Weekend Sup Forums creation thread

Or /coc/ thread if that's what you look for in the catalog.

Wiki:
the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sup Forumsnservatory_Wiki

Last weekend's thread:
desuarchive.org/co/thread/97519115/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/gAKtFuJV
the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/Family_Unit
pastebin.com/HkVyJRCD
the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_/Co/ccult
the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Science
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Last time:

-The return of Awesome Man and discussion of bad guys for him to fight (pic related)
-More character cards
-Progress on the project tentatively known as either "Barterboy" or "Better Call Conner" happened (see OP pic)
-Stretcherous' plot was discussed
-GG Christmas scripts
-Progress on the Trine first issue script happened
-Other stuff I didn't mention

So, where will we move /coc/ to, now that plus4chan is about to shut down and Sup Forums is dying?

>Sup Forums is dying
We got a funnyman over here

We know more or less what Stretcherous does after she saves Blackstrap, but what happens to her? Does she still have to be on the run? Does she finally just get to rest as her little sister new job supports them?

It's almost Christmas time! What are the people in /coc/ doing to celebrate?

Drawing Audrey

She'd probably be on parole or back on the run or something like that given she's done a lot of criminal activity.

Feels like someone says that every year.

He probably fell for the alarmist fear mongering caused by the recent batch of malware ads, which seem to have been mostly on boards like Sup Forums from what I can tell.

Something about a new script that lets ads bypass adblock caused some big huge stink, but I've yet to find any proof, nothing but conflicting information there.
Unless your processor is running a lot more than it should be, then you probably didn't get any malware.

The wiki can have forums (they are currently disabled), but I sincerely doubt anyone from here would ever be arsed to move to any other site.
Given the almost nonexistent amount of activity plus4chan's /coc/ board has, I feel that point is proven.

I imagine Haley is in prison but at least Laura can visit her, as she works to bail her out someday.

I was going throw the past thread, and while I love the name Conner since it fits well with the "Sup Forums", I think "Better Call Conner" reads real corny. Why not call this whole thing "I know a guy", since a lot of user myself included were throwing the "that guy" naming convention for a nickname?
The project's name can be I KNOW A GUY, and people meeting Conner through out the story, could still refer to him as "that guy".

I did say tentatively since I am aware the name of the project hasn't been settled on yet.

So maybe she's in a better prison, one that's being run by a hero organization instead of a corporate organization.

Not an user from last weeks discussion, but I like the title.

Exactly. One that Haley is more or less going to if it means knowing both Laura and herself can quite the criminal lifestyle.

It doesn't sound so fucking reference-y, so I'm down for it.
I would like to propose an addendum of no real code name for Conner, and that any client, or whatever, would initially meet him with "so you're the guy?"
Yay, or nay?

So when the Mean Teens abandon Stretch, the Vixen Six, and Blackstrap so they can escape themselves, and they're surrounded by either the prison enforcers or CEO Slick's Bomb-squad or both, that's when either Sup Forumslette or the Aqua Coalition (Of Super Friends) arrive on the scene to save the day?

I can see Sup Forumslette showing up to help for sure as her and Stretch have ran into each other a couple times before, but why the aqua coalition exactly?

Trying to work on a comic script.

CEO Slick is the archenemy of the AC(oSF) and they're set up to fight his Bomb-squad in their stories (I keep forgetting to get back to that pastebin.com/gAKtFuJV ), so if the prison is owned by CEO Slick and his Bomb-squad is there, then the AC(oSF) has a reason to show up since it'd take place after their initial fights.

If I remember correctly, we had said at one point that the majority of Blackstrap's crimes were done covertly enough that they couldn't be proven, so the Sup Forumsllective was able to get a good deal for her.

Same, man. I've been revising for so long and I feel bad for taking so long for it. But I'm having a stroke of confidence today, so I'm that much closer.

I imagine it'd be pretty obviously abusing the system for Laura to end up being her own sister's case worker.

Gotcha. I wonder if Sup Forumslette arrived with them or got there on her own and happen to run into them along the way.

Damn didn't think of that but makes a lot of sense.

I think she'd still end up in a prison, just a nicer prison that actually focuses on rehabilitation instead of whatever torture the one owned by Slick might've been doing.

This is of course only if CEO Slick is involved.

Sup Forumslette could've been tracking Stretch after their initial encounter and was able to realize some serious shit was about to go down.

Did Stretch avoid jail time somehow?

That's a detail i never thought about. What if any crime Stretch did in the issues leading up to this either stayed discreet, failed or someone else took the credit, such as Ma'am taking off with the stolen cash after tying Stretch and Sup Forumslette up.

Or Blackstrap takes the fall for her and the heroes overlook Stretch for some reason.

Given they just liberated a prison controlled by criminals full of who knows what, they probably have their hands full finding new facilities for all that.

I think that's a point against making it a prison. The people holding Blackstrap don't need to be holding her for her crimes, but for the fact she's a valuable research specimen, one of the only successful products of the Apotheosis Project.

Yeah, letting Stretch off the hook works a lot better if they're exposing a criminal superhuman research operation rather than liberating a shit ton of villains.

>We got a funnyman over here

Where have you been for the past week...?

Now in imagining a scene where Laura wakes up and gets ready for her hearing, knowing she is gonna lose her freedom for what she has done, only for Sup Forumslette to arrive to inform her that she is off the hook cause her Haley took the fall.

>He probably fell for the alarmist fear mongering caused by the recent batch of malware ads

I didn't fell for it. They crash my browser. Unless I block them, then the inline script breaks Sup Forums half the time.

That plus archives are being killed, and random IP range bans are being cycled on the boards to encourage passes.

Maybe the site is not "dying", but it sure as hell feels like they are trying to kill it.

Been keeping busy in the downtime between threads. Added tentative designs for the student councillors of the school.

So, not a prison, but a criminal research facility on an island filled with all kinds of horrible things.

It probably counts for something that she helped expose all that other stuff.

I haven't gotten any of that yet.

What board did it happen on?

Also, someone from the 'failed Sup Forums projects' thread brought up the supervillains project and I wanted to append that to Rudy's backstory if that's alright. Giving him retired-supervillain parents who are still bombastic in appearance and demeanour, but want to raise their son to be a role-model hero.

>George's lack of bulge
You're fired, get out

>Barbara's boobs 'n butt pose
Ok, you're unfired.

So they're the ones trying to keep the students from killing each other?

Well that's neat, if a bit different from the original pitch of that project.

And it's not like anything else was probably going to be done with them, so I'm for it.

There wasn't much on them in the first place.
the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/Family_Unit
Though I think their son being heroic as part of his teenage rebellion should be carried over in some way, even if it's not as prominent.
And they should still be overprotective of him, threatening anyone who they think means him harm.

I suspect "I know a Guy" or whatever it ends up being called will end up on the Sup Forums wiki as well eventually.

The original picture had her body contorted too, so I imagine that's one of her superpowers - showing off her front and back end to the reader at all times.

>Though I think their son being heroic as part of his teenage rebellion should be carried over in some way, even if it's not as prominent.

From my perspective the son is actively being heroic because that's what his parents are bringing him up to be, added to which the son has mind reading/controlling powers that he despises and suppresses, because he thinks they're inherently harmful/evil, so he has a complex to work out.

>And they should still be overprotective of him, threatening anyone who they think means him harm.

Absolutely. The father has a more 'tough love' approach and the mother has a more sultry attitude but they mean well. Perhaps to the point of thinking he's being bullied or not being heroic enough at school, so they temporarily transfer over as embarrassing/cool-as-fuck substitute teachers.

I mean, we might as well gear this up to be part of "I Know a Guy". Best used of it, im my opinion. It's not like we were suddenly star making new content for Family Unit.

Though, our lovely Wiki guy would need to change this up the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/Family_Unit in the near future.

>"I Know a Guy"

Is there really no better name for the comic? It sounds generic and doesn't involve the characters' names or jobs or anything

Let me just make a broad generalization about all that. So this setting basically takes place in the school? And this school is big, or ostentatious, enough to accommodate this setting?
So are we talking like big like X Middle-School in Fillmore, big?

lol so you're part of the dumb audience that executives like to appeal to
do you need to have the plot on the title?

>do you need to have the plot on the title?

Nah, it's just "I Know a Guy" sounds stupid as fuck. Almost as bad as ripping off Better Call Saul without even carrying over the rhyming convention

Nah, it's good, though.
But I'm sure we'll see you star shit over the title for weekends to come.

>But I'm sure we'll see you star shit over the title for weekends to come.

Nah. Seems like a waste of time. I'll just think of a better name and use that instead.

So would these be like set-piece rival characters, or just, for lack of a better term, multiple-appearances one-offs?

I guess what I'm really asking is if you're just trying to populate the story at this point, Endpiece?

So why are retired super villain parents bringing up their son to be heroic?

Or does that get outside of the context of the first issue pilot run of the comic?

The whole thing was a mess of tentative stuff, nothing was ever really committed to with it and yeah, it's not one of the big things that ever gets much attention.

There's some stuff I'd like to see carried over from it, but ultimately it's not a huge deal to me. It's just nice to see "assets" being used for something.

I'll get around to editing that page on the wiki once things have settled and solidified enough.
I'll add in some notes on the history of the project, what it started as and how it ended up being incorporated into something else, if/when the time comes to edit that page.

Really, one of the big things that I would like to carry over is how the parents met and how the dad was in a band with Riggs Hagar, but I don't see how that could be relevant to the types of stories 'I know a Guy' would be telling.
It'd be a minor detail of what is possibly a minor character.

Nah, we're good. Thanks.

>It's just nice to see "assets" being used for something.
Fuck me if this hasn't been the motto for /coc/ this year.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just something I noticed. It's pretty good, actually.

I mean, I'm always trying to incorporate stuff into other stuff where I think it's appropriate or I think it'll fit.

I've always been happy about Six Feet Thunder being incorporated into the Motion plot, or The Bloom becoming an AC(oSF) villain, or CEO Slick antagonizing more people, or making that heart monster into something the people who made Stretch also made.
A lot of the times it feels like we come up with characters who aren't main characters, or even main character-ish, so when they find a place to fit in a story, it makes me happy.

>So would these be like set-piece rival characters, or just, for lack of a better term, multiple-appearances one-offs?

I made them up to flesh out the setting a little bit. You can imagine a hypothetical student council in your head, organising the faculty and protecting the school from outside threats, but it may be easier to have an image to work off of. Writers may want to write a story revolving around the council and want a foundation to work with. The picture for Rudy's family helped me think of some context on his upbringing and I can keep that in mind if I write the character. If someone dislikes the setup, they can write and draw a better idea and anons will work from that instead.

>So why are retired super villain parents bringing up their son to be heroic?

Change of heart, and a change of priorities as they got older and thought about having a family.

>Or does that get outside of the context of the first issue pilot run of the comic?

Outside the context. I drew this since I'm waiting on another writer to upload a script for the first issue.

>Really, one of the big things that I would like to carry over is how the parents met and how the dad was in a band with Riggs Hagar, but I don't see how that could be relevant to the types of stories 'I know a Guy' would be telling.

Write a story focusing on the parents' origins and tie it in with their children. I'd love to see stories about family and side-characters to add flavor to the overall setting. Stuff like the various threats that try (and fail) to invade the school, or the catalyst for the rise of augmentation, or the potential for retired heroes/villains as teachers or politicians or game show celebrities.

But again, that's just me navel-gazing while waiting on scripts and things. The intention of the project was to reach a single sub-30-page issue before we consider moving on.

WriterAnon! WriterAnon!

I read last thread that they wanted someone that carries gadgets from foes they've defeated.
That's when it hit me....

We can apply that to most of Theta's arsenal (like maybe a grapnel gun of sorts instead of her usual belt buckle shooting off because I just realized that's a nightmare to accurately depict in panels).
This way, the readers can "subtly" know that she's somewhat of a hardened fighter already with many "names under her belt".
We can also infer that it's some sort of emotional baggage she carries with her ( nearly identical to a trophy system of sorts but I think she would despise calling it like that).

(Her pistol is her iconic weapon though so I don't know if we should make that one of her accrued gadgets or something she's had since.)

HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Huh?

So this area wasnt originally Slick's but something he bought after the experiments that made the Longorias were done? If so then he would probably see Blackstrap as his property.

Also yeah, that heroic deed probably shaved some time off

Awesome, another thread.
so for the conner project, here's the first 3rd of the script.
pastebin.com/HkVyJRCD

how is it so far? is it intelligible? I should have the rest done over the weekend if there's not too much wrong with it. Please forgive my taking so much time with this-holidays.

So in one of the main stories where she's fighting Archenemy she uses a grapple gun, then in one of the solo issues focusing on her we see her without the grapple gun and by the end of it she picks it up from one of her kills?

I think so, yeah. The idea was that Slick bought the facilities that made the Longorias since he was looking for a cure to his own condition. So he bought out that entire research company to that end.

Then he starts looking into the full scope of his purchase and begins trying to capitalize on all of his new acquisitions.

Take your time, especially around Christmas. I'm actually going to be away at my dad's from Christmas Eve until late Boxing Day, so I won't be able to lurk the thread.

What usually ends up happening is one character becomes an anchor and threads a bunch of characters around them.

Diving Belle and Motion are probably the strongest examples. Stretch dragged together a bunch of elements, and Bees Knees has some loosely tied in threads, like Appladay, VFT, and Faggot Tree.

I think identifying where some characters are Anchors and other characters are "the cast" is where we make progress. The mistake in trying to use the Family Unit content all this time may have been thinking that it was a main character, but the fact every prior attempt to use it fell on its face might show that's not the case.

Yeah, in a way.

If we ever get a chance to do solos (an unlikely if) on the three characters I think Theta's sharp growth of her skills includes her to take on many different adversaries (maybe she's stolen some minor tech as well) when we finally do meet her in NLA.

Perhaps Blackstrap was attempting to destroy the labs she was made in but only finds it abandon, when Slick happens to shows up and captures her.

That page looks amazing! Who's the artist? Please

Artist user. He did designs for the project in the last thread as well as this one

No disagreement here. I think there are some characters who can work as both anchor and side cast though.

Most the characters who get pulled into other characters' stories feel like they'd be part of a one-shot anthology series.

Not much opportunity in the main story then.
Not unless she starts stealing some of Archenemy's tech mid battle. If she started doing that, then maybe JD and Wells would take note of her using it later and Wells would start using increasingly silly gadgets to see if Theta would use them if she managed to get her hands on them.

Do you think she'd catch on by the time she's basically using a painted squirt gun with some stuff in it that makes the water glow so it LOOKS like it's a laser gun, but it's really just a squirt gun.

I think the labs would be a recent accusation of Slick's.
Blackstrap's disappearance happens before he buys them out, right?

The Bomb-squad are made after she's already been captured for sure.

>"I got this old dragon-slaying sword. That good enough?"
>"Mmmm - just barely. I carry only the finest of pencil brands after all. But I'm feeling generous today."

I like the idea of him picking up and inspecting the sword studiously, maybe with a ruler/tape measure, and his thought bubble is like "yep, it's a sword alright" or just "I have no idea what I'm doing", before deciding to play it off as discerning the item's quality. Or the student just hands him the sword off-handedly and he fucking falls to the ground under the weight of the thing.

It's a good foundation with lots of potential, but it's also restrained enough so it doesn't feel like it's trying too hard for gags. Gags that elaborate on character/lore/item traits work better than chucking shit and seeing what sticks. I look forward to the rest of your script! Script-writing isn't easy stuff

I suppose an origin for his parents could be told when Connor realizes Rudy has an autographed poster of Riggs Hagar and asks how the hell he managed to get it, it being a valuable commodity and all.

I'm curious to see what name you'll propose.

Names are always the death of projects it seems.

>trading a single pencil for an entire sword

cheap cunt should at least throw in a pack of pencils or a sharpener or something

Apparently swords are a common drop for those hero types.

Bump

Match-Up user putting Doctor versus Doctor against each other. Who's PhD is strongest?
the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_/Co/ccult
the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Science

On the one hand: MAGIC.
On the other hand: SCIENCE.

Given that Dr. Science has time travel fuckery and is probably only alive because he's split the timeline on multiple occasions with horrible unmaking reality paradoxes resulting in him having temporal clones...

I have no idea, I've lost my train of thought.

thank you for your hard work and patience senpai.

>I like the idea of him picking up and inspecting the sword studiously, maybe with a ruler/tape measure, and his thought bubble is like "yep, it's a sword alright" or just "I have no idea what I'm doing", before deciding to play it off as discerning the item's quality.
>Or the student just hands him the sword off-handedly and he fucking falls to the ground under the weight of the thing.
I love this. noted.

>I look forward to the rest of your script! Script-writing isn't easy stuff
thank you! I look forward to more feedback

topkek

>Do you think she'd catch on by the time she's basically using a painted squirt gun with some stuff in it that makes the water glow so it LOOKS like it's a laser gun, but it's really just a squirt gun.

Now I would feel bad if that ever happened.

And we don't have to specifically target Archenemy, maybe she has stolen some sort of weapon cache and stored it all around the Underworld place if she was being hunted by various hitmen.

I'm just thinking in terms of main story line, things that can be shown instead of revealed via exposition or dialogue.

At some point way down the line, after she's made peace with JD and Wells, she might lead them to a warehouse or a bunker or some hidden open sesame shit and reveal a huge stockpile of weapons and odd tech she's never been able to get working. Something for Wells to play with.

Is there anything else I need to do to get the first issue layout easier for you to draw from, or is it set?

I think for now, we'll get there when we get there.

For comic creators in-thread, do you have a easier time working full-script or Marvel method?

I've been working Marvel Method lately to get raw ideas down.

>What board did it happen on?

For me it happens on Sup Forums the first time, which is a board where I barely post, since I rarely play popular current games. I think also once on /qa/. /qa/ also has threads about people mentioning that they get hit by random range bans.
I got hit by the first one maybe two or three weeks ago.

The malware ads crash on some browsers, cause nothing on others, start coin mining for others, and if you block them they remove all SRC tags from the site (unloading all images and stylesheets).

Worst part is that there's zero response from Hiro, we don't know if all of it is intentional or someone is hijacking the site. But the range bans feel like they are there on purpose cause they specifically tell you to buy a pass to get around it.

Nah, I'm not a comic creator. I'd like to be one someday, though.

As for writing ideas, the Marvel method is fine when you're working with an artist that's committed to the story, but I prefer to write the whole thing out before giving to my peers for review. I have a book that's a collection of different comic writers scripts, I liked the idea of Jeff smith's method of roughing a sketch of the pages.

You should specify the paneling.

I thought "that guy" was dropped because it clashed with some other /coc/ character.

I agree with this.

Yeah, YOU would.

I'm not samefagging buddy.

was gonna leave it up.to the artist but I donźt mind doing it. excuse ant grammer I'n wasted ar the moment
as soon as the draft is giod to go I can do the refibed oanel details

We know user, we know.

I didn't say it clashed, I merely commented on it last thread.

I think "so, you're the guy" would be more grammatically accurate though given it's a response to "I know a guy".

Oh okay.

Bump for the night

Question: Does Venus Fly Trap have a civilian name/alias to be referred to when in public or perhaps in private?

None that I know of. Never been discussed as far as I know either.

Having green plant skin and two permanently attached man eating plants to your back tends to limit one's ability to mingle discreetly.

I don't think he should. Lacking even knowledge of his own identity adds to that element of uncertainty with him, whether he is the boy who died in the forest, or just a plant wearing his form.

Honestly even if one of the smarter, more forensic-minded characters were to look into it and discover who he was beforehand, Venus would rather not be told. He wouldn't want the baggage, or to doubt himself any more than he already does. For now he's just Venus, and that's enough.

I've seen someone say "Veronica" before. I think it's something Venus chose for disguise, but might kind of grow into over time.

These titles would make more sense if the character's name were Guy but instead it just seems arbitrary

>Names are always the death of projects it seems.

Is that because of people fighting over what the name should be, souring the atmosphere for creators, or is there a trend of projects progressing fine and only dying after receiving a universal title?

The former.

"I know a guy" is literally something people say when talking about someone they know who can provide a service (usually shady in nature) to someone in need.

If it was "I know Guy" then it'd make more sense if it was his name. But it's "a guy" which really opens up the possibilities that Conner isn't the only guy in this business and that he has rivals.

>If it was "I know Guy"

The person saying "I know a guy" [title of the comic] but the protagonist of the comic actually being called Guy [by coincidence] would tie the two in together, that's what I thought the reasoning behind the title would be. "I Know a Guy".

>which really opens up the possibilities that Conner isn't the only guy in this business and that he has rivals

We should give Conner some scruples (like he doesn't trade augments and drugs/alcohol/money) that other barterers try and capitalise on.

What if that's the title of the first issue? Provided it gets that far anyway.

There being a barter who does trade those things probably makes Conner look bad and gets him unwanted attention from the staff/student council, meaning he'd have to do something about it.

I'm going to see if I can work on this part of the comic while I'm away from home. If there's anything you want to add/change, then I'll look into those changes when I get back and fix things up.

>There being a barter who does trade those things probably makes Conner look bad and gets him unwanted attention from the staff/student council, meaning he'd have to do something about it.

When this first comic gets completed I'd like to expand with a few more stories including this one. We could either take the discussion to a Discord channel (like a new one or borrow the How's Your Webcomic server) or keep discussion to the /coc/ threads.

Isn't the problem with discord the same problem with IRC in that there's a very limited window to see what is said there?

Even with the limited shelf life a thread has, it still gives enough time for someone to save all the relevant discussion on a topic to either their own files or a pastebin for later discussion even if they were not present during the conversation.

That's just what I've observed anyway.

As for the rival, it does make me think of Fillmore and how the safety patrol was always doing the kid equivalent of drug busts. Would the school Conner's at have a safety patrol? Or would all of that be handled by the adult staff given the nature of many of the students?

holy shit, please excuse that

>I'm going to see if I can work on this part of the comic while I'm away from home.
>If there's anything you want to add/change, then I'll look into those changes when I get back and fix things up.
should probably wait until we get things cleared- solidified and official that this is what happens so you don't do extra work for nothing

>We could either take the discussion to a Discord channel (like a new one or borrow the How's Your Webcomic server) or keep discussion to the /coc/ threads.
discords usually go way off course in my experience but we could try. sticking here or HYW sounds good to me at least for now

Merry Christmas, /coc/!