Why are people crying that the electoral college is undemocratic and biased when it has been the way of voting in...

Why are people crying that the electoral college is undemocratic and biased when it has been the way of voting in America since like a hundred years? What is it really?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_No._68
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

NH was like 200 vote difference

it should have been red

Liberal is the one defend it when Obama winning.
But when Trump win...

>muh choice of slavemaster didn't win
Just let the children cry until they're blue in the face, they forget about it in a few days when the media tells them what to be salty at next.

Thank your Masshole transplants for that.

Obama won both popular votes as well as the electoral college.

God bless the mighty red woods.

The electoral college was created so that people in lesser populated areas had more of a voice.

Otherwise candidates would just campaign in large city centers.

This way there are 50 separate elections. Each amount of delegates is determined by the population of the states relative to the others.

Kinda surprised San Diego county went so blue. Trump just didn't bother with California.

Because their candidate lost, obviously

I'd like a reverse of that with the new red states covered with AmeriKKKa. Blue states can be

Thanks. So this means that the electoral college actually gives voice to the minority?

Western New Yorker here
Smiled the entire morning when I heard that trump won

I live in Mass and haven't really seen any notable reactions, just Puerto Ricans joking about getting deported and old white people with a kick in their step.

It's is undemocratic, user, as it should be. There's a reason the founding fathers made us a representative republic.

Not necessarily, but it protects too much control from a majority.

The electoral college system is ludicrous.

Your vote literally doesn't count unless you are in a battleground state. In no way is that a good thing.

I wish NYC would leave

Thanks.

>as it should be

But why?

Reminder that trump is a fraud and if he had won the popular vote and lost, he'd be crying about the election for years

The reason the popular vote and eletoral college do not match is simple. When republicans when they do so without cali. Cali has the most people and has its electoral vote capped at 55. All of which were properly given to clinton. If it was raised to reflect the current population then cali would have like 100 votes, not very fair now is it? Now if we did away with the EC all together, again states like cali would basically always dictate the president. Leaving smaller states with little to no say in anything. My only issue with the electoral college is that the individuals themselves can chose to change their vote. That is bullshit imo as they should be forced to vote per the states popular vote.

They should do it like maine where they split the delegates so your vote can actually matter in your area instead of a winner takes all.

People only cry about the electoral college when their candidate loses.

As far as I know its actually a ruling to maintain democracy specifically - cuz think about it, if everything was based off popular numbers then the city centres would be deciding everything, a place like California could basically rule the mid west. But by having this ruling it means it is not the person with the most voters who wins, but the person with the most widely spread out voters who wins. Also though this happened it can only happen in small numbers - as in Trump only had like 100,000 less which isn't a lot in such a large country. Most importantly however while unfair, this was not unbalanced - everyone faced this rule equally and for anyone to complain about it I highly they would do the same if the tables were turned - there is something so vile to this, like with people saying the brexit vote didn't count because a lot of people didn't vote - they claim to be fighting for democracy and I think thats the most vile dishonest thing ever, they only fight for their right to be arrogant

history doesn't know the word "if"

Yeah because of that my prediction was off by 2 fucking points

Try again

>In justifying the use of the Electoral College, Hamilton focuses on a few arguments dealing with why the college is used, as opposed to direct election. First, in explaining the role of the general populace in the election of the president, Hamilton argues that the "sense of the people", through the election of the electors to the college, should have a part of the process. The final say, however, lies with the electors, who Hamilton notes are

>"Men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice."

>Therefore, the direct election of the president is left up to those who have been selected by the voters to become the electors. The indirect election is justified by Hamilton because while a republic is still served, the system allows for only a certain type of person to be elected president, preventing individuals who are unfit for a variety of reasons to be in the position of chief executive of the country.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_No._68

3*
Damn phone keyboard

Theyre still counting votes you nigger

>fraud

Something tells me, you don't have any understanding of that word due to your terrible nig-tier context.

FUCK MASS SPICS REEEEEEEEEE

>Have a friend in California
>He's a bit upset
>Blogs @ me something like this
>Why do we even have the electoral college?
>What the fuck do the founding fathers even know? They were all slave owners that died in their 50s.
>It gives too much power to small states.
>Tell him that's the entire point of it
>He says how would I know I'm not even American
it hurt desu

So in tl;dr the Electoral College is completely fine as it filters unfit candidates and at the same time does not let the majority decide alone.

Stayed one night in redding it was fucking hot a hell.

The college was originally designed to completely ignore popular vote. Arguments that suggest that it is illegitimate because it does not respect the popular vote are completely wrong. That is the purpose of the college.

Come on fag leave MA out of this, we're not as insane as the west coast

missing the point that Trump himself stated the Electoral College is undemocratic

face it, both liberals and conservatives are whining about the EC because they think it going in one direction will benefit their party

but, at the base of it, the EC was meant as a compromise between population centers like Virginia and less-populated areas like Georgia. It's by no means a very good system.

I see, thanks.

see

Because it is undemocratic.

see we have a republic, not a democracy.

cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck

So let's say I don't like the current structure of a company I work for but I'm stuck in this company. I don't like how you get promoted, the best way to change that would be to be promoted to the top and then change it from there. He's just using the in place system to rise to the top. Same way Hillary stole the nomination from Bernie, by getting all the super delegates.

Using the only path to become president, but not liking the system doesn't make you a fraud.