Marvel Cartoons Circa 2006 to 2013

Why were Marvel Cartoons from 2006 to 2013 so based? Why did shit like Ultimate Spiderman kill everything and last longer than it had any right too?

Also general Nostalgia thread for any of these shows.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8XoRGgpF2qc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

These shows were actually made by fans of the material and were taking their inspiration to bring the comic stories to the screen.

Whereas Ultimate Spider-Man onwards rode the movie hype and only promote the movie things, with the fangirl jokes like "Spider-Man is an adorable fuck up" and "Cap and Tony are so gay"

I'm fairly sure that Chris Yost and/or Craig Kyle worked on the majority of these shows

You see I have to disagree with that because a lot of these shows wouldn't have been made if not for the movie hype.

All except maybe Spectacular Spiderman correspond with a movie that was gonna be the next big thing at the time.

Also, Man of Action wrote Ultimate Spiderman and their whole schtick is "Comic Book Writers making Super Hero Cartoons" and while the later Ben 10 seasons aren't "amazing", The Earlier Ones and Generator Rex were fucking amazing.

Yet all their charm dissappeared in Ultimate Spiderman.

My personal theory is the shift to more quippy/so random comedy due to the first avengers film and Deadpool's popularity in mainstream "Nerd Culture" and "Geek Sheek" which kept on getting worse and worse until it culminated in shit like Teens Titan Go where action is dropped completely.

Plus, it might be controversial, but you don't necessarily have to be a fan of the source material to make a good product (though it helps).

How did everything turn so bad after Ultimate Spiderman came out?

From what I can tell neither of them worked on Spectacular Spiderman, which is one of the best.

Remember when Bendis claimed the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon was 30 Rock meets Arrested Development?

>Bendis
Stopped reading there. I understand everything.

they were all pre-mcu. forced synergy and horrible writing ruined all of the newer shows. i don't mind shit art. also, the lionsgate movies are pretty good, imo.

Super Hero Squad.

Because Jeph Loeb is a piece of shit who has no expectations for cartoons, and doesn't hire anybody who wants to make a good story.

Apparently that one's tied into Wolverine and the Xmen.

WHEN THE BAD GUYS ARE OUT ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SHOUT NOW!

Who's gonna hero up?

youtube.com/watch?v=8XoRGgpF2qc

Aside from EMH (which I believe was planned pre-buyout), all those shows were from before Disney bought Marvel.

>based

Shit Opinions Are Shit

THE FLYING FUCK HAPPENED WHEN HE HIT THAT BUTTON?!

While in general I still think the Justice League cartoon is still the gold standard I have to agree that all of those were actually quite good. Like I was ready to hate Wolverine and X-men because I am not a Wolverine fan but it was surprisingly pretty good. Same for that Fantastic Four thing that had all the makings of a terrible show but was actually very decent.

X-men Evolution was another good one though I am aware opinions vary wildly on that one.

Do they even still make stuff atm?

>X-men Evolution was another good one
It was a horrible show.

>forced synergy
"Forcing Wolverine to the center of everything" was forced synergy with the X-Men movies right?
That was the worst part of that show, you'd think they learn.

>voiced by Ray Stevenson
absolutely based
that's the emergency button for if anyone tries to put him in a book written by Daniel Way ever again

Yost needs to come back.

>based
were you 12 in 2006 by chance

Hulk Vs. Wolverine is the pinnacle if Marvels animated movies.

Shame we’ll never see that kind of quality again.

Also we need more LA/Vancouver hybrid voice casts. Vancouver actually has most of my personal favourite VAs.

Not OP but i was 9 back then and remembering loving all those shows

is it weird I didn’t like Wolverine and the X-Men much.

EMH though is my favourite Marvel show by far.

I liked that Wolverine and the X-Men and Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes share continuity. That hasn't happened with Marvel cartoons since the 90's X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, and Fantastic Four cartoons all crossing over at various points.

Wait what

I was expecting Ultimate Spider-Man to be like Young Justice but fun, especially after reading Loeb's bullshit talking about the writer summits and how they were handling it like a primetime show and after seeing the test animation. It had all of these guys behind the scenes planning it (Four Man of Action guys, Bendis, Dini, Loeb, Quesada) so in hindsight, it's not surprising that the tone was a mess. They could have used EMH and Planet Hulk as the blueprint for how they approach things but Loeb had to destroy everything and remake it in his image.

It was always weird to me that Loeb replaced Fine and Yost on EMH with Man of Action but they still had to get Yost to go in and write scripts after they messed with what he had planned. If Loeb was going to cancel the show anyway, why couldn't Yost get to stay on as the story editor or finish the season how he had it originally planned? Why did Josh Keaton and Daran Norris have to be redubbed when USM was clearly not connected to EMH? Letting Loeb get control of animation was such a mistake. It's like if they replaced Feige at Marvel Studios with some random other movie guy after the Disney buyout when things were already going well.

Craig Kyle has a producer credit because he was in charge on Marvel's side and I guess Sony's would have to run some stuff by him but other than that, he wasn't involved.

The Mutant Response Division from WATX is mentioned when Wasp catches Whirlwind and the shows had the same Nick Fury VA.

Loeb was the guy who said "Nobody cares about anyone but Cap, Iron Man, Thor and Hulk" with EMH's. GOOD LORD, this is why so many comics get ruined.
You only fail upwards in Hollywood, and Loeb has movie credits.

>All except maybe Spectacular Spiderman correspond with a movie that was gonna be the next big thing at the time.

Spectacular was made to tie-in with Spider-Man 3, even using the movie's suit and some Raimi scenes recreated.

Still damn good and stood on its own, though

It was inspired by the movie without trying to be the movie, the same way that BTAS was.

That was originally the plan, but after WatX was cancelled, they abandoned it and made EMH its own thing. That's why there's contradictions between both shows.

Good, it would have been hard to redeem Pietro after the way WATXM ended

It was a Wolverine show that was commissioned, to coincide with X-Men Origins. Craig Kyle wanted to add all of the other X-Men stuff. They were going to revamp some things in Season 2 like having Scott try to be more of a leader so chances are that it might have felt more like a X-Men show in Season 2 but I'm sure Wolverine would still be the biggest star.

There's no secret to it
Jeph Loeb as the new head of Marvel TV canned everything and gave all the contracts to his own studio, Man of Action, and his other buddies

That describes a lot of the DC cartoons WB did to tie in to the movies, not just B:TAS. Legion of Superheroes, The Batman, Brave and the Bold, Beware the Batman, Green Lantern, etc. It's a great type of synergy that I wish Marvel did, instead of just trying to replicate MCU movies and moments into their shows.

Friendly reminder that Wolverine and The X-Men takes place in the same universe as Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and that it's set right after it.
The scene in the first episode where Logan is riding back to Xavier's School on his Motorcycle is intended to be

Also the Hulk VS movies are set in the same universe and Hulk VS Wolverine in the very least takes place prior to EMH.

EMH was a pretty good blend of MCU and comic ideas.

They could have kept the same tone and quality of writing with more merch friendly designs but that wasn't good enough for them.

>HvsW bruce banner design is the same as EMH
FUG

Same VA

EMH even got Carol’s body right

And hair

I'll be interested to see if he ever comes back. He didn't have a real fallout with Marvel as far as we know, but it's pretty obvious that Marvel wore him down with their cancelling everything he was working on every time.

Don't know what he's even doing anymore outside of writing maybe one in twelve Rebels episodes.

>Sheek

>"Forcing Wolverine to the center of everything" was forced synergy with the X-Men movies right?
That was happening before the X-Men movies.

I always liked the art for the F4 cartoon but Cartoon Network gave it such a bad timeslot that I never got a chance to really enjoy it. Is it worth going back to watch? Is the writing any good?

Huh, best Punisher adaptation ever.

last thing I saw him credited for was Silver and Black for Sony (Not sure what he can do with that) and the last two Thor movies

I still think it's pretty enjoyable
Sue was awesome on this show
I'm not a big fan of Johnny but that probably more to do with the voice
I would liked to see Yost get to do a FF series that was in line with EMH and not comedy-adventure to match the flicks
The designs were a lot of fun due to it being animated by Frenchies

>"Wolverine and the X-Men is good" meme

90s TAS may be a show of many faults, but I gotta give it credit for something, it actually used its best villains sparingly (yeah yeah yeah, Kingpin's an exception because he's the series' overarching bad guy. You know what I mean). It understood that the less you use Venom, the more people would be excited to see his next appearance. Meanwhile, Ultimate Spider-Man just shoves him down your throat every time it can to the point where you get sick of it.

not to mention Fred Tatasciore and Steve Blum as Hulk and Wolverine but they're the go to voices for the characters anyways.

Good lord I loved Kingpin in that show.

Roscoe Lee Browne's rich and sophisticated voice was a delight to listen to.

Johnny was a total fuckboy.
Frogman the real mvp

Kurt was great on this show
It's too bad they couldn't focus on a likable character like that more often instead of Wolverine dicking around

I really like how they treated Magneto and his kids as the royal family of Genosha.

Random cutie that will never exist again

I think he's working as a script doctor for Disney now. But Loeb pushed him out of TV pretty hard. EMH deserved a third season. Sucked because he was always super excited about EMH and they had tons of ideas for Season 3. Also made Wasp a great character for once.

He was the reason we got an awesome classic Hawkeye, too, since he's such a huge fan
He knew how to handle Hulk, Pym, and Panther as Avengers, too.
He knew how to make Hulk a grouch without becoming a manchild
It's too bad that he didn't get to handle Yellowjacket how he wanted though and it's a shame that he barely got a chance to use Spider-Man

God, Sue was so hot in this.

>we could have had Jim Lee costumes again

dammit

She had a pleasant design

They were already using his Rogue outfit
They tried to get as many looks as they could in flashbacks and such

Guys, the problem with current Marvel animation is clearly Disney, I don't know why we'd be pretending otherwise.

We're stuck with all the bullshit until the rights go to someone else. Which won't happen for at least another 20 years.

I miss when B and C list books had Yost doing his best on them, rather than just having Aaron or Hopeless take a steaming unreadable deuce on everything I once enjoyed.

It’s not Disney, it’s Loeb specifically.

The MCU works because for all its faults it’s written by people who genuinely understand the IPs they’re working with, and are able to translate that excitement for the source material to wider audiences. THIS IS WHY THESE CARTOONS WORK. But inexplicably the reigns are controlled by a guy who clearly hasn’t made it past the late 80’s as far as cartoons go, and sees them as walking toy commercials.

>But inexplicably the reigns are controlled by a guy who clearly hasn’t made it past the late 80’s as far as cartoons go, and sees them as walking toy commercials

I always thought of Iron Man Season 1 as an 80s cartoon out of its time, and Avengers Assemble Season 1 is Iron Man Season 1. So it's like 30 years from being acceptable.

I was 10 actually and rewatching shows, Marvel ones have held up amazingly well compared to the Justice League/Justice League Unlimited shit.

Batman Beyond and the Brave and the Bold still hold up though.

Disney has nothing to do with the production of the modern Marvel cartoons outside of airing them.

They're all handled completely in-house by Marvel Entertainment. So the blame lies with them.

>Why were Marvel Cartoons from 2006 to 2013 so based?
They weren't. You were just a kid.

Spec and EMH are the only good cartoons there.

But we still agree that Unlimited was better hands down though, no? Because it was, hands down.

I never really got the Man of Action or Ben 10's appeal even thought I like Joe Kelly and even some of Joe Casey's comic book work. Maybe because of the two or three literally who other member.

Armored Adventures is a pretty good reimaging of Iron Man's rogues
World's Greatest Heroes is pretty good for how it uses dynamics between the FF and their role as science adventurers/philanthropic group

I still don't understand how Loeb wasted Dini.

Ghost was top notch

Earth's Mightiest Heroes was made to preemptively hype up the first Avengers movie.

Dini isn't infallible

For sure' but what was the point of hiring him if he wasn't actively working on a show?

I don't get what Loeb's problem is with Marvel cartoons compared to how he runs other Marvel shows. Say what you will about the Marvel Netflix shows, but at least Loeb tries to get some talent on those series, and make those shows look like the shit you could watch on HBO or Showtime. And because of that, now you've got people who otherwise aren't capeshit fans talking about Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Sure, that run of shows has hit some bumps, but I see people talking about those shows and theorizing where those characters will go with genuine interest and speculation. Whereas for cartoons, I don't hear anybody doing that with recent Marvel cartoons. Loeb doesn't have those standards or ambitions. To him, an animated series is a bare minimum he has to make to meet quotas instead of an avenue to tell an interesting story or adapt a comic in a new way.

Marvel will never use Vancouver pool ever again, in fact every franchise that isn’t Hasbro/Horsies are allergic to the north

Wolverine and the X Men is the least embarrassing X Men cartoon to watch

Eh? Did you actually go past Justice League's first season in your rewatch? Season 2 and JLU are all much better than it.

Well they were using them for the Marvel motion comics a few years ago.

Brian Drummond made one Hell one of a Wolverine that rivals Steve Blum for me.

JL/JLU is so fucking cheesy. The artstyle is dated and the writing is SO BAD!

I watched the first few episodes of season 2 and couldn't stomach it anymore after a certain point.

>Wolverine and the X Men is the least embarrassing X Men cartoon to watch
I don't disagree, but it is a pretty mediocre show overall.

It's amazing how many Marvel shows didn't get past one season.
Now the Loeb shows can make it to 5.

cutie

I know SSM's still tangled by legal issues, but it sucks Loeb couldn't throw Weisman a bone and give him another Marvel character to make a show out of. And because these Marvel cartoons have a safety net, Weisman wouldn't need to worry about that three season curse.

I agree. Nightcrawler was the shows best character. For my many gripes with this show, Kurt was not one of them. Liam O’Brien is fantastic as him.

Madam Masque was top tier.

Don't bone your archenemy's daughter

God I’m regretting not getting into Worlds Greatest Heroes cartoon now.

Sues design in it.....she’s hot and cute. Goddamn.

Seriously I want more designs inspired by this.

It’s a shame really.

I bet Weisman could do a great job with an Avengers or X-Men show.