What is Sup Forums's opinion on the Rankin/Bass shared universe?

What is Sup Forums's opinion on the Rankin/Bass shared universe?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Rankin_Jr.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Bass
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's better than the DCEU

Oddly ahead of it's time for having super villains and big combo adventures.

It was simply limited by the technology of its time.

Saw that exact one on the other night, and I had forgot how much like some Lord of the Rings level magic and evil was floating around in their version of s Christmasverse.

R/B christmas cartoons were the best christmas cartoons of the 1900's. Yes that includes Charlie Brown, Grinch, Chipmunks, etc. But those each are perfect themselves, at what they are and for who they're meant for. Different ages, different likes, etc. It's understandable to want to defend, say, Charlie Brown's Christmas. But they lack the majesty, though have more modern family friendliness, then the R/B stop-motion works. Time has proven stop motion superior then today's CGI, as well. Why do you think Nightmare before christmas is so well received?

Weeeellllll....

I mean, I do agree, stop motion basically has a fully timeless quality to it, but, I cant say I would not want to see these given a HUGH budget Disney treatment.

Hollywood does tend to ruin anything.

>Gets treated like shit for his entire life.
>Gets no support from friends or Family
>Santa allows all of this to happen

Rudolph should have told Santa he could go fuck himself when he asked for help.

What sort of holiday spirit is that? He gets to help the guy who gives out all the presents. That should get him noticed for the good list.

would you prefer a 2D Rankin Bass version of all three Lord of the Rings movies

Or
A stop motion Lord of the Rings movie?

Pretty trippy. Blew my mind as a kid.

We already have a 2D Rankin Bash LotR, so, Stop Motion.

Have fun animating Shelob.

I love all their Christmas movies.
Sad that the last few years less have been played.
Life and Times of Santa Claus is the hardest to find on tv with Jack Frost following in a close 2nd and The First Christmas Snow.
I think my favorite is still Year Without a Santa Claus though. Jack Frost is a very close 2nd.

Rudolph led the sleigh for the children, not Santa. Rudolph is a true hero.

It's always a bit harder to catch the movies every year. Going to have to find a torrent or something so I can get them on disc.

Hobbit and Return of the King were Rankin Bass
Lord of the Rings was Bakshi

Catching Return of the King on Disney Channel when I was an infant was my intro to all of that Tolkien stuff. It felt really badass for some reason.

Not sure why I like Jack Frost so much. I always get pissed that he gets that Little Mermaid ending and can't get the girl. Ah well, she was kind of a dum dum and he's immortal. He's better off.

It probably has to do with me being raised on public domain cartoon tapes, and always being a Fleischer nut due to that, but I always preferred the short to the special

I have a weird hate for Frosty's Winter Wonderland. Just hearing how they altered the song is enough to make me turn the tv off.

This guy only gets to live one day a year and he's already crying over a bitch on his second day.

Fuck I have this on some ancient VHS.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Rankin_Jr.
Died 2014.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Bass
Still alive...younger than Rankin Jr.

>Rudolph voluntarily goes into exile so doesn't keep getting shit for the rest of his life
>matures, chooses to return home after a fairly decent life among other misfit peers
>learns that Clarice and his mother went out looking for him and were captured by the Bumble
>Rudolph goes out alone to save them, and his misfit friends come to his aid and they save the day + reform the Bumble
>Santa ends up swallowing his pride and apologizes for the shit he gave him as a kid, and resigns that maybe that Christmas can be canceled like it isn't even that big a loss
>AND THEN considers Rudolph's nose, and offers him a chance to save Christmas, which is literally the one thing every reindeer aspires to do
Why would he ever turn Santa down in this context? He was literally handing Rudolph the job offer of a lifetime and a guaranteed status that'd dwarf even the most popular among his boyhood peers. What did you want Rudolph to do, start autistically screeching like a maniac and start reenacting the holocaust from "Carrie"?

Like most shared universes its a great idea but underwhelming execution.

The Christmas in July special is pretty bad.

Jack Frost being cucked explains why he's such a bitter little creep that's butthurt about seeing two snowmen fall in love in Frosty's Winter Wonderland

Jessica Claus is my waifu.

Didn't watch all of them, but have Jack Frost and the Snow Miser ever met?