The Rick Veitch run on Swamp Thing is fucking great, even with the aborted ending...

The Rick Veitch run on Swamp Thing is fucking great, even with the aborted ending. Why doesn't anyone ever talk about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/thread/84745273/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Big Lie

This. Veitch went crazy, now no one wants to be associated with him.

Never properly reprinted

We are too busy gushing over "Uncanny Avengers", "Ultimates" and "Dr. Strange".

The time travel arc basically was trash, regardless of how it ended.

Also, the forced Constantine shilling done to push Hellblazer down fans throats.

There are some good moments there but the time travel arc was too fucking masturbatory for it's own good.

I'd also add that Veitch's run is too closely connected to the dogshit Wheeler run, which had to resolve Veitch's plotlines and Wheeler's Swamp Thing is REALLY REALLY REALLY bad.

You could easily just skip the Veitch/Wheeler run and go from the Moore run to the Nancy Collins run and not miss anything except "Abby and Swamp Thing have a kid", which actually works better if you treat Tefe's conception/birth a mystery

I loved the time travel arc but I'm a DC nerd so I liked all the cameos from characters that never get enough love like Enemy Ace and Tomahawk. Also liked the Arcane backstory stuff.

Is Collins worth reading? That's the only major ST run I haven't read aside from whoever was between Wein and Pasko and Wheeler, which I've always heard was bad.

Sup Forums would rather obsess over Moore's Watchmen, Lovecraft slashfic & bitterness towards the world let alone his Swamp Thing or even Vetich's which was just as good IMO.

>The time travel arc basically was trash, regardless of how it ended.
Eat dick.
Veitch handled DC's historical characters fantastically.

The time travel arc was fine but it bugged me how much of an obvious attempt it was at trying to emulate the cosmic odyssey arc at the end of Moore's run only not as good. That might be unfair though since he never got a chance to end it.

>Why doesn't anyone ever talk about it?

Because it's not been widely available in print form and everybody just talks about the Moore run, getting people only to seek out those issues.

what?

He went 9/11 truther. Here's an old storytime of it:
desuarchive.org/co/thread/84745273/
Telling New Yorkers (where Marvel and DC is/was based) that 9/11 was an inside job rustled some feathers

>He went 9/11 truther

Reminds me of Neal Adams believing in expanding Earth theory.

Definitely. It's kind of paint by numbers in that it evokes a more mainstream friendly ST (ST and Abby and their kid are together, Arcane as a regular villain, more slice of life shit with them interacting with people in New Orleans). But the ending is pretty bad in so far as once the book switched to Vertigo, ST cheats on Abby with his plant elemental nanny Lady Jane and Abby ultimately walks out on him/Lady Jane kidnapping ST/Abby's kid, leaving ST's life in ruins.

The chief promoters BTW of the "Nancy Collins Swamp Thing run being bad" crap BTW were the Warren Ellis forum, but that was only due to the fact that they were all busy trying to suck Mark Millar off/claim his run was the only non-ST run worth a damn. So you should not fully believe the hype.

It was for the best Veitch's ending never happened. By all accounts, Veitch wanted to end the book at the end of his run.

His plan was for ST to use what Jesus taught him to basically "redeem" Arcane (who would come back for Tefe) and purge him of all of his evil. ST, Abby, Tefe, and Arcane (who would become a country doctor in the Bayou) all living together happily ever after.

Ah so that's why the time travel arc was so Arcane heavy.

This is the one. We've got dope collections of the Moore stuff, and now we have the Bronze Age Swampy omnibus for everything that came before.

No way for me to read Veitch's run other than piracy or back issue bins.

That and the simple fact that Alan Moore's run is a good self-contained story with its own fairly conclusive ending. Not a lot of people are really willing to even acknowledge the series continues after it, especially when it undoes a lot of the happiness that Alan Moore's ending had (such as Abby and ST splitting up).

Everything's after Moore's run on Swamp Thing's is hot grabage. Now, if the original plan of Neil Gaiman and Jamie Delano sharing writing duties on title came to frution, it would be a very different case. And before you speak, remember such classic moments from post-Moore Swamp Thing like Abby humping a strawman to orgasm with his dead father's soul trapped inside of it.

>crazy
you fucking sheep, you probably don't believe in chemtrails either