JSA Storytime: Man-Thing

Good evening owls,

continuing this plot

So Gwenpool, America, Luke Cage, Hawkeye, and Generation X are cancelled.

And going off of the solicits, Champions, Iceman, Black Bolt, and She Hulk's last issues are in March

are these legit or fanmade? they only ever seem to show on Sup Forums

RIP Hawkeye, you were good.

yeah there's the usual bullshit about how the company is failing new readers by not keeping these books going, blah blah blah

Also Slott is FUCKING FINALLY off of ASM.

Spencer was rumored to take over and I think Slott was rumored to take off GOTG. But Slott doesn't then I guess he'll move to DC like Bendis.

also apparently Jim STarlin is mad at Brevoort:

>What I objected to and what will be keep me from doing any further work for Marvel Editorial was Tom Brevoort approving a plot for the current on-going series, which was pretty much the same as the Thanos story arc in the graphic novel trilogy Alan Davis and I have been working on for Tom for close to the past year. He had 200 pages of script and 100 pages of pencils on this project when he gave the green light to a strikingly similar plot. The on-going will be in print before the graphic novel trilogy. To avoid spoiling anyone’s enjoyment of these two stories I will not be summarizing the striking similarities.

>At first Tom denied giving his approval to the plot. When that turned out to be false, he switched to claiming there was nothing similar about the two plots. When that didn’t fly he changed his story to it was all an accident. These changes of excuse and other bits of procrastination ate up a month, by which time the current Thanos on-going art team was too far along for anything to be done about the situation. Too bad for me. So I am moving on.

Hello, Storyteller.

Say, how important would you say character design is? Window dressing, or a vital element?

>>Marvel's Silver Book for FCBD 2018
>INFINITY WATCH
>probably the follow-up to Infinity Countdown
>AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
>showcasing Slott's replacement?

Character design is absolute vital.

Bob Kane's Batman outfit was pants on head stupid.

Vital, it makes a character pop off a page

Now, some characters who have a good enough concept/hook/personality/writing take a little while to find the sweet spot, but all of them who last get to something evocative enough

Jim Starlin returning to DC when (unless there's some bad blood with them or he does not want to be remembered as "the writer who killed Jason Todd the first time around")?

I'm still irritated marvel is doing a bunch of crossovers in a vain attempt to live up to their "no events for 18 months!!"

there are definitely characters who are only around bc they have such good designs

i can't think of any offhand but stil

Starlin wrote some new 52 books so no bad blood there apparently.

And gross, him returning to DC. I'd rather DC get some new blood since they already took Bendis and Slott is off Spider man.

i kinda like them cancelling the books and just doing an event mini desu,

#goals

Spider Gwen.

and Gwenpool

Spider-Gwen is the most obvious recent example and it's a perfect one

See, thing is there are plenty of people who think it's not important what a character looks like. But a design serves as a visual shorthand much of the time, and can tell the reader what kind of character this is. So like, I guess I don't buy that assertion, at all?

I'm not happy that Dr. Strange: Damnation was secretly much larger than they announced it as. Now it's four-issues + 11 tie-ins, with four of those tie-ins being the Dr. Strange book itself instead of the five-issue limited series it was solicited as.

I'd be more sympathetic if Thanos had more than one fucking story to attribute to him.

this asshole again?

yeah, I can't say I'm interested in Starlin's Thanoswank myself

Shame the Gwenom design is so underwhelming. I get what he was going for, but meh.

Also Bombshells I say counts. The designs were so popular it got a comic and a relaunch plus tons of other shit like puzzles.

>he'll move to DC like Bendis
Don't put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!

Look into your heart, you know it's true.

>It wasn't Bendis who was gonna be on Action
>It was SLOTT

Hawkeye really didn't deserve to die

I can't even imagine how pissed Starlin must be about liter everything about Thanos right now

DC's royalties program has likely been benefitting him immensely so I doubt he has any anger at DC. Death in the Family has been pretty popular in reprints ever since Arkham Knight

>DC's royalties program has likely been benefitting him immensely so I doubt he has any anger at DC. Death in the Family has been pretty popular in reprints ever since Arkham Knight
Well okay.

yeah, we don't need that

I have the Stargirl statue

I wish *I* had an evil magic box to unleash my work frustration into, damn

Hawkeye was surprisingly good. I guess Thompson is gonna be the one to take over Jessica Jones since she seems to be Marvel's main female writer? She's gotten more than 1-2 projects with them.

I could see him doing FF if they ever bring back a proper title for that.
I read his Arkham mini recently and it wasn't too bad. He seemed to have a good feel for the setting.

Apparently he gets more in royalties from fucking KGBeast than from Thanos

>Black Bolt
Is he still talking in that or is he back to being a mute?

Slott's Spidey/Torch mini way back was good times, and just get him off ASM and see what he can do

And I hate writers that can't fucking move on.

>I could see him doing FF if they ever bring back a proper title for that.
It's getting closer, the marvel 2 in 1 book is finding the FF so it probably won't last more than 5 or 10 issues
After the new Thanos event they'll probably launch new books properly

Like how Wein got more from Lucius than fuckin Wolverine lol

but yeah, cry me a fucking river that Hawkeye got 16 issues when Foolkiller got an automatic axe, Journey into Sifstery got killed but KSD CM lived, etc.

Denny O'Neil didn't get any money from Obediah Stane in the Iron Man movie until he called Marvel and asked nicely (read: begged)

Silver Surfer was downright offensive.

Don't doubt the power of the Car-sorry, the KSD Corps!!!!

this is...this is pretty inventively fucked up, Steve, I'm proud of you

I avoided that because everyone was like "It's like Dr. Who!" and I fucking hate Dr. Who

yeah, tbf Thompson also had the perspective of that's a solid run in modern comics. i mean hell fractions wasn't that long either

allred tho...

well how are you owls today? I am still on the hunt for shoes.

Allred can suck a dick too.

>those solicits
>Amazons Attacked is all about Jason and the forced Fourth World shit
... Johns, Robinson. Just stop. Please, just knock it off. It's getting tiresome at this point.

Hey, remember when the Wonder Woman book was about Wonder Woman? Somehow, it's become little more than a platform for some idiot's Fourth World fanfic, written by his newly acquired toady.

Yeah people in the thread are mocking her but 16 issues of a niche book in the Now is a fine run

Yes Superwoman got more but DC is making an extraordinary commitment to everything Rebirth

I bet they're the same people who scream at Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl not being cancelled lol

Shit day and I have three more days of the shit I had to deal with today

Send me your chaos magick energy, thread, so that I may make it through

>INFINITY WATCH
So, with Captain Marvel on hiatus with Stohl saying that she isn't done, Marvel isn't crazy enough to try two weeklies at the same time right? I hope it isn't, but what if the Guardians/Infinity Watch/Captain Marvel thing turns out like the Avengers combination? Several books into a weekly? It seems like suicide to me, but Marvel is doing weird stuff right now.

>DC is making an extraordinary commitment to everything Rebirth
Oh yeah, gotta love all the double shipping and events and Doomsday Cock because it's keeping incredible niche comics like Superwoman, Cyborg or Blue Beetle alive.

Is this just Lemire's Thanos book, or is it something new?

oh yeah, Giant-Size Plots

>in a surprise twist both series are actually retrospectives of the peaceful farmer Thanos era, largely inspired by Harvest Moon

Too bad all 3 of those are shit.

Now New Superman is one to be happy they kept alive by Doomsday Cock's lenticular cover.

Hoping Deathstroke isn't cancelled because the solicit made it sound like Priest's run is over. ;_;
Same with Green Arrow.

This story is the only arc of Man-Thing where I wish we had something other than house style, because I'd like to see all the eye emphasis super stylized.

>Doomsday Cock's
Freud was right desu

Well, after about two months or so, my skin is still active assaulting me at every opportunity. So there's that.

That top right panel is magnificent.

those 3 are all also ending, superwoman's been on life support since jiminez left and blue beetle is in a filler arc

>Too bad all 3 of those are shit.
That was my point.

>Deathstroke
It's actually selling well and last time I checked it stabilized.

>and blue beetle is in a filler arc
Cyborg too but it's shorter and has a completely new creative team; Blue Beetle kept Kolins until the end.

it's Donny Cates now, right?

LOL

It's actually weird that the solicitation for Cyborg #20 didn't say "final issue" even though it is. Superwoman #18 was labelled "Final issue" in the same month.
I wonder if it was actually a surprise cancellation

>tfw no full-color hi-quality art book "Impressions of Fantasy Barbarians Murdered in Steve Gerber Comics"

My parents went to court today to finalize their divorce so not too well :(

So the last arc and Rucka's run which I'm sure you bitched about too?

Hey OP. Superhero double date fun is FUN. Dad Superman is perhaps the perfected Superman-as-character. I want Superdad to hangout with Garth and Imra and let Jon play with Garridan and Graym.

I was not aware of Atlanta having a 42nd and Broadway.

That's always a rough one, user

I'm sorry to hear that, user. I hope things are as amicable as possible.

Can't really empathize because I was incredibly glad when my parents finalized their divorce but I guess YMMV and I feel bad for you if you feel bad user.

I want the kids of the Silver Age Legion to time travel to meet Jon and take him on future adventures

Pretty sure Cranky liked Rucka's run IIRC

cute! CUTE!!!

Thanks everyone, unfortunately it wasn't slightly amicable but I'm just hoping that my mom can move on now.

Pour one out in respect for equal-opp fanservice, damn

now this is just a strategic lack of cock, in contrast

We're reading Man-Thing right now. How well would ANYTHING Man-Thing work if it wasn't a 12/10 design?

Strategic lack of cock is both great phrasing and explains a lot about Thog and his whole deal, honestly.

Rucka's Rebirth run was okay. It wasn't good or bad, just okay. Aside from the awful pacing, which all comics suffer from now, it mainly suffers from Rucka's main weakness as a writer, that being the lack of strong characterization.

I actually ended up enjoying the following arc by the Superhero Girls lady a lot more, if only because everyone felt way more alive.

is this back when Doctor Strange was good?

I wouldn't be surprised if an editor asked for bulge to be erased here

Do straight dudes actually even give a shit if there's a big bulge on the page, at least as long as it's not literally just an outline of a fat cock

Oddly enough, Man-Thing's design reminds me of metroids. Same situation where it tows the line between terrifying abomination, and cuddly critter that you just wanna hug. They're both like edgy pokemon.

i kept meaning to post this because of the FOOM ads

Man-Thing is very definitely oddly cuddly

the eyes are scientifically cute! CUTE!!!!

(we'll circle back and pick up the Giant-Sized issues we missed on our next storydays, Thursday we're on tomorrow we're off)

now, lean in to the meta

For the Metroids, the three orbs kinda look like eyes and a nose. And the little squeeking sounds they make.

I think with Man-Thing though, it's all about those Vine Eybrows.He can look like he's glaring, sneering, even frowning. A full range of human emotions on a very inhuman looking face.

Man, this is a Gerber as hell page.

Also he's like a big lovable oaf

thank you Steve for catching us up since we missed that issue

>Simone basically admitting her thing for Giganta on twitter
Gail, pls. As if we didn't already know.

The hulking monstrous bruiser body, face tentacles, and decayed looking skin... but with big ol puppy dog eyes. That has to be on purpose.

>I wish *I* had an evil magic box to unleash my work frustration into, damn

Are you sure? It's apparently addictive, deadly, AND forces you into Thog worship.