"I just can't get into Superman, he's too powerful"

Have you tried a dildo made of kryptonite?

He literally is too powerful, though? They invented a magical weakness button just to stop him from being unkillable.

A character doesn't need to risk dying to be interesting/fun.
They just need to have something they can lose

It's easier to relate to an autistic insane guy running around dress like a bat.

I just can't relate!

Sure,why the fuck not.

So,I used to be that guy. I’m a Marvel fag at heart but DC wise I really love the bat family. Batman I could always resonate with mainly because it didn’t seem TOO far fetched. To me it hit closer to home and emotions I could get behind. It just seemed more “human”.

A friend and I in college had this talk and Superman was his favorite hero.
>Superman’s just too OP for me user,I can’t get behind it. I would like to! Believe me.

>Well,try this. It breaks down his character a lot more.

He gave me All-Star Superman to read.
I must say,that It changed my entire perspective of Superman.

Superman isn’t the same story and isn’t from the same perspective of “I’m just a man. Overcoming these trials for loved ones,for myself.” No,It’s putting you in a place of

>I’m a “god” to these people
>so they see me as
>With all of this power comes SO much expectation,but I am no god.
>Even I,The SUPER MAN can do so much.

It tackles other issues such as human expectation,self expectation,being held to a standard because of how you are,failures and feats at a level NO ONE could fully comprehend, and the loneliness that comes with it all.

Superman to me is sometimes this Symbol if irony. He shoots lasers,has almost every power off of the top of ones head,but the thing that makes him Super (in good reads) is despite being almost LITERALLY the farthest thing from it (literal Alien) his ability to be more human then human.

To all anons that think the “Superman’s too OP” please reconsider. I haven’t read much Superman and I’m assuming there are some GOLDEN stories as well as the shit ones. Someone please post some quality Supes stories for us newcomers.

It's just too unrelatable. Some guy who was born with great powers and was raised by good parents are the best. Look at all those privilege. Can't it be some indian guy with the power of Superman? Even chink Superman take orders from white Superman. White supramacy much? Hated Superman because it make it look like that only white people can be the best and the goodest. And fuck no. Your SJW shit isn't representing the rest of the world. They are represent the mentally disturb.

This is fucking stale. Always in this kind of thread, there are people like this trying to argue that Superman isn't shit. Just stop. You guys give the same suggestions. 2-4 books and than just stopped. Trying to argue that only those represent the real Superman. Go fuck yourself.

The concept is way too interesting for capeshit. I don't expect Batman to say anything good about Nietzsche. I expect him to fight sharks with shark-repellent. You could do interesting scenes and stories with Superman, but I know its going to be political nonsense, stupid and/or soap opera. Stardust and One Punch make for better Superman than Superman does, but they're pure comedy. At least they're interesting in that the former doesn't take any shit from anyone and the latter is getting depressed at being a hero.

What should I expect from Superman then, if not fashionable politics, silly nonsensical stuff or drama on bar of cucking?
>Ohno I can only save so many people
>Ohno I can't save them from themselves
>Ohno Lex is Trump
>Ohno the poor niggers in africa, and the Cubans
>Ohno I can't stop the war economy
>Ohno Louis is hormonally unbalanced
>Ohno I'm getting cuck'd
>Ohno cryptonite mcguffin

You MUST be clinically retarded you closested half-done Quaker oat mother fucker.

You didn’t even read my fucking post, and still went through with slapping your hotdogs all of the keyboard.

Re-read.
Try again.

Then proceed to get shit on.

Haven’t even read more then 2 Supes stories.

Favorite hero is Spider-Man.

And I’ve asked everyone else in this thread (Retards need not apply,clearly) to please share some interesting Superman stories. I know of none.

Not you retard. The order of events that usually happen in thread like this are.
>act like you know nothing about Superman
>then say that you read some of it, one of the best books actually and ask is there some more
>then some generous user gives you like 2-3 more
>then continue to argue the whole thread with only these and keep constantly referring back to your own post
But we both know that you know this. Stop pretending and go fuck yourself.

I can't get into Superman because he's a giant faggot.

nonwhite fans of Superman prove you're a faggot

The problem isn't that Superman is too powerful, it's that he's that powerful and yet not a massive cunt. Cynics don't want to believe that's possible.

But Superman is a total dickhead. That's a big part of why he's unlikable.

I think you have Superman confused with Captain Marvel/Shazam. You know, the BETTER Superman.

>Implying Superdickery isn't the best part of the character

Too powerful for what?

I'm sure we all find a guy who can remake reality if he bathes in the sun for a thousand years totally fucking relatable.

Plutonian was the best superman.

bitch got raped by a transgender magitech using nerd

Modeus was pretty hot.

This.
/thread

>Superman
>remake reality
Thanks for showing you don’t know shit about Superman.

It was originally brought in as part of the radio drama because the person voicing Superman was unavailable, and they had an extra just groan in pain for several episodes to simulate Superman temporarily being captured by a kryptonite trap before the guy was back at work.

Supposedly it then migrated to the comics because one of the editors at the time, Dorothy Wolfok, thought he was a boring male fantasy and liked the radio drama.

70% of fiction isn’t “””relatable””” at all you insipid retard. I know calling you a retard won’t sway you and will only make you dig your heels into the ground further; I don’t care. I didn’t make the character, i have no sentiment over how well-liked he is, it is objectively ignorant of you to act like him being physically stronger than you makes him “””unrelatable””” news flash 100% of heroes are stronger than you, even Batman. I ‘m afraid for someone when they can’t at least respect Superman’s signifigance to the medium (holding the character made in the 30’s to the standard of characters made in the 60s/70s is blatantly ignorant) what I believe is that his spiritual strength is what’s unrelatable to you. The fact that he will always do the right thing, take full responsibility for the consequences of his actions and unconditionally love his friends and family.

I hate this argument that there’s only a handful of suggestions for Superman, too. That’s just so you have something convenient to read to get into the character, you lazy tards which are complaining about it likely haven’t even read a single one of them, or that a character needs thousands of stories to be good? Never read a novel? Those are pretty cut and dry. His Silver Age stuff is all genius, hilarious and engaging, John Byrne’s Man of Steel is genuinely inspiring and beautiful, any grab-bag of 70s/80s issues will be solid stuff, he only straight up stopped getting good comics post-2000 due to post9-11 cynicism and shit. I’m sure some other user can suggest plenty of post2000 stuff too

what a thread

lol, calm down

Nah, but I'm sure you can rant on and on about how poifect he is.

writers who reduce superman's powers just have really shit imagination. It's so frustrating to watch superman struggle in a fight. When superman arrives the bad guys should be fucked instantly.

Superman is too powerful. It might be good for a story or two on how hard it is to be too powerful, but it's hard to present him with a proper challenge that isn't his inner demons. Either it will result in ridiculous contrivances or ridiculous arm race.

Invulnerability is villain's power, really. Doesn't work for heroes very well in general.

>When superman arrives the bad guys should be fucked instantly.
That might be a good point, but what's left for Superman, if when he arrives bad guys are already fucked?

Investigative work? But you don't really need superpowers for that, so it's kind of a waste, no?

Yes. This.

Well, user, everyone of us are pretty mislead about that. People tends to say Batman is more relatable but all is about the writing.

Batman is OP depending on the writer too. Only cloaked on that illusion of human weakness. But what human weakness is valid after that exaggerated prep time? He can even defeat the whole JLA with "the right amount of time".

Do you see him in human levels, really? He becomes just a presence of all knowledge that you're expecting to win with the reveal of a plan who fits there. I prefer to see him in the Bruce Tim level. It seems weird now to see Bats being knocked down by a henchman.

Also Goku, levels up infinitely and he's okay. So the "too powerful argument" is not the real problem. It's not.

All is about the writing but sadly, those past years were and are still being about being "extreme" and Clark is too boy scout to fit there and hence to be understood easily for those writers. Writing him is not so hard if you focus on what he really is.

>Batman is OP depending on the writer too.
Batman is only OP in a sense that he's a protagonist who will likely win because plot. He's not really OP in terms that he's invincible.

Any thug with machine gun can kill Batman. Of course, Batman won't actually get killed by some random thug (Or at all) but he'll need to get creative about it.

Superman can only be menaced something equally ridiculously powerful. Which often creates pretty stupid power creep instead of good stories.

100% of times, and I mean 100% percent of times, people who say that like some really shitty heroes like Sentry or Namor.

It all boils down to "the charcater has good stories?". If yes, then the character is good.

Superman has a lot of good stories, therefore he is good.

Namor and Sentry haven't good stories, therefore they are shit.

Do you like F4, user? Reed Richards can create a machine for literally all problems. How do you make a good story with him?

Captain America? Literally stronger than all his foes by a tenfold. How do you make an interesting story with him?

Was this a popular criticism for the animated series back in the '90s? Most kids I knew liked S:TAS as much as B:TAS back then.

People who used to watch S: TAS knew that this criticism is bullshit.

The criticism comes from people that don't read Superman. They are talking out of their asses.

>Batman is only OP in a sense that he's a protagonist who will likely win because plot

No , user. That's not called op. That's simply that the hero would win using his capabilities.

I'm also counting on that, of course. Hero should win. But you can rely on the, "he's mortal" part to say he's not op.

As I said his brain capabilities makes him OP. Those go also ridiculous to the point that it doesn't matters if he can be killed by a gun. You don't fear much for his fate in those writings. You just know "He's Batman" so it's normal that he solves everything just for coming into the scene.

We need to separate what are we talking about. Character being highly invulnerable or character being OP. because those are complete different things.

>You don't fear much for his fate in those writings
I don't want to fear for his life, rather, I want him to get creative. To outsmart his enemies, more or less.

Superman has accumulated so many retarded powers that he needs to seriously job to have to get creative in most situations. Because most situations he can just punch into sun.

>Superman has accumulated so many retarded powers that he needs to seriously job to have to get creative in most situations
Are you aware that Thor, Blue Marvel, Miss America, Sentry, Dr. Strange and Dr. Doom have way more "bullshit powers" than Superman?

Are you aware that Superman has enemies that simply cannot be defeated physically, he HAS to be creative dealing with them?

No, you are not, because you clearly don't read comics.

I thought the 90s series was pretty good

Dude, just stop.

Stop what?

If a guy says that 3 plus 3 is 4, I'll correct him. This is basically what I'm doing here.

So, from those writings, you like from Bats the same things you said you hate from Sups.
He always win, so there's no problem of him being OP. You just want to see how he does it.

What's the problem then?

No it's not.

What I'm doing, then?

What he said is true? Anything I said was untrue?

The guy was wrong and I corrected him. Sorry if that hurt you somehow.

>If a guy says that 3 plus 3 is 4
Uh... wow, user. I think I'll stop discussing now. Have a nice day.

>Are you aware that Thor, Blue Marvel, Miss America, Sentry, Dr. Strange and Dr. Doom have way more "bullshit powers" than Superman?
>Are you aware that Superman has enemies that simply cannot be defeated physically, he HAS to be creative dealing with them?
This isn't a "correction"at all and literally all Superman does is punch harder after getting his ass kicked the first time.
>The guy was wrong and I corrected him. Sorry if that hurt you somehow.
Haha, funny.

Nah man, I went through a bunch of post crises Superman comics a few months back and they did a pretty good job of him having to be creative.

A dude storytimed a few Superman runs about a month or so back that were pretty good and aren't the things that are normally tossed around in these threads.The ones that stood out to me as neat was one wheret a kryptonian demon hitched a ride on baby supes rocket. It didn't go anywhere past that story but I thought the idea of supes having to deal with remnants of his culture beyond Zod or random science stuff was a cool idea that i'd like to see brought back sometime. The other one I liked was about an old black lady that thought he was an angel she could summon and used him for what amounted as an attack dog.

>The guy says something wrong
>Uses a math comparison to explain that there's nothing wrong with correcting people that are wrong
>OH MY GOD I CAN'T EVEN
Why are you so sensitive?

Did I say something untrue? What was he saying was correct?

>This isn't a "correction"at all and literally all Superman does is punch harder after getting his ass kicked the first time.
Show me one time where Superman won against Mr. Mxy punching him.

Also, how do you make a good Thor story? He literally just punches his problems.

>Show me one time where Superman won against Mr. Mxy punching him.
Literally who?
>Also, how do you make a good Thor story? He literally just punches his problems.
You make the problem not something he can punch obv.

>Literally who?

>>Show me one time where Superman won against Mr. Mxy punching him.
>Literally who?
So, you CLEARLY have never read Superman, is completely wrong and wants to argue when people that know better than you say that you are wrong?

Why, exactly, are you doing this?

>Literally who?
The state of Sup Forums, ladies and gentlemen.

>So, you CLEARLY have never read Superman, is completely wrong and wants to argue when people that know better than you say that you are wrong?
Can you even put together a coherent sentence?

DON'T MAKE FUN OF HIM, user!

Don't correct him. He is right, Mr. Mxyzptlk is a character that doesn't exist and Superman solves all his problems just punching them into the sun.

DON'T CORRECT HIM! It's not fair to do it.

>Literally who?

Why did you avoid the question?

You clearly know nothing about the subject, but wants to argue anyway. Why? Why do you think you know better than people that actually know the subject?

I want to understand your autism.

fyi the reason people are making fun of you is because if you have any knowledge of Superman at all, you should be fully aware of who Mr.Mxy is. He's basically a character that was created decades ago to tackle the very issue you're bitching about. His whole deal is that he's magical and he can only be stopped by tricking him into saying his name backwards, he even has a built in gimmicks where he shows up every few months.

lol superman just punches him user lol he just punches his enemies lol its all superman does he punches people lol have you ever read a superman story he just punches his problems away trust me i don't know this mxy guy but i'm sure superman just punches him into the sun lol his stories are always like this.

and if you try to correct me you are wrong.

Dude, work on your grammar for fucks sake. And as for the question, this entire fucking thread is subjective. I can bring up anything Superman I've read before but you can still say I'm wrong. At this point you trying to prove me wrong is just a way for you to stroke your own ego.Your retarded way of explaining how your "correction" worked is proof of this. To you, Superman is perfect and is perfect because he's perfect. To me, he's boring shit that ruins stories he crossovers into. Later, I'm out of this pointless circlejerk.

And this is the height of "Fuck Superman" pussies.

>Wants to argue
>Clearly has never read a Superman comic
>Is buttfucked
>"I'M OUT YOU ARE BEING MEAN TO ME TO STROKE YOUR OWN EGO"
Pathetic.

The sad thing is that a friend of mine back in highschool legitimately thought this. I brought up the fact that in interesting Hulk stories, Hulk is confronted by a conflict he can't resolve by punching it. Superman is the same way. His response was that Hulk is smarter than Superman and capable of figuring things out, whereas Superman was too dumb as a character to ever be used that way.

We are no longer friends.

>Later, I'm out of this pointless circlejerk.
Please don't come back. This board is bad enough as it is.

Not him but considering you didn't even know who Mr.Mxy is, it's painfully obvious that you don't know anything about Superman beyond a very very casual level. You almost certainly have never read him in anything but a team or crossover book which makes me question why you have such strong feelings about this.

Every person I've met in real life who says Superman sucks has been a huge pussy with shit morals. They can't comprehend the idea of using powers for good without receiving anything in return.

You don't even know who Mister Mxyzptlk is and you're gonna sit here and pretend you know anything about Supes?

Fuck off back to tumblr you shitpiston

I know people think this is a pretentious way of thinking, but it really makes sense.

Eh, I have pretty shit morals and I get supes just fine because i'm not autistic or are about muh realism

The kind of people who start those "Superman is lame" topics

Seriously Pat read more fucking Superman

>i mean poorly written

who is this Pat?

To get into.

The issue isn't how powerful he is, it's how boring his personality is.

Think superman is over powered

Not really, he can use his powers in various ways to solve mysteries. Silver Age Superman was really good at this.

My main problem with superman is he never has to grow in strength or faces someone stronger.
For example every sorry of supermen is
>I'm superman I'm the strongest there is!
>What you punch me superman?!
>I punch you!

This often solves the problem.
If not its
>What you are not defeated?!
>I punch you! Harder!

And repeat this cycle forever.

> They are talking out of their asses.

I have to say that I'm not the biggest superman reader however in all the stories i did read it was forever this trope.

I don't give a shit if you are a normal human or a galaxy annihilating god, if you are not facing people on your level or above and need to deal with it 100% of the time the story is boring.

For example:
>Death of superman
Basically taken to the extrema and surreal to the point of comedy.
Superman punches doomsday harder and harder without trying to think or use strategies until both of them killed one another, and then superman returns do to bullshit.
(only used to for demonstration purposes)

>Superman: Red Son
Story is good however if there was some challenge for SM it would be better, superman is the least interesting part of the story and wins every fight after
>I punch you! Harder!

>Superman: Emperor Joker
Story is Ok and i liked it however the same problem, only superman is retarded in here.
Joker has 99% of Mr. Mxy powers and defeats superman every time.
However superman continues to try to
>I punch you! Harder!
The sotry is saved by joker havign a mental break down over his obsesion over batman and Mr. Mxy takes his powers back.

The most retarded moment is when superman threatens Mr. Mxy if he pulled this shit he will be coming for him.
LOL WTF?! Superman can not do one single thing to Mr. Mxy what is he going to do force him to say his name backwards?
How? Because joker using 99% of Mr. Mxy powers was incapable of getting hurt and did have absolute dominion of reality.

Continuing about Mr. Mxy the problem with Mr. Mxy is that he is not really a antagonist only a trickster that fools around with superman and vanishes after his game requirements (trick him into saying his name backwards) are fulfilled.

If he is not written like a idiot who is childishly easy to trick he is not that powerful see:
>Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
Here Mr. Mxy is killed after superman points the Phantom Zone projector on him.
Its told that this was do to Mr. Mxy trying to escape however its implied that Mr. Mxy can not escape once trapped in the Phantom Zone.

I'm not the biggest superman reader however are there even a handful of stories where superman faces a actual threat and needs to overcome it with dedication and smarts not some irrelevant or deus ex machina batman (joker) bullshit or something that resolves the threat in seconds "Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" ?

I'm actually interested.

Some angry ginger gremlin who does lets plays and only ever read All-Star Superman, which got him to, for some daft reason, sympathize with Lex Luthor.

He has absolutely no good taste in comics like the rest of the people he plays games with.

>"What's 2+2?"
>"And don't say 4!"

I like Superman but have little interest in reading stories soley about him, and I can admit why. It's not that he's too powerful or too boring or any of that, it's because of me, I am a piece of shit admittedly and most media I consume is for the glorification of violence, and justifying my own violent fantasies. I still am comforted that a Superman exists to be a sort of father figure/ideal for people to strive for, but I'll read Punisher over it any day of the week.

>"What's 2+2?"
>"And don't say 4!"
2+2 = 5-1
Get on my level.

That page is executed horribly. I understand it's supposed to be a moment of serious turmoil but superman looks retarded, in an unprofessional and off model type of way. I would be embarrassed if I drew that page.

If somebody actually thinks like this, they need to go to church or see a therapist.

That is not wrong.

I bet Beowulf never had to deal with this kind of criticism.

Beowulf deals with that kind of criticism literally in his own story.

>Characterfags

Always good for a laff.

What do you think about American Alien by Max Landis?

But Beowulf ends with the faggot dying though.

Ikr, the autism is astounding.