About to start reading this all the way through...

About to start reading this all the way through, is it worth getting all the old phonebooks or paying 99 bucks for digital versions? Are there any good torrents?

After Sim started filling issues with anti-feminist rants and theology essays, does it really go to shit as much as everyone says?

Other urls found in this thread:

cerebusonline.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dude, Sim literally released the first two phonebooks for free.
Just wait until he dies since Cerebus immediately goes public domain
The series becomes nearly unreadable and unfocused after Sim goes nuts but the ending is 10/10

wait, never mind I misremembered the first part

The book is great. Fuck feminists.

>Sim literally released the first two phonebooks for free.

Not true, but Dave Sim does give a free pass to anyone that pirates Cerebus.

Sim encourages people to torrent this.

Also, Sim lost most of the original art, so good scans are almost impossible to find.

Be warned, the penultimate arc is nearly impossible to read on a computer screen. because it's so text/font heavy.

there was/is a tumblr that was posting a page a day. no idea where they are

anyway Sim doesn't give a shit

>started filling issues with anti-feminist rants and theology essays
That's not until the last 100 issues, and even then, most of the essays are in the backmatter. I have the first eleven phonebooks and I don't regret buying them at all. Though, I probably won't buy any more. The series constantly changes, and the change after #200 is the one that finally ran me off. The art/lettering continues to improve throughout the entire series, but the actual narrative content of the back third didn't interest me at all.

So, how does Dave Sim make a living these days? I'd assume he made quite a lot from Cerebus's original run that he could do nothing for the rest of his life, but I must imagine his therapy bills have taken a bite out of his savings.

>therapy bills
He doesn't go to therapy, doctors are evil and incompetent. His wrists are fucked too but he refuses to go see doctors about that too since they wouldn't know how to treat him.
He's doing Cerebus in Hell? now. Basically shopping Cerebus pictures on Gustave Dore illustrations of Dante's Inferno with funny lines put in.

Apparently he's still re-scanning all the old art and using it to issue new versions of the phonebooks too, I think they've done three or four of them.

cerebusonline.tumblr.com/

What's with all the Cerebus threads lately?

Maybe it's Dave advertising.

The phonebooks look very good on a shelf if you've got the space

Why couldn't they get a happy ending?

Because they were never in love
Lust is not true love and some people are just unlovable/cannot find love

Because Dave decided that Jaka was actually evil all along. Everyone was fooled, you, me, Cerebus, Dave himself...

Truly women are fiendish beasts.

Sim has really solid anatomy and a good sense of dimension in general but he never really got hands down

Dave Sim in 1988
>"I admire the character [of Jaka] far more than any of the other characters in the book.... [she] is someone I would happily spend a lot of time with. She embodies those qualities I always look for in a woman. She has a very simple way of thinking for which she is unapologetic. She's loaded with common-sense and self-confidence. She is direct and has a low threshold for bull-shit. She has virtually no interest in material possessions though she has an appreciation of them. She is almost certainly on the top rung of the karmic ladder and won't be back for another life-time."

Dave Sim in 2001
>"For the first time he [Cerebus] was able to see Jaka precisely as she was and as she is and as she always would be: a spoiled, myopic, insensitive, self-absorbed and self-important harlot princess (quite apart from her position in the heirarchy of the city-state of Palnu)."

RICK DID NOTHING WRONG

Shit, now I feel guilty for downloading them for free.

Bitches and whores.

Bitches and whores indeed.

man, poor dave
@_@

Because Cerebus is an asshole.

Sad.

>After Sim started filling issues with anti-feminist rants and theology essays, does it really go to shit as much as everyone says?
Reads and Latter Days are unreadable.

How come people only ever talk about the psychotic misogynist rants and never about the actual stories?

Mostly because of drama, but starting around "Going Home" those attitudes start bleeding into the comic proper and greatly contribute to the drop in quality.

Wait, what was bad about Reads? It's been a while since I read it.

>Going Home
But that's book 13/16. Surely there's something worth discussing in the 12 books before that.

The ranting started affecting the actual stories. Go read and tell me that Jaka got the ending she deserved.

To me the series felt unsatisfied because the stories didn't work individually nor together.
>Wait, what was bad about Reads? It's been a while since I read it.
The arc had an issue or two worth of comics and 200 pages of trite text.

So am I to understand that there was never any point in the series when it WASN'T just psychotic misogynist rants? Because if that's all it ever was I understand why nobody ever talks about any of that.

After Church & State II the story nose dives, other people might say a couple more chapters on, but the story never hits the high points of C&S again.

Cerebus isn't known or cared for its plot.

awesome, thanks reply box, great premature posting job. Sorry. Not known or cared for its plot, but its technical construction.

Since we barely talk about how good comics get made instead of bitching about lazy art and dialogue and story, you won't see a lot of chatter about it. But it's basically the Greco-Roman architecture of comics.

Sure, the Egyptians and Aztecs had some architecture too, but most of the world was living in mud and wood while these assholes were crafting marble palaces and amphitheaters.

Is that the part that had the written debate between Astoria and Cirin?

Because everyone knows about the misogynist shit, most people haven't put in the time to read the entire 300 issue series

bump

Some people say you should skip the first 25 issues, but all of the ones I've read so far (10 or so) are pretty good.

They're pretty okay Conan parodies.

Because people read the misogyny and never read the stories.

How are you possibly getting that impression from Dave Sim's 1988 quote?

No, it was published for 27 years, and only in the last 10 or so did he change his politics, form his own religion, and let the ranting take over the comic.

The first 25 issues are great and make the jump from conan parody into insane political allegories much better. I hate people who say to skip them, they're very fun reads and seeing how Sim's artstyle and writing evolves is always a treat. Also, you'd miss the introduction of tons of key characters.

Oh fuck off, the real reason is that Cerebus was never meant to live a domestic life while Jaka wanted to, Cerebus was legitimately incapable of settling down (for obvious reasons) but felt he had an obligation to try because of MUH LOVE, and fucked it up

Because nonreader outragefaggots outnumber actual readers at least 2-1 on this board in general and 10-1 in terms of Cerebus

Oh bull fucking shit Mothers and Daughters is really good.

clearly, I agree

Reads is definitely the start of "Sim actively trying to run his readers off," but otherwise Mothers & Daughters is masterful.

I'm only posting these two issues so as not to spoil any of the series climax, but I think it's important for people to see what the series was like when it was firing on all cylinders.

It's also important to remember that Cerebus pioneered the idea of stories being written with the collected edition in mind.

I bought all the phonebooks at a used book store for less than 10 each. I still haven't read them.

Which has been absolutely cancerous for the big 2, though it's not really Sim's fault the editors are retarded.
Also Dave knew how to make an issue with a good ending that still had a longer story

Oh for sure.

I love the way he letters for telepaths

the end for now.
for all of my problems with the back third of the series, it's almost worth reading for the lettering alone.

Thanks user

Is there any other artist who has such a dramatic difference in quality between their oldest books and their newer work? Miura has improved Berserk a lot over the years but his early art is still better than the earliest Cerebus art for the most part.

i dunno, most cape artists kinda stagnate once they get something that works fast enough. more bc you gotta get it out the door every 30 days

Anyone who tells you to skip any part of seminal works is a fucking retard who never should be listened to.

>Just wait until he dies since Cerebus immediately goes public domain
That's not how that works at all

>hurf durf I'm fucking retarded
Sim literally wrote it into his will that it's gonna work like that you fucking dipshit. Stop commenting on things you know nothing about, stay out of Cerebus threads until you read the comic.

SSSSSSSTORYTIME

my bad, i just looked it up and realized i was wrong before i saw your comment. it's an honest mistake, no need to be an asshole about it.
>inb4 more insults and muh secret club bullshit

>October 1991
>May 2001
just for some context.

Not really an honest mistake when you take a contemptuous tone with someone who knows more than you, and the fact that it obviously was very different from a standard PD law didn't tip you off means you're a smug faggot. And you really shouldn't come into these threads before you've read the comic. It's not a secret club, it's so you don't act like a dumb faggot like you already have.
Sorry, Wifi issues

I mean, yeah, that user was lacking in self-awareness, but
>it's not a secret club, you just shouldn't talk to me you filthy fucking casual until you've read the series
slightly mixed message there.