Season ends on a massive, game-changing cliffhanger

>season ends on a massive, game-changing cliffhanger
>it gets resolved in the first half of the next episode

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gK3C12STqYk?t=588
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>idiots keep expecting series to get real after pulling shit like this ten times

Yes OP, we know you didn't like season 3 of R&M, we don't need another thread bitching about le female writer essjaydoubleeoos.

This was about the flash more specifically but sure

Name 5 examples where this happens

I thought you were talking about Nick's TMNT

I thought it was about the Pony show?

What's wrong with this?

>season ends on a good note, everyone happy
>next season it all crumbles in the first episode because status quo

>season finale wraps up main plot of the entire series, gives all the characters conclusive endings, and feels very much like a series finale
>get another season anyway that awkwardly tries to continue the story to mixed results

>Writers write themselves into a corner
>Instead of admitting they were wrong they continue the shitshow

>Episode before season finale sets up the perfect plot to the continue on
>it actually brushes it off and instead have a dull and anti climatic season finale

this seems a bit specific, what are you talking about

South Park season 21

Actually I have this problem with Dragons' season finales.
I guess they just fit into a much larger series wide picture, but it's annoying that the show continues for seasons without ever really addressing what its finales mean.

Animators simply can’t story arc, let’s face the music.

Oh, I see now
I instinctively thought about the Flash too
Man, that was so fucking terrible

I remember reading an extremely long fanfic that concluded as season 6 of Angel before the comic.

>Angel Investigations resides in an old theater
>Wesley still dead
>Fred lives the basement
>Gunn still is around and non-demon
>Spike is a human due to Angel forfeiting the contract
>New players appear trying to take over LA
>Angel is no longer a regular vampire and also experiencing visions

Give me three examples of this
No, seriously, give me examples, I'm curious

>show(s) build(s) up antagonist/problem through many seasons or episodes
>Has the plot line end in the most anticlimactic way possible
>fans of show(s) still defend these anticlimaxes on the basis of subversion, symbolism, and artistic expression

I really hate people sometimes. The mental gymnastics are so annoying.

Not Sup Forums but Parks and Rec had the worst example of this I have ever seen.

How about the opposite?
The season ends on a massive game changing cliffhanger that quite literally turns it into an entirely different show that takes what was an episodic comedy an dramatic 13-part story to resolve?

>show constantly hints at interesting lore and concepts
>never revolves around it and instead concentrates on boring, irrelevant shit

Can you guess the show?

Examples?

This is basically every fucking Anime that's come out on the past 5 years.
So no, it's gonna be extremely difficult trying to pinpoint one specific show or cartoon.

>antagonist is built up for an entire season, if not multiple seasons
>it takes less than a minute for them to go to at the height of success to completely defeated.

Steven Universe is the obvious case, but I'd say there are definitely other examples.

LoK, still pissed about S1, all of the buildup and it turns out he's just a really good bender who immediately abandons his entire plan because he makes one mistake after being taken by surprise by some B list benders that anyone from TLAB could have taken

Are you talking about the dinosaurs in Legends of Tommorrow

I haven't seen Avatar, actually. I wasn't referring to any show in particular

or every single Flash finale

Well, ReBoot had that thing where they thought it was the end so they abruptly wrapped as much as they could up in a super happy everything's great bow.
Fortunately, there were a few plot threads they couldn't quite address, so it's not as jarring when they continue.

Bingo Bongo.

I get unreasonably upset every time I think of Steven Universe's horrible story telling. I honestly can't wrap my head around why they would rather write episodes about whatever the boring fucking townies are doing in there every day lives instead of ones revolving the fucking aliens.

I mean, remember when Steven and the Gems actually went on adventures and fought monsters and shit? Whatever happened to that?

It's sad that the fanbase makes up more interesting shit then the show does.

Legend of Korra
Justice League Unlimited
Arrow after season two

The worse case I’ve seen of it is Supernatural after season five, though.

They really shoud’ve saved Exiled for the final season. The actual final season felt so awkward in trying to go back to being a lighthearted comedy.

Homestuck immediately springs to mind. Also, The Last Jedi for a very contemporary example.

Because the show is about someone who is both a human and a gem, therefore it only makes sense that the show is both about humans and also gems. You want a fantasy sci-fi drama fest with tons of action and plot, but the showrunners never planned to make it that one-sided. It's been about humans and gems from the very beginning, stop pining for something you were never going to get.

but why focus on the mundane when there was so much of interest and they aren't very good at expressing the bland moments of regular life

Not /co, but this was every season finale of warehouse 13, and also included the halfway point of season 4 and I got fooled by it every time.

>season ends on a massive, game-changing cliffhanger
>Spectacular Spider-Man gets canceled.

Because, user, in storytelling you have this problem when it comes to old mentor figures. It's something you see a lot of, you just don't think about it. When you make an older figure show up in a story, you usually want them to be more experienced than your main character in the context of the plot. But at the same time, you don't want them to come off too much like a bad-ass as then your main character becomes irrelevant as there now exists a much more capable character in this universe. In a good story like Star Wars, this role is fulfilled by Ben Kenobi. He's much older than Luke and has a very vague past told to the audience. We know he's fought in a war eons ago but also that he's grown to be a hermit in the later years of his life. What is important is that there's a reason why Luke is more adept in this situation, namely because Ben is significantly older and is losing his touch. So despite Ben being the real moving force in the first act of the film, Luke is still the main character as it is clear there's a passing of the torch going on. This also makes his death very important as it now means Luke is on his own and is now forced to be the hero

The main idea here is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't have every mentor figure being a walking bad-ass as it then makes every moment you share with the actual main character really underwhelming ( *cough cough* Secret Saturdays). Steven Universe does this to the extreme by inverting the usual flow of plot related arcs to townie filler. Usually it's a nice change of pace when a show decides to do an episode about townie life. But it only works well when there's a much greater juxtaposition of action going on with it. By wasting too many episodes on filler, you eventually have the problem of the mentor figures, or in this case SU's Lore as a whole, becoming way more interesting than the actual show

>4 hour old post

You win this round, tumblr

Adventure Time (they take their sweet ass time getting to it), Steven Universe (90% townie, 10% plot), SVTFOE (shipping, still vague about the Monster-Mewman relationship), Gravity Falls (monster of the week then haplessly throw together deepest lore shit into an average tv movie).

Which episode?

but even in that case, you could get that without having to go into every single character in their small town. Connie, Greg, Sadie and Lars (before pink Lars) give a nice foil to the Gems, rendering other town character mostly useless. We're getting an episode soon about some random pink haired woman who didn't even have a speaking role before we get an episode talking more about Diamond occupied Earth and the Diamond's interaction with it. Also, there's little interaction between the Gem world outside Earth, making a pretty wide imbalance for Steven's experience with the greater Gempire and Earth.

>season ends on massive cliffhanger
>series gets cancelled, never resolved

But that is based on a misapprehension of the show's basic premise, it's not a serial sci-fi show with slice-of-life elements, it's a slice-of-life show with sci-fi lore elements.

PLANET REPTIZAR

DOOMSDAY

RIP GI Joe Renegades

I thought he was on about Wakfu

>season ends on a cliffhanger
>kicks off the plot for season 2

>half season talks about world-ending event that the characters spend several episodes prepping for
>the entire thing is resolved with bullshit feels

Yeah SU has shit writing

It just hurts, I'm sorry
The show was honestly really entertaining up until that point and I got really upset

The thing is the first couple of seasons had Steven and the Gems going on adventures, battling gem monsters and collecting artifacts. It had a very LOZ or JRPG vibe but with down to earth themes. Why can't you focus on Steven's human side while also giving us something that's actually fucking interesting like the show used to instead of giving us such "riveting" stories like Steven ending a feud between two restaurant owners or helping the mayor with his campaign? It feels like the Gems are retired or something.

And if the writers of the show really can't muster the creative energy to make stories placed on Earth/Beach City interesting then just focus on the Gem side already.

Futurama
maybe Jackie Chan Adventures
the MiB and Jumanji cartoon ran on the idea

I still cry

Still better than ending the series on a cliffhanger.

Teen Titans, Kim Possible.

>The new villain of the season is responsible for everything bad in the series.
>They could've killed and defeated the heroes literally from Episode 1

If that's true why is Steven this retard who refuses to ask questions and why are we unable to see the hang side of Steven more in conflict with the gem side if the Galaxy. Could go on this existential crisis about how he fuses with people and it might be actually bad. What happens when someone who likes Steven fuses with him by accident and is trapped horrified and never sees him in the same light anymore. Why don't we get him asking about basic shit instead of just never questioning things. Why do we have to sit through him being an asshole and not worrying constantly over many episodes about the date of Lars or realizing that him helping people with mundane problems might be the wrist thing he does and feels powerless to help his friends in space

>Bad guys completely victorious
>Good guys routed, defeated, or killed at every turn
>Even a small saving grace isn't left overlooked and gets wrecked
>Season ends with this cliffhanger "how could they possibly get out of this or recover?!"
next season cancelled

>>season ends on a cliffhanger
>>kicks off the plot for season

that's the shit!

>user so assmad he thinks this post is about his shitty show
shingly jingly yoo ho ho.

ahead of it's time.

JJBA

I don't think this has ever happened in the pony show. They tend to close their storylines quite tightly.

Les Nombriles?

Say Sup Forums, if you were a multimillionaire without many expenses which unfinished series would you fiance and ending for?

At least recent seasons of Adventure Time wrapped up many lore and worldbuilding points.
Not that they didn't add new plotholes but they're not of global scale.

If I were mutlimillionaire I would invest money into making a show that's low-key pandering to my fetishes instead of trying reviving a zombie.

That's cool too. I however feel I can only enjoy my fetish being portrayed in a cartoon when I didn't expect it to show up. If I already know what I'm in for it's not nearly as exciting.

fuck off grim

>Get really into a show marathon through it
>Not knowing their isnt another season and never will
And
>That one character who can't keep a secret unless they cut their fucking tounge off
>That one character whos an activast liberal about everything but is crooked the second something applies to him.

>season ends on the main plot line being resolved, but have some unresolved hooks for next season
>gets cancelled

More likely than you’d think.

I think it was for the joke where since Exiled is off as its own show, if you just watch season 4 and go straight to 5, it does watch like a cliffhanger that was immediately resolved a few minutes into the next season.

I remember that in Adventure Time. but it resolved in two episodes, not half of one

>Staff of show state that they have great, game-changing ideas for the next season
>Show gets cancelled

Name ONE example of this

Keep in mind the context of the show, whether it's meant to be a drama, comedy, tragedy, whatever. Problem is too many shows are trying to be all of them at once and then you get a bunch of hit and misses or fake deepness or inauthentic criticisms etc.

Wait, you mean Calling All Titans arc? That shit is hype when you're a kid though.

Kim Possible I agree though, should've cut it with the movie.

damn you flash

Oh, I know this one, Silver Surfer cartoon.
Thanos destroys the entire universe and the season ends with him trying to fight back but seemingly failing.
youtu.be/gK3C12STqYk?t=588

Not Sup Forums related, but:

Ruroni Kenshin: Hokkaido Arc (now on permanent hiatus)
Hunter X Hunter
Dragon Ball Super

Outisde of Sup Forums there's Scrubs and Death Note

>Show builds up lore and promises a big reveal that it actually delivers on, but the delivery is so underwhelming you wish it had never happened

also

>The villain uses a macguffin to become the opposite of the hero in powers and physical appearance for the finale instead of taking on the hero with their own powers and strategies they've been building over the course of the entire show.

Deserves that last season so bad but I'd refuse to let anyone make it cause I know they'd fuck it up. My headcannon is the bad guys just win. No one can stop The Beast.

Isn’t that how the Thunder Cats remake ended?

>show is legit good and has great potential
>network shitcans it into dead time slots,bombs or outright cancels it
Pretty much any show that isn't a flagship is in this situation to some degree.

I think that was the joke.

>but the delivery is so underwhelming
>the delivery

I’d feel bad for any kid that didn’t know any better.

You guys talkin bout 'venture time over here?

>Show ends with a mind *EFF*

Not Sup Forums but I nominate Supernatural for all examples in this thread except the cancellation one

Yes, every season ends in a way that could be the ending of the show but at the same time opens the door to more adventures if more seasons are made

Not a single season of that show has ended in a cliffhanger

It's sad that movie Thanos won't be anywhere close to this accurate to the comics