Why are so many superheroes confined to New York City or fictional equivalents? You get the occasional guy in LA...

Why are so many superheroes confined to New York City or fictional equivalents? You get the occasional guy in LA, but aside from that there's no supervillain crime anywhere else.

You don't read comics.

Didn't we just have this thread?

A glitch in the matrix

Marvel and DC were both based out of NY.
Marvel's NY is actually bonkers -- the BEast once estimated that there were, like, 400 superhumans active in the NY area? (Includes supervillains.) And that was 20 years ago.

I thought DC was in Santa Monica, CA but they're actually in Burbank?

because the Marvel and DC headquarters were in NYC so thats what the writers knew

also NYC just lends itself so well to larger than life stories since it IS a larger than life city with skyscrapers everywhere like some video game shit

Because most comic writers and artists, especially in the Golden Age, were NYC natives.
There's just something about the place that breeds creativity.

>Why are so many superheroes confined to Earth?
Fixed that for you. I'm from Earth, and frankly, I'm dead fucking tired of this place and all its bullshit. I'd like to see comics taking place on other planets.

Even books about alien characters take place mostly on Earth, and its BORING. That was one of the main reasons I had no interest whatsoever in Starfire's solo series. Because comics people are lazy cunts, and coming up with details for other worlds is haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard. Boring, lazy sacks of garbage.

This is more of a Marvel problem than it is a DC one. DC heroes are scattered all of the US.

DC originally had an office down the street from Marvel, but it was decided by WB that they wanted them closer, so they moved the office out to Burbank.

That's where the comics companies are.

Marvel's NY should be a bombed out, blasted wasteland at this point.

So, regular New York, then?

This. New York is a shity city, and the Earth is nothing special.

Metropolis is NY
Gotham is NJ

In Marvel, they specifically wanted them to be in NYC because it made them feel like all their books were set in the same place. That's all there is to it.

Metropolis is Delaware

>I'm from Earth,

Yeah right. Anyone can claim anything on the internet.

tfw no Austin City super heroes. I can name of five.
>Horse-guy
>Hoop Girl
>The Drunk Avenger
>Craggletooth and her band of Hobos
>The God of Texas

Years ago when Secret Wars was going on, I wrote up my own autistic reboot/version of the Marvel Universe and I remember wanting to spread out the heroes across America. Went something like this:

>New York City
Spider-Man
Moon Knight
Daredevil
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
Iron Fist
Fantastic Four

>Los Angeles
Iron Man
Deadpool
Hawkeye

>San Francisco
X-Men

>Seattle
Ant-Man&Wasp

>Chicago
Punisher

>Boston
Dr. Strange

>Washington D.C
Cap and Falcon

>Dallas
Captain Marvel

>Phoenix
Hulk

>Broxton, Oklahoma
Thor

Kaine was pretty close, in Houston.

Not in Austin, not weird enough.

Aren't most DC cities actually amalgams? Like Central City is basically Chicago mixed with pre-rustbelt Detroit, etc.

Didn't Marvel eventually try for geographic diversity?
West Coast Avengers?
Great Lakes Avengers?

And DC had Justice League Europe.
And Justice League Antarctica (where they assigned all the losers.)

Where would Spider-Man swing if there were no skyscrapers?
Only advantage of setting a comic in, say, Kansas, is that the artist doesn't have to draw backgrounds. A single horizon line and that's it.

I thought Central City was supposed to be St. Louis? Gotham seemed most like Chicago to me (mixed with the shitty parts of Manhattan).

I have this sudden urge to run a teen supers campaign using Mutants & Masterminds 2nd, set in Detroit. This image really summed up a theme of the setting sharply.

Thanks user.

I think that was the idea behind Damage Control.

>tfw Indianapolis never represented

I thought Gotham was implied to be chicago?

it depends on who's writing the story

in the 1989 film gotham was clearly ny/nj as the statue of liberty is visible. btas is the same universe

but in the nolanverse gotham is clearly chicago

Why would it be, there's a lot better cities to represent than Indy

Central City is supposed to be Kansas City which is where I live, coincidentally

Central is KCMO, Keystone is KCK

dont hate

appreciate

Nolan did absolutely no research though, which is why those movies turned out to be such shit.

>There's just something about the place that breeds creativity.
Or, ya know, if you wanted to get into the industry that's where you needed to live.

Sorta like getting into the movies and moving to LA or Country music and Nashville.

>in the 1989 film gotham was clearly ny/nj as the statue of liberty is visible. btas is the same universe

Don't forget they had Ed Koch as mayor.

Yeah, but the vast majority of Golden Age greats were born in NYC, they didn't just move there.