You know...

You know, it’s not just that Gotham could’ve been an awesome show and that all it needed to be was a police procedural in a completely corrupt city whose star citizens were just murdered in an alley in front of their only son. It’s not just that it’s essentially a Batman show without Batman. It’s also that every change or invention that they’ve made to the actual Batman canon has been far inferior to the original.

Fuck one hundred percent of this show.

What did they do to your precious Batgod?

I have up on Gotham partway through the first season. They layered on the "IT'S A REFERENCE, GET IT?" too thick. Does the show ever get over that?

I feel like if they got rid of Bruce plus all references to Batman and the canon at large, and changed the names a bit, it'd make for a great show. "Normal every-man tries to survive wacky, exotic, dangerous environment" + "good cop, bad city" is a pretty cool combo.

Gotham is not a Batman show, it's a Gotham show
Bruce is a side character to the city itself, deal with it, it's not like Batman is interesting as a character to begin with, his only appeal is his dark gothic city and villains rooted in outdated but appealing cliches of organized crime

>it's not like Batman is interesting as a character to begin with,
He is

>Fuck one hundred percent of this show.
Even sexy young catwoman?

How casual can you get? This is what a normie would say about the Batman mythos. Is your exposure to the character just the movies?

No he's not. He's a bore and a self righteous narcissist when you get right down to it. The irony of it all is that he really is simple, just a spoiled rich kid who places his own needs above others despite his whole thing being that he's more than that

>all it needed to be was a police procedural
People keep saying this, but the fact is Gotham's ratings didn't go up until it stopped being that.

>my perception is the only right one

Fuck that noise, that "only Batman's villains and city are cool" noise is just bullshit pushed by a generation of edgy fag kids who grew up going TIM BURTON UNDERSTANDS MEEEEE, I LIKE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS BECAUSE I'M WEEEEEIRD, AND PEOPLE MAKE FUN OF ME CUZ I'M WEEEEEIRD, JUST LIKE THE PENGUIN! or whatever the fuck, then they grow up and see UNF YEAH GAY TWENTYSOMETHING FUCCBOI PENGUIN: THE SHOW, THIS IS JUST LIKE MY ARKHAM ASYLUM SLASH FICTION

I dunno how to tell you this but, everything about Batman's cast and setting is a direct response to the character himself. The city became more and more gothic and shittier over time to better complement its hero, the villains were always meant to work first and foremost as foils for Batman. You can enjoy them as characters, but arguing that they, and Gotham City, can exist independently of Batman is asinine. Gordon? He's Bruce Wayne's first confidante, the original ally from Detective Comics #27. Bullock? He's the fat, sloppy, book-dumb cop specifically to better contrast the World's Greatest Detective.

The problem is the show wants all of toys and fun parts but not the work that would go into a show about Batman Year One or Long Halloween. This version of Bruce is not only easier to write but easier on the budget.

If it was just a police procedural set in Gotham what is the difference between any other police procedural? You need villains with masks and gimmicks to make it a DC show. And since most of Gotham's masked/gimmicked villains came about after/in reaction to Batman, you need to fudge the details a little for the show and make them come about before Batman. Just accept it as an Elseworlds where the comic continuity has nothing to do with it, but they take what they can use from the mythos. it's pretty entertaining when you look at it like that.

What is their to ponder about the Batman if he's interesting? He is as black and white as a character can get, there is no grey area or room for exploration, he's a spoiled fuck who can't get over his dead parents, and uses his dead parents to feel like he isn't a spoiled fuck. Without that, he is nothing, his whole alter ego is just one big hissy fit under the guise of heroism, and just like a kid throwing a tantrum they get off on the attention they get for it no matter how many dishes they broke in the process

>character has stood the test of time for nearly a century
>not interesting

wew lad

I haven't watched the most recent season of the show yet because I'm waiting for it on Netflix. But this show has given Penguin the best origin story in the history of the character.

Gotham is fun and has one of the best interpretations of Penguin.
Yes.

Except for making him gay I like what they did with him and Riddler. Mr Freeze, Firefly, Scarecrow, Mad Hatter were also done really well.

They could have very easily made it a Police Procedural show set when Batman is active, where the focus is on GCPD detectives who deal with minor supervillains and mobsters while The Caped Crusader is busy capturing Joker for the nth time. That's actually what I thought Gotham was going to be when I first heard about it.

Do you realize that every single character can be stripped down to a cynical a-couple-sentences description like this?

Yes. Also, the show gets better with each season.

The current season has been the best so far.

>I LIKE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS BECAUSE I'M WEEEEEIRD

Talk about being out of touch. Kids these days don't give a shit about any of that now. That shit died in '06. Teens now are all about being e-famous and mimicking normie shit on youtube.

Try it with Superman, Spider-Man, Wolverine,I'd like to hear

I feel Spider-Man will be the easiest

It would be interesting seeing cops deal with the real life legal consequences of trying to arrest and charge criminals who had been captured by extra-legal masked vigilantes.

>grew up going I LIKE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS BECAUSE I'M WEEEEEIRD

It would have been so fucking cool if instead of all the "Batvillains but they're like kids or something" shit it was full of Golden Age Detective Comics stuff.

Major villains would be Ching Lung, Solomon Grundy, young Penguin could stay and the Frank Miller mobsters could stay.

You'd get cameos/supporting roles from Slam Bradley, Crimson Avenger, Speed Saunders, maybe even Detective John Jones and Alan Scott.

I understand they probably don't have the rights to most of those characters, though, and of course no one would watch it if it wasn't full of modern Bat bullshit.

>there is no grey area or room for exploration
The "grey area" is that some people, like you, see him as just a spoiled rich kid, but he objectively saves people's lives (when the story isn't written by a complete hack). The argument of "Is Batman a hero because he fights crime, or is that ultimately self-serving, and if he's saving lives by doing so, does it matter?" is the DEFINITION of "grey area" you fucking simpleton.

Gotham Central is everything you and I wanted this show to be, and I've been saying WB should adapt this for over a fucking decade now.

>It's popular so it's objectively good.