Why do writers think revealing a superhero's identity is a good idea?

Why do writers think revealing a superhero's identity is a good idea?

It rarely does and just leads to a huge asspull to retcon it. The only person that it worked for was Tony Stark and Matt Murdock and only because having them go rock bottom made for interesting stories. Everyone else just gets put in a corner and a universe wide mindwipe is needed to fix the mess.

Because you can only write about so much.

It worked for Kenan Kong

Sometimes it works out well, cause sometimes when you need to get through to someone you need to appear more human.

Cause it makes internet news among morons

Kenan is a new character, his mother works for the government and his father is an underground activist. He was a bully and had no actual friends. His love interest is either the reporter or Flash.

He's really not put in any more trouble by being known as a superhero.

It's only ok when Tony does it.

>[thing] is okay when Tony does it
>thing being
>space-gulags
>monopolization of tech
>corporate espionage
>political bias
>war
Wew!

Tony “works” because of the MCU and how all audiences now see the character not having a secret identity. Tony saying “I am Iron Man” was one of the biggest moments of the MCU.

If you can get the mainstream audiences behind a new status quo, then you can push it in the comics.

It's selfish writers who just want to create big moments for themselves, and don't care what problems it may create for other authors.

OP pic is just one of many, many reasons why Mark Millar is a piece of shit.

Tony I agree, but Murdoch's I vastly prefer not known.

It was actually very ironic when Spider-man revealed his identity. For 50 years Spider-Man stories had driven home the idea that revealing his identity will harm the people he loves and screw up everything. And there was only about two story arcs worth of stories between the three or four Spider-Man ongoings at the time that dealt with him dealing with the ramifications of that reveal. Back in Black and One More Day. Back in Black wasn't bad, but it's literally all they had before they decided there's nowhere else they can take Spider-Man from here. Crazy that they didn't have anymore ideas before resetting. I mean, Doc Ock was Spider-Man for longer than Pete revealed his identity. House of non-ideas amiright?

That's how capeshit works, it's about following the checklist in a random pattern.

Eventually every hero will have experienced broadly the same situations any other hero had a chance to experience.
They will loose their power, they will gain more awesome powers, they will get aged, the will deage, they will loose someone important, they will go to space, they will save a universe, visit alternate earth, they will get lost in time in the past, in the future, their identity will be revealed, they will have a large portion of their history retconned, they will kill the marvel universe, they will have 99 deadpool variants, they will be an avatar of some greater power and so on.

This just happens, it's called life, user.

Did Peter interact with Flash and his Daily Bugle friends before the retcon?

Wasted potential if he didn't.

Agreed.

If there is one thing out of many idiotic ones that came from Civil War was that part when Peter revealed his identity.

I mean, there is a ginormous reason why he'd hide his identity as Spider-Man.

And Civil War screwed it up really hard.

Shut the fuck up, Ghost!

Is Daredevil's identity still known? His identity has been revealed at least 3 times and retconned in the past. Born Again is the only time that it actually led to something interesting.

Back in Black was written knowing they'd retcon the reveal during the next arc. Almost everything he does there just screams "Yeah, this isn't going to stay in canon".

I like that he told Jameson recently.
Adds a lot to their dynamic. And i like Jameson acting all hero now that Spidey is family.

Cheap attention from people who stopped reading decades before but might be interested in seeing what happens.

This picture was on the front page of Drudge Report for a week when it happened.

Problem is Tony's been public with Iron Man in the comics almost from the start, minus a few early attempts to deflect that. They tried to make it secret but it rarely stuck, to the point that Tony being publically known as Iron Man basically is his status quo and always has been.

In fact that's part the course for most of Marvel, thanks to so many public in the spotlight heroes like Tony the FF, Captain America etc, to the point that Peter is the ONLY Marvel hero to regularly have a secret identity and it's kind of weird that he cares so much at this point.

Some writers forget Jonah is a good guy and keep shitting on him. Glad he's doing nice stuff now.

At the time he did it, it very much potentially put his father at risk, he was also specifically 'ordered' not to do any such thing, and we really have no way of knowing if he had any cast of non-powered friends or acquaintances.

It was also written as something somewhat inadvertent, coming from a place of braggadocio, immaturity, and frankly as much as I really like the book and the character, an example of his own base stupidity about such matters.