ITT: Good things ruined by shitty writers

ITT: Good things ruined by shitty writers.

Yeah Avengers Academy is a great concept. maybe a good writer will use it later tho

Why is Ted Kord in the top left?

I'm still mad.

This is how you introduce diverse characters. Have them appear as a group, they get taught by existing heroes, and if fans relate to them, give them a solo-mini and build it from there.

best part is all of them were original concepts, except finesse if you want to be nitpicky

>create new and interesting characters
>kill them off in your hunger games fanfic
BRAVO MARVEL

mettle was the only one to bite the dust

I was so mad that they never actually explained how Hazmat got her powers under control, I was really hoping that we’d find out that she was studying Tai Chi with Radioactive Man as a way to keep her powers in check. Instead no reason given during Avengers Undercover.

>Avengers Undercover
that was so shit even compared to arena, also azmat getting wet for anachronism so early after mettle death was despicable

I still feel bad about Red Raven.

I kind of wish Lolilock would have come back in something

Only good thing was Darkhawk BTFOing Arcade and saving the day like a real OG

I dunno, the one thing I really liked from that comic was Arcade himself, I always kind of saw him as a joke d-lister, but he seemed genuinely menacing during Arena. I could only imagine how good it would have been if they would have had a quality writer write that comic.

Reptil was killed too.

He was? I thought Pym said something about him recovering from the radiation explosion at the end, or something like that.

>liking "why so serious while I'm raping your anus" "nothin personnel" "literally says kid after he kills Mettle" Arcade
There's a reason he went back to his old personality.

Fuck Waid.

It was ambiguous.

But I think there was a rights issue because the character came from that kiddy cartoon.

Oh man, I wanted this to be good so badly, I liked the team minus Hulk, I had no idea this would be so bad at least we have bits like this to remind us how dumb Waid actually is

Wait wait wait...Waid made the Flyclops meme an actual fucking thing?

God I was so pulling for this book after Civil War II made all the adults look like assholes

But all we got was a clear example of how truly out of touch Waid is and how desperately Marvel needs an influx of younger talent

I'm honestly afraid that these kids are on their way to meet the same fate as the Avengers Academy kids...

Yep

HOPELLLLES!!! HOOPPLLLEEEES!!!!!!!!!

I assumed since he's never been seen or mentioned again but I guess he could still be alive. I liked that dork.

Hopeless said he left it ambiguous so if someone wanted to bring him back they could.

This is what bothered me more than anything else. It's one thing to kill a character, Im a teen hero fan, Im used to it. But to hook her up, almost immediately, after her boyfriend died with your own shitty OC DONUT.

Fuck that. He couldn't even give them good chemistry or build a relationship. He just had Madam Masque screem OMG OTP!

DON'T YOU MEAN METTLE?

No PTSD here. This is the face of a girl who's ready to move on and get back into the dating world!

To be fair, between Veil and Striker they were one strike away from being out.

He will always be Fortress in my heart.

>Tony is now Director of SHIELD
>huh, that's interesting, as now he has to balance both his role as CEO of a multinational conglomerate, super-hero and pace-keeping official
>nah, just JK, he fucked up, shared his tech and now Norman Osborn is running the show
>also he's broke and braindead again
Sure, we got one great run and a few good Fraction stories out of it, but instead of regressing, Stark should've moved to SWORD and turned Stark Industries into Stark Universal.

humphries ruined it
I heard he's been a better writer recently but man that guy had a non stop output of shit.

I think that’s Gravity.

>the size of those wrappers

Does Superior count as wasted idea?

Red Skull x Jubilee OTP

Sure, yeah. There were much more stuff to explore.

>posting the edit

what i mean is they aren't legacy characters or have any relationship with other heroes

Miss you boy

Fuck, it hurts mang

I know Azzarello’s run is highly controversial, people either hate it with a passion or call it da best wonder woman evaaarrr. Whatever the case, I was one of those that liked it, and thought a lot of elements and characters introduced within it were the perfect germs for many more interesting stories if properly used.

AND THEN THE FINCHES HAPPEN.

Jesus fucking Christ, I don’t think I’ve ever saw a more sharp, aggressive nosedive in quality in a book. Yeah, sure, let’s give one of your A-Listers to an entirely untested writer and her relic of the nineties husband, no way that can backfire!

I dont get how stuff like this doesn't sell, it was fun and I always enjoyed reading Avengers Academy since Komodo and Teachmaster.

Fuck you Jeff Parker.

I think this is why in the last three years I didn't take Marvel's push of new characters seriously. Because if they were willing to do Arena, what's stopping them from doing the same to the new crowd?

Because all the new characters are just gay female versions of existing big name heroes.

I find it really weird that they needed to kill Virginia Dare off just because she was becoming the Gwen Stacy analogue. Or how the world just suddenly turned into partly "regular history" at the end of the Spider-Man 1602 miniseries. Just felt like too many lost opportunities.

That said though, I do wonder what a Captain America created with a serum that used 1602 Spider-Man's blood would be like.

I thought Virginia Dare was killed off because she was too different from a Spider-Man character, and God forbid something with Spider-Man be a little different.

For the longest time I didn't know who that was so I was like why does he look like redskull, is this him from an alternative universe where he's good?

>Rich and Beta Ray Bill could have been there mentors. Teaching them how not to be just like the heros there were based on but something better.

It would have been better than what we got.

>and God forbid something with Spider-Man be a little different.

I think it depends on how good something different is. Simply doing something different isn't enough to sway me. But I liked USM having Peter Parker and Kitty Pryde be a thing and I liked Marvel Adventures Spider-Man because Peter having different love interests (Chat and Emma Frost) there worked on the strength of their character (in contrast at the time ASM introduced new love interests and they came off badly)

I think Marvel 1602 was drastically different enough and had better story opportunities to allow differences. It's a complete waste to imply the 1602 world just eventually turned into regular history world but with a Captain America powered by a super soldier serum that's made from diluted blood from The Spider

This cover is still one of my all time favorites.

I had the same thought after I got into the New Mutants a while back. If they're willing to nuke the 85% of the cast for no real pay off then no new character really matters.

That's Mettle, aka Fotress, aka Ken Mack, a character who debuted in 2010's Avengers Academy. Sup Forums fell in love with his goofy face in the previews and began shooping it onto everything. Then we read the actual comic and found he was bro of the year all years and everything was great.
Then the comic got cancelled and he was brutally killed off in a shitty Hunger Games cash-in called Avengers Arena.
FUCK Dennis Hopeless.

Bendis

Don't forget that the Academy writer/s caught wind of our shenanigans and made a shoutout in the comic itself.

And yeah, Arena essentially cemented Hopeless' reputation on Sup Forums as a hack in one to three issues.

i love how meta the comic was like that time striker mention reptil appear in a kids show because kids love dinosaurs

Until we turned on him.

I wasn't around for that. I was just asking for Hazmat nudes.

I read that around the same time as AA. This was in the middle of "ANOTHER TITAN DIES" as well.
I remember wondering to myself why comic book writers wanted me to read about dead teenagers quite so much.

I'll give them a little credit, they went for the shotgun approach. Make 7-8 new characters and when a few get popular "deal" with the others somehow, usually by gruesome murder.

>ten seconds

wew lad

seeing elixir off striker was really satisfactory

Culling the majority with the bus explosion was a fine idea and could've been a really great story. It was picking off the individual kids afterwards with no breathing room and then shoving K&Y's pet character to the front that left a bad taste in my mouth.

>and then shoving K&Y's pet character to the front

Literally nothing wrong with that.

This is dumb. Really dumb. If his blasts had pushback, all that pressure would be going to his eyes. The pressure on his neck alone would make it snap.

Cyclops is never shown taking recoil from his own blasts and if he wanted to fly using them, he'd use a setup like pic related.

You know what I hate? The fact that we have probably the lamest, more irritating teenage heroes currently in circulation, and they won't ever do to them what they did to Avengers Academy and the New X-Men. It's so fucking infuriating.

Shit got old real quick if you weren't a waifufag.

And that’s how we know that Waid is an idiot, he saw a meme and added it into his comic without thinking about it. Still, I love me some Flyclops, do you happen to have the page where he’s shown flying down at Norman?

There are articles out there where K&Y said they wished they killed more X-Kids and then talking about how awesome X-23 is.

Every writer does that, at least it's not Luke Cage having an argument with his wife for the whole issue.

I know. It wouldn't have been so bad re: Laura if they could just write her objectively but everything became about poor X-23 and her angst and how Emma was such a bitch to her and on and on.

Gage did a pretty good job of juggling his cast and managed to incorporate Laura into the team fairly well.

im sorry mettle. ;_;

If they kill Sam I'll stop reading marvel

It's literally the problem whenever you write a character who was experimented on. They take over every single fucking story they get introduced into. Just like how Stranger Things has to come back to Eleven saving the day.

girl red raven died

>and how Emma was such a bitch to her

They still showed Emma in a good light when she wasn't fucking with X.

>Just like how Stranger Things has to come back to Eleven saving the day.

Eleven is the only character in Stranger Things with superpowers. They had to make Hopper a ridiculous gary stu for him to even compete. Of course she's going to save the day. That's not really comparable to a book about several dozen superhumans.

>HALTEN!

But that's the thing. Experimented on characters are always miles beyond every other character in terms of fighting abilities and skills. The only thing they suffer with is personality, and that they always work on.

They ruin every fucking story they are in.

It's comic books. Don't overthink it.

Laura x Tykeclops

Bendis should be shot for how much damage he did to the X-Men

Catwoman after Brubaker left was a steady decline, then things got really terrible around One Year Later. Bad shit includes:
>Selina fucking Slam Bradley
>Selina having a one-night-stand with Sam Bradley, Slam's son
>Selina getting pregnant because of that one-night-stand
>Selina naming the kid Helena then getting Bruce to help her get rid of her through adoption
>Selina trying to get Zatanna to remove her memories of her daughter because she felt guilty about putting her up for adoption.