Can we have a thread about this?

Can we have a thread about this?

>covers have nothing to do with the story at all
>one year in and we're still dealing with Stormwatch/WildC.A.T.S. shit
>Ellis slipping into old writing habits with the Weatherman
>where the fuck is gen13

Starting to get nervous about this book.

I like it. There's nothing wrong with a slow burn if it's done well.

The Wildstorm is one of the best examples of how decompression is killing comic books as a storytelling medium. Absolutely nothing of substance has happened in this book. At all. And people wonder why casuals don't read comics.

casuals wouldn't be reading the 7th annual Wildstorm relaunch in any case

Yeah in a couple years when all 24 issues are done, it's probably gonna be a great read.

Ellis has made clear he has no clue what to do with Gen13 and as such wont put them in until he has a strong sense of what to do with them.

The unravelling and exploration of all the elements of the world is super interesting to me personally. As someone who hasnt read original Wildstorm outside of Planetary, I really enjoy the direction he's taking with it

I'm actually impressed by Elli's rate of getting the issues out. I think they only have 2-3 month gaps every six issues.

I need to get around to finally reading this, but I have this groomed conviction that Ellis lost his vibe. Also he seems to be too much in love with decompression.

Yeah, because nothing would fucking happen in it. It's especially bad for comics to be obsessed with trade writing in this age of rapidly consumed media, where you can just get stuff and watch it. It's gotten to the point where entire seasons of tv shows are instantly available to download and binge through. But comics still release a single monthly issue, which invariably contains only a piece of a story. Before the trades autism happened, consumers would get a complete tale every month, with only the rare multi-parter story for special occasions. Combine that with the frankly outrageous price of 3-4 bucks for what amounts to like ten to fifteen minutes, and you have yourself a completely fucked industry.

So frankly, I don't blame casuals for sticking to movies and TV shows while mostly avoiding the comics. The comics are just straight up not worth bothering with.

>>where the fuck is gen13
Two members of Dev8 are in Michael Cray Book, but nothing from Gen 13 yet.

One of the worst reboots/relaunches all year.

There is usually at least one good scene each issue but the dialogue is strange

I feel like I'm missing a beat having read barely any Wildstorm stuff, only Planetary really. What should I read?

I enjoy the Deathbow Kills The CW-universe spin-off

Wildcats 3.0 by Joe Casey
Stormwatch/The Authority by Ellis
Sleeper

he explicitly stated he's writing it like a multi-part novel, and for some people that's really killing the book for them. As an [spoilerEnglish Teacher[/spoiler], it doesn't really mess with the book for me.

Me, I'm loving the slow pacing and build up and characterizations. They brought back jack hawksmoor, and I'm genuinely intrigued by the espionage and conspiracy shit this time around. It also helps the art is fantastic, especially in the paneling and flow of sequences. the samurai fight in issue nine is superb.

I dunno, I just find the book to be genuinely better than most of what DC's doing right now. It's a fresh take from the ground-up, and can be read by anyone. My knowledge of wildstorm prior to this was just planetary and the authority, and I jumped in pretty much with little background knowledge and I'm getting a lot of mileage out of it.

What the other user said, but if you want a bit more:
Authority - Revolution
(you might want to read all of the authority preceding it, it's honestly not a lot, vol1 and vol2)
Definitely check the Kev Specials by Ennis that tie with the Authority
I have a soft spot for Monarchy but it can be confusing
Extracurricular, if you get into it:
Number of the Beast, to get introduced to World's End status quo
(Ultimatum done right)
(Number of the Beast is preceded by Armageddon, Captain Atom- Armageddon and Revelations, in that order i think, but it's not all great)
Then Authority v4- World's End
Stormwatch PHD
Wildcats v5- World's End
There's more, like Moore's wildcats (vol 2 I think), or Majestic, honestly almost all is ok to read, it's my favorite shared universe.

I want it back.

screencap this post.

when they announce wildcats next month, jonathan hickman will be the writer

So...is this set in Prime Earth? I see Cray got his own series and Green Arrow is in there but there's nothing tangentially related to the rest of the Rebirth line or DC in general as far as i've seen outside of some t-shirts.

>strong wyman feminist propaganda shit
>all white men are evil and pathetic
no thanks

Yeah the pacing is really throwing me off but I'm looking forward to reading it all back once all the books are out.

It's OK for this comic to not be for casuals. I agree that this series is especially egregious and nothing has happened but I don't really care if casuals are disinterested in fucking Wildstorm of all things.

the prevalence of dunces really killed this place.

Ok i just read this issue, first one of this relaunch for me.
I think Ellis is getting a bit senile, still quite promising.
It's not Newuniversal level unfortunately.

I'm totally caught off guard with the relaunch and didn't read Ellis in a long time, I'm optimistic tho.

I hope to see more evil bastard Bendix and not some senile shit controlled by fucking Pennington

No, bad moderation killed this place.

Nah, it's great and not for casuals. It's more world building than wide screen action that the original Authority was known for.
Less casuals is great for any comic. Casuals killed the DC Universe and rendered the line unreadable. Thank God Wild Storm is still good.

Eh, that's actually not a bad choice.

Seriously?

Well, GA and Flash are serial killers and Cray murders both of them... so yeah it's totally canon

Oh huh.

Maybe I need to read this new Cray comic.

Nah, it's a new Wildstorm Earth with bits and pieces of the DCU...so it's kinnda like the opposite of the Post-Rebirth Earth where some WS characters are still running around but aren't the focus.

He's a goofy old fuck in this one who takes up a more menacing persona whenever he has to leave his space-station, but it's just a facede that hides his annoyance with not being in total control on Earth.