Why does the MCU keep killing off their villains?

Why does the MCU keep killing off their villains?

Why the fuck wouldn't they. It's been 10 years and we have seen only a handful. You would have preferred to see even less by recycling?

I'd prefer to see more of the good and less of the mediocre. Look at Darth Vader, he carried Star Wars more than the protagonists at times. A good villain can do a lot to a series. (inb4 not every bad guy need be Vader... Not saying that, I'm saying don't underestimate their contribution).

only like two people in that picture are dead

I'm looking at that pic and the only character I sorta wish were still around is MAYBE Red Skull

Abomination and the Leader are still alive. Yet they haven't brought them back. I think it has less to do with Marvel killing its villains and more to do with them wanting new villains in every movie and having no interest in repeating past ones (except Loki because stupid American slags cream themselves at the sound of a British accent).

I'd like Hammer brought back/used as a "guy who supplies the bad guys with weapons because fuck Stark now" that's a small, fun way to reprise a role and make the universe feel alive outside it's main parts.

They're messing opportunities not using Abomination again because he can create huge bad ass Hulk-tier fights. This sells toys and stuff too. Not reusing some of the villains is a waste and it also cuts away what makes the source material interesting for readers. Comics have survived by letting the villains live... ironically.

>Why does the MCU keep killing off their villains?
>Literally a quarter of the villlains in Op's pic are still alive, excluding Loki being on there twice

What did he mean by this?

Because if no one dies there is no stakes. And the only reason to leave villains alive is to reuse them. Reusing the same villains gets old. Look at Magneto in X-Men. Every fucking movie is Magneto and his moral struggles, I'm sick of it.

Some villains have worked good in repeated movies, Loki is great. Red Skull would be great to see have a main role again in the future, but only because we've waited so long. If they did every Cap movie about him we'd be bored of him by now.

Also although I like MCU, one of the things they do worst is villains. Most are not likeable and you don't have sympathy for them or see their point of view. You should be able to see why the villain is how he is and feel emotions for them even if you also hate him. Loki was good. The Vulture was sort of good I guess. And if you count TV/Netflix, Kingpin, Kilgrave and Grant Ward were good. Everyone else has been pretty bad and superficial. You wouldn't even want them to stick around for another movie.

Why does DC keep killing their villains? Zodd, Doomsday, Steppenwolf, Nicholson Joker, Zodd again, Paralalax, Raas, Bane,... list goes on.

I count seven out of fourteen.

A lot of the dudes playing the villains sign up for a single movie and don't really care to come back.

It's a Hollywood thing, actually
Focus testing shows that people feel blueballed if the villain doesn't die at the end

This one I'm not sure of, but it's possible Disney execs are also afraid that people will feel they can't watch a new movie if they haven't seen all the prequels, that's another classic Hollywood thing. I imagine Fiege fights a lot with execs over stuff like that since he knows investment in the franchise is what actually gets people to go see every movie.

>Because if no one dies there is no stakes. And the only reason to leave villains alive is to reuse them. Reusing the same villains gets old.

I don't see why death needs to be the only stake raiser. It's not in real life when people commit crimes or do bad things they're killed for it. We bad guys that stick around for long periods of time, some that justice never even comes to them. They get away with what they did.

I'd like to see that more with villains. I'd like to see the villains win. Not because I'm pro-evil but because it defines part of the nature of evil and what it is. Evil is what happens when people get away with doing harm to each other or continue to do so.

Movies are not comic books. Actors get older, CGI gets better, so they'll have to reboot universe eventually. New reboot - new versions of killed villains. There's enough villains in Marvel to feed on heroes for decades. Then reboot and repeat.
Also there's no death in Marvel. Anyone can return if needed this much.

This too. The audience thinks it needs "closer" by seeing the bad guy die. I think it's immature actually. It's like their imaginations need the trigger to tell you "he's the bad guy because he lost at the end!" It's not like someone can be a bad guy and then fly off before anyone can actually just kill them.

>Why does the MCU keep killing off their villains?

Because the villains are usually played by expensive big name celebrities who won't be attainable for more than 1 movie. If the role requires extensive prosthetics and makeup, then you can be sure they won't want to appear more than once (Weaving).

The better question is why the villains must always be an "evil opposite" of the hero.
>Iron Monger
>Abomination
>Red Skull
>Yellowjacket
>Kaecilius
>Killmonger

So fucking bored with that.

>
This is why it's important to limit your time here. It warps your perception of the human race and eventually turns you into a cynical dickhead by virtue of just constantly being frustrated with other people.

I meant "closure"

Man I don't even remember half of these fucks.

But they're yet to make a good one.
Consider as well the fact they simply have no place for this, already many if the heroes get sidetracked.

You know the majority of the characters in that pic are still alive right? Anyone who thinks Zola is dead is fucking brainlet

Nothing ever ends

>10 Rings guy
Dead, but also a nobody henchman
>Ironmonger
Dead
>General Ross
Alive
>Leader
Alive
>Abomination
Alive
>Red Skull
Dematerialized, but easy out to still be alive
>Zola
Blown up, but easy out to still be alive
>Destroyer
Dead, but never really live in the first place
>Whiplash
Dead
>Justin Hammer
Alive
>Loki
Alive
>Thanos
Alive
>Some Frost Giant guy
Dead? Alive? Who cares, he was never important
>Hooded guy
Alive, but also a nobody henchman for Thanos

That collage sucks at making your point for you, OP.

>>Hooded guy
>Alive

Did you forget the part where Ronan killed him?

only the boring ones were killed off. it doesnt really matter. but red skull is alive for sure, zemo is still around, and soon we'll have based DOOM. they fucked up killing off crossbones, grillo was really ace in that role

Leader never even got to become Leader in terms of movie canon (tie-in comics or whatever don't count).

Yeah but imagine Dr. Doom just wrecking everyone over and over and they never truly beat him or get rid of him, it was a doombot or Doom faking his death or Doom getting bored and checking out of the fight like he does wants he gets what he came for.

A great actor in that role to make it really convincing would be fun for the audience.