?

Scrolled right past that one the first time around. Yeah maybe with that design Peter Pan could sell well, but Hook still looks too foppish (he is a comedic villain after all).

Also this Beast design was badass too bad nothing came of it.

You forgot

> Beast
> Jim Hawkins
> John Smith
> Li Shang
> Phoebus
> Princes Eric and Philip

>doesn't instantly think of milo

If I (vaguely) correctly remember; these were Disney Store exclusive and pretty pricey.

>replace them with a combo of Shang, Flynn Rider, or the male cast of BH6 and a reboot of this franchise could work.
It wont for this simple fact....

Every little girl dreams of being a princess.
Very few boys dream of being a prince.
It's the same reason most girls dream of being barbie but very few boys dream of being Ken.

Why would any little boy wanna dream of some day being the boring and forgettable accessory on a Disney princesses arm?

Yeah what a great idea

>No personality
>No personality
>No personality
>Steals children
>Street rat
>Loves fish

i remember those

>>Loves fish
Shes not a fish on land, Oz
>>Street rat
Heart of gold

Because they ugly, Disney is for girls and girls wont buy that

Fairy tales are not that popular amongst boys.
They've learned that lesson long time ago.
Princess cartoons are for girls.
That's why they've bought Marvel and start MCU. To have the boys audience.

Those look pretty fucking sweet.

Everyone wants to be the little girl

No one wants to be the little boy

Males in all the Disney cartoons are objificated beyond imagination. They are there just to serve women and please them.
Not a single boy ever dreamed to be such a character.

Who the fuck remembers Milo

>That's why they bought Tron
Uhhh, Tron was ALWAYS Disney-owned. There's a friggin Hidden Mickey in the solar sail scene.

But you're right that they did buy the rights to other boys franchises before Marvel, namely Power Rangers, before they accepted they just couldn't fit that in with their existing brand identity.

Fun Fact: Michael Eisner wanted to buy out Marvel back in the 90s, when there was rumors of the company going bankrupt. The board of directors or whoever vetoed this, so Disney doubled down on trying to make Gargoyles their boys' franchise instead, which is why the Avalon arc is just a series of back-door pilots - they were hoping to make the Disney Action Shared Universe.

Unless that little boy comes with a big girl.

Who am I kidding, everyone wants the little boy but they don't want to be him.