How off-model is too off-model?

how off-model is too off-model?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=63wJItfmu_0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't get why these threads are so prominent on Sup Forums. It's a fucking cartoon, who cares if it goes off-model? Especially since, when it comes to animation, off-model proportions are often done intentionally in order to exaggerate movements and expressions since it's a fucking cartoon, not real life.

You know what it doesn't matter how off model they get as long as the art is good and they can go back on model. In OPs case it's shit.

>It's a fucking cartoon, who cares if it goes off-model?
Because this isn't the fucking 90s where we're still using animation cels and the "undo" function doesn't exist.

There is zero justifiable reason for cartoons made on computers to be in any way off model.

do you even have a clue about how animation works? a computer doesn't generate the whole thing, we haven't got to that stage yet. A storyboard artist is still required for 99% of animation, and as a result they can (and usually do) take artistic liberties to fit the scene. The fact so many on Sup Forums get so autistic about this is frankly baffling.

Its an Animator's job to be as On-Model as possible.

There's no rock solid way to determine when something is TOO off-model. IMO, too off-model is when you can tell the boarders made no attempt to follow the model sheet. In OP pic, Carol is passable while Gar (more specifically, this body) is awful

it's too off-model if I can't fap to it

that is literally not true

any more context to that second still?
is it them in the past? is there a gag goin on?
Otherwise I think Gar is the only really offensive one there

Why don't animators fucking storyboard anymore?

>off-model proportions are often done intentionally in order to exaggerate movements and expressions

if you think that's the case of OP's pic you are a retard

it partially is, but they arguably took it too far with the dude's torso.

>Carol is passable

That sweatband morphing into her eyes are a crime

plenty of storyboard artists are trained animators though
like on SU there have been quite a few instances of board artists contributing bits of actual animation to episodes rather than leaving it all to the koreans

KO is often drawn with that too. It's a design choice, not unlike Rigby's eyes coming off his face when his nose is up.

youtube.com/watch?v=63wJItfmu_0
>Wanting every cartoon to be Family Guy or Brickleberry with a collective five various expressions with no fluidity or weight in movement.
'k.

Why bother showing Lapis when shes identical?

some do a better job than others

>Especially since, when it comes to animation, off-model proportions are often done intentionally in order to exaggerate movements and expressions
Which is not the case in the OP's picture. There is such thing as quality control.

except most current cartoons don't actually use off-model drawings for exaggeration exclusively, they show up in "serious" sequences too It's bad art and looks lazy.

>"good enough" mentality
Outside of specific shots, why WOULD you want to go off-model?

>partially
please tell me what part of this scene called for an intentional exaggeration of features

>cartoon
>serious
the expressions/faces

That's not so bad.

>tfw for the rest of time we're getting either cheap pre-made asset drag and drop cartoons or hand-drawn stuff that can't keep on model
>the industry is too cheap to change this because kids don't have standards and adult cartoons can use humor as a crutch to excuse lazy animation

No, you cuck. I meant what in this scene justified the usage of exaggerated proportions compared to a fight scene, or somewhere else more appropriate. From what I can tell they're just meant to be standing there - there's no reason to exaggerate it.

now show the earliest Peridot without enhances so we can see how much worse things are now

>how off-model is too off-model?

When ratings slide as a result.

I don't know the exact context of it, but they're clearly discussing something so their expressions probably relate to whatever it is they're talking about.

OKKO is aimed to children of 5-years-old, why his audience should care?

Not much of a deviation.

Their's a difference between Squash and Stretch techniques and the shit SU and OKKO does

okay this is exaggerated on purpose and made for a funny moment

I know. Don't get me wrong, I don't care for either shows, but my post was focusing on the fact that the claim that animation is meant to be entirely on-model 100% of the time is horse shit.

You adults complaining about cartoon characters being off model must be fun at parties.

idk it funny i like it

Because everything in OK KO is a dramatic heroic fight scene, mopping the floors, stocking the shelves, and yes, even Carol saying Hi to a stumbling, stuttering, physically deflated Gar who can't even talk to her.

no one makes that claim, faggot
but these douchebags don't even draw on model 50% of the time

that still doesn't justify it

>This thread yet again.
It's as if a certain subset of people want it to be a general.

Disgusting

Jesus christ man. How did we go from a cute indian to a poo in loo goblin?

>cherrypicking

How'd I do? Thinking about applying for a storyboarding position.

lol

this isn't cherrypicking you buffoon that entire episode and Connie as a whole S4-5 has been insanely off model.

That’s just how that works now.

It is, though, since these off-model instances are only from select shots, not entire episodes. Problem is you choose to dwell on the shots and overblow their presence.

>There is zero justifiable reason for cartoons made on computers to be in any way off model.
How about because the animators wanted to do it? Why does it piss you off? Don't just say "because it's bad/lazy/I don't like it".

Off model stuff doesn't hinder my enjoyment of a show. Who the fuck cares. How many times do we need to have this fucking thread.

>no one makes that claim
>post I responded to makes that exact claim
Spend your Christmas break studying your reading textbooks kid.

not really

OK KO has literally been distorting and shifting its models from the very start. It's not art style degeneration, it's a deliberate stylistic choice.
You don't have to LIKE it, but it's a big part of the show's aesthetic.

I mean the height looks consistent.

She's a point of reference for Peridots hight

Let's not forget that because they leave it all to the koreans, the storyboards have to be on model in the first place.

Because if you dont spefically state something has to be on model, the koreans will animate as it appears on the storyboard.

Unfortunately, storyboards aren't always on model, since they are only to show how the episode is supposed to play out. I hear storyboarders are often told to shit something out and worry about being on model later.

Do they also have horrible storyboarders completely fucking fail to do basic appealing drawings as an aesthetical choice?

There's alot of stuff out there that play fast and loose, but few are as fucking gruesome as what CN does nowadays.

But its executed horribly, that's why its shit

Literally:
"It's my style!" Deviantart defense.

The crew has no direction, Becky Sucrose just leaves the episodes to their own devices.

When you look at John K.'s shit he goes Off-Model for comedic purposes and to make the animated drawing seem less stiff and rigged.

SU and KO as Bedhead Bernie put it "Goes Off-Model for the sake of going Off-Model."

People can't have their own style anymore?

Some boarders on the show are better than others.

I don't want to blame Ian for the reason why some shots look ass and others look relatively pretty good for what they're going for. Whenever I see a frame that looks ass on OKKO I blame the boarder who was put on that shot rather than the show itself.

If I were Ian, I would've kept the only two good boarders and kicked everyone else off.

>style
Its a superficial layer on a creation, you must first have an understanding for the basics and fundamentals and understand and execute these concepts to the best of your ability then you can use whatever fucking style you want.

And you just assume Ian hasn't gone through all that before developing his styles?

>being this retarded

>it's my style, it's allowed to be shitty

as a defense for looking like shit? no

If he did go through all that and still use 'em SU and KO wouldn't be the fucking mess that it is today

Lots of shows look even worse, yet they're still successful.

Because for steven universe it's not artistic liberty, it's being a lazy inconsistint shit.

Notice these are the only two shows we complain about going off model.

A baseless assumption. You must take into account one's chosen art style, allowed budget, and the general animation process.

>hate show
>make daily threads about it
that'll show em

I have only seen the one that gets smaller over time. Is this in chronological order?

It's the laziness that infected steven universe making it's way into other cartoons.

It would be funny if they switched to a different korean studio who started asking them about the off model.

dude wut the basics and fundamentals are the fucking foundation their a fucking constant through out good artwork. When you build a house you always cast the foundation first and build the House on top of that.

Because they're the ones you choose to complain about while shows like Chowder, Flapjack, and Uncle Grandpa have done the same thing, yet are ignored.

>steven universe goes off model to fit the scene
Give one example of this.

Every time those shows go off model it's for a reason, maybe a few slips on uncle grandpa.

Doesn't contradict what I said.

>artist is lazy
>but its muh style
every time

>Lots of shows look even worse yet they're still popular*

Also.
Other shows looking worse is not an excuse for them or this show to look bad.

No, they went off-model to express each storyboarder's art style, just like SU and KO.

In the case of SU, I think it's one specific team of boarders that draws the characters with chibi heads. It's their goddamn fault (and Sugar's, for not doing anything about it) this shit flies by. Like said, koreans work with what you give them.

Though it is very true that CN is the worst in that department. It's not just SU and OK K.O. The height thing even spread to AT (Flame Princess is much taller that Finn in one of the recent eps). I can't recall anything in Star vs. or Milo Murphy or The Jungle Movie (except that one brief shot of Helga with a huge rack) that comes close to what CN does.

Let us review. When characters are idle they should be as in model as possible. When they are emoting that is when they go off model

Just saying, if worse stuff is tolerated, why bother complaining about what isn't as bad? It's like being bothered by a C when you also got an E.

Being on model is the artistic skill with literally about the least return. It's also unrealistic, real people have much more differences in their looks than shows like Family Guy.

it's just easy to point out, so people feel like they're making a meaningful evaluation even though less than 1% of viewers care that steven universe goes off model, let alone complain about it.

I believe so. The other one also exaggerates the heights a lot more. This is closer to what it actually looks like.

then, like said, why don't people complain when other shows do it?
I'll tell you why, it's because people that don't like these shows are so obsessed that they look for anything they can shitpost about, then do so on a daily basis.

also, looney tunes goes much more off model due to decades of cartoons and directors and animators with distinct styles. have you ever heard a complaint in your life?

it's just a small group of people on a few websites who think they "know what's wrong" with a popular show because they can assemble a couple off-model screencaps. it's lazier than what they accuse the shows of doing.

Fucker do you have any idea what the word consistency means? Too much off model just screams lie.

They actually created new character sheets as they developed the look of the characters. What OK KO is doing is picking a different art style every scene

>Too much off model just screams lie.
what does that even mean

You can sense that something is off visually in your brain

Stuff like this isn't really going "off model" in the John K. sense of the term. It's an inability to keep proportions consistent. Measuring is a fundamental skill that should be present in the work of any learned animator, and weakness in it probably means weakness in other areas and a faulty drawing method.

It's true that audiences may not care, but an artist still should.