It explains it but doesn't excuse it

DUDE MY MOMMY WAS MEAN TO ME SO I ACT LIKE AN ASSHOLE TOWARDS EVERYONE
FEEL BAD FOR ME LMAO

no one actually sympathizes with this character right?

No, we simply enjoy the show like regular people without autism.

>It explains it but doesn't excuse it
Good job OP, you figured out the thing they keep hammering into the audiences over and over for 4 seasons now.

All other characters are worse and some people still like them.

Like who? The only one you could argue is the worse is Diana, and while she is a piece of shit she didn't remotely have giant fuck ups like Bojack.

I guess there's his mom which, yeah I guess she is far worse.

So are Diane and Bojack getting together and making each other miserable next season?

I hope not.
What I do hope is that Todd will be put on a bus, to some ace sanctuary or some shit. Yay!

Flawed characters are supposed to have reasons for their actions, that doesn't always justify the actions or mean the writers want you to excuse them. Even when their reasons dont justify their actions you can still sympathize with them.

studies show that verbal abuse can be worse than physical abuse.

so you've got the producers of a show that don't understand that, and an audience that doesn't understand it either, and so similar themes can be repeated each season.

>no one actually sympathizes with this character right?

have you been abused, OP?

furthermore, you can tell that the producers and the audience have never had a sexual encounter as a mature teen with an adult that was a positive experience. many people watching and making this show don't actually know what abuse is and the differences between different kinds of abuse.

Todd and Peanut Butter are flawed, but good people.

He's just sympathetic enough for the audience to feel disappointed in him when he fucks up, but not enough that they feel sorry for him when he makes his own misery.

You don't have to excuse a character's behavior to sympathize with them either.
That's what Christianity is supposed to be about.

not if you read the sermon on the mount.

end of one paragraph: "try not to get angry"

next paragraph: "IF YOU LUST FOR A WOMAN RIP YOUR FUCKING EYES OUT!"

Hey, ripping your eyes out has nothing to do with sympathy or forgiving someone else's sins.
Forgive others, but never yourself. That's my motto.

>not forgiving yourself

i've actually had counselors tell me i have a punitive super ego.

i'm fairly certain you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

wat

I thought it was about being blackmailed into worship

you brought up what you thought christianity was supposed to be

you then said that you shouldn't forgive yourself. disregarding having sympathy for your self's flaws and sins

it's the same hardline dumbassery. you can be hard on yourself but not forgiving yourself is fucking retarded.

who wrote this? Boogie2988?

With a little Humđť“Şn Empđť“Şthy you'd probably notice that I have the same issue your counselors "diagnosed" you with.
What I believe for myself isn't necessarily the same that I believe to hold true for others. In fact, that's the whole thought behind the concept. That's the underlining problem behind narcissistic disorders.

And "what I believe it means" is simply what it says, and what subsequently scholars have said it says. Others' sins are not for you to judge. I'm sure it says something about not treating yourself like shit and being an egotistical cunt but... Well. I'm a cunt.

Either way, moral of the story is that the person isn't necessarily the act. You can sympathize with them despite what they do. You can even pity them for being stuck the way they are. It's a noble concept, but it can also dehumanize a person, and even reinforce a victim complex.

You don't have to sympathize with every aspect of a character to sympathize with them on relatable issues. Maybe your parents were assholes, maybe you hurt a friend a long time ago, maybe the person who understands you better than anyone else is already in a relationship, maybe you wonder if the last, greatest thing you did will be the greatest thing you ever do and you're just coasting from here on out, maybe you feel like a broken person and you're not sure if life led you there or if you were always this way. There are lots of things to relate to there that don't excuse Bojack being an asshole, but at the same time that's just one more thing to relate to: how do you come back from being a huge dick to the people who care about you?

>You can’t keep doing this! You can’t keep doing shitty things, and then feel bad about yourself like that makes it okay! You need to be better!
>You are all the things that are wrong with you. It’s not the alcohol, or the drugs, or any of the shitty things that happened to you in your career, or when you were a kid. It’s you.
It's made pretty clear that Bojack is his own worst enemy in the end.

look at the history of animal abuses put on horses in human wars and construction.

>it explains it but doesn't excuse it

Congratulations, you've discovered the entire point the show is making, good job.

What the flip are you talking about user?

They were making a joke, fucknuts

Did you even watch the show, OP? That's the whole message of some of the later episodes.

words. they have meaning. read.

well the punchline was shit, asshat.

I did read it, you pompous tool. You spoke very broadly and vaguely, and in doing so painted a poor picture of what you were trying to convey. I was therefore asking for clarification and greater depth. You twat.

I mean, I sympathize with a few things in the show.
Mainly that episode where Bojack and Hollyhock have the voice in their heads but that's normal, in my opinion

Yeah. It's possible to sympathize with a character's plight while still acknowledging that they're heavily flawed.

I sympathise, we can sympathise and still acknowledge that Bojack is a shitty person and shitty things happen to him because of that. We're all a result of our shitty experiences and it's how we deal with them that makes us good or bad, Bojack just isn't dealing with them properly. I don't know if I am either

Bojacks been growing as a person more and more since the first season. Whenever he fucks up these days he realizes it pretty fast and tries to make up for it.

Now here is someone that is a 100% terrible person.

I don't think anyone actually hates Mr. Peanutbutter. He's a likable character, though annoying at times.

feels like Bojack Horseman is Notes from the Underground but jam packed with bright colors, unnecessary references, eye rolling wacky diversions, needless and hamfisted social commentary, and an ironic detachment from the subject matter to avoid having to take the show and its characters seriously. It's like they have one foot in the water but they're afraid to go all in on the pathos because its easier to half-ass it and take the credit if people like it while having the excuse that it's just a silly cartoon and you shouldnt take it so seriously if they dont.

I think they both believe they are doing good, but it kind of bugs me how Todd's behaviour and attitude are just never really called out on the show. He acts carelessly constantly and is responsible for at least 1 person dying (and the whole genocide thing) but nobody cares or calls him out for it and instead just treat him like a wonderchild who can do no wrong and is innocent in all he does. Mr Peanutbutter is similarly careless but the show at least acknowledges it and he faces consequences for what he does.

The show doesn't try and justify Bojack's actions, it actively portrays most of his fuck-ups in a negative light (e.g. traumatising Penny, being a whiny cunt to Diane, inadvertently helping Sarah Lynn overdose).

People sympathise with him because even though he's a huge prick who fucks people over, the way he reacts to situations and the emotions he feels are stuff that almost anyone could go through.

Todd is literally the Mabel Pines of Bojack Horseman.

>the emotions he feels are stuff that almost anyone could go through.
sure, if almost anyone is a fucking asshole.

I dunno man I understood him and I'm an idiot, but your choice of words read like something off of reddit, if anything you're the one speaking in a "pompous" way.