/swco/ - Star Wars Comics & Cartoons

Forgot to buy Christmas gifts Edition

>Upcoming Releases:
swbooks.net/updates/release-2017.htm

>Out This Week:
Star Wars: The Last Jedi Collector's Edition (Tue 19)
Star Wars Insider #178 (Tue 19)
Doctor Aphra #15 (Wed 20)
Poe Dameron #22 (Wed 20)

>Star Wars Rebels Season 4 Trailer 2
youtube.com/watch?v=JtigV-biVGg

>Rebels Recon: Rebel Assault
youtube.com/watch?v=zXt9ZmN-V-k

>Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CbN8sfihY

>STAR WARS: Battlefront II – The Movie (2017)
youtube.com/watch?v=geqUtEjdREc

>Download links: (Check here for new Rebels Episodes + Books, Comics, Films, etc)
pastebin.com/nWsKtSya

>Star Wars: Forces of Destiny
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpSnlSGciSWNBXSxZZrsvWdnoGsLCr6WL

>Canon Guide:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1KovH_1GYLDTAe3yrleeWiuzwulm670o_anQqr5Rcg/pubhtml

>Legends Recommendation List:
docs.google.com/document/d/147N5EgCnZmcPaDYvnGQwl9cn7BhBroFb7mD2C4cmWb0/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EIY-PsHrj9A
movietime.guru/the-empire-strikes-back-ruined-star-wars-df4e6c5f647c
strawpoll.me/14663223
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pretzels lie. They manipulate.

Kylo did nothing wrong 2bh

First for best grill

seriously thought did no one think of this when they watched TLJ?

It sounds like that, while Mark didn't agree with the arc, he saw Rian as the true savior of Star Wars
youtube.com/watch?v=EIY-PsHrj9A

If both Han and Luke are dead, who will help Chewie get to his family in time for Life Day?

Porgs

Wait..

>Porg
>PAWG

what did they mean by this?

Good, then they can take their places as the main cours......guests of honor. Yes, guests of honor.

how did i miss that god damnit

Have you accepted Jedi Jesus as your lord and savior?

man, fuck the han film and episode 9, this is the film I want

>attn'

I kinda forgot his backstory, he killed a Jedi and didn't want the Exile to know about it?

So do I play the first game that I haven't played yet or do I replay the second game that I forgot all but the start about

Can people who think Luke was fine in TLJ answer this: Why was Luke more bitter and jaded than Obi-Wan or Leia even though both had faced huge setbacks in their lives?

Obi-Wan lived through the destruction of the Republic and the deaths of the Jedi, which was his family. He probably felt that he could have prevented this if he had a better grip on Anakin. Even without the Prequels, you know this guy was betrayed by his own pupil and forced to live as a hermit in hiding for many years. But when he was called into action, he still did his duty. Seeing R2's recording of Leia to Obi-Wan really highlights how much worse off and sad Luke is than Obi-Wan.

Leia also faced challenges. She lost her son, faced scorn as a politician (according to the novels), and saw that the New Republic she had been fighting for wasn't as grand as she thought it would be (especially as no one cares enough to save it from the First Order). Yet she still served as a hopeful and inspiring figure to her forces and served them to the very end. (Since she's probably dying after this movie) How did Leia end up more positive than Luke?

People say Luke giving up is realistic. But now he looks worse than the other characters in the same story.

because you are dumb

The only important question about TLJ is what was the point of Rose and Finn?

Depends if anything comes of those kids havign hope.

Maybe it will turn out like that episode of Doctor Who where the people of earth make Dr. Who into rainbow jesus because they believe in him or whatever the shit was happening.

Play the first one

>Depends if anything comes of those kids havign hope.
Given that Rian isn't directing episode 9 and the script hasn't been written yet, I doub it.

Can we expect stories with young Ben/Luke's Jedi Order yet, or is that era still off-limits?

Then there was no point to them at all

>uncensored intimate HANDHOLDING
>in my Star Wars movie

What the fuck Rian, you went too far.

Because Luke wasn't raised as a primcess turned Rebel leader or as a Jedi. The dude grew up on a moisture farm and was a whiney brat when Obi-Wan found him.

I'm assuming it's off limits until 9 is out, but we will see.

That was one of RTD's worst finales

>has a dick
>girl

Because Luke isn't Obi-wan or Leia.

I know the popular thing to do is completely missremember the OT, but Luke was far from a perfect Jedi or even person. He's winey, he doesn't listen, he gives up on his training with yoda, and even in episode 6, the end of his arc, he's borderline falling to the dark side choking out innocent guards, wearing black, and making threats. Obi wan was trained all his life to be a hardened Jedi and to let go of his attachments. A privilege that not only did Luke not have, but a move that wouldn't be in character for him anyway.

I really urge everyone to go back and rewatch the OT with focus on Luke's character. Everything he says and does in TLJ is completely on the nose for him.

>he doesn't listen
He's overly critical; its NOT FAIR!

How could he get away with this???

>>what was the point of Rose
>to shed light on the normal guys in the room (which is unnecessary, since Rogue One already did that)
>worldbuilding
>helping Finn with character progression (TFA Finn would never run in front of a giant laser to save anyone)
But she did bring nothing that affected the plot.

>>Finn
>character progression
Also didn't affect the plot.

>perfect opportunity to give Rey a saberstaff
>movie is going back to J.J. "podracer flags trigger me" Abrams

The Last Jedi is the Pinkerton of Star Wars.

stop animal abuse

Anybody have the NOT CANON image macro with the legends banner?

This time of the year a lot of Sup Forums posters need a reminder

Retcon: Luke never left a map to him behind, the map was to the first Jedi Temple, where Luke was assumed to be.

RIAN, WINK IF TRUE, WE LOVE YOU

#STAYSTRONGRAYNJASON

This makes sense and I will gladly accept it as canon

how is that a retcon?

So Luke totally is gonna force ghost haunt Kylo ala Cade isn't he?

Thank you user

If anyone remembers i'm one of the few Anons that went to bat for rose before the movie came out saying that I liked her.
After seeing it i would say that is no longer the truth, what a terrible character with a terrible forced romance with Finn. Her sister would have been more interesting, and I hate generic hot looking Asian women because animu.
So yea anyone else in the same boat?

How to fix the ST:
>in TFA have Kylo tell Rey about how ineffective the New Republic was at helping worlds because their fear of becoming the Empire led to a drastic reduction in the size of the government and it's abilities to help people
>keep the lines Kylo has during his scene with Lor San Tekka where he says he doesn't want to harm the villagers but feels he must because Tekka blurts out too much information on his past
>give Finn and TR-8R some lines that show that they both want to help the galaxy but TR-8R is misguided and doesn't realize how evil the First Order is
>remove Starkiller Base
>make Poe help Finn and Han save Rey from Kylo
>in TLJ replace Rose with one of Finn's stormtrooper friends who he convinces to defect
>have the stormtrooper friend's arc be based around him realizing both sides are shitty and good in different ways and that in war good and evil are complicated issues
>remove Canto Bight, just make it where Finn's stormtrooper friend is getting together a plan to sneak onto the Supremacy using info he knows
>have Finn and the stormtrooper still get captured when it's revealed that Phasma knew of the friend's defection all along and allowed it to happen to get more info on the Resistance and capture Finn
>emphasize that divisiveness and war in the galaxy are destroying everything
>have Kylo try to convince Rey to join him to burn the galaxy down so it can start anew because he foresees an endless cycle of war between Separatists/Republic, Rebels/Empire, and the Resistance/First Order
>have Rey agree with his realization but disagree with his solution. Rey still believes that hope and doing the right thing will ultimately lead to the peace and stability the galaxy needs
>end the movie with Rey hearing Luke's voice as he calls her to visit an ancient temple and her accepting that instead of fighting with the Resistance she must continue her training so the Jedi can help rebuild the galaxy after the war is finished

But that's wrong, you fucking retard.

>even in episode 6, the end of his arc, he's borderline falling to the dark side choking out innocent guards, wearing black, and making threats.
Good thing that's not where the movie ends, nor do those things constitute the end of his arc.

My feelings on TLJ are mixed more than outright negative (I think it mostly did the best it could with Luke given what TFA left for it) but I don't really think your examples give it any further justification aside from making it apparent Luke was always broadly imperfect.

It's never treated as such in the previous film. It's not treated as "A map to the first jedi temple". It's treated as "A map to Luke Skywalker, who happens to be at the temple".

It doesn't even make sense in the context of the story. Why would Luke go on a long, drawn out treasure hunt to a planet nobody even has a map to so he could die? He could have gone to a million other places that would be easier for him to get to. He implicitly brought the books with him(unless that paper has been in open damp air for literal thousands of years), so he didn't need to go there to do anything.

My own canon for the ST is that Luke went looking for the temple in order to find something that would help defeat Snoke.

that kiss they shared looked like they were in pain

Luke always being broadly imperfect IS justification.

I still like Rose if I ignore the kiss completely. Should have been Finn, Rose and Poe all going to CB, with Rose basically treating Finn as a surrogate older sibling rather than a romantic interest.

Call me foolish, but I have faith that JJ took the criticism to the heart and challenges himself. After all, he went on the record that he loved TLJ's script and that Rian went in the direction he himself would go. So perhaps, he isn't as blind and rigid as we think of him to be.

I'll give him extra points if the blades are similarly unstable as Kylo's, as a result of the kyber in Anakin's saber breaking.

Rose is emblemetic of TLJ's problems. She's in the movie because Johnson couldn't think of any good Finn/Poe dialogue, and she's an awkward nerd who talks like a 2017 awkward nerd because that's what Rian likes, and she hates rich people because of Rians politics making all of them evil dicks.

It's the same with that guard fight scene. They all have ninja turtle weapons because Rian thinks they're cool, but they're like royal guard because Rian liked them in the OT and wanted them to have a cool fight scene.

You can go through the whole movie like that. Rian made this movie for the things he specifically likes, not because they'd be good filmmaking.

Nah, I'm not a permavirgin

It doesn't matter, you're all going to see the movies and give them your money anyway. If you're not going to bother doing anything to change it stop bitching about it like it actually matters to you.

To be fair she literally crashed into him. I'm surprised he didn't have any broken bones but he must of been bruised all over.

Still a shit scene though.

>yfw it's an old character's lightsaber

A dickGIRL is still a girl user, search your feelings, you know this to be true.

But that's the thing. We don't know when he and Lor San Tekka charted the path to Ahch-To. He might have gone there two decades ago, collected the Jedi knowledge and left again, only to return there to exile himself after Ben fell. For spiritual reasons, of course. The last Jedi, passing away in the birthplace of the religion, taking the last remnants of the Jedi wisdom away with him.

>mfw didn't see the shit jedi

Way to cherrypick. Regardless of user' s examples being earlier in the movie, Luke was never set up to be a perfect Jedi. Regardless of that, his arc in TLJ was great because his views on the Jedi lined up perfectly with what's been shown in current canon.

Damn, Kylo looks like THAT!?

Only if you hold his character in stasis. People don't take issue with Luke failing; I think what bothers people is the specific nature and context of his failure.

Personally, I love the idea of Luke being a little bitter or hesitant and Hamill did a great job, but the actual road to it isn't very compelling to me at all.

>check pahael for this edit
>its not there
Why must you lie user

When does Rebels start again?

This is a common theme I've been seeing. A lot of the decisions in TLJ aren't necessarily bad. They were just poorly executed.

>He doesn't know about the imgur link

unknown, but it's assumed to be in late January as with all the other seasons.

What if the Supremacy shows up in IX all patchwork and covered in scaffolding a la the DSII?

Guide me oh master of /swco/ dickgirls

It wasn't even that damaged. All they have to do is reattach the wing.

I disagree. I think the execution was fine and even good, but the ideas were bad.

I don't see the point of turning Luke into another Yoda.

This needs an edit with either Ahsoka, SS, Chuchi or Hera desu.

movietime.guru/the-empire-strikes-back-ruined-star-wars-df4e6c5f647c

top kek

In all honesty that's probably what we were always going to get.

Watch Looper. It tells too much of the story through narrator telling rather than narrative showing. It meanders around a bit and doesn't have a terribly likable cast. Characters just kind of disappear from the plot when they need to and appear again when the time comes. Some characters motivations aren't revealed until it's too late to care and after the thing that motivates them is gone they keep going for no reason anyway. The VFX are inconsistent with how some things are meant to look. The world seems cool at first glance but a lot of concepts just kind of get ignored except for window dressing.

The difference since that's a one and done self contained film you can ignore most of that and just think it was cool. For the connecting part of a trilogy with a big franchise you absolutely can't do that.

Meant for

You know every time that list grows I have to wonder if anyone in the galaxy DOESN'T have a dick.

> I have faith that JJ took the criticism to the heart

ha ha, why?

The first then the second.

Luke

Seriously J.J. has over the years proven himself to be a master of lies and empty promises. He didn't even want to do any SW movies but Disney basically begged him after everyone else either refused or got fired.

>Turns Star Trek into Star Wars
>Didn't even want to do actual Star Wars

what an absolute madman

I know he said he's not doing it, but I want your opinion

strawpoll.me/14663223

They could do something like the Ravager with it where it's barely holding together

I'd like for it to show up again given that it "only" lost a wing and that it probably used up a ton of resources to build to just throw away.

>Would you enjoy a Rian Johnson..

no

Yea that was my impression too. I was really excited to see what he could do... Then we got TFA. After TLJ however I can't wait to see what JJ does with the status quo he's been handed.

Well he's getting a trilogy either way

Looper would have been shit if it weren't for the ending. The film was awesome until it hit the farm

He also said he's read no eu books or eu comics but he has played the Kotor games...

I like that Luke got the better of Kylo using complete non-violence

Yeah that was a cool scene

We got the best of both. Luke gets to stay true to non-violence, us fans got to see him show up, save the day, and act like a boss. Perfection.

sauce please

The best part is he baits Kylo into striking him down with all his anger only for that to not pay off at all. Kylo gains nothing from this except humiliation.