Did these awareness episodes ever work on you as a kid...

Did these awareness episodes ever work on you as a kid? Were you actually taught about the dangers of or turned away from drugs, guns, violence, etc because of these episodes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ELPlgKB9n8E
youtube.com/watch?v=n2uIyrTOQDA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not at all, hard to get the message when you've never done drugs. They are way more impactful as an adult whos become an addict, no matter how cheesey

I knew even then that it didn't matter because I'm fat. Nobody wanted to give me anything cool.

Nope. If you've never experienced those things before they might as well be warning you about flying spaghetti monsters and reptilian moon bases.

it worked too well. I never tried being adventurous or took risks as a kid and now as a middle aged virgin all I feel is a lingering sense of emptiness and disappointment.

"What could have been"

It's only truly too late when you're dead user

This. At lot of the PSA's I didn't get and were featured in cartoons that I stopped watching before 10. I use to think the PSA's about second-hand smoke meant that a bunch of second graders were taking up smoking and dying every year.

Mostly I just masturbated to them.

Not really. Instead there were two things that really helped. First was a textbook I read in elementary that had short stories about addictions, followed by self-introspection activities that were actually pretty helpful.

Second and biggest one was one time we had a recovered addict coming to school and have a down to earth talk with me and my whole class about what it feels like to take drugs and become addicted.

But cartoons? Nah.

They did on me. I didn't drink or do drugs until I was 21 even though my parents didn't mind what I did. Same for my siblings. I think they let the DARE program and very special episodes get the message across.

Thanks to The Simpsons I have no desire to touch alcohol.
I know doctors say you should drink a glass and a half but I just can't drink that much.

>doctors say you should drink a glass and a half
not really should, more like that amount a day isn't detrimental to your health

Oof, user...

They sure worked on me. I started drinking at 10 thanks to these PSAs. Linie of thinking was something like 'I'm gonna need to be out of sync with reality to get through the next eight years of bullshit.'

Is there a joke I'm missing? Any amount of alcohol is bad for you. A glass of wine may have some health benefits but so does just eating grapes.

the cartoon all-stars episode felt like animators were on drugs themselves

I don't follow. PSAs drove you to drink because they are dumb and you are smart?

I'm not gonna blog post here. Let's just say I grew up in a place where you could set your watch by what firearms the local gangs were using on each other. PSA says drugs and booze will fuck with you, and my thought was that reality is pretty shit as it was so what the hell. Not sure where you got your opinion.

At best those episodes had no effect. I didn't do drugs or alcohol because I wasn't raised around them in my immediate family and I have a phobia of becoming an addict so I won't touch the stuff. Kinda ironic cause now weed is legal here, tons of people vape, and I have a mother-in-law who can mix cocktails like a pro because she's a god-tier party host

Poor cunt, Iktf somewhat myself, I spent my teen years being the most vanilla boring cunt possible and it left me depressed, socially stunted, and unsatisfied. What's worse is this was prompted by my parents, both of which wanted their kids to be little fucking angels despite the fact that they lived it up as well as anyone back in the day, which doesn't seem entirely fair.

Luckily I forced myself out of that state when I realized I was missing out on so much shit and began to live a little when I reached 20-21. But you can never get the years back.

>"What could have been"
Drug addiction followed by crime, prison and death.

Simpsons quote. You Only Move Twice. Please leave Sup Forums, you're clearly not one of us.

my massive fear of losing control of myself handled that, so.

Also I think it was kind of appropriate for Captain Planet.

Don't blame staying clean for why you're boring. It's entirely your fault.

>Were you actually taught about the dangers of or turned away from guns
No

Staying clean was a symptom of being boring, cunt, though I was never boring, just more reserved and less outgoing than I should have been

>DUDE WEED would've made me interesting
the absolute state of virgins
only boring people and addicts need mind alteration to have a good time

As a middle school teacher, the kids I already see using drugs come from such shitty families/communities that they wouldn’t watch cartoons to begin with.

I remember we watched a cartoon in my DARE class where a bunny smoked crack and it actually taught me that I could sniff glue and paint thinner to get high. If I hadn't watched that, chances are I would've never found out because nobody I knew used inhalants anyway.

DARE also taught me what other drugs were out there, so I guess you could say it certainly made me more aware of drugs. I still never did any of them, but why does a 10 year old need to know about meth?

>though I was never boring, just more reserved and less outgoing than I should have been
That makes you boring.

hell no
I partied, only thing I wish I never did was alcohol

most of us didn't grow up in the ghetto, were missing context

DARE taught me that unpopular losers did drugs. Since thats what I was I figured I had nothing to lose

glad I did though
still stayed a virgin

>Implying that mind alteration isn't just one of life's adventures
>Somehow new experiences make you LESS interesting
>People who use drugs will NEVER have fun without them
>Somebody is automatically morally corrupt if they like something that the government doesn't
I swear hearing people who have never done drugs talk about them is the cringiest thing. It's crazy how the same people who sit around and hope that somehow adventure will sweep them away to an exciting life are so afraid to take risks just because ((society)) told them that's how a decent person acts. I doubt anybody has ever lived a life of adventure being ""decent"".

I didn't say I didn't have friends nor that we didn't have fun, nigga, just that I regret not taking more chances or pushing myself a bit more.

No problem. It's funny when you're in the ghetto, and the PSA would come on saying 'just say no'. and such. Meanwhile your older brother is whipped out of his gourd on Xanex and a couple 40s of Old E on the stoop, as well as the whole neighborhood once school let out. Cartoon PSAs were only good for a laugh. Especially Fat Albert.

>t. American
God, I want to get out of this country so fucking badly.

Unless you were smart and partied it up with the suburban white kids, then you get to be the 'token' in the Wall Street circuit.

No, these things vary from useless to harmful in my opinion. They either tried to scare you by giving false facts or talked about things every single person in developed countries knows about already.

Tried smoking when I was 10, didn't like it, never smoked again. Started drinking at 14, drank until 21 (few beers on weekends, vodka at parties), then stopped almost completely: have 3 beers or so a month. Tried weed once, wasn't impressed, kept away from all the other shit because it's not worth the money or the potential trouble. Tried gambling at 18, lost a 100, didn't feel nice, so I never gambled again. Carried a rifle in the army, was never inclined to purchase weapons in civilian life. And anyone with at least two brain cells to rub together would know better than to join a violent gang.

Maybe drugs are considered bad in ass-backwards places like the Middle East and Asia

It did for me. Never cared for the stuff. I considered it weak and pathetic to need hallucinogenics to "enhance" your life or get new experiences. Still do a bit actually.

As opposed to coming here, followed by coming here, coming here, and death.

Being a libertine is as empty a life as being a risk-averse NEET. The hedonism is used to fill up the empty void.

my -parents- taught me shit when I was a kid. They'd remind me if what I was watching wouldnt work or be okay in real life, and always warned me not to listen to any government or public school bullshit like PSAs because their morality is warped as fuck
they let us know alcohol and marijuana are fine as long as they arent affecting your work or school, but nicotine or any of the 'hard' shit is bad and there'd be no tolerance for us even trying it. shrooms sit somewhere in between

no user. it's completely normal to need mind alteration to do something stupid and have a good time.
If you don't need to do that to be stupid and have a good time, then it just makes you weird.

Man, normal people are fucking weird.

No, none of them worked at all.

As a kid I always thought, why would you ever want to do that? All that shit messes with your mind and body.
But as I got older I thought to myself, 'this world is kinda shitty, I wish I could take my mind off of it.' That's when I realized,"oh, thats why people drink and do drugs, the world is just that shit." I guess everyone wants to slowly,but ineffectively, poison themselves,maybe.

Now I kinda wish I grew a taste for alcohol over the years, but that shit just tastes terrible to me.

They convinced me to give them a try.

That comic is written by a retard. The taste of beer can very well be pleasant, especially if combined with certain foods. It's bitterness is perfect for balancing greasy or salty food.

it is indeed extremely retarded on many levels

Is that so? I'm told that alcohol is an acquired taste. I've tried it on multiple occasions and I just cannot get behind it. I always have to force it down. I'm still hoping that I reach the point where I can finally enjoy it like seemingly everyone else on the planet

>tried it on multiple occasions
tried what? there is more than one kind

Any drink offered to me and suggested by friends. You know what I meant.

good beer can be tastier than any soda, but most big brands are total garbage
wine is generally good
eggnogg is pretty much universally enjoyable

there are also many stealthy drinks (usually with vodka) that don't taste of alcohol at all

>Any drink
Well there's your problem.

It's not an acquired taste for most people. I've liked beer since I was a kid, and in general my tastes in alcohol haven't changed over the years - the same things I like when younger I still like, the stuff I didn't like I'm still not into.

Well any suggestions,guy? Cause I wouldn't even know where to begin. All I know is that everything I've tried, Im like,"why the fuck would I ever drink this a second time?" Next time I go out to eat with friends, I might try it.

No, it was watching my wreck of an extended family destroy themselves with booze that made me learn.

No, I turned away from those things because I lived with those people, and knew how shitty my life would be if I followed them.

Aes' is just another sinning brick in Hell's basement
Cubicle adjacent to the killers and rapists
For what?
Drugs and fucking, It's part of growing up
Like cuffs over dumb shits is better than the schools

They drink even more in Europe and parts of Asia, dum dum

These cartoons/ commercials made it seem like getting drugs was so easy. Like youd go into the bathroom and some kid would just offer them to you for free

I grew up with drug users, so it never carried any mystery for me.
Weed burns a hole in your paycheck that I'd rather spend on comics.
Cigarettes stink up your clothes and ruin your lungs, but I have been wanting to try a cigar.
Alcohol is alright if you have self control.
Psychedelics are something I want to try, but they tend to last a while and I don't need to try to go to work blitzed literally out of my mind.

Have never never been to a public high school before? They can be pretty much a black market on various thing including guns.

School PSAs didn't really teach me much. I grew up in one of those areas that had a clear drug problem, but never actually acknowledged it and acted like everything was just fine. And a few of my own family members were drug users, so I just learned on my own.

These PSAs and DARE told me that if I did any of these, they would ruin my life forever.
What they didn't tell me was that it's was okay to do some of them once in a while and in moderation. And that I'd be a little bit cooler and more adventurous for it.

Sometimes I hate my younger self.

I'm chad as fuck and i don't do drugs

I went to a rural high school. The worst I heard of was one of my friends cutting class the smoke pot. They didn't even offer me any

Actually yes, it's due to the fact that the older we get, the less potent our sense of taste becomes. Beer tastes too bitter for kids. I used to hate all beer as a child and even the campaign my parents poured me on New Year's. As a teen I disliked dark beer because of the overwhelming taste. And now I prefer dark because pale barely tastes of anything once you had a couple of bottles and champagne tastes like lemonade, even the dryer brands.

Also, this one PSA scared me shitless as a kid.

It was a bunch of skeletons smoking underground, then it ends with them pulling some kid down with them.

>It's entirely your fault.

Yeah, for not doing any hard drugs

Droids kept me from smoking.
youtu.be/ELPlgKB9n8E

They worked on me. Then I grew up into a jaded pessimist and realized all of my authority figures were liars and charlatans, and that I was a loser who wouldn't amount to anything, so I started doing drugs to dull the pain.

ALL OF THE DRUGS MEANS ALL OF THE JESUS
youtube.com/watch?v=n2uIyrTOQDA

doing meth and heroin should be mandatory for all children

In my case, I've never really acquired the taste for been, even into my 30s

Now liquors and wines I have no problem with, though I only drink on rare occasions. I always turn down beer.

Besides, beer usually takes too long to get a buzz for me. Liquors have a more immediate kick.

Where did Frodo get all those pills? Gandalf, or the elves?

It did actually. It encouraged me not to join a gang my sexy hot Gangster friend was egging to back in middle school

Saw him again years later and he was in jail and married some old hag

Yeah, drugs were just these mysterious things that existed in faraway places that I rarely saw. It was like AIDS.

no one does drugs just because they think it's cool, they do it because they grow up in a shithole where they're miserable and surrounded by it

I didn't do drugs as a kid since my life wasn't a horror show of abuse and poverty and I wouldn't even know where to get any

That episode was really fucked up. And I think Linka's brother ended up OD'ing and dying too. Which was REALLY dark for that series. But then, it kind of needed to be dark in order to drive home the point of it all.

For me, it was a pamphlet on the various ways drugs could fuck up your organs

They didn't have to. My abusive alchy piece of shit dad did a much better job of that than any cartoon

Only anti-drug episode that ever worked for me was that South Park episode with Stan's future self. Every other anti-drug cartoon always goes too hyperbolic like "touching one joint will ruin your life forever" or "doing ecstasy will kill you!" that it makes the message look too silly for actual kids watching, and will probably cause the opposite effect and convince kids that drugs aren't that bad.

Yeah, most people do drugs because they want to get away from how shitty their life is, not because they think doing meth is cool. Most addicts already know full well that drugs are bad, but they're stuck in a situation where it's the only thing that have going in their life. And a cartoon or a celebrity telling people to say no to drugs isn't enough.

All ways time to take a trip to a legal state