Does it make any sense to read stories that you know will never end? You can read superman, batman or whatever...

Does it make any sense to read stories that you know will never end? You can read superman, batman or whatever, you can read their stories, they can like you, but it bothers you that you know that there will never be a definitive end and that they will never get old? or, you accept the fact that it's fiction, the fact that, super heroes are something for fun and stupid, that they can explore moral issues with fantastic perspective and leave you something to think about, it makes sense to read something that you know never finish ... or do you prefer to enjoy a good time reading something that, if written with passion, is fun and good?

They're the 'setting', runs are the story and those do end.

They're stories. The end is the end of ones imagination. I don't want to ever see the end.

This.

I've come to accept that Big Two comics are just soap operas and that I'm okay with that.

You're walking through the desert and you see a tortoise on its back

It's a a never-ending battle for truth and justice. that's part of the appeal of these dumb funnybooks

>Does it make any sense to read stories that you know will never end? You can read superman, batman or whatever, you can read their stories, they can like you, but it bothers you that you know that there will never be a definitive end and that they will never get old?
Golden Age Batman had a final ending, and so did Golden Age Superman. And Silver Age Superman too, iirc. And there are things like All-Star Superman and DC One Million, TDKR, Batman Beyond. There are many endings, and there will never be a definite one. Look at it like this - you get to pick your own.

This
It's not one grand story of Batman. Batman is just a character and multiple stories happen to him in his lifetime.

Like you go watch a James Bond movie, you know it's not gonna end with Bond dying or living happily ever after and that there's gonna be another one eventually. Really you go see ANY movie and you know there's going to be a sequel.

>Does it make any sense to read stories that you know will never end?
There are few comic opinions someone can have that will make me think lesser of them and this is one of them, It's such a selfish thing to think. Why would/should Batman end? To please you? Comics are a continues medium they don't have endings that's just how they are, can you not just enjoy the story and what the character represents and leave the character be for the next generation of readers and writers?

Its not that they'll never end, its that in two years it'll all get retconned away. So why bother?

Pretty bad argument desu, just find the stories you like and keep them to your heart.

I feel like you answered your own question.

It is not a question, It is a reflection. I want to see what is the thought of / co / regarding that topic.

Neverending stories are a feature of superhero stories, not a bug. There's a unique fluidity to continuity that isn't readily available to other genres and mediums.

In other words:

I honestly do wonder a lot what it's like to be an elderly man who's read comics his whole life and sees how little his favorite characters have progressed in his life time.

It doesn't bother me personally but I wonder what'd be like picking up comics when you're the same age as Dick, becoming older than him, then becoming older than Bruce and eventually becoming closer to fucking Alfred in age than any of the heroes you grew up with.

you know that your friends are there, as well as when watching the films of returning to the future or with conan, you know they will be there even if they are funny and ridiculous, it sounds corny but that's the way it is.

It was this line of thinking that drove me to manga and novels as a teen, but I'm back and have been for some years.

Western content is interesting in that while it never ends you can take many story arcs as self contained stories of a vastly larger setting that you can then choose to explore. As they reset every several decades, at least DC does, at this point Post-Crisis is 'complete' from some perspectives, Rebirth more a sequel/continuations than anything else.

However, I will admit I still have a strong preference for Elsewords where they do tend to be more self contained, and stories intended to not be tie-ins to a larger and ongoing setting, like TDKR.

There is also something slightly comforting in knowing that as I age, there will always be more Batman and Superman to read.

the stories all end, there's just another one that begins right where the last one left off. most stories in comics are 3-4 issues long. some are only 1 issue long. a few are 12. very rarely does a comic go 50+ issues without concluding anything thats clearly identifiable as the ending of that particular chapter of the character's life.

Modern Age superman did too, kind of. I know Blackest Night happened after this, but FC is basically the end of the post-crisis DCU. They just kind of fucked around after it until Flashpoint.

I think of it was a neverending mythology