Why do so many people like the bad boy/rebel character so much? Why do companies push them as the main characters?

Why do so many people like the bad boy/rebel character so much? Why do companies push them as the main characters?

Spiderman and batman are mains So no.

but bats is pretty much the bad boy of the justice league anyway.

they get shit done?

You can't really explain why. People just like antiheroes and underdogs.

No.

Yes.

No.

Not an argument :^)

It is. It's backed by facts.

>Why do so many people like the bad boy/rebel character so much?
A lot of people like a little edge here and there. Some like a lot of edge. Some people think it's "badass". For others it merely provides a nice change of pace from goody goody superhero who can never do any wrong.

>Holding sais like that
Retarded

>underdog
>they are often the most powerful
>overshadow the leader of the team

For the audience's side of things my suspicion is it's a reflex.
While I won't say superhero comics started out straight laced paragons, since the methods and thinking of the heroes early on were quite odd, as the CCA came into effect things definitely became rather restrained from straying too far even if they wanted to.
After years of neutered concepts and characters the antithesis of it was jumped on eagerly for obvious reasons.

It likely lingered because now the sort of character who embodies rebellion is what draws an audience to see what tension or defiance they'll bring to conventions. Yes I know there's an irony in that their abrasive nature has itself become canned and cliché, but no idea once well received is really immune from that.
Which answer your second question, companies push them to get money. It's that simple.

Escapism. People naturally want to live through a character who gets to break the law and go against authority while not getting reprimanded/looking badass while doing it. It's a lot like how many kids make edgy ocs, it's a way for people to vent their frustrations in a way that a lawful good character can't do.

Correct, most people can't into logic.

>WAAAHHH WHY DO ARTISTS DO TROPES THAT WORK WHY AREN'T THEY AUTISTIC LIKE MEEEEEE

Because they think it's cool.
It's not just Sup Forums stuff, look at how many Vegeta fans there are

I hate Raph but I do love Logan.

yeah, it's not like Sup Forums's ever obsessed over a bland but edgy "rebellious" character before...

It's a cathartic release; heroes are ideally us both in intergity and morality. The good of humanity.

Anti-heroes are otherwise the opposite; they live up to our daydreams and fantasies.

Take Rick Grimes of the Walking Dead for example, when he brutalistically slaughtered the Marauder to save Carl, Kirkman deceptively played on the readers emotional cord. We've all been in a situation where we want to protect someone close to us and often entertain the fantasy of "what if I do cross the moral boundary of that line" and sure enough as the reader witness this page can't help to sympathized with Rick (at this point in the comic he did became the anti-hero) because readers felt he was justified in his actions.

People think Wolverine is a good character until their voice changes and their acne clears up. Then they realize that every single male character who was in Giant-Size X-Men #1 was far superior to Wolverine in every way, starting with Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Professor X, Sunfire, Thunderbird, and Angel. The only ones who are almost as shitty as him are Ice-queen (and before Bendis, he was superior) and Beast (who's a traitor).

Little boys look up to Wolverine, because they're the only ones short enough that it's possible. Real men look at Cyclops, nod, and say "There's a man who does what he has to do."

Raph is just the best boy

was Ralph a rebel in the eighties cartoon too?

They all more or less fell in line, he was just more of a wise ass than the others.

Didn't know Scott Summers posted on Sup Forums

They are the EXACT same character.

The facts say otherwise.

>Then they realize that every single male character who was in Giant-Size X-Men #1 was far superior to Wolverine in every way, starting with Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Colossus

I guess I can see how someone might feel that way

>Professor X, Sunfire
Okay, I'm not so sure that flies without Patrick Stewart or James McAvoy

>Thunderbird, and Angel
Alright now you're just taking the piss

Obvious comment but I lol'd

When you graduate high school you’ll realize they’re both equally valid characters and Wolverine being mainstream popular doesn’t make him worse

>When you graduate high school you’ll realize they’re both equally valid characters and Wolverine being mainstream popular doesn’t make him worse

Hahahaha... I've been reading the X-Men since the 70's. When I say I don't care for Wolverine, he's earned it.

Movie Wolverine isn't anywhere near as bad as comic Wolverine, except for the Jean stuff. Some of comic Wolverine's highlights:

Left Department H because he had fallen in love with Heather Hudson, despite her being married to James Hudson (this one was a bit honorable, because he was friends with James)
Trying to steal Jean from Scott from day 1 (notice a pattern).
Still tried to get with Jean even after falling for Markio
Has tried to kill almost all of the X-Men at one point or another... damn near succeeded with Rachel.
Blames Cyclops for letting kids fight, but is constantly picking up underage girls as sidekicks.
(Ultimates) Is heavily implied to have at least tried to fuck a teenage MJ while mindswapped with Peter Parker
Is heavily implied to have fucked Squirrel Girl, who would have been underage.
Led X-Force in assassination missions (didn't he try to kill Rachel for the exact same thing?)
Was just fine with killing kid Apocalypse
Tries to kill Hope on the possibility that she *might* become Dark Phoenix someday (guess it's OK to murder kids, but not let them fight for their own survival)

Although some of this stuff is pretty shitty, his hypocrisy about it is what really annoys me about him. At least back when Claremont was writing him, Wolverine had enough self-awareness to know he was being a shit... that's why he left Department H, and he would occasionally apologize for being an ass. These days, he's fine with killing kids just because they MIGHT turn bad some day, or is OK with going after any woman he wants even if she's not interested or seeing someone else, but he'll start preaching at anyone else who does something not even remotely as bad as the shit he pulls.

Nigger they used to put Wolverine on the covers of comics he wasn't even in.

People fantasize about having the confidence to not give a fuck.

>Nigger they used to put Wolverine on the covers of comics he wasn't even in.

Per the Marvel Wikia, from mid-1990 to mid-1993 (33 months straight), there wasn't a single month when Wolverine didn't have a guest appearance in at least one non-X-Men book. In January 2009, he had appearances in 24 different titles.

The thing about the TMNT is they didn't pick their own weapons, Splinter gave them ones he thought would teach them something.

Leo has deadly swords because a leader needs to practice restraint. Don has a stick because he likes to overcomplicate things and nothing is simpler. Mikey has nunchucks because he's lazy and they're very difficult to use, forcing him to focus. Raph has sais because they're supposed to be purely for defense. Remember that real sais are blunt.

Raph however, being the edgelord that he is, says "fuck that" and instead of EVER using them to catch weapons and disarm people like they're supposed to, sharpens them into points and holds them that retarded way so that he can stab and punch at the same time.

Raph doesn't have the years of tragedy and regret thing going for him.

Action is more of a masculine thing as emotion is more of a feminine thing.
What I'm saying is that a man of aggressive action is a heavy approach to masculinity that people can really get behind.
A bad boy is also a good contrast when making a basic fictional group/team.

>they get shit done?

If anything, they cause far more problems than they solve. Especially Raphael.

because they take no shit
maybe in a lot of cases these guys can just be assholes who don't agree with anyone
but instead of fucking up, turns out they're always right

Thats because in the 90s is was all cartoon wrap up endings with GI joe morals and a fade to black over one last corney joke, it was fucking terrible and once people got a taste of anything more complex at all they went crazy for it.

>brutalistically slaughtered
he cut up his corpse and turned the fucker into an ugly-ass building?

I understood this comical remark.