So Namor is now the only Marvel character that Marvel Studios doesn't have access to, right?

So Namor is now the only Marvel character that Marvel Studios doesn't have access to, right?

There's still ROM, The Doctor, Micronauts, Godzilla, Conan, Red Sonja, Kull, GI Joe, and Transformers.

Those were never Marvel characters though. They were characters that Marvel had the license to, not the same thing.

They were part of 616 canon. Hell, Godzilla stuck around even after they lost the license in a mutated legally acceptable form.

That sounds fascinating. Can you elaborate?

GI Joe was never 616 canon.

The version of Set in Marvel is still the Conan version and he plays a big part in Narmor's history.

Quesada said Namor is with Marvel

Through the crossover with Transformers.

And nothing of value was lost.

Not only can Marvel Studios not use him, Marvel cartoons and Marvel videogames can't either. He hasn't been in any cartoon or game since 2006, even in ones with dozens or hundreds of characters, or ones where Attuma, an Atlantean Namor villain, shows up.
He's had some Marvel Legends action figures, but that's it. Namor can't be used in other media for some reason.

They later explained that it was more complicated than that. Plus, see above.

>In Iron Man #193, one of Godzilla's primary antagonists from the original series, mad scientist Doctor Demonicus, captures and mutates Godzilla further so that he no longer resembles his Toho namesake. This altered version of the monster first appeared in Iron Man #193 and would return in #194 and #196. His last appearance was in The Thing #31, where he is actually referred to as Godzilla (although it is not known if the person saying this actually knows that he is Godzilla or if this is just an example of the name possibly being used to refer to any big green dinosaur, regardless of what it is).

There's like 3 Marvel versions of Transformers:
>The original mini-series is 616
>The ongoing series (which had the GI Joe crossover) is an independent universe from 616
>The Marvel UK Transformers books are their own separate continuity from the US series (and they had a crossover with the UK version of the Joes: Action Force).

Good. Attuma can easily be used for an Atlantis v Wakanda scenarion in BP2 & we easily disgard the "love triangle" in the F4. It's perfect. Fuck that fishman.

Isn't Death's Head from the UK Transformers? That serves as a connection.

I never could understand the appeal of mermen.
>Underwater character, so cool.
No it's not.
Underwater andventures of underwater characters is the most retarded thing that ever came from comic book industry.
There is nothing but fishies under the sea!

Seriously though, what the fuck is up?
I remember reading that Universal bought the rights for Waterworld because the character is "the Mariner" and a mutant who can superswim, but that can't be it, right?

Why aren't Attuma's rights attached to Namor?

Why they sold all his rights like that?

Jesus that art.
Get help Namorfag.

Thank god for that. No one wants to see that second rate Aquaman.

Yes, but then he got teleported to the Marvel Doctor Who universe who then took him to 616 where he's been stuck ever since. What are you trying to get at?

Marvel went bankrupt in the 90s; they tried to recoup their losses by selling film rights.

Is that a son of Spock and Aquaman?

Isn’t Aquaman technically a second rate Namor?

>it's a "Satan is a newfag" episode

I think I had a point, but I've been drinking and can't remember it now.

>Let's not forget that Michael Jackson wanted to buy Marvel itself after he heard about the company going bankrupt so he could make an official Spider-Man movie starring himself.

Second but more popular version of Namor.
Namor 2.0

Fortunately nobody gives a shit about Namor

Aquaman is objectively a better character.

I heard that rumor too, but it sounds kind of implausible to me and remains unconfirmed. Surprised that the Comic Book Legends guy from CBR hasn't covered this one yet.

He more recently appeared in Mighty Avengers #1 (where he somehow returned to how he looked originally) and Uncanny X-Men #506-507 (where he returned mutated even more than ever).

This is what he currently looks like.

You forgot that later on the mutated "godzilla" is captured by Dr. Takiguchi in Uncanny X-men #506 and mutated into the Leviathan that gets killed by Archangel.

So in the Marvel universe Godzilla manhandles The Champions, Shield, Red Ronin, The Fantastic Four, Devil Dinosaur, and the Avengers/FF team of Vision, Iron Man, Thor, Human Torch, Wasp and Yellowjacket only to be killed BY FUCKING ANGEL.

Because he's blond?

Doesn't universal still own the Hulk rights? I think Marvel can use him but cant make a stand alone because Universal still has the rights.

Yeah I believe that's also why they can't do anything with She-Hulk.

Somebody made a Venn diagram a few years ago of all the ownership of rights but I don't think I saved it.

>and mutated into the Leviathan that gets killed by Archangel.

I deny your truth.

I feel sorry for your imagination

This thing?

The miniseries and the ongoing series are the same universe, the ongoing even continues the mini's numbering. Savage Land is featured post-mini too.

>Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 has Attuma, but no Namor
>They have a huge underwater city, but it's Lemuria, not Atlantis

>Narmor's
I need to see Sub-Mariner straining to swim under a hundred pounds of Stark tech now

No because Authur is a good guy while Namor is a bad guy doing good sometimes.

That has nothing to do with being a good character.

DUUUUURRRRRR

i did read years ago that back in the 80s when Brigitte nielson was set to play she-hulk in a movie (but got canceled and never made) she also bought (partial) rights of she-hulk.
she still wants to play that role (even though she is over 60)

Fantastic Four still exists and Disney still doesn't have the rights to them.

That is what make him uninteresting, aquaman is basically king Arthur from underwater.

When is this meme gonna end?
Disney got the rights to the F4 movies too you fucks
It's been stated at least several hundred times by now with proof

Kind of iffy given as the Marvel Transformers continuity completely diverged from 616 canon as time went on. The last half and Regeneration One are completely incompatible with it.

Yes they were. The Joes met Jonah Jameson at one point and butt heads with SHIELD.

Multiversal traveler. He originated in the Marvel Transformers universe and traveled to 616 later.

It diverges further with the sequels.
Beast Wars (arguably), Generation 2, and Regeneration One are all separate follow-ups to the Marvel continuity.

So do we just not know where his rights are? I remember people talking years ago about how it was complicated because he's primarily a Fantastic Four character, but also a mutant, but Disney owns both FF and X-Men so that wouldn't be an issue.

WB also considered buying it. IIRC they went so far as to have creatives draft up some preliminary ideas for merging Marvel and DC.
I often wonder what the industry would be like today if Marvel and DC had been merged in the 90s. Suppose the old Marvel VS DC event could have been a sort of Crisis event to make that happen in-universe.

I like him because T'Challa doesn't like him and T'Challa is a humorless elitist cock

>a humorless elitist cock

you shouldn't talk about yourself like that user

Good one Jamal

>where he's been stuck ever since.
what about him currently being in the IDW Transformerverse?

I wouldn't count that as a Marvel crossover. However, there were two sort-of crossovers between it and Marvel:

One was JJJ showing up in an issue of GI Joe, and the other was Duke showing up in an issue of Amazing Spider-Man (a Secret Wars II tie-in where that building was turned into gold by the Beyonder; they never outright say it's Duke but it looks like him).

You're partly right, it goes like this:

Original miniseries + some number of issues = 616. After the miniseries there were some other connections with 616, like Circuit Breaker showing up in Secret Wars II and the revelation that Shockwave and the Dinobots had been buried in the Savage Land for millions of years before being revived in the 1980's.

I'd say Secret Wars II was the cutoff point for the Hasbro stuff being in 616 (especially since there was an SW2 tie-in issue of ASM with Duke in it)

The rest of the ongoing + TF/Joe crossover is independent from 616, though JJJ does show up in an issue of GI Joe.

UK is definitely separate from the US continuity and is where Death's Head ended up. Also it's the universe where Quick Kick trained with Shang-Chi at some point.

If I had to choose one to put in their movie universe it'd be ROM

Deaths Head isn't in IDW. He most recently appeared in something Gillen wrote for Marvel. Iron Man I want to say.

Yeah, he was there, he also showed up in some other Marvel stuff like S.W.O.R.D.

Who owns the movie rights anyways?