What's up with Sup Forums's hateboner for Geoff Johns as of lately...

What's up with Sup Forums's hateboner for Geoff Johns as of lately? Wouldn't you say he's done more good than bad for DC as a whole?

>Wouldn't you say he's done more good than bad for DC as a whole?

No, not at all.
Aiming at the dumbest readers isnt good. He is cancer and loyal to WB over DC.

Yes, he is good.

Better than Cates, Ewing and Remender, Sup Forums greatest writers of all time.

Because his stuff is being used for the movies, his recent work has been a bit weaker, and he touched Watchmen twice which is a big no-no.

>he touched Watchmen twice which is a big no-no.

what did he do prior to Doomsday Clock?

Johns has always been a little divisive on here.
JSA/Hawkman/Superman are the only things I've never seen people hate on on Sup Forums

his Teen Titans was OK at best, Justice League was generally disliked, and outside of Sinestro Corps War, GL was too much RAINBOW CORPS

1) Now moviefags know his name and can scream hatred at him instead of just Snyder
2) One faggot forced the "DC Bendis" meme so much around New 52 that it caught on with some new readers looking for an opinion to parrot to look cool
3) He has legitimate problems and there's a definite groupthink effect amongst the comic readers here so all it takes is one person to start having problems with him for it to spread to a bunch of people

Before Watchmen Dr. Manhatten.

Understands pretty well what the super heroes are, Achieve a new and fresh lore to green lantern, make more popular aquaman and make the JSA the group of DC that more is done to the spirit of "family of super heroes".
His worst things are those that normally feel more custom-made than for his own pleasure, he justice league or infinite crises for example.
By the way his Teen Titans I think you enjoy more if you are, redundant, Teen, I saw many cases in which young people liked but people around 30s despised it.

JMS wrote that

Teen Titans is good if you're not attached to the YJ4. It's a good run but it really changed those four and in many fans eyes it was for the worse.

>Johns has always been a little divisive on here.
This, the whole cereal lord thing was only 5-8 fanboys, i have noticed johnsfags fit on 3 categories depending on their age: casuals, batmanhaters, and the worst fanbase ever HEATfags.

For most people Johns is like Loeb, some things are good some things are bad, most of his haters are just really mad about the guy being a fanboy of his own work and wanting royalties... well that and some captain marvel fags but they are bitter since 1974 so there's nothing new about that.

He got a movie position and his name became known to movie fans right around when the hate for him took off.

>Achieve a new and fresh lore to green lantern

Literally the OC of a 13 years old boy, werent you here when people was ironically saying there will be a white lantarn and that it will save the day? it was "ironic" no one believed Johns was that stupid.

It had something felt that the ring of life was for all who had revived in the DC universe, but yeah, it was pretty dump.

This desu.

His TT destroyed the character of everyone in that comic irreparably, especially Superboy and that t-shirt luthor clone bullshit.

>Wouldn't you say he's done more good than bad for DC as a whole?

Back in 2008 maybe. It's gone too far now.

I never liked the character assasinations of the Guardians of the Universe. all the new plots were "the blue dudes are being cunts and not understanding emotions", I liked having an old power alien race that wasnt kryptonians.

And I am not sure all those other rings with their colours were a good idea.

He ruined Captain Marvel. Fuck him and fuck you too

He's always been mediocre. I hate how he's abusing his position like pushing his own mediocre shit for royalties and hiring his buddies.

If anything the love for him is recent. His GL run post Blackest Night and Flash Rebirth wasn't well received at all. Then came his JL and Batman EO, which caused a lot of people to hate him. He had fallen even on sites like comic vine and cbr. He's been using his status as President to write himself as a top writer. All the casuals who got in at new 52 and rebirth who brought into his hype and fellate him as the best DC writer ever, caused people to hate him even more.

I like Johns, his GL is pretty unanimously loved and his JSA run was great too but his Teen Titans run is fucking detestable. For the most part it's just contrarianism/hating whatever's popular. Most of Sup Forums still generally likes him.

What are some recommended readings for this guy

I read TT when I was about 16-17 (I'm 19 now) and the first few issues were mildly enjoyable, once it got to about issue 50/that One Year Later shit it was unreadable and members kept dropping like flies. I only started to truly hate it once I started backreading Young Justice, Impulse and Superboy honestly. If you don't care about characters being completely destroyed then it's an okay run for the first half.

Johns blamming watchmen for the changes in the industry was the last nail for me, anyone who knows anything about comics knows that watchmen only affected the trades and the publishing of comics (venom too). It never affected storytelling, johns pretty much was saying that the edgyness of the 90's and the grim shit in the 2000s were moore's fault, casuals actually believing that only made it worst

>lately

For better or worse Johns plays fast and loose with the mythos. He's good at retcons (at least compared to a lot of writers) but he has still stepped on a lot of stories to make his own work. He's kind of like a lesser-Bendis.

>Golden age Whiz comics
>Ordway's miniseries and subsequent run.
>Jeff Smith's Shazam: Monster society of evil.
>Jeff Parker and Shane's Convergence: Shazam
>Morrison and Stewart's Multiversity: Thunderworld
>Alan Moore and later Gaiman's Miracleman
Ignore Geoff Johns' reboot and Superman/Shazam: First Thunder, no matter how many people recommended it.

it's also blaming others for his own flaws, since he fits pretty neatly into
>grim shit in the 2000s

People hate on Johns Superman? I felt like that's one of the Supes runs that gets some of the highest praise! And I'm not even that big a fan of it outside of Zod, Bizarro, and the Lex scene at the end of Up, Up, and Away.

Yeah when he was killing off Teen Titans he didn't like in crossovers with edgy Superboy I'm sure he was thinking of Watchmen the whole time.

you misread

but Johns Superman does include New Krypton, which generally isn't well regarded

Is the miniseries by Ray Thomas any good? Im hoping they'll reprint most of this stuff since hes gonna be getting a movie soon

>Wouldn't you say the Cereal Lord has done more good than bad for Geoff Johns

I would say he has done more good, financially, but he's also done more bad reputation wise, credibility wise, and given that people only care about your recent work, he's probably done more lasting damage even financially

>loyal to WB over DC

loyal to Geoff Johns over DC or WB

Here.

Fixed for you.

>Superman are the only things I've never seen

people have dislike the stuff of that run that built into New Krypton and also the stuff that PWNed Brainiac (as seen on tv)

and you can't blanket say that, pretty much all his Superman stuff post 2007 or so has been disliked, which is probably more pages than prior to, since he's responsible for the way Superman was seen in the New 52, especially for people who thought Morrison Action was 'too deep' for them

> Superman/Shazam: First Thunder, no matter how many people recommended it.
Shit taste senpai. It’s a nice short run.

Geoff Johns is practically the DC Bendis. Aaaaaand, Bendis is the Marvel Geoff Johns.

Take from that what you will.

Nah, he was already ruined way before Johns got his mitts on him.

Can we stop pushing the whole le DC Bendis meme

It doesn't even make any sense aside from the fact that they're both popular

>can we stop pushing

It's one person trying too hard to push a meme

It's just moorefags being assblasted as usual.

But Bendis works for DC now though.

>hating on the rainbow corps
Fuck you. That idea is fun as fuck and I’m surprised no one tried it after so many years of GL comics.

My biggest problem with Johns is that he gets to dictate so much of the DCU. If not for that he'd be just another mediocre genre writer with a few high point.

>WHEEEEEE ID DA FUNNNNNESSS HIM GOT ALDA CULLOWS

It’s really a loud minority that’s mostly on Sup Forums. As far as I’ve read and seen, most people generally like his work. He’s not perfect but who is? Also, lots of people think he blames Watchmen for everything wrong with the New 52 when he said it wasn’t Watchmen that’s the problem, it’s how they all perceived it and how they decided to be like it without knowing why it was so beloved. Also, I don’t get the hate for his Superboy; he’s way more interesting and likable than the 90’s try hard hip and cool version of the character. Like, seriously? There’s people who LIKE that annoying and dated loud mouth? I always thought the Superboy with the black shirt was people’s favorites considering how many fans he has. That being said, the 90’s costume is dope.

Stay mad, faggot.

Stay fun, friend!

I don't know what he's really done for DC, I'm not too deep into DC and the mythos.
He's a turbo medicore writer that can't catch my interest in anything he does.
People who think he's good probably just like his concepts and moments.
But that's not writing, that's spicing, flavor.

Will do, bud.

... so no comments about the Flash's nose, then?

People do like his writing. JSA, GL, Teen Titans, Batman Earth One, some of his Superman stories, Flash and his Aquaman runs aren’t just cool moments. There’s a lot of good writing when it comes to pacing, character development and how to tell a story and leaving you wanting more. I honestly didn’t feel like his stories dragged on for too long or that the pacing was bad until like Trinity War and then Darkseid War. Infinite Crisis, Sinestro Corps War, Legion of 3 Worlds and Blackest Night are events/crossovers si of course they will have these big, memorable or crazy moments. You can argue that people will always remember one specific thing or two about any story.

What's wrong with different colored lanterns though

>he’s way more interesting and likable than the 90’s try hard hip and cool version of the character. Like, seriously? There’s people who LIKE that annoying and dated loud mouth?

This reads like a section from a Buzzfeed article written by some fucking hipster nuisance who thinks everything """old""" is 'soooo totally lame xD'

Hey, what's wrong with all of those faces? Jesus.

I hadn't opened the thumbnail before reading this but jesus christ this shit looks like it's from a fucking Wikihow article

I just genuinely dislike 90’s Superboy. Even as a kid I didn’t like him. He’s straight up pandering to that 90’s extreme crowd of kids and teens. I like his costume and I liked him in the Young Justice but that’s about it. If anything, it’s hipsters that would like that Superboy BECAUSE he’s old. I’m glad this was just a phase for him, even if I wanna see that costume again.

I hate his JSA. The menace comes from within the team so frequently that I don't feel like they do much super hero stuff. The world seems like it would be safer without them, it's weird.

>it’s how they all perceived it and how they decided to be like it without knowing why it was so beloved.

Johns doesnt believe that you idiot, that's the point, people is mad that he is lying. Johns KNOWS that watchmen didnt affect capeshit in general, Watchmen and TDKR gave us legends of the dark knight, sandman and doom patrol. Fans are mad that Johns came out with a excuse for an event that it's just a suit mandate event, that's why people gets angry, johns talks about hope and how cynic comics became when it's all nothing more than bullshit

>What's wrong with different colored lanterns though

GL isnt a cosmic comic anymore, it's just about colors, Johns pushed for the red lanterns in the series so he would get royalties, he pushed for the sinestro corps in the movie sequel so he could get royalties, that's one issue, he is fan of his own work, and that means using his suit contacts to push for his material, Johns has had more power than any other writer in DC since before he became CCO, remember he didnt got a job at WB due his DC performance, he got his DC job after working in WB.

>GL isnt a cosmic comic anymore
What? It’s been Cosmic as fuck, it just had all the color Lanterns there, too. Hammond, the Weaponers, Manhunters, and more were in Johns run besides the colored Corps. Hell, Johns had entire non-color related stories involving nothing but GL after the first GL Rebirth and before SCW.

>Johns pushed for the red lanterns in the series so he would get royalties,
And? Red Lanterns are cool antagonists. What? You wanted the weaponers of Qward to be the main villains? Balphounga? Fucking Hector Hammond!? No, man. More people know about the Lanterns and the other colored Corps than they know about those other fuckers and even then hey added the goddamn Anti-Monitor and the Manhunters in the series later on.

>he pushed for the sinestro corps in the movie sequel so he could get royalties
And that movie sucked and had nothing to do with Johns’ run aside from Parallax being a fear entity from the get go. He wasn’t happy with how the movie turned out either since a lot of his suggestions were ignored. Now, stuff post-MoS? He had way more control and did nothing. That’s partially on him.

>he is fan of his own work
Who fucking isn’t most of the time? Bendis, Aaron, Morrison, Waid, and many others have done similar shit.

>and that means using his suit contacts to push for his material
Literally what every person in the industry does.

>Johns has had more power than any other writer in DC since before he became CCO, remember he didnt got a job at WB due his DC performance, he got his DC job after working in WB.
None of that makes him a bad writer, though. He climbed he corporate ladder and became a big wig at the company, same as Jim Lee and Scott Snyder. Johns’ track record isn’t spotless but it’s better than most and if you get a position of power, you too would want to make your stuff get noticed more.

Yes. I thoroughly enjoy his content.
Sup Forums is just continually becoming a shittier place because on the whole all it seems able to do these days is dislike things.

I miss the old days.

Let’s not do anything new with the GLC!!!!!

Johns was both a writer (not credited) and a consultant in the GL movie, he only cared about setting up the sequel based on his work so he would get paid.

For reference, the creator wolverine got more money from Lucius Fox in the nolan movies than from all the Wolverine movies.

Bendis has now moved to DC, so now he's the Gabby Rivera of DC.

He is Reddit the writer.

I love Bizarro Bendis. He's much better than regular Bendis, who is shit.
Though I do hope regular Bendis is okay. I heard he had some medical trouble recently. I may hate his body of work but I wish the actual man no ill will and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

>Geoff's New 52 Justice League was shit
>His New 52 Shazam was shit
>His New 52 Superman was short and stole a dumb Supergirl gimmick and the run had no bearing on the subsequent runs
>His Flash:Rebirth is shit, for both Wallyfags and Garrickfags in general
>His Green Lantern is well regarded but everyone and their mom can't stand the Hal Jordan favoritism
>Superboy as a T-shirt wearing emoboy is a terrible change, the Lex retcon is even more stupid
Johns has dome some major shit, makes sense he gets hated once in a while

>Watchmen
Eh DC was gonna cut that Turkey eventually anyway. Might as well have it done by a guy who has a good track record of writing fanfic based on Moore's work.

It's funny when people say that Johns' run was the worst thing for Guy and John, clearly they never read anything in the 90's or early 00's when Kyle was the best Green Lantern ever!!!!!