Is lolsorandom humour inherently bad...

Is lolsorandom humour inherently bad? I feel like Spongebob was pretty influential in that absurd/non-sequitur comedy that all Sup Forums and internet children were trying to emulate in the 00s, but the show itself was well-written and moments like these were often hilarious. So is lolsorandom underrated/unfairly vilified? Can you name any other good examples of this kind of thing?

absurd/non-sequitur comedy =/= lolsorandom

Really good surrealist humor is the best thing in the world Lolsorandum is just that done poorly. Shouldn't discount the good stuff.

lolsorandom humor is where the punchline has nothing to do whatsoever with the setup of the joke. I think a lot of people mistake wackiness for randomness. Spongebob and Invader Zim actually don't have a lot of randomness.

No it's not inherently bad, but a good sense of comedic timing is necessary for it to actually funny. See

Spongebob isnt lol random

If anything it was invader zim that pioneered it

the thing about zim is that gir legitimately was funny at the time, but it was retroactively ruined by the annoying fanbase which makes it nearly intolerable to listen to now

What separates lolsorandum with non-sequitor or absurdism is that random humor is NOT random, but rather spouting a funny sounding word almost always out of some kind of pool of known funny sounding words ("waffles", "moose", other shit you used to hear teenage girls parrot before memes became the hot new thing), almost always delivered by screaming.

It was, at the time, the approximate equivalent of using internet memes today. It's just shallow humor that isn't funny on its own.

>all this zimposting
I think you guys are overlooking the real villain here

I never found Gir funny, even when I was in that lolsorandom phase. Zim and Dib's interactions were great though, as were the supporting cast (Membrane and the Tallest come to mind).

Anything humorous can be defined as getting an unexpected payoff in a narrative.
Lolsorandom humor often times just opens another narrative and ends it prematurely, it's up to you if you find it funny or not.

Pre-movie Spongebob is a great example in how to show surrealist jokes that are funny to anyone. Post-movie spongebob only has him crying or laughing excessively so even kids with down syndrome can understand them

>Post-movie spongebob only has him crying or laughing excessively so even kids with down syndrome can understand them
Don't forget all the running around and screaming.

the newer episodes are decent to good

It's a type of humor that can lose its edge pretty quickly so it needs to be applied in small dosis or added sporadically and unexpectedly in the episode.One of the best examples I can recall of this done well is in Duckman, there are counted episodes where shit is really down to earth and serious when suddenly something outragesly absurd happens out of the blue but the show returns to it's normal tone after the 5 second joke.

t.Kid with down syndrome

But seriously bro, how can you defend that slop?

Thats a great image

You can be weird and wacky without being off the walls completely LOL TEH PENGUINOFDOOM *Holds up spork* XD random. Context, intent, and comedic delivery / timing make all the difference. Making a joke with more than one layer, or making a joke that does not need to rely on pop culture references is usually enough to get the ball rolling in the right direction.

Off the top of my head, I would say early SpongeBob, seasons one and two of Chowder, and the the more Steve-centric episodes of post season 1 American Dad are all more modern examples of wacky yet not quite LOLSORANDOM territory of animations that hold their own well.

Like all humor it's only funny when you don't see it coming. When it's predictable, it's just lame.

Fear of a Krabby Patty and Krusty Towers were decent episodes, and those were recent.

Even lolrandom-type of humor needs proper setup and pacing. Gag-a-minute format is already obnoxious but mixing it with lolrandom humor makes it pure unfunny cancer.

Pudding.

Random humor is pretty funny if not every joke is based on it.

>zim

Things aren't ruined by their fanbases unless the fanbases change the way the show is for the worse.

>recent
>came out 12-13 years ago

Any style of humor, written and deployed properly, can be funny. The problem with lolsonrandom humor is brainlets who think it literally means complete randomly and thus don't put any thought into writing it, on the assumptions that any amount of thinking means it's no longer truly random. Great examples of lolsorandom came amount because genuine effort and creativity went into them.

I hope by "newer episodes" you're referring to the ones after season 9.

>recent
t. retarded

Why is mermaid man like twice barnacle boy's height?

too many krabby patties

he meant season 9

lolsorandom is observational humor in its lowest form. It tries to make the viewer laugh by pointing out that a word sounds funny or that some action is silly with little to no regard for the audience's mindset.
Absurdism/non-sequitur is basically slapping the audience's expectations/logic in the face.

American Dad is trash, and the same goes for anything else created by Seth Macfarlane.

Literally only 15 year olds and retarded people like his shows. Which one are you?

The one who doesn't generalize based on the performance of recent Family Guy and/or Orvile.

>tastelet spotted

>lolsorandom
people still use this term?

wow

All of his shows are just edgy simpsons, and none of them are funny.

I've seen a couple episodes of the newest season because people were praising it so much. It definitely is a lot better than its been in the last decade, but the style of humor is pretty different than classic Spongebob. I'd keep it on in the background, but wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

Yes, this!

It was drawn by the crewniverse

Most people that watch nu-SpongeBob weren't even born when those episodes came out.

what does non sequitur mean?
Tried googling it but I'm too stupid to get it.

Why would you want to discuss this here, a place where quality is judged on who does the joke rather than what the joke is?
Sup Forums and especially Sup Forums's """standards""" for humor are inconsistent at best. I mean shit, people around here think fucking Youtube poops are funny.

Latin for "Does not follow"

well it means doesn't follow logic.

In the logical sense it's used about arguments like...If thing a is true then thing b cant be true.

Or like...People died from violence before guns, therefore guns arent dangeous.

But the way that we're talking about it now is as a literary or comedic device. In which it more translates to it does not follow.

Basically something that's disconnected or unapparent from the regular events, its absurd or for lack of a better word random.

It's hard to mark the distinction between good non sequitur or absurd humor and lolsorandom because by definition they're the same shit. But when you see either it becomes more apparent.

>Is lolsorandom humour inherently bad?
What the bicycle!? you're inherently bad you pooploop

thanks for the lesson.
That makes me appreciate spongebob even more.

t. Tastelet whose only watched Family Guy

Go back to ifunny any time, kiddo

Well, non sequitor in logic means they're not related at all. Your gun example is more just a false conclusion. Non sequitor would be more like "guns kill people therefore gay marriage should be the only marriage allowed."

Not just a false conclusion, but unrelated conclusion.

>implying
the audience changed, therefore the characters had to change, you dunb fuck

>I mean shit, people around here think fucking Youtube poops are funny.
shit taste confirmed

you've probably watching too many bad videos, go back way to the beginning and watch SuperYoshi's stuff and you'll see why it was funny to begin with. Oh and if you don't laugh you're just a pleb

>Fear of a Krabby Patty
>recent

that episode came out in 2005, it's more than a decade old.

>episodes that came 11 years ago
>recent
>pic related

His example was apt, it's about a conclusion which doesn't follow the arguments' premises.

>Not just a false conclusion, but unrelated conclusion
His example was invalid because its conclusion didn't follow its premises, it happened to also be false. Non-sequiters in logic are about structural validity.

Sir I reject your notion and instead raise the propostion that my house is made of monkey cheese.

>is that gir legitimately was funny at the time

Ah yes, laughing at intentionally shitty editing of Mario cartoons, how patrician.
This is exactly what I was talking about, people like you shouldn't be allowed to pretend they have standards for humor.

I was never involved with the fanbase when I first watched it a few years ago and I found GIR pretty tolerable.

he set it to wumbo

For the best examples of non-sequitur in a cartoon, watch Freakazoid.